Reflections On Latin Soul

Out of the blue and into the Groove. Radiomagnetic has moved but we're still refurbishing. In the meantime here's a special 100 minutes of Reflections on Latin Soul. Some of these tracks have been played at Northern Venues, others at Mod nights, and even some saw the needle in their groove at acid Jazz does but they are all dance tunes with roots in R&B and Latin. This is Bugalu with Ricardo Ray and Orchestra Harlow playing soul tunes, The Aztecs and King Curtis playing Latin and Tito Puente and Willie Bobo setting a path for Santana. Bob Valentin, Joe Bataan and Hector Riviera may be familiar names but catch some genuine rare grooves from The Moon People, Harvey Averne and The Latinaires.

If you enjoy records with great rhythm tracks, swinging brass, handclapping and soulful chants with extra percussion on the top you'll love these records.

Listen here

https://wm9.easystream.co.uk/archive/Week_2...flectionshi.asf

Normal Northern Soul service will be resumed shortly.

https://www.radiomagnetic.com/archive/index...?genre=&show=65

FrankM

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Frank, I'm sure you're intentions are sound......and I liked 'a few' of your records.

But are you aware how little soul there is in a lot of your record selections?

I'm sure somebody is going to comeback & tell me to wise up as 'they're Latin' ........ & then I'm going to reply with something equally obvious like ...........'got any rare soul?'

Never have I felt the 4/4 beat to be so under rated..

Col.

Social source share

Frank, I'm sure you're intentions are sound......and I liked 'a few' of your records.

But are you aware how little soul there is in a lot of your record selections?

Col.

It depends on your definition of soul but the show is normally called "Reflections on Northern Soul" so i swapped "latin" for "northern". Just to retain a connection. Technically it should have been called "Reflections on Latin R&B" or "Reflections on Bugalu".

Mind you there are some weeks on Reflections on northern Soul where you would have to search very carefully for the "soul" in some selections. Personally I think The Sandpipers Lonely too long is a great Pop record that could have been done by The Association or produced by Bones Howe. But for me the soul content is zero.

Thanks for the comments everyone. I have been out recording live sets and I'm saving them for when Radiomagnetic relaunches. In the mean time I'll let you know when I've done another Reflections.

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Mind you there are some weeks on Reflections on northern Soul where you would have to search very carefully for the "soul" in some selections.

hope that wasn't a "reflection" on the stuff i played :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::):P

Social source share

"Da Boss" of this very site a few years back gave me a copy of Ralfi Pagan (Label/Title escapes me), brilliant stuff, i have always held a torch for "The Terrible Frankie Nieves" on Speed records out of New York, brilliant dancer....

Hey Richard Bayley, you've danced to that at the old Soulsville...

Social source share

hope that wasn't a "reflection" on the stuff i played unsure.giflaugh.gif:Plaugh.gif:P

You can check Davie's choices here for soulfulness. Unfortunately the show is not in the archive.

https://www.radiomagnetic.com/forum/viewtop...ht=davie+hudson

However Davie very kindly sent me a seventies mix. Read the play list then listen to the show here.

https://tinyurl.com/m4bep

FrankM

Edited by FrankM
Social source share

"Da Boss" of this very site a few years back gave me a copy of Ralfi Pagan (Label/Title escapes me), brilliant stuff, i have always held a torch for "The Terrible Frankie Nieves" on Speed records out of New York, brilliant dancer....

Hey Richard Bayley, you've danced to that at the old Soulsville...

Yep Brett, I'm a complete old tart when it comes to Latin Soul...one shake of a marimba and I'm away :thumbsup: . BTW, what's that great track you played out last year at Soulsville with the musical lift from "Am I the Same Girl"? Is that the one you're talking about?

Social source share

Yep Brett, I'm a complete old tart when it comes to Latin Soul...one shake of a marimba and I'm away :thumbsup: . BTW, what's that great track you played out last year at Soulsville with the musical lift from "Am I the Same Girl"? Is that the one you're talking about?

Richard.......your damn right it's the same tune......awesome record....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert