Nicolewillis

• Replies 68
  • Views 4.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

It's been discussed before and the general concensus seems to be that while it's a nice enough pastiche, it really doesn't have much to do with rare soul. A pleasant set of pop tunes.

i agree with this anthony.

but i wonder, genuinely, what people would think if, say, you could get the la beat team back together in a studio for a day (i know you couldn't!) and record four or five new songs. assuming by the same artists and in the right 60s vein, would people want to hear these if you knew they were 2006 recordings? (this is very much a disappearing up own arse question i know by the way :wicked: )

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

i agree with this anthony.

but i wonder, genuinely, what people would think if, say, you could get the la beat team back together in a studio for a day (i know you couldn't!) and record four or five new songs. assuming by the same artists and in the right 60s vein, would people want to hear these if you knew they were 2006 recordings? (this is very much a disappearing up own arse question i know by the way :wicked: )

i don;t think the year of the track matters if it's right .... i've played the elevations single out and that was made in 2004

Davie

Social source share

It's been discussed before and the general concensus seems to be that while it's a nice enough pastiche, it really doesn't have much to do with rare soul. A pleasant set of pop tunes.

Sounds like soul to me.

Don't know about the general concensus on here, but I've been playing it out for several months and it always seems to go down well. :lol:

Social source share

What's 'rare' got to do with anything - it doesn't have to be rare to be good...and this is a blinding northern soul record....and it's only a pastiche in as much as every 60's soul dancer is a pastiche of a Motown record. Or something.

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

been playing the album in the car for a while now.

'if this aint love' sounds brilliant played out nice and loud :shades:

i hope they tour the uk soon

Shane

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Rare soul doesn't come into it, IMHO. compared to some the s**te passed off as soul these days it is amazing, and by 'these days' I mean stuff that is curently being made, and so-called unknown/semi-known soul items from the sixties thad dealers ask big bucks for, and are crap! I would, and will, play out these tracks. Don't care that they are new, or easy to obtain, they are good, and that alone deserves them deckspace! :shades: Better than a played out oldie any day! I think myself lucky that tunes this good are being made, and accepted by the majority of dancers, as the reaction to "If this ain't love' at Piercebride demonstrated. Too many DJ's up their own arses, and won't touch 'em cos there not rare, or 'exclusive' Have they forgotten that in the early days of the scene, many of the things played were current releases??

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Better than a played out oldie any day!

This is dangerously becoming a played out oldie! (in the sense)

No shelf life in these 'recent' records IMO, get poularised, every one gets one.......every one spins it, next month its forgoten.

Still a great record though :shades:

Social source share

This is dangerously becoming a played out oldie! (in the sense)

No shelf life in these 'recent' records IMO, get poularised, every one gets one.......every one spins it, next month its forgoten.

Still a great record though :D

Yes, but thats a regional thing Baz.... and the points Trev makes are spot on.

And it seems some people have only recently heard it for the first time.

Anyway, at least you didn't use the word "disco" :shades:

Social source share

Yes, but thats a regional thing Baz.... and the points Trev makes are spot on.

And it seems some people have only recently heard it for the first time.

Anyway, at least you didn't use the word "disco" :D

Yep i completely agree with every thing Trev said :D

P.S Im sure i could fit it in some where :D:shades:

Social source share

Agree with Baz here,even the baby at the end as had enough :D ,bet Trev cant get over the fact he had a full dancefloor :shades: ,not in the same class S Jones + dap kings"what condition is my condition in",now thats a cool record :D

:D

Social source share

,not in the same class S Jones + dap kings"what condition is my condition in",now thats a cool record :D

:shades:

:D That is a cool record :good:

Social source share

but a poor second to Betty Lavette...

Thats one opinion i supose :D lets put to the test,i`ll find S Jones and post a file,you post B Lavette,i bet you there both brill, :shades:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Guest Trevski

Agree with Baz here,even the baby at the end as had enough :D ,bet Trev cant get over the fact he had a full dancefloor :D ,not in the same class S Jones + dap kings"what condition is my condition in",now thats a cool record :D

Wasn't me that played it Ken, mores the pity, would love to play at Piercebridge, (hint hint :D )

Sharon Jones is a good record, but NW is more up my street, soundwise. Have sharon Jones' stuff, but like NW far better. Nice to have new stuff to argue over the merits of tho' eh! :shades:

Social source share

Wasn't me that played it Ken, mores the pity, would love to play at Piercebridge, (hint hint :lol: )

Sharon Jones is a good record, but NW is more up my street, soundwise. Have sharon Jones' stuff, but like NW far better. Nice to have new stuff to argue over the merits of tho' eh! :lol:

back to NW -getting overplayed (first heard at Soulsviller at Baby Jupiter almost a year ago and regularly at Drax (!) ever since).Hyped and and touted as a monster and future classic by many -good record yes , but little more when compared others.

Social source share

i hope they tour the uk soon

Shane

...they are...towards the end of april...

dates so far (as far as I know them) Apparently there's a date in Leeds which may be a replacement for the So'ton gig on the 29th

Wed 26th April - Maida Vale Session (BBC Radio 1) for Gilles Peterson

Thur 27th April - Glenfiddich Independent Mix (Cargo, London)

Fri 28th April - Trinity Hall, Bristol

Sat 29th April - Soul Cellar, Southampton

Sun 30th April - Newcastle

The album is, in the main, f**king brilliant. Took a few spins but it's a grower and it's great to see the band develop from the first few 7's way back in the late 90's to this. Looking forward to seeing them later in the month.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

back to NW -getting overplayed (first heard at Soulsviller at Baby Jupiter almost a year ago and regularly at Drax (!) ever since).Hyped and and touted as a monster and future classic by many -good record yes , but little more when compared others.

My god! a decent record played at Drax! :shades:

Overplayed?? lot of milage in it yet, IMHO, not as sick of hearing it as Joe Jama!

Social source share

What's 'rare' got to do with anything - it doesn't have to be rare to be good...and this is a blinding northern soul record....and it's only a pastiche in as much as every 60's soul dancer is a pastiche of a Motown record. Or something.

Pete - I used the term 'rare soul' in the context it's used on this forum i.e. non-mainstream soul records and not the 'two known copies' type of rare you're referring to. I've never subscribed to the view of rarity equalling quality.

Yes it is a good pop record, it has the required beat etc. but then so do any number of records made since the sixties. It doesn't make them soul records, however. Does that mean the 80's Phil Collins tunes that use the Motown-style beat are acceptable for soul venues? I'd like to think not.

Surely what we celebrate in Soul music rare or otherwise is the passion and originality on display? I just don't see how this particular product fits. Others have different views I guess.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

Yes it is a good pop record, it has the required beat etc. but then so do any number of records made since the sixties. It doesn't make them soul records, however. Does that mean the 80's Phil Collins tunes that use the Motown-style beat are acceptable for soul venues? I'd like to think not.

Surely what we celebrate in Soul music rare or otherwise is the passion and originality on display? I just don't see how this particular product fits. Others have different views I guess.

Pop record?? don't get it, mate, it's not pop, IMHO, anymore than the entire motown catalogue was pop. Popular yes, but that don't make it a 'pop' record. Lots of originality too, again IMHO, as it goes against what US artists are touting as soul these days, and goes back to a soul sound from when soul was soul, but with a contemporary twist. lots of the motown stuff was far poppier than this, just cause it was motown, does that make it soul, and this not??

Social source share

Rare soul doesn't come into it, IMHO. compared to some the s**te passed off as soul these days it is amazing, and by 'these days' I mean stuff that is curently being made, and so-called unknown/semi-known soul items from the sixties thad dealers ask big bucks for, and are crap! I would, and will, play out these tracks. Don't care that they are new, or easy to obtain, they are good, and that alone deserves them deckspace! :shades: Better than a played out oldie any day! I think myself lucky that tunes this good are being made, and accepted by the majority of dancers, as the reaction to "If this ain't love' at Piercebride demonstrated. Too many DJ's up their own arses, and won't touch 'em cos there not rare, or 'exclusive' Have they forgotten that in the early days of the scene, many of the things played were current releases??

