Thee Midniters

Just found a 45 by blue eyed soulsters 'Thee Midniters'. It's a great version of the in-demand Stoppers tune 'Come Back Baby'...it's on Whittier 200 and i've never seen it listed anywhere, it's not even in their discography! Anybody know this or got a copy? It has to be a rare one...any info on this 45 will be much appreciated. I paid $40 for it from a shop in New York.

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest NASHEE

Just found a 45 by blue eyed soulsters 'Thee Midniters'. It's a great version of the in-demand Stoppers tune 'Come Back Baby'...it's on Whittier 200 and i've never seen it listed anywhere, it's not even in their discography! Anybody know this or got a copy? It has to be a rare one...any info on this 45 will be much appreciated. I paid $40 for it from a shop in New York.

we have 'Thee Midnighters - It will never be over for me - Wittier'

I love the version...tho I do know others that dont rate it at all.

A sound clip would be much appreciated.

best

Linda

Social source share

Sounds a bit too 'hotel lounge' for me. He needs to put a bit more effort in if he's gonna convince her to stop shagging the milkman and come back!

Edited by Simon T
Social source share

Just joined yesterday, I have put the track onto a CD already, how do put it onto a sound clip for this site then? I'll gladly do it for you as soon as I get the hang of it! My copy has a car on the label and it's a deep orange colour, must be worth a bob or two. I do know their 'It'll Never Be Over For Me' and I love it also. I do have a selection of their stuff including a great L.P, I know their stuff goes for quite a bit, especially 'It'll never Be Over For Me' and 'Your'e Gonna Make Me Cry'.

thanks for replying,

John

Social source share

not too bad ,great tune but it lacks a bit of something (soul)

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

looks like someone beat me to it anyway! some like these white groups, some don't. i don't mind them myself, Embers are another blue eyed group i quite like also...

Thee Midniters are Latinos, which means they are NOT 'white'. Their lead singer, Willie Garcia, is one of the most gifted vocalists ever to stand before a mic, in my opinion...

I collect them like crazy, and there are still a number of their Whittier 45s I need, so if anyone has any spares they're more than welcome to PM me to see if we can effect a transaction or two!

TONE ranting_1.gif

Social source share

Hey Tony, do you have the 'Come Back Baby' 45? How come it's not listed anywhere? How rare do you think it is? I like them as well, if you have their album 'Unlimited' (Whittier 5001) there's a great non 45 track 'Cheatin' Woman' which has an almost crossover feel to it.

Social source share

have a hazy memory of a discussion the other weekend with someone about how "come back baby " was a big sound in east la

Roddie Joy version is one that had a bit of interest in past on here

there's also a version by jaggerz (i think) on a 70s lp as well along with a few other interesting cover versions

Social source share

hey Mike,

version by the Stoppers (Jubilee) is considered the best and does go for a tidy sum, still think the version by Thee Midniters has an equally soulful backing....only just about a dancer, mid-tempo to ballad really as opposed to mid-tempo to dancer. (eh?)

Not heard the Roddie Joy version.

I will champion Thee Midniters version, also like their 'Evil Love'.

Social source share

To me their best recording of the lot is 'Make Ends Meet' it's the flip to 'You're Gonna Make Me Cry' the northern monster.

Make Ends Meet is not in any way northern but the vocals are so so soulful and the lyrics superb. Believe it or not I bought it for this side not knowing YGMMC was on the other. What a pleasant suprise. :huh:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Hey Tony, do you have the 'Come Back Baby' 45? How come it's not listed anywhere? How rare do you think it is? I like them as well, if you have their album 'Unlimited' (Whittier 5001) there's a great non 45 track 'Cheatin' Woman' which has an almost crossover feel to it.

...Wish I did have it, even without hearing it I know it's going to beat the puny Stoppers version (but perhaps not Roddie Joy - currently available on "Kent's Cellar Of Soul Vol. 2" for the man who said he'd never heard it) into a cocked hat! They are so avidly collected on the 'low rider' scene that it's almost impossible to find decent condition copies of any of their 45s outside of East L.A. As your man says elsewhere since my last posting, "Making Ends Meet" is probably their best soul record - although their version of McKinley Mitchell's "The Town I Live In" is pretty strong stuff, too - but I couldn't get a copy when nobody knew the northern flip, and I can't afford one now they do!

For those who like US 60s garage, their "Jump Jive and Harmonize" is one of the greatest US freakbeat records of all.

To answer your other question, no I don't have the vinyl album - I'm currently making do with the excellent Thump CD compilation of a couple of years ago for all the 45s I don't have or can't afford!

TONE :huh:

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

ive got a copy , don't think its that rare i paid £15 for it off dave raistrick about a year ago.

hopefully file attatched.

Believe me it's rare - I think you just caught a lucky break....

TONE :lol:

Social source share

have a hazy memory of a discussion the other weekend with someone about how "come back baby " was a big sound in east la

Roddie Joy version is one that had a bit of interest in past on here

there's also a version by jaggerz (i think) on a 70s lp as well along with a few other interesting cover versions

may have been confused about that 70s lp being jaggerz - ( funny enough they do a cover of your avitar scan "I never forget you" on the lp i thought it was)

other version must have meant was by the ex-lead singer of yer midniters on a recent release

can hear it here

https://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...e+Lost+Time.htm

also feats the "open the door..." mentioned a day ago and "it never be over for me"

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

out of interest then tony what do you think its worth ?

...How long IS that piece of string?

Valuation is an argument I never get drawn into if I can help it. To me, rarity and "what It's worth" have never been a compatible issue. Some of the rarest records I own are "worth" very little in terms of how much I would get for them, if I chose to sell them on. Which does not stop them from being genuinely and considerably rarer than some of the £1000.00 plus 'rarities' that regularly crop up on eBay etc.

Compared to the Stoppers and Roddie Joy, this is hen's teeth, especially in mint condition - which makes it rare. But in terms of worth, it's only going to be 'worth' what someone is prepared to stump up for it. I mean, personally I wouldn't give you tuppence for, for example, Dottie and Millie on Topper or Curtis Lee on Mira (HIDEOUS record) so what I personally think they're worth is going to be wildly out of step with the common consensus...

...so therefore I'd say that Thee Midniters is worth whatever you paid for it -until you choose to sell it on, when it then becomes worth whatever your buyer is willing to pay for it!

TONE :shades:

Social source share

may have been confused about that 70s lp being jaggerz - ( funny enough they do a cover of your avitar scan "I never forget you" on the lp i thought it was)

other version must have meant was by the ex-lead singer of yer midniters on a recent release

can hear it here

https://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/...e+Lost+Time.htm

also feats the "open the door..." mentioned a day ago and "it never be over for me"

Thanks for that Mike, 'Open The Door...' is a good modernised version, yeah that's Willie Garcia ex Midniters lead vocalist. 'open...' would'nt sound out of sorts at any venue!

love to hear Jaggerz version of 'i'll never forget you'.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert