George E. Smith Conclave V/s Bojo

Tlscapital

I have a Conclave copy and indeed was struck to discover that a Bojo release existed. Is it really a first issue or is it something else ?

Looking at the credits on both issues I would wonder if Horace Ott would have done the arrangements (and they are great !) and have agreed not to be credited on a first issue (the Bojo one) to start with ?

Then there's a certain Nat Badger who also appears on both Gerge E. Smith & Mary Davis Conclave release that isn't credited on the composer's credit for the Bojo release. Why should he not be mentioned on Bojo ?

Who is Nat Badger BTW ? Is it George E. Smith's real name ? That would explain the name change/swap for the composition on 'don't find me guilty' on Bojo.

Finally, on the Bojo release the 'A' side is 'human' and not 'don't find me guilty' like on the Conclave. His private press album on Bojo, that seem later than late 6T's, is also titled 'I'm only human'. So wouldn't it make sense that there was a 'revival' locally or widelly of 'human' or of Gerge's version more particullary to see a 'private press' re-release. Making the Bojo release a second edition (maybe not fully legit) followed with an LP that seem more to be late 7T's anyway (wich I never had in my hands so I can't judge better what that LP is made of) ?

To prevent any back fire shouts I want to stress that I'm not trying to pretend that I know for fact what I'm implying here, I'm just trying to see if what I thing to be often wrongly presented as first press on Bojo could actually be a second private press thing or not. Looking at all the 'hints' or questions I've provide here above, prove me right or wrong.

Any light shed on this is welcome one way or the other.

Cheers, Tim

post-19710-0-32008300-1355821599_thumb.p

post-19710-0-17217400-1355821612_thumb.p

post-19710-0-05832800-1355821636_thumb.p

post-19710-0-72552700-1355822600_thumb.p

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The LP is on Bojo and apparantley (from those advertised around the net) from 1984.

I would say the Bojo 45 is most probably also from this period.

The Conclave 45 looks a helluva lot earlier (late 60's).

Like you - wouldn't go out on a limb on this - just my tuppeneth!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Edited by Sean Hampsey
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!