Total Eclipses - You Took Our Heart

Guest Kevin J

• Replies 28
  • Views 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Kevin J

Played it for 25 years Kev. Great cheapie. If you haven't got one it shouldn't cost you more than a few $$ on Right On Records.

yep, just picked it up. real nice at a nice price.

Social source share

I rather like it ...

First heard it on a tape way back, off some older Shirebrook lads - all Cleethorpes stuff. I believe it was a Highland Room spin as well. Great record though Kevin :wicked:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Only on a 444 studio acetate. Contract problems, I believe

Nobody ever talks about the other side of "Since There's No Doubt", as the acetate seems to have disappeared, but it might interest people to know that it was called "We Must Be Together" and that it had exactly the same backing track as the other side of the Total Eclipes (sic) single, "A Love Like Yours".

Chris Jackson still owes me a fiver - or half a week's wages as it was back then - that I lent him outside Leicester Square tune station in 1970, by the way. Wish I'd charged interest...

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

But definitely supposed to be on Soul City. I've seen press adverts for it - advertising it as a 3 track maxi-single.

Sorry, Pete, hate to call you on this but more than 36 years ago I held Dave Godin's original acetate in my hands, in the Monmouth Street shop. and Dave or whoever had definitely written '444 Records' on the label. There were only the two tracks on the acetate, and I can never recall Dave ever mentioning the prospect of a maxi single - which would anyway have been a rarity in 1970, as they hadn't really been popularised then.

The backing tracks for "Since There's No Doubt" and "We Must Be Together" were both produced by Van McCoy, by the way, just like "I'll Never Forget You" was. Knowing how Chris Jackson operated I'd venture to suggest that he sold both to whoever produced the Total Eclipes record (Kenny Williams and J.R. Bailey, was it?) without much input from Van...

Social source share

Sorry, Pete, hate to call you on this but more than 36 years ago I held Dave Godin's original acetate in my hands, in the Monmouth Street shop. and Dave or whoever had definitely written '444 Records' on the label. There were only the two tracks on the acetate, and I can never recall Dave ever mentioning the prospect of a maxi single - which would anyway have been a rarity in 1970, as they hadn't really been popularised then.

I held the same acetate with the 444 written on it about 20 years ago. Is it the only recording of the track? If so, it's a shame because it was quite knackered and never bother taping the other side.

Social source share

The backing tracks for "Since There's No Doubt" and "We Must Be Together" were both produced by Van McCoy, by the way, just like "I'll Never Forget You" was. Knowing how Chris Jackson operated I'd venture to suggest that he sold both to whoever produced the Total Eclipes record (Kenny Williams and J.R. Bailey, was it?) without much input from Van...

Not saying you are wrong mate but there is a press advert for the final Soul City 45 and it's an EP, it's been printed in one of the soul fanzine so someone else has surely seen it - gives a Soul City catalogue number.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Pete it was going to be SC 120

see here

https://www.georgwa.demon.co.uk/souldis.htm

There's a bit more to this story than I am prepared to go into out of respect for my deceased friend Dave, but I had a long chat about Soul City with George Austin (who operates the above site) at Dave's funeral and he might now agree that he was slightly wrong on this point. Dave may possibly have intended "No Doubt" to come out on Soul City at one point, but the shop and label ran out of money and kind of fell apart at the same time, and he'd already decided to launch the independently funded 444 Records with it. Had he really wanted it to come out on Soul City, of course, it would have been SC 120 as that was the next unallocated number.

BTW I'm not going to get into the dubious business dealings of Chris Jackson, either, but his ethics were then questionable to say the least. He may well have changed in the wake of the songwriting success he later had with "You Little Trustmaker" but it was always a good idea to count your fingers after a handshake with him in the Soul City days....

TONE :yes:

Social source share

So am I the only person who has seen the Soul City 120 advert???

I've got the advert Pete in an old B&S and I seem to recall it was promoted as a three tracker at the time, although as the label (Soul City) folded the 444 concept was also aborted so I guess it might have come out on either logo... but actually came out on neither!

I've also got an old 444 advert, but can't recall any of the planned releases other than Sam Nesbitt's Black Mother Goose / Chase Those Clouds Away.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

• 5 years later...

The "Since There's No Doubt " Chris Jackson 444 labelled acetate lives with me and has done for 20-25 years, alongside another one which has two different tracks. JM turned up another pair of tracks on a third acetate and auctioned it this year ( was it this year or last ?)

Filed away somewhere I have a letter authenticating it from DG, with some details about it's proposed release and subsequent non appearance (c/w some spare 444 labels.)

Social source share

post-16601-0-20872000-1324903292_thumb.jpost-16601-0-37694800-1324903322_thumb.j[attachment=123743:001.jpg

Better late than never, here's the SC120 add, Chris Jackson article and 444 advert.

The Chris Jackson 3 track single on Soul City SC 120 was in Blues and Soul No39 July 31st/Aug 13th 1970

Chris Jackson article in B+S No40 August 14th/27th, which also said Dave Godin would not be contributing to B+S

B+S No41 Dave Godin back at B+S

444 Records advert in B+S No43 Sept 25th/Oct 8th

Nice one Rick.

That all confirms precisely what I said in post 22.

Another bit of 'untold history' on the C M Jackson saga, the guys at Soul City had an almighty fallout with him resulting in him threatening Dave G. with violence (imagine!) resulting in Rob Blackmore giving him a wupping... in the hallowed grounds of the Soul City shop.

In a rage, Jackson checked into a West End Hotel, running up a huge bill over a couple of weeks. On checkout, and before his return to the US, he told the Hotel to charge his lavish stay to Soul City - his Record label.

The effect was devastating... and the rest (including the release of SC120) is confined to history.

Sean

Social source share

Just re-read the Jackson interview scan and it confirms that STNOD was due to come out on Soul City under CBS. That backs up info from Dave that they had been trying to switch distribution from Philips to CBS for SC120 but, because of 'events' at that time the Soul City operation went bust before the deal concluded.

Sean

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!