On a RARE SOUL forum, it sort of does come into it. As I've said to Pete my use of Rare Soul was in the context it's generally used ie. non-mainstream soul music and NOT pertaining to scarcity. I don't care what a record costs, or how easy it is to get, my overriding concern is the Soul content.

I do agree with you that there are plenty of unknown, semi-known or even well-known records that don't get enough exposure on the scene and that's my point, really - until those avenues are fully explored should we be playing Soundalikes in the place of decent Soul records? I also agree that there's too much emphasis on a record's rarity or cost, but that's always been an issue on the scene and it's never really going to change, unfortunately.

I accept that you and others are great advocates of this group, and I will probably buy the CD at some point, as it's very nice but it just ain't a soul record IMHO. Sorry.

Social source share

Guest Trevski

On a RARE SOUL forum, it sort of does come into it. As I've said to Pete my use of Rare Soul was in the context it's generally used ie. non-mainstream soul music and NOT pertaining to scarcity. I don't care what a record costs, or how easy it is to get, my overriding concern is the Soul content.

I do agree with you that there are plenty of unknown, semi-known or even well-known records that don't get enough exposure on the scene and that's my point, really - until those avenues are fully explored should we be playing Soundalikes in the place of decent Soul records? I also agree that there's too much emphasis on a record's rarity or cost, but that's always been an issue on the scene and it's never really going to change, unfortunately.

I accept that you and others are great advocates of this group, and I will probably buy the CD at some point, as it's very nice but it just ain't a soul record IMHO. Sorry.

Well, firstly I would not describe NW as 'mainstream soul' as it will never achive the chart popularity in this country of the mainstream output of motown and stax/ atlantic, and philadelphia int, etc.and you conceed that it doesnt matter how easy a record is to get, so long as it has soul content. secondly 'soundalike'?? just cos it sounds like northern/sixties is that a bad thing?? ddon't think they set out to make a northern soundalike record, just a decent soul record with a proper 60's soul feel, because thats what they like. I think its soul, we shall just have to agree to differ. :shades:

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

...they are...towards the end of april...

dates so far (as far as I know them) Apparently there's a date in Leeds which may be a replacement for the So'ton gig on the 29th

Wed 26th April - Maida Vale Session (BBC Radio 1) for Gilles Peterson

Thur 27th April - Glenfiddich Independent Mix (Cargo, London)

Fri 28th April - Trinity Hall, Bristol

Sat 29th April - Soul Cellar, Southampton

Sun 30th April - Newcastle

The album is, in the main, f**king brilliant. Took a few spins but it's a grower and it's great to see the band develop from the first few 7's way back in the late 90's to this. Looking forward to seeing them later in the month.

They're also playing The Wardrobe at Leeds in a couple of weeks...

Rich

Social source share

Guest Trevski

They're also playing The Wardrobe at Leeds in a couple of weeks...

Rich

Sat 29th April, to be precise!

will have to try and get there Rich. you going???

Edited by Trevski
Social source share

Well, firstly I would not describe NW as 'mainstream soul' and you conceed that it doesnt matter how easy a record is to get, so long as it has soul content. secondly 'soundalike'?? just cos it sounds like northern/sixties is that a bad thing?? ddon't think they set out to make a northern soundalike record, just a decent soul record with a proper 60's soul feel, because thats what they like. I think its soul, we shall just have to agree to differ. :shades:

Trevski - I didn't claim that NW was mainstream soul, I merely said that the 'Rare Soul' genre could be/is defined as being non-mainstream soul.

Is it a bad thing to make records that sound like 60s/Northern Soul? No, of course not. People can express themselves however they like in a musical context. It's what others do with those records that can sometimes be problematic. I completely accept that the group didn't set out to make a Northern Soul soundalike to appeal to the Northern/Rare Soul scene, because that would be just too perverse and bizarre a scenario to contemplate.

I personally wouldn't like to hear it at a Soul do, but it's only three or so minutes out of my life, so it's no big deal and what makes this scene of ours so great is the sheer diversity on offer.

Yes, I agree that we shall have to differ with regard to this record. It would be boring if we all liked the same things. :D

Social source share

Soundalike? What does that mean? What does it sound like? If its a good record play it... and this is!

And it is defo a soul record! No question in my mind about the content.

Yeah, buy the CD... and sit in your study listening to it and analising it. Meanwhile others will go out and enjoy the record. :shades::D

Social source share

Exactly! Good record, but its a cover... whereas NW is new work!

But its a cover :D ,like thats a bad thing?Dave...........half the soul records evermade are covers(made this bit up),think about it :D ,whether its "try a little tenderness",or whatever version of "take me girl i`m ready",or even J Ross "i cant help myself",how many good versions of "the hurt" or "i dont know what to do with myself" are there,of coarse its nice to have written a minor hit,but surely the measure of a good record is how many other artists are making covers of there tunes?,ask Holland,Dozier,Holland,they might tell you the same?,i bet whoever pen`d "only way is up" is well happy for Yazz to do a version,if its gonna` pay the bills,but Otis Clay gets it everytime for us ungreatfull good for nothing`s :shades: .

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

Will have to listen to this track, but didn't think of this fourm as soul more just Northern soul and related to. But i do also say if any wishes to talk about soul music be it Luther Vandross, Sam Cooke or whoever i am happy as i collect and like pretty much all the sounds. I like listning to local station LITE FM 106.8 in Peterborough on saturday night 7.00 - 10.00 as DJ Andy Barnes does soul dance saturday all soul music for 3 hours with first hour lots of 70's - 90's soul. then Northern soul, Motown, Philly and last hour is lots of 60's and 70's and ends up last 15 mins with more Motown memories. Always playing anything from a big hit to an album track.

Social source share

Well the people have spoken and a healthy discussion has taken place!

My take on this is that I found it refreshing that there is someone willing to put out 60's style soul (beat 'n rythmn) call it what you will,and is their own material (I assume). I must admit I quite liked what I heard.

It would be interesting to know where the influence came from within the group.

Cheers y'all. ph34r.gif '

Social source share

spot op...far better 60's and 70's records for £10, £20, £30 etc that are proper soul IMO that should be played before over hyped over played crap like NW (IMO of course :lol: ). There are too many DJ's who resort to playing popular and talked about records :angry: they should have the balls to play some of the tenner, twenty or 30 quidders that are unfortunalety over looked in favour of crap like NW ph34r.gif NW is a boring record and pretty forgetful, one of those that you soon tire of IMO.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

spot op...far better 60's and 70's records for £10, £20, £30 etc that are proper soul IMO that should be played before over hyped over played crap like NW (IMO of course :lol: ). There are too many DJ's who resort to playing popular and talked about records :angry: they should have the balls to play some of the tenner, twenty or 30 quidders that are unfortunalety over looked in favour of crap like NW ph34r.gif NW is a boring record and pretty forgetful, one of those that you soon tire of IMO.

i agree.....dull and mediocre record, there's loads of unknown or forgotten soul music to play still

yeah it's true that tamla was formularised pop music too, but some of the artists were superbly gifted and this shone through the dross of it all

i'm getting worried that some of us take this all too seriously :lol:

Social source share

Hi Chalky ,perhaps they cannot afford £10,£20 £30 etc records IMHO :lol: Stevie z

Social source share

Bloody hell trevski where have you been....we played it at the friendship when it was a new release last year and ive just sold mine if id known you could have had it for nowt last friday at soulsville as i was sick of it...and i have to agree with chalky better 60's/70,s £10ers knocking around.

Dont get me wrong when i first heard it i thought it was great..but somehow i dont think it will have the longevity or become a classic in the soul scene.

Geeoooordie

Social source share

Bloody hell trevski where have you been....we played it at the friendship when it was a new release last year and ive just sold mine if id known you could have had it for nowt last friday at soulsville as i was sick of it...and i have to agree with chalky better 60's/70,s £10ers knocking around.

Dont get me wrong when i first heard it i thought it was great..but somehow i dont think it will have the longevity or become a classic in the soul scene.

Geeoooordie

completly agree -read Andy Pointon's critical and detailed review in Winter N.Soul mag -giving it 6/10 -promises much but fails to deliver.... and follow up coments in current edition (Rant, Review, Roundup article by yours truely)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert