Shrine Records Collection

snooky

no never charted or anything silly like that but i agree theres been more on ebay than any other shrine 45....the hem release is better and much rarer by todays standards imho

The hem release is clearly rarer but I don't know how you could say it's better. It's pretty much a copy / answer record to the first one and has pretty much the same sound.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

HI,

WERE THERE ANY OTHER SHRINE SINGLES RELEASED ON OTHER LABLES BEFORE THERE WAS A SHRINE LABLE OR AFTER IT FINISHED ???.

JOE.

20 according all discographies on t'internet

SR-100Linda (Tate) & Vistas — Bad Apple / He Went Away (commemorates death of JFK that same month)

SR-101Leroy Taylor & The Four Kays — Taking My Time / I’ll Understand (1964)

SR-102Jimmy Armstrong — I’m About To Say Goodbye / Mystery

SR-103Ray Pollard — No More Like Me / This Time

SR-104Cautions — Watch Your Step / Isn’t It Right

SR-105Jimmy Armstrong — I Believe I’ll Love On / It’s Gonna Take Love (Unreleased)

SR-106Epsilons — Mad At The World / I’m So Devoted

SR-107D.C. Blossoms — I Know About Her / Hey Boy (1966)

SR-108J.D. Bryant — Walk On / I Won’t Be Coming Back

SR-109Sidney Hall — The Weekend / I’m A Lover

SR-110Shirley Edwards — It’s Your Love / Dream

SR-111The Cairo’s — Stop Overlooking Me / Don’t Fight It

SR-112Eddie Daye & The Four Bars — Guess Who Loves You / What Am I Gonna Do

SR-113 Bill Dennis — I’ll Never Let You Get Away / Poor Little Fool

SR-114Les Chansonettes — Don’t Let Him Hurt You / Deeper

SR-115Cautions — No Other Way / Poor Loser

SR-116Prophets — If I Had (One Gold Piece) / Huh Baby

SR-117The Counts — Peaches Baby / My Only Love

SR-118Enjoyables — Shame / I’ll Take You Back (1966)

SR-119The Cavaliers — Do What I Want / Tighten Up

Social source share

HI,

WERE THERE ANY OTHER SHRINE SINGLES RELEASED ON OTHER LABLES BEFORE THERE WAS A SHRINE LABLE OR AFTER IT FINISHED ???.

JOE.

Not by name, but, the Linda & Pretenders "Believe Me" is close.

And Enjoyables on Capitol was supposedly a Shrine recording.

Edited by Tony Smith
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Only just though Bob, Linda was the same Linda & The Vistas and the production team is the same.

Linda Tate recorded 'Believe Me/It's Not My Will' and 'He Went Away/Bad Apple' in New York

The first version of 'Believe Me', which is slightly faster than the Assault release and features prominent bongos was cut at the A-1 Sound Studio. The second version was recorded at Bell Sound and was scheduled for Prawn Records which I'm sure was one of Eddie Singleton's labels and saw other releases from the Toreadors aka The Matadors, who had releases on Keith Records, named after Eddie's son, ..... it was group members of the Matadors who did backing vocals for Jackie Wilson 'She's Alright' (Brunswick) which is the first known recording of a Ramitary published song and the Ray Pollard and Shirley Edwards Shrine 45s .. plus others of course. Harry Bass was in that group

The third version of 'Believe Me' was probably cut at Bell Sound as it is very similar to version 2 .. this was released on Assault.

'He Went Away' was a master Eddie then took to Washington as he had not used it to follow-up the Assault 45 and so released it as the first Shrine 45.. This was also recorded at A-1 Sound Studio ....Abtone was the studio Eddie used for Tommy Knight's 'Don't Bring Back Memories' session.... and Tommy also recorded 'Baby My Love' there

I believe, but have never be fully able to confirm, that Linda married Billy Brown of the Moments and if it is the same 'Linda' then she is now deceased.

