Velvet Satins

Ray Copley

Hi

Just sa quick clarification please from you experts :

Velvet Satins - Nothing Can Compare To You - General American GA-006 - Bold Black Lettering one which is straight writing white demo !

Acording to Manship Guide ref: 521d - states Vinyl press promo , With Nashville Matrix

Record as a stamped in Bell Stamped but also a stamped MR ( Monarch Recordings ) but no stamped or scratched " Nashville "

Two questions :

Was it also on Styrene

What should the matrix read

Many Thanks - Ray

Social source share

Hi

Just sa quick clarification please from you experts :

Velvet Satins - Nothing Can Compare To You - General American GA-006 - Bold Black Lettering one which is straight writing white demo !

Acording to Manship Guide ref: 521d - states Vinyl press promo , With Nashville Matrix

Record as a stamped in Bell Stamped but also a stamped MR ( Monarch Recordings ) but no stamped or scratched " Nashville "

Two questions :

Was it also on Styrene

What should the matrix read

Many Thanks - Ray

Hi Ray what are the Delta numbers after MR Stamp ?

Social source share

That's an original West Coast copy manufactured by Monarch (styrene injected rather than pressed vinyl) , and mastered by Bell...hence their machine stamp aswell.

Social source share

I have the same 45 here so just to add some extra info to this thread - Bell Sound stamped, MR stamped, delta number is 56769 and scratched in matrix number reads ZXSE-1230V-RE-1F (on the Nothing Can Compare To You side) in small letters.

A quick look on popsike would suggest this is the rarer format for the demo but I've seen quite a few of this straight text style label going through ebay in the last few years.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Doesn't that ZXSE 12300 series code indicate that it's a Columbia pressing?

Never seen a Columbia prefix using that code, although I agree it looks like one of theirs!

I've had the varinat that was being questioned and it was Monarch stamped...with details as per post #13 and #5.

:hatsoff2:

Social source share

Whilst we're at it, the 'swirl' design label WD and red stock copies also have the scratched in ZXSE number, Bell Sound stamp and the raised 'X' denoting it was pressed at Shelley.

Social source share

Bit about the label in Billboard:

https://books.google....llboard&f=false

...more Billboard searching (on behalf of Roburt :D ) reveals that 'Nothing Can Compare To You' (well the flipside actually!) was within the 'Spotlight Winners Of the Week' for Feb 6th and May 8th 1965.

Incidentally, and off on a tangent...also released that week in February '65 were: Sharon Soul on Wild Deuce, Vi Velasco on VeeJay, Jr. Walker - Shotgun, MAxine Brown - It's Gonna Be Alright, J.J.Barnes - Poor Unfortunate Me and the Chi-Lites - I'm So Jealous.

The others within the 'Spotlight Winners...' included: Beach Girls - Skiing In The Snow, Stokes - Whipped Cream, Freddie Gorman - Take Me Back, Sandy Wynns - A Touch Of Venus, Billy Stewart - I Do Love You, Nolan Chance - Shes Gone and Sugarpie DiSanto - Never Love A Stranger.

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

The Swirl design was East Coast. Shelley was located in New York. The "straight design" shown above was pressed on styrene at L.A.'s Monarch pressing plant, but also on vinyl in some other plants around USA (I seem to remember seeing many in The Midwest on vinyl). Maybe they were pressed by RCA or one of the other majors? They weren't pressed at Columbia Midwest (Chicago/Terre Haute). I would remember if they were a ZTSC pressing. I followed that plant very closely, as almost all their pressings were Detroit and Chicago labels.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The Swirl design was East Coast. Shelley was located in New York. The "straight design" shown above was pressed on styrene at L.A.'s Monarch pressing plant, but also on vinyl in some other plants around USA (I seem to remember seeing many in The Midwest on vinyl). Maybe they were pressed by RCA or one of the other majors? They weren't pressed at Columbia Midwest (Chicago/Terre Haute). I would remember if they were a ZTSC pressing. I followed that plant very closely, as almost all their pressings were Detroit and Chicago labels.

Cheers mate,. Answered my question and then some !!

Have a great New Year XXX

Social source share

• 1 month later...
Guest DELORENZO

So far so good, I have the East coast Swirl promo & issue (as described above), and the West coast styrene straight lettered promo......

1) But is the Vinyl press promo (with the Nashville matrix) with straight lettering, exactly the same label as the Styrene press promo (with the bell sound and monarch stamp) with straight lettering ??

2) Is there a West coast issue ???

3) And then what is this ??

https://www.popsike.c...0905309327.html

Edited by DELORENZO
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!