Queens Hall Bradford

Ste S

How do, fairly new on here, was looking at the 1980/90's albums in gallery and read summat about Queens Hall, tried adding a file to it but dunt know how, so I'm trial & erroring here.

post-27238-0-83743500-1355571002_thumb.j

I'm wanting to add this to something in the gallery. Can anyone help?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I went to allnighters there in the late 80's early 90's.

Carl Fortnum and Gary Spencer were regular DJ's at that time and were playing lots of new discoveries, that went on to become very big records on the scene.

Social source share

How do, fairly new on here, was looking at the 1980/90's albums in gallery and read summat about Queens Hall, tried adding a file to it but dunt know how, so I'm trial & erroring here.

Welcome to SS. You need to go into gallery, click upload, create new folder and then attach/upload your flles mate. It says 1992 on that membership card - surely that's ten years on?

Peter

Edited by Peter99
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

• 4 weeks later...
Guest scottie

ste,i too was a regular at the queens hall i think ive still got the patch on the picture youve posted great nighter heard a lot of great records for the first time at the queens hall.a`the best pal

Social source share

Queens hall was used for many different events after the Northern dos, I remember playing there at a Rave event in the 90s, great place. Also was Windsor baths ever used for Northern events? another nice venue!

I remember queuing up waiting for the doors to open after there'd been a gig on before (usually some metal or goth band) and all the roadies wheeling the sound system out. Some right sights.

First time I went was in '89 with my old man & Pete Dillon. We used to go to the match, out in town then taxi over to Bradford. I think I went to a few aways straight from Bradford too - Villa in '91 sticks out in my memory.

I hadn't heard a lot of the tunes they played back then - I had been brought up on tapes with the sounds from Cleethorpes, Mecca & Morecambe. I eventually gravitated downstairs & met some fantastic people over those years. I had a big pile of Barry's playlist sheets at home, making sure I grabbed one as soon as I went down. I got a load of mates into going there too after they had been clubbing (everywhere used to finish at 2am back then) and they loved it too.

For some reason the hot water in the 'tea room' stayed hotter for longer than anywhere else I've ever known - it seemed to be still boiling when you tried to drink your tea 10 minutes later & the amount of times I had a red scalded handed the following day I lost count of.

The toilets in there always reminded me of being at the swimming baths - people soaked wet through & the waft of aftershave & deodorant. Strange coughs echoed around the high-ceilinged room.

It was sad when it came to an end. It'll always be a special place for me.

Social source share

I was there once, standing washing my hands and the guy next to me pulled out a syringe, stuck it in his neck and injected whatever was in it.

The next time I saw him he was doing cartwheels in the dance competition.

I did see quite a bit of that. I remember one guy collapsing on the dancefloor - maybe it was after the cartwheels? :D

Social source share

Guest scottie

I remember queuing up waiting for the doors to open after there'd been a gig on before (usually some metal or goth band) and all the roadies wheeling the sound system out. Some right sights.

First time I went was in '89 with my old man & Pete Dillon. We used to go to the match, out in town then taxi over to Bradford. I think I went to a few aways straight from Bradford too - Villa in '91 sticks out in my memory.

I hadn't heard a lot of the tunes they played back then - I had been brought up on tapes with the sounds from Cleethorpes, Mecca & Morecambe. I eventually gravitated downstairs & met some fantastic people over those years. I had a big pile of Barry's playlist sheets at home, making sure I grabbed one as soon as I went down. I got a load of mates into going there too after they had been clubbing (everywhere used to finish at 2am back then) and they loved it too.

For some reason the hot water in the 'tea room' stayed hotter for longer than anywhere else I've ever known - it seemed to be still boiling when you tried to drink your tea 10 minutes later & the amount of times I had a red scalded handed the following day I lost count of.

The toilets in there always reminded me of being at the swimming baths - people soaked wet through & the waft of aftershave & deodorant. Strange coughs echoed around the high-ceilinged room.

It was sad when it came to an end. It'll always be a special place for me.

jamie its scottie how are you pal and hows your dad Edited by scottie
Social source share

amazing nighter, really dark and dirty in there, excellent spots from Rodger Banks and Pat Brady I recall. The tune's that always sticks out in my mind are; Kel Osbourne- quicksand and al foster Band- night of the wolf, cleared the floor for most, it was just too fast and most of us couldnt shuffle. If olny we still had a nighter with the same underground atmosphere and variety of musical policy!

Edited by geeselad
  • Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

jamie its scottie how are you pal and hows your dad

Mr O'Connor! How the devil are you?

I'm good thanks; old man's the same. Where are you living these days? get out much?

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

spent a lot of time downstairs as the guys i went with were very into their modern, i had to nip upstairs on my own if i wanted some northern

Social source share

Guest Byrney

Remember it well Byrney up, down, up, down

Remember standing next to Guy Hennigan and Alan Walls downstairs when they played "boogie nights" by Heatwave

Guy's face was priceless - never forget it Alan and I were pissing ourselves

Jim

Don't know if you'll remember the business cards Kerso did Jim? Something like 'If you like upstairs and downstairs at Bradford contact The Outcasts'

Social source share

Downstairs anyone? Used to be up and down those stairs all night flitting between both rooms.

Of course. It must have cost them a fortune in new bulbs over the pool table :D

Met some really good lads from Nottingham, they used to pile back to ours after it had finished. I used to see them down at Renaissance at Mansfield, too. I'm sure I've bored you with all this before :D

Social source share

Hi Jamie, say hello to your dad for me..Good nights there, yes..I remember Pat Brady playing Harvest for the World-The Isley Bros one time..filled the dancefloor, upstairs too!

Hi Pete, hope you're keeping well. I was supposed to go with my old man to the Central on the 23rd - I got home a bit later than I should have done the night before so couldn't make it. Did you see him down there? Said he saw Mally & Tasker

Jamie what's that Death of rare soul and football all abut mate?

I put that up a good few years ago - think we'd just been relegated to L1. The graveyard things refers to trying to run a regular night in Leeds - it's not easy!

Edited by Jamie
Social source share

Hi Pete, hope you're keeping well. I was supposed to go with my old man to the Central on the 23rd - I got home a bit later than I should have done the night before so couldn't make it. Did you see him down there? Said he saw Mally & Tasker

I put that up a good few years ago - think we'd just been relegated to L1. The graveyard things refers to trying to run a regular night in Leeds - it's not easy!

no never saw him there! mind you it was very full.

Social source share

Downstairs anyone? Used to be up and down those stairs all night flitting between both rooms.

More down than up at the time. Loved the atmosphere in both rooms, I've never been to a better nighter. That might have something to do with been 18 at the time. Have a got a tape somewhere must dig it out. Do people think a reunion / aniversary event would be well attended? I suppose finding a suitable venue would be the difficulty.

• Up vote 1
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Of course. It must have cost them a fortune in new bulbs over the pool table :D

Met some really good lads from Nottingham, they used to pile back to ours after it had finished. I used to see them down at Renaissance at Mansfield, too. I'm sure I've bored you with all this before :D

Lifeline weekender I think we set that one to rights, hope you're well mate :)

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

More down than up at the time. Loved the atmosphere in both rooms, I've never been to a better nighter. That might have something to do with been 18 at the time. Have a got a tape somewhere must dig it out.

Hi Stuart,

very little has been mentioned or documented of the modern room from 1987 to 1989, when Crofty rotated Sam and Arthur during those fortnightly all nighters. Of which you Hull boys and girls, (yourself, Jacko, Podge, Riggy, Alison, Vanessa and Louise Mullins etc ) Bradford played a huge influence within our love of rarer modern soul music and many others also.

Not forgetting inbetween Bradford 87/89 period - was the world famous Canal Tavern, the modern room all nighter at the Carleton Morecambe, Rock City nighters, Parkers and towards the end of the Queens Hall era, was the introduction of the Southport Weekender.

A very musically rich period indeed.

Hope your keeping well mate !!

Kind regards,

Nick. :D

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest posstot

I thought the Bradford Queens hsll was a "hole in the wall" promotions..Steve croft at the helm. Wht's the after dark relating to. ? yours confused.com

Social source share

Guest posstot

Queens hall was used for many different events after the Northern dos, I remember playing there at a Rave event in the 90s, great place. Also was Windsor baths ever used for Northern events? another nice venue!

wasn't it the raves that shut the all nighters?

Ha haaa, and i dont mean downstairs!! ppfft

Edited by posstot
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I thought the Bradford Queens hsll was a "hole in the wall" promotions..Steve croft at the helm. Wht's the after dark relating to. ? yours confused.com

This venue was used by various promotion outfits over the years for soul all nighters and even an all dayer in 1981. Which included Hole In The Wall before After Dark Promotions of Steve Croft.

All being well covered on previous QH threads of the past.

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Hi Stuart,

very little has been mentioned or documented of the modern room from 1987 to 1989, when Crofty rotated Sam and Arthur during those fortnightly all nighters. Of which you Hull boys and girls, (yourself, Jacko, Podge, Riggy, Alison, Vanessa and Louise Mullins etc ) Bradford played a huge influence within our love of rarer modern soul music and many others also.

Not forgetting inbetween Bradford 87/89 period - was the world famous Canal Tavern, the modern room all nighter at the Carleton Morecambe, Rock City nighters, Parkers and towards the end of the Queens Hall era, was the introduction of the Southport Weekender.

A very musically rich period indeed.

Hope your keeping well mate !!

Kind regards,

Nick. :D

Very well thanks Nick, I hope you are well also.

86-89 does seem to be the forgotten period and perhaps we can feel the better for it. Genuinely underground, progressive musically, and perhaps the final chapter of the first volume of the northern soul story. After 1990 social and technological changes meant things would never be the same. Don't know of a top 5 from the period has been done on here but here are mine.

Ronnie Barnes - You got my heart

Bill 'Sugarbear' Jones - Step away

Jeff Floyd - Don't leave me

David Sea - Night after night

Nathan Bartell - Someone like you

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Very well thanks Nick, I hope you are well also.

86-89 does seem to be the forgotten period and perhaps we can feel the better for it. Genuinely underground, progressive musically, and perhaps the final chapter of the first volume of the northern soul story. Don't know of a top 5 from the period has been done on here but here are mine.

Ronnie Barnes - You got my heart

Bill 'Sugarbear' Jones - Step away

Jeff Floyd - Don't leave me

David Sea - Night after night

Nathan Bartell - Someone like you

Good stuff - see nothing wrong with those 5 on reflection Duke.

A period of richness throughout those 87 to 89 years at the Queen's Hall, show cased as rare and played throughout the modern soul rooms during the above time period also.

Here's a few other popular major inclusions!!

Otis Jackson - Get Yourself Together Girl (Genesis 45)

J J Johnson - Don't You Go Away (TCC 45)

First Horizon - I Need To Know (Freko 45)

Fir Ya - Keep On Trying (Star Glow 45)

Mark IV - If You Cant Tell Me Something About My Baby (Bright Lite 45)

Hard Cover - Do You Still Care (Like You Say You Do) (Shanty Town 45)

B B Brad - I'll Be For Real (Test Pressing 12)

Sy Hightower - Go Back Baby/I Know Your Leaving (Monarch Test LP Pressing)

Natural Impulse - She Went Away (Natural Impulse 45)

Crosswinds - Fire (Harbour 12 or the very rare 45)

Milton Parker - Women Like It Harder (Closet 45)

Curtis Anderson - The Hardest Part (Brown Bag 45)

Randy Wilson - Patience (Regal 12)

Richard Caiton - I Like To Be Near You (Uptight 45)

Robert Owens - Must Be Loving You (Budweiser 12)

John Simeone - Who Do You Love (TNT the very rarer 45 )

Universal Love - Its You Girl (Glades 45)

(not excluding Mary Love Comer - Sandbox, Traffic Jam - I Cant Get Over You, Herby Brown - One More Broken Heart, Jesse Fisher - Honey, Troy Johnson - I Want You and the Ad Libs - I Dont Need No Fortune Teller etc etc.)

To name but a few !!

:)

Edited by Nick Harrison
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

From 1987 to 1990 it was run under the Hole In The Wall banner. Which was myself and Steve Croft in partnership.

I stopped being actively involved in 1990 after an Inland Revenue investigation. I took the hit while Crofty remained invisible to the revenue.

Steve then resurrected his After Dark promotions

Social source share

Glad I started this thread, enjoyed reading the comments, I met my wife there so it's special to me plus my roots are Bradfordian , saw loads of reggae acts there too, I remember the rock bands getting there gear out just before the nighter started, the place was filthy after, it was a grubby hole ha ha, never bothered with downstairs it was mainly the 60's sounds I went for, used to go on mi scooter and hide it behind some building behind the ice rink somewhere, used to spend alot of time at Lens scooters in Shipley.

Edited by Ste S
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

used to spend a lot of time at Lens scooters in Shipley.

Ah Steve,

the turn before the incline of Wind Hill or drive through the lights past Rose or (the Sutty and Sweep Museum !!)

Childhood memories of another passion during the early seventies @ Len's yard and Stock Car racers 172 Derek Holmes and later 188 Colin Stansfield.

But hey ho !!

Nick.

:thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Ah Steve,

the turn before the incline of Wind Hill or drive through the lights past Rose or (the Sutty and Sweep Museum !!)

I now have the former Sooty and Sweep Museum as my offices. Took it over in November!

And, weather permitting, I ride to work on a Lambretta LI series 3

Edited by phild
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest posstot

From 1987 to 1990 it was run under the Hole In The Wall banner. Which was myself and Steve Croft in partnership.

I stopped being actively involved in 1990 after an Inland Revenue investigation. I took the hit while Crofty remained invisible to the revenue.

Steve then resurrected his After Dark promotions

Thanks Phil, thought so. rememberring your this England appearance, Leeeds Astoria?

Edited by posstot
Social source share

Guest posstot

Good stuff - see nothing wrong with those 5 on reflection Duke.

A period of richness throughout those 87 to 89 years at the Queen's Hall, show cased as rare and played throughout the modern soul rooms during the above time period also.

Here's a few other popular major inclusions!!

Otis Jackson - Get Yourself Together Girl (Genesis 45)

J J Johnson - Don't You Go Away (TCC 45)

First Horizon - I Need To Know (Freko 45)

Fir Ya - Keep On Trying (Star Glow 45)

Mark IV - If You Cant Tell Me Something About My Baby (Bright Lite 45)

Hard Cover - Do You Still Care (Like You Say You Do) (Shanty Town 45)

B B Brad - I'll Be For Real (Test Pressing 12)

Sy Hightower - Go Back Baby/I Know Your Leaving (Monarch Test LP Pressing)

Natural Impulse - She Went Away (Natural Impulse 45)

Crosswinds - Fire (Harbour 12 or the very rare 45)

Milton Parker - Women Like It Harder (Closet 45)

Curtis Anderson - The Hardest Part (Brown Bag 45)

Randy Wilson - Patience (Regal 12)

Richard Caiton - I Like To Be Near You (Uptight 45)

Robert Owens - Must Be Loving You (Budweiser 12)

John Simeone - Who Do You Love (TNT the very rarer 45 )

Universal Love - Its You Girl (Glades 45)

(not excluding Mary Love Comer - Sandbox, Traffic Jam - I Cant Get Over You, Herby Brown - One More Broken Heart, Jesse Fisher - Honey, Troy Johnson - I Want You and the Ad Libs - I Dont Need No Fortune Teller etc etc.)

To name but a few !!

:)

See, i told you raves shut it down!

LOL

Social source share

Guest posstot

Yep, Leeds Astoria 1988 and It was Derek Jameson's People programme on BBC1.

I bitterly regret doing it now

Bitterly? not good feedback then

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!