Linda Tate, according to Harry Bass, spent some time with the Ad Libs doing live shows after 'The Boy From NY City' was a hit because Mary Ann Thomas was unavailable to perform.

Andy

Edited by Andy Rix
Social source share

The hem release is clearly rarer but I don't know how you could say it's better. It's pretty much a copy / answer record to the first one and has pretty much the same sound.

Their Hem release is IMHO a million times better.

Horses of courses I suppose. Broad church and all that

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

this was discussed here recently, but mike noriega was close.

Thats what l heard.......didn,t he offer the entire collection (that he had anyway 18).....to someone in england

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Guest gordon russell

the chansonettes is probably the worst one (and I even own it so I'm not talking down stuff I don't have).

best.......leroy taylor eddie day and the 4 bars the cushions watch your step cairos

very worst shirley edwards and j.d bryant..........awful beat ballads :yes:

Edited by gordon russell
Social source share

Don't know why he says that, apart from being written by Eddie Singleton and 'produced' by Ray(noma?), it sounds like a New York production, nothing like a Shrine record.

I was thinking the same. I know its Eddie Singleton etc and his publishing company but its a bit of a thin connection to Shrine. I'm sure Eddie did loads of production work elsewhere but that was his job and didn't mean they were Shrine recordings. I would have thought most writers, arrangers and producers etc were happy to find work at whatever company would give them work.

Same for Tommy Knight, that's written by Raymona isn't it? Is it a Shrine recording or just other work?

Social source share

Bobby Reed is a great tune too

Cant believe that nobody is seriously bigging up "One gold piece" - the epitome of group harmony in my opinion.

great production vocals it has the lot and a firm fave of mine, Bobby Reed aint too shabby either ......

Social source share

Question to Andy, where any of the early Shrines recorded in New York?

Chalky, Tommy Knight does to me sound like a Shrine recording as it uses similar instrumentation to the early releases in that it uses an Ondioline (early synth) prominent on Ray Pollard, Cautions etc.

And Lada Edmunds regardless of Ed's involvement for the time, has none of the typical Shrine elements.

Social source share

I was thinking the same. I know its Eddie Singleton etc and his publishing company but its a bit of a thin connection to Shrine. I'm sure Eddie did loads of production work elsewhere but that was his job and didn't mean they were Shrine recordings. I would have thought most writers, arrangers and producers etc were happy to find work at whatever company would give them work.

Same for Tommy Knight, that's written by Raymona isn't it? Is it a Shrine recording or just other work?

Eddie said that he wrote 'Don't Bring Back Memories' ... it's pre-Shrine so 'other work' ... he took the acetate to Motown after Shrine closed but put Miss Ray's name forward as the writer as he thought that Berry wouldn't tolerate the recording of anything he's composed. What is interesting is that a Motown collector friend of mine acquired a reel-to-reel of unreleased Motown tracks from the Woodward Building clear out and the Tommy Knight acetate is on this tape ..... and as far as I can tell when comparing the snap, crackle & pop with the acetate that Ian Clark sourced it is in fact the same item.... Eddie thought that the subsequent 4 Tops version did not do the song justice

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Question to Andy, where any of the early Shrines recorded in New York?

Chalky, Tommy Knight does to me sound like a Shrine recording as it uses similar instrumentation to the early releases in that it uses an Ondioline (early synth) prominent on Ray Pollard, Cautions etc.

And Lada Edmunds regardless of Ed's involvement for the time, has none of the typical Shrine elements.

I believe only Linda & Vistas was recorded in NY as mentioned previously. I think that a couple of the tracks .. Shirley Edwards & Les Chansonettes ... were pressed and then remixed at Bell Sound in NY then pressed again. This is why there are slight variations and different releases/matrix numbers for those 45s. The Bell Sound studios mixes are annotated as RE-1 in the run-out

Andy

• Helpful 1
Social source share

20 according all discographies on t'internet

SR-100Linda (Tate) & Vistas — Bad Apple / He Went Away (commemorates death of JFK that same month)

SR-101Leroy Taylor & The Four Kays — Taking My Time / I’ll Understand (1964)

SR-102Jimmy Armstrong — I’m About To Say Goodbye / Mystery

SR-103Ray Pollard — No More Like Me / This Time

SR-104Cautions — Watch Your Step / Isn’t It Right

SR-105Jimmy Armstrong — I Believe I’ll Love On / It’s Gonna Take Love (Unreleased)

SR-106Epsilons — Mad At The World / I’m So Devoted

SR-107D.C. Blossoms — I Know About Her / Hey Boy (1966)

SR-108J.D. Bryant — Walk On / I Won’t Be Coming Back

SR-109Sidney Hall — The Weekend / I’m A Lover

SR-110Shirley Edwards — It’s Your Love / Dream

SR-111The Cairo’s — Stop Overlooking Me / Don’t Fight It

SR-112Eddie Daye & The Four Bars — Guess Who Loves You / What Am I Gonna Do

SR-113 Bill Dennis — I’ll Never Let You Get Away / Poor Little Fool

SR-114Les Chansonettes — Don’t Let Him Hurt You / Deeper

SR-115Cautions — No Other Way / Poor Loser

SR-116Prophets — If I Had (One Gold Piece) / Huh Baby

SR-117The Counts — Peaches Baby / My Only Love

SR-118Enjoyables — Shame / I’ll Take You Back (1966)

SR-119The Cavaliers — Do What I Want / Tighten Up

I don't have a Manship price guide so what would the value of this lot be based on that guide?

Mike

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi there is the sherells "Teasing me " a shrine recording ? it sounds like one with the "styrophone " sounding organ and drum rolls i'm not near my collection at the moment i'm sure it's written by E.Singleton but can't check it out 'till next week .Great cheapie as good as anything on the lable regards Simon.

Social source share

I believe only Linda & Vistas was recorded in NY as mentioned previously. I think that a couple of the tracks .. Shirley Edwards & Les Chansonettes ... were pressed and then remixed at Bell Sound in NY then pressed again. This is why there are slight variations and different releases/matrix numbers for those 45s. The Bell Sound studios mixes are annotated as RE-1 in the run-out

Andy

When you interviewed Eddie Singleton he said he thought he might have recorded J D Bryant in NY. Also, aren't Audio Star acetates out of NY?

Social source share

HI,

JOE.

This might go some way to answer .. Ramitary published songs which means they were composed during the life of Shrine Records as a corporation

The Ramitary songs & associated releases

JACKIE WILSON - SHE'S ALL RIGHT - BRUNSWICK 55273

wr. Eddie Singleton, dir. Ray Gordy, pr. Nat Tarnopol, BRC & Ramitary Music

JACKIE WILSON - I BELIEVE I'LL LOVE ON - BRUNSWICK 55283

wr. Eddie Singleton, arr. Dale Warren, pr. Eddie Singleton-Nat Tarnopol, BRC & Ramitary Music

JACKIE WILSON & LaVERN BAKER - THINK TWICE - BRUNSWICK 55287

wr. Eddie Singleton, arr. Dale Warren, pr. Eddie Singleton-Nat Tarnopol, BRC & Ramitary Music

LADA EDMUND JR. - SOUL AU GO GO - DECCA 32007

wr. Eddie Singleton-Lada Edmund Jr, dir. Ray Singleton, pr.Eddie Singleton, Dala & Ramitary Music

LADA EDMUND JR. - THE LARUE - DECCA 32007

wr. Eddie Singleton-Lada Edmund Jr, dir. Ray Singleton, pr.Eddie Singleton, Dala & Ramitary Music

THE SHIRELLES - TEASIN' ME - SCEPTER 12178

wr. Eddie Singleton-L DeYoung, pr. Dynamic Duo Creations, arr. Ray Singleton, Flomar & Ramitary Music

EPSILONS - MIND IN A BIND - HEM 1003

wr.Eddie Singleton, arr. & pr. Eddie Singleton, Jobete Music (BMI)

EPSILONS -IT'S ALL RIGHT -HEM 1003

wr.Eddie Singleton, arr. & pr. Eddie Singleton, Ramitary Music

• Helpful 1
Social source share

THE JET SET RELATED 45s

NO.

ARTIST

TITLE

WRITERS

ARRANGER (arr.)

PRODUCER (pr)

PUBLISHER

JIMMY ARMSTRONG

I Won't Believe 'Til I See It

Eddie Singleton

arr. Dale Warren

pr. Eddie Singleton & Dimitri Villard

Ramitary & Cloven Hoof Music

JIMMY ARMSTRONG

I'm About To Say Goodbye

Eddie Singleton

arr. Ray Singleton pr. Eddie Singleton

BARBARA LONG

Take It From Me

Eddie Singleton

arr. & cond. Dale Warren

pr. Caspar Davis & Dimitri Villard

dir. Ray Gordy

BARBARA LONG

We Called It Love

Eddie Singleton

arr. & cond. Dale Warren

pr. Caspar Davis &Dimitri Villard

dir. Ray Gordy

Pera Music

STRINGS 'N THINGS

Charge

Dale Warren

arr.& cond. Dale Warren

dir. Ray Gordy

Cloven Hoof Music

STRINGS 'N THINGS

Fabulous New York

Christopher Cerf

Leon De Yong

arr. & cond. Dale Warren

pr. Caspar Davis& Dimitri Villard

dir. Ray Gordy

Cloven Hoof / Resistance Music

JIMMY CASTOR

Fabulous New York

Christopher Cerf

Leon De Yong

arr. & cond. Dale Warren

dir. Ray Gordy

Cloven Hoof / Resistance Music

Edited by Andy Rix
Social source share

The unreleased tracks

TIPPIE & THE WISEMEN - LET ME WALK AWAY

wr. Eddie Singleton-Harry Bass-Stanley Ossman, arr. Miss Ray, pr. Eddie Singleton-Harry Bass

TIPPIE & THE WISEMEN - WAIT TIL I GET THERE

wr. Harry Bass-Stanley Ossman, pr. Harry Bass-Eddie Singleton, arr. Miss Ray

TIPPIE & THE WISEMEN - I WOULDN'T MIND CRYING

wr.Eddie Singleton, pr. Eddie Singleton, arr. Dale Warren.

TIPPIE & THE WISEMEN - BYE BYE

wr. James Duvall-Harry Bass, pr. Eddie Singleton-Harry Bass, arr. Eddie Singleton.

BOBBY REED - CALDONIA BROWN

wr. unknown, pr Clay Roberts, arr. Freddy Perrin supervised by Eddie Singleton.

BOBBY REED - BABY DON'T LEAVE ME

wr. unknown, pr Clay Roberts, arr. Freddy Perrin supervised by Eddie Singleton.

LITTLE BOBBY PARKER-I WON'T BELIEVE IT 'TIL I SEE IT

wr. Eddie Singleton, arr. Dale Warren, pr. Eddie Singleton

TRACI - TAKE IT FROM ME

wr. Eddie Singleton, arr. & pr. Eddie Singleton

CAUTIONS - FALL GUY

wr. Felix Blanchard-Bruce Jones-Eddie Singleton, arr.& pr. Eddie Singleton

CAUTIONS - TAKE A LOOK AT YOUR BABY

wr. Harry Bass-Joseph Clyburn-Eddie Singleton, arr.& pr. Eddie Singleton , Ramitary & Renleigh Music (BMI)

CAUTIONS - I WANT TO HOLD YOUR HAND

wr. John Lennon-Paul McCartney,arr.& pr. Eddie Singleton , Northern Songs (BMI)

JIMMY ARMSTRONG - I BELIEVE I'LL LOVE ON

JIMMY ARMSTRONG - IT'S GONNA TAKE LOVE

LEROY TAYLOR & FOUR KAYS - I AIN'T WORRIED ABOUT YOU

THE FOUR KAYS - FUNKY MONKEY

wr., arr.,pr., unknown

THE D.C. BLOSSOMS — THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE

wr. Keni Lewis, arr & pr. Unknown

Social source share

Hi there is the sherells "Teasing me " a shrine recording ? it sounds like one with the "styrophone " sounding organ and drum rolls i'm not near my collection at the moment i'm sure it's written by E.Singleton but can't check it out 'till next week .Great cheapie as good as anything on the lable regards Simon.

After Shrine, according to Eddie Singleton, at one point he was director of A&R at scepter / wand and did do recordings work with the Shirelles

Social source share

Yes Simon .. good catch .. recorded at Herb Abramson's A-1 Sound Studios .. I'd forgotten about that

Gary Chester playing the drums

Andy

Andy , remember Photo copying a couple of Shrine records that Rob (Thomas) brought to work about 20 Years ago , 'cause we had a colour copier. I seem to think they were sold to a bloke in Scouseland ? Rob wanted a couple of copies of each and I thought I'll do myself a couple of copies, as you do !

Well after I'd done 4 copies of the first one . when I picked the record off the copier I nearly shat myself 'cause it was so hot I thought the fooker had nearly melted, hey ho !, but I still did 4 copies of the other one :wicked:

Hope your'e well Andy maybe see you at some point , I'm sure you must owe me a beer !!

Swifty :thumbsup:

Edited by SWIFTY
Social source share

styrophone " sounding organ

It is called an Ondioline, an early form of Synthesizer......from Wiki...could this be where Raynoma became familiar with it?

Motown Records used an Ondioline as part of their studio setup between 1959 and 1962, where it was mainly used in place of expensive string arrangements. The instrument is featured prominently on dozens of early Motown recordings by acts such as the Supremes, the Miracles, the Temptations and the Marvelettes.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

It is called an Ondioline, an early form of Synthesizer......from Wiki...could this be where Raynoma became familiar with it?

Motown Records used an Ondioline as part of their studio setup between 1959 and 1962, where it was mainly used in place of expensive string arrangements. The instrument is featured prominently on dozens of early Motown recordings by acts such as the Supremes, the Miracles, the Temptations and the Marvelettes.

It sounds like that thing Rolf Harris used to champion in the early seventies that you played with a sort of pen with no ink in it.Regards two little boy's

Social source share

This might go some way to answer .. Ramitary published songs which means they were composed during the life of Shrine Records as a corporation

The Ramitary songs & associated releases

JACKIE WILSON - SHE'S ALL RIGHT - BRUNSWICK 55273

wr. Eddie Singleton, dir. Ray Gordy, pr. Nat Tarnopol, BRC & Ramitary Music

JACKIE WILSON - I BELIEVE I'LL LOVE ON - BRUNSWICK 55283

JACKIE WILSON & LaVERN BAKER - THINK TWICE - BRUNSWICK 55287

LADA EDMUND JR. - SOUL AU GO GO - DECCA 32007

LADA EDMUND JR. - THE LARUE - DECCA 32007

THE SHIRELLES - TEASIN' ME - SCEPTER 12178

wr. Eddie Singleton-L DeYoung, pr. Dynamic Duo Creations, arr. Ray Singleton, Flomar & Ramitary Music

EPSILONS - MIND IN A BIND - HEM 1003

wr.Eddie Singleton, arr. & pr. Eddie Singleton, Jobete Music (BMI)

EPSILONS -IT'S ALL RIGHT -HEM 1003

wr.Eddie Singleton, arr. & pr. Eddie Singleton, Ramitary Music

Wasn't Gene Chandler "I Hate To Be The One To Say" on Constellation a Ramitary pub, written by Keni Lewis or are we just quoting Eddies songs?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!