Wee Gee

• Replies 7
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Any one have any information on the artist Wee Gee.

Hi Russ,

Wee Gee, ex Dramatic, made a nice LP in 1980 on Cotillion that I used to play a track from at Bradford, early eighties, "Aint Nothing Missing (But The Music)".

I think he passed away 5/6 years ago. Real name William Howard.

Worth picking up.Superb singer.

CD is in process by the way.

Hope you're well.

Best regards

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Wee Gee (William Howard) was a member of The Dramatics.

"Hold On To Your Dreams" (Cotillion) is one of my all-time favourites. You need to hear the album version because the 7" edit doesn't do it justice.

Also check out his 45 on Cat (TK) from 1975, as William Howard. "Come To Me" is a nice uptempo track but the flip side, "Give A Helping Hand", is an amazing deep soul ballad - written and produced by Clarence Reid who had recorded it earlier himself.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest Adam G

Agree about the Lp fantastic music also there is another nice midtempo dance track "remember the love" which also had an earlier release on Jupar though the Cotillion lp(which was also a jupar recording) version is the better mix i think. Easy and cheap to pick up as well .

Social source share

Wee Gee was born on July 13, 1950, in Detroit, Michigan. His full name is William Franklin Howard II.

1x1.gifBetter known as "Wee Gee", a nickname he acquired in high school. In high school, Wee Gee sang with a group called the Sir Primes. He left the Dramatics in 1972, and pursued a solo career. "Hold On To Your Dreams", and "You've Been A Part Of Me" are two of his singles. He rejoined the Dramatics for their reunion in 1986, but left again in 1989. His replacement was Steve Boyd-Barnett. Wee Gee died of a heart and chest condition s February 22, 2000, in Bronxville, New York. His funeral was held in Detroit seven days later. He was only 49 years old.For fuller biog see this Dramatics fans site at.

https://dramafever.tripod.com/id19.htm

stuart

Edited by soulfulsaint
Social source share

Guest Dodger

Agree about the Lp fantastic music also there is another nice midtempo dance track "remember the love" which also had an earlier release on Jupar though the Cotillion lp(which was also a jupar recording) version is the better mix i think. Easy and cheap to pick up as well .

'You've Been A Part Of Me' is a stunner of a deep soul cut.

Roger

Social source share

'You've Been A Part Of Me' is a stunner of a deep soul cut.

Roger

Thank you every one for all the info. Managed to pick up the album recently & its a stunner. 'Remember the love' has completely knocked me out & cant wait to play it out in a DJ set. Can any one put up a soundfile of the earlier Jupar version, just to compare the mixes ???.

Sean - 'Aint nothing missing' cant remember this from Bradford, but listened to it a lot recently & IMO sounds a bit dated now, I think RTL is more in keeping with today's Xover sound. Hope your well buddy. BTW do you have any info on the CD please.

Thank you everyone.

Russ

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert