Martha Reeves A Tribute

BrianB

Sorry, but Gladys never did it for me. I don't like her voice and don't like her style. The Stranger is a good mover and her version of Good Lovin Ain't Easy to Come By is excellent, but she is not my cup of tea.

However, I can be convinced that Martha has the best female voice ever. The vocals on One Way Out are unbelieveable. I'll Never Be Alone and No More Tear Stained Make up are just beautiful. No One There is stunning. (Heard that on the radio regularly in the early 70s).

Her voice was always just on the edge, but her control was always perfect. My Baby Loves Me is soooo soulful!

She even sounds great as a backing artist on Marvin's Wherever I lay My Hat. Her enthusiasm threatens to upstage Marvin.

Saw her live a few years back, and she just wasn't the same, but her recordings stand comparison with any female recording artist of the 60s and 70s.

Over to you....

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Netspeaky

Seen her a few times in the last 20 years and I'm afraid her voice has gone, but on record in the 60's & 70's well she was the business, just a pity I didn't catch her live in those days. :wicked:

Social source share

I much prefer Martha to Gladys, her voice is something else. Saw her live myself a couple of years ago and I thought she was fantastic :wicked:

Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

A real miserable, up her own arse type to boot - well she was in about 1981 when my old man lost a bundle promoting a nighter with her as its star.

Social source share

Saw her live a few years back, and she just wasn't the same,

Over to you....

Yeah erm, many fine female soul singers out there, not sure Martha has ever been one of them. Saw her on the swons doc and she was terrible, I mean really awful.

Sorry, sad but true.

Social source share

A real miserable, up her own arse type to boot - well she was in about 1981 when my old man lost a bundle promoting a nighter with her as its star.

You wouldn't ask a bricky to do a plumers job :wicked:

Social source share

Yeah erm, many fine female soul singers out there, not sure Martha has ever been one of them. Saw her on the swons doc and she was terrible, I mean really awful.

Sorry, sad but true.

sacrilege :wicked:

Social source share

Sorry, but Gladys never did it for me. I don't like her voice and don't like her style. The Stranger is a good mover and her version of Good Lovin Ain't Easy to Come By is excellent, but she is not my cup of tea.

However, I can be convinced that Martha has the best female voice ever. The vocals on One Way Out are unbelieveable. I'll Never Be Alone and No More Tear Stained Make up are just beautiful. No One There is stunning. (Heard that on the radio regularly in the early 70s).

Her voice was always just on the edge, but her control was always perfect. My Baby Loves Me is soooo soulful!

She even sounds great as a backing artist on Marvin's Wherever I lay My Hat. Her enthusiasm threatens to upstage Marvin.

Saw her live a few years back, and she just wasn't the same, but her recordings stand comparison with any female recording artist of the 60s and 70s.

Over to you....

Don't agree with you on Gladys Knight mate, but do agree on Martha. :wicked:

Stunning vocals that, as you say, were always in control. Even on the pop stuff with the Vandellas there was always enough soul to make me feel that I held a secret that others who knew the songs (ie everyone) couldn't share in.

Saw her live twice at Wigan, very polished and overawed by the experience. The first time she sang a few bars of "One Way Out" acapella - the band were just totally lost. The second time she had just released an album and had been going through relationship problems. This plus the reception she got moved her to tears. Audience all seemed to go "aaahhh" at the same time and then clapped and cheered until she came right back to life. Truly memorable nights for me.....think I have some photos somewhere.

And to think - she could have remained a secretary!!

John.

Social source share

Audience all seemed to go "aaahhh" at the same time and then clapped and cheered until she came right back to life. Truly memorable nights for me.....think I have some photos somewhere.

And to think - she could have remained a secretary!!

John.

Be good to see those photos :wicked:

Social source share

============

Saw her in the 8Ts, good but not as good as Gladys IMO. No one there is very nice though

Winnie:-)

When ever I hear that song all I think of is No More Hair :wicked:

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I sat on her lap at Hinkley and gave her a piece of chewing gum. So I may be a little biased.

One way out (and probably Flirtations - Stronger than...) was my fave Motown/Northern Soul record when I first found out about Northern Soul

And Johnny T's Valatone introduced me to

No one there.

Which is as beautiful a piece of SOUL, as you could ever hear. I cant remember who played it, Buey? Cristina? Phil? But the instant I heard it I was overcome.

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

I sat on her lap at Hinkley and gave her a piece of chewing gum. So I may be a little biased.

One way out (and probably Flirtations - Stronger than...) was my fave Motown/Northern Soul record when I first found out about Northern Soul

No one there.

Which is as beautiful a piece of SOUL, as you could ever hear. I cant remember who played it, Buey? Cristina? Phil? But the instant I heard it I was overcome.

It were me Mikey...... let's not talk about the "overcoming" incident though :wicked: And to think I got pissed djing in Italy and gave it away.....!

Social source share

No one there.

You weren't the only one mate! Enclosed, again from Wigan. Sadly not me though....... :wicked:

post-4607-1145448272.jpg

Social source share

Found 'em dusty and faded I'm afraid. But here she is on stage. From what I remember, she was talking about life, etc at this point and then broke down.

More on the way......

The band gave her the towel and the crowd did the rest. Her face says it all.

John.

post-4607-1145448517.jpg

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

It were me Mikey...... let's not talk about the "overcoming" incident though :wicked: And to think I got pissed djing in Italy and gave it away.....!

Outstanding taste JT.

I have a bottle of vodka at home. Bring your Benny Troy round, and we can talk business :wicked:

Gave it away! good grief!

Remember when I tried to give you that Unifics record on Kapp? I seem to remember it sitting on inga's DVD player for about 5 months before i could secreet it into your playbox.

That is the type of tune you give away :wicked:

Social source share

Martha and Gladys... sound like characters from Coronation St. circa 1963! No wonder my kids can't take my musical tastes seriously!

Col

PS I saw Martha perhaps a couple of times in the 80's and she was great. Mary Wells was on the same bill at one gig - I'm afraid she struggled a tad.

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Martha Reeves is the better of the 2 love her Motown stuff. Third Finger Left hand is my fav. Plus Jimmy Mack was the reason my dad named his disco Jimmy Macs Disco although not Mack he still named it after the song, which i now help out with.

Social source share

Last three that are worth scanning. Sorry they are a bit fuzzy. :thumbsup:

John.

post-4607-1145452134.jpgpost-4607-1145452100.jpgpost-4607-1145452035.jpg

Cracking live photos show an amazing amount of emotion

Martha Reeves v Gladys Knight draw

both have there good and bad points Record I love most of Marthas is

"I Hope You Have Better Luck Than I did"

album track but excellent vocal and her version of Contract On Love and Ive Been Blessed Part of my current playlist

good stuff

:yes::thumbsup:

Social source share

Thankyou John for going to the trouble of finding and scanning the photos, very nice to see :thumbsup:

Thanks Karen, kept me busy for a while and relived the memories.........

Much maligned is Martha. Those two nights confirmed her massive stature in my eyes.

John.

Social source share

The up her own arse bit strikes true to a show she was involved on Radio Luxembourg back in the late 70s - the jock was continually trying to change the subject and get her to talk about and play other motown femme records, but all she'd do, was play her own stuff. I jacked it in after 20 mins. :thumbsup:

Although 'Love guess who' is a great record, she cant hold a candle to the likes of Gladys, Kim Weston and Brenda Holloway :wicked:

Social source share

Martha Reeves made some great records and often sounded "vulnerable" for some reason, a bit like Freda Payne.

"I'm Ready For Love" was one of Martha's best performances but she isn't a Gladys Knight, an Aretha Franklin or a Laura Lee.

Paul Mooney

Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

Now then David,

I think old Bill might be just a tad biased!

How is the old Bugger (and the lovely Sheila?).

Sean Hampsey

Hi Sean,

I got your message and responded.

Both are well, its Shelagh by the way. One of the few remaining items my dad has around from those days, except the music of course is a picture entitled 'They don't give medals to yeterday's heroes'.

Its around 1981-82 and featured from Right to left, Bill Payne, Biggles Newbold, Sean Hampsey and Uncle (Malc) Burton. He did tell me where it was taken, I think Burton sent him it. Windmill - Rotherham perhaps. Not sure. He's still buying stuff usually with a the phrase 'I had that, I had that' before clicking PLACE BID.

Like the rest of you I suspect.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Martha Reeves made some great records and often sounded "vulnerable" for some reason, a bit like Freda Payne.

"I'm Ready For Love" was one of Martha's best performances but she isn't a Gladys Knight, an Aretha Franklin or a Laura Lee.

Paul Mooney

Paul has it exactly right here. It is a complete and utter nonsense to suggest that Martha is, was or ever had the potential to be, better than Gladys - whose voice, unlike that of Ms. Reeves, is still as compellingly soulful as it was back in her heyday. Record for record, performance for performance, Gladys is so far ahead in the game that Martha needn't bother coming out for the second half.

I'm afraid that you just can't compare Flowers Keg bitter to a pint of Robinson's, and that's what too many people are trying to do here...

TONE :angry:

PS and BTW, I'm not anti-Martha or especially pro-Gladys, I just know the difference between a very good singer and a completely great one. That said, I couldn't live without at least having these M & the Vs records in my collection:

Love (Makes Me Do Foolish Things)

My Baby Loves Me

I Gotta Let You Go

I Can't Dance To That Music You're Playing

I Should Be Proud

Dancing In The Street (go on, imagine your reaction if someone played it to you now, for the first time, as a complete unknown)

Quicksand

In My Lonely Room

Darling I Hum Our Song

Sweet Darlin'

Show Me The Way

What Am I Going To Do Without Your Love (might actually be her best, y'know)

Thank You

This Is When I Need You Most

Nowhere To Run

Jimmy Mack

etc. etc. blah blah blah.....

Social source share

I travelled up to see Martha at Hinckley but had it had been moved to a smaller place nearby. Not sure if it's the same gig as the one you went to. Anyway loads of requests for One way out but the "Vandellas" and the guy arranging the music didn't know it. She just sang unaccompanied and was brilliant. It really did impress me greatly. However heard her many years later and she was either having a bad day or the magic had gone. However must say, in her heyday, she was awesome.

Social source share

Guest PayneyJnr

I saw her in Cambridge about four years ago as apart of a Soul Review tour that also featured the late Edwin Starr and another female, Mary Wilson I believe.

It was noticeable that Edwin and Mary did all the duet stuff, Martha sang her own stuff and appeared slightly disgruntled that Edwin brought the house down everytime he came on.

His version of River Deep-Mountain High made the hairs on my neck stand up and I was miles from the stage at the Corn Exchange.

Dont get me wrong Martha was good, but she just didn't connect like Edwin Starr did. So chuffed I caught him before he passed away.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert