O T Sykes - Stone Crush On You

Stubbsy

• Replies 52
  • Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Unless I am mistaken Clifton Hall.

I went to his dentist practice once in South Memphis - not for long though - metal walls ffs!

I concur with Clifton Hall, imagine funky things being big at Northern Soul all nighters, surely thats a modern day thing............

I remember your article and picture of the singing dentist, don't think I have mentioned in a while its time you reissued the Blackbeat's as glossy digitals, so just in case you forget, its time! I am reading through them again, or at least ones I can find. Sure your PA could knock up some nice copys in her lunchtime......

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Flip side is pretty good too isn't it?

Was it not issued twice with different B-Sides, sure I have 2 by him, and the other is okay but not brilliant.

I would like like the LP and would happily swap for the 45's with a tenner thrown in, any takers?

He did a cd about 10 years ago sure I read somewhere, anyone heard that?

Social source share

Was it not issued twice with different B-Sides, sure I have 2 by him, and the other is okay but not brilliant.

I would like like the LP and would happily swap for the 45's with a tenner thrown in, any takers?

He did a cd about 10 years ago sure I read somewhere, anyone heard that?

Didn't know that, and sadly I don't have it now. I think it was something like "This loneliness inside of me" or something similar?

Social source share

Clifton Hall.

I always associate this with Clifton Hall. Think Richard played it first at the very end of Wigan, but as there would have been only a couple of hundred there on any given night, wasn't really heard that much. Was also very popular at Todmorden alldayers, which again were run by Richard and Bernie

Came out twice both sell for about the same. Been selling for about £40 for the last few years, several have gone through Ebay for as little as £20

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

There's one with a gold label and another with a yellow label - think the gold label was the first press

I'd put a value of around £50 on them but think if it was re-activated the price would get pushed up by those who didn't hear it first time around

Social source share

I always associate this with Clifton Hall. Think Richard played it first at the very end of Wigan, but as there would have been only a couple of hundred there on any given night, wasn't really heard that much. Was also very popular at Todmorden alldayers, which again were run by Richard and Bernie

Came out twice both sell for about the same. Been selling for about £40 for the last few years, several have gone through Ebay for as little as £20

=======

may have been richard still playing it stafford...didnt go clifton hall much but remember from main room at totw

its a great record anyways.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

Have this also date timed as a 1982 release, his first documented release on Fun City.

OT's last release on this label was the slowie "I Need Somebody to Love" during 1985.

In between these two release's also out of Memphis (on Fun City) was "Cant Get Enough Of Your Love/Loneliness Inside Of Me"

But then "Stone Crush's" weak production failed musically to fill the cavities of what was labelled as a good soul record back then.

Making it collected today ( IMHO ) by those who view this as a post modern period piece 45 and little more than that - correct !!

:)

Edited by Nick Harrison
Social source share

Guest Polyvelts

I concur with Clifton Hall, imagine funky things being big at Northern Soul all nighters, surely thats a modern day thing............

I remember your article and picture of the singing dentist, don't think I have mentioned in a while its time you reissued the Blackbeat's as glossy digitals, so just in case you forget, its time! I am reading through them again, or at least ones I can find. Sure your PA could knock up some nice copys in her lunchtime......

I loaned all my copies of BB to someone years ago and never got them back, would love to see them online (but would have to print them out so I could read them in the bath !!!)

Social source share

Guest Nick Harrison

I loaned all my copies of BB to someone years ago and never got them back, would love to see them online (but would have to print them out so I could read them in the bath !!!)

Yes not the first time Jock has requested glossy re issued colour copies of the entire series of Blackbeat on here.

Was having a flick through a few copies last nite, laughed at the low price's of records for sale in the addies. Also learned or was reminded that Guy was playing Albert Jones - 15 Cent Love as a 60's newie !

Sorry to have gone off thread.

:D

Social source share

Just happen to have 6/7 old editions of Blackbeat handy (they were up in the loft next to the Xmas tree & decorations).

Scanned em all (as you do) & found reviews of this O T Sykes 45 in BB #16 (July 82).

Clarkie reviewed it (he also made mention of Greg Perry's "It Takes Heart" & Charles Sherrell's "Things You Do For Love").

Sam also reviewed it..

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Next time you're selling one for £40 Dave let me know! :wicked:

Social source share

Sure i`ve got a spare 45 of this somewhere :g: . If memory serves had come be my lady(which for me is far better record) on one side? Got the lp so never play the 45.

How much does the lp go for now Wayne,.Just seen one on discogs for £244 smackers.. Thought that was a bit strong. I paid £50quid for mine in the late 80's

Edited by Guest
Social source share

How much does the lp go for now Wayne,.Just seen one on discogs for £244 smackers.. Thought that was a bit strong. I paid £50quid for mine in the late 80's

I used to see it for £150+ hence why i never got one in the 90`s. I got mine off ebay for around £80-90 mark early 2yk,think it`s still tough to find cos i rarely see it out.Again it`s holding it`s price £150-200 now from a dealer.

Been told the 45`s off lp are differant mixs to lp? Can anyone confirm this?

Social source share

Oii you two cockney warblers, shut up, The LP is still only worth £50 at most which is why my offer is more than generous.........

(A pint on me at 100 club Xmas party if you are both around and back up my story, shhh)

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Oii you two cockney warblers, shut up, The LP is still only worth £50 at most which is why my offer is more than generous.........

(A pint on me at 100 club Xmas party if you are both around and back up my story, shhh)

You down Thurs Jock.. Be good to see you bruv. Gurney's going to.

Social source share

Maybe Tony will let you have his copy for that,he`ll be breaking even :ohmy::wicked: .

You buying a pint at 100 club :g: :g: mmm might pop in after work for that :shhh::P .

Social source share

Didn't it burn down? Would make interesting reading

It's taken you three days to come up with that one liner Dave??? Goodness must be more interesting things to worry about down at "Clowntown Pathetic FC" these days surely :lol: :lol:

Seriously have a good Xmas Dave! Should all be catching up for another boys beer night out in the New Year?

Steve

Edited by Steve G
Social source share

It's taken you three days to come up with that one liner Dave??? Goodness must be more interesting things to worry about down at "Clowntown Pathetic FC" these days surely :lol: :lol:

Seriously have a good Xmas Dave! Should all be catching up for another boys beer night out in the New Year?

Steve

Cheers lads for highjacking my thread on O T Sykes with talk of your second rate London teams :D

Have a good Christmas and see you in the New Year!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert