How Are We Perceived By Our Peers?

Based in the south in the late 70s I reckon that only 1 in 100 clubbers were into northern soul. Although I like to look back on that period as being a bit of a 'Young Soul Rebel' I'm sure that I was probably looked upon as being 'mildly eccentric'

Last couple of years I've been extolling the virtues of the rare soul scene to a couple of younger work mates. One of them recently turned to me & said I've finally managed to get a handle on the northern scene........"its like the Masons with talcum powder!"

Any other mildly amusing sories out there?

Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Based in the south in the late 70s I reckon that only 1 in 100 clubbers were into northern soul. Although I like to look back on that period as being a bit of a 'Young Soul Rebel' I'm sure that I was probably looked upon as being 'mildly eccentric'

Last couple of years I've been extolling the virtues of the rare soul scene to a couple of younger work mates. One of them recently turned to me & said I've finally managed to get a handle on the northern scene........"its like the Masons with talcum powder!"

Tend to extol on the record collecting side rather than the dancing / clubbing side of things - when they hear how much we pay for excloosiv tunes most mates think I am nuts, but look quietly impressed at the same time. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

When there was regular soul night in Pompey about 10 years ago, my Mrs mate worked behind the bar. She described it as " a load of old men dancing with each other" :D

Paul

Thats Morris Dancing isn't it ....... ph34r.gif:shhh:

Social source share

Guest rachel

A few years ago I was going to take a couple of friends to a soul night - on the night I was ill, but they went anyway. They later described it as "like walking into someone's wedding reception by mistake... minus the buffet and kids hiding under tables" :shhh:

My flatmate describes the mod element at some of our local nights as "men in bad trouser-shoe combinations". ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

A few years ago I was going to take a couple of friends to a soul night - on the night I was ill, but they went anyway. They later described it as "like walking into someone's wedding reception by mistake... minus the buffet and kids hiding under tables" :shhh:

My flatmate describes the mod element at some of our local nights as "men in bad trouser-shoe combinations". ph34r.gif

i resemble that remark :D

Social source share

When I was in my teens and early 20's (in Swindon) there was a rag tag band of Teddy Boys about. Drainpipes, brothel creepers, teddy jackets, the lot. They were much older than us, late 30's - early 40's and were always trying to get their music played and starting, then losing fights. They looked and acted ridiculous.

They were a joke and we all used to laugh at them and how outdated and stuck in a rut they were.

Now, many years later, I sincerely hope that we are not perceived like that!

John. ph34r.gif

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

Nah we just laugh at your blazer ph34r.gif

erm yeah .... i like it but a lot of people do think i look like a schoolboy albeit a very old one :shhh:

Social source share

I can remember walking into the Dome one night a few years back..... one of the girl's in our company (you know who you are) was so shocked (at the ever so slightly ridiculous sights that you only see on our beloved soul scene) that she piped up.....

"Oh my god..... it's like a f---ing safe-house for all the kids who were bullied at school"

I'm still laughing biggrin.gif

Social source share

I can remember walking into the Dome one night a few years back..... one of the girl's in our company (you know who you are) was so shocked (at the ever so slightly ridiculous sights that you only see on our beloved soul scene) that she piped up.....

"Oh my god..... it's like a f---ing safe-house for all the kids who were bullied at school"

I'm still laughing :shhh:

Quality post :D

I've also heard scene described as a "Youth club for the over 40s"

Cue for everyboby under 40 to post up "But I'm under 40......" yes.gif

Edited by Soulsmith
Social source share

Once took my brother and his friends to Winsford Allnighter a few years ago.

They thought the Modern Room was ok, but I took them into the main room and their faces were a picture.

According to my brother one of his friends couldnt sleep the next day, he said everytime he closed his eyes he saw a scary looking old bald bloke in a string vest dancing around in talc. I still chuckle to myself now. They havent been back since.

Kirsty

Social source share

When there was regular soul night in Pompey about 10 years ago, my Mrs mate worked behind the bar. She described it as " a load of old men dancing with each other" :ohmy:

Paul

took a few work mates to a local soul do, as in your post someone commented on the amount of old men dancing together :ohmy:

Social source share

many many years ago me and a few mates took the hardest bloke from our estate to his first soul all dayer at the palais, he was doing fine until he ventured on to the dance floor to dance to "there was a time" just as he got into his groove everyone around him started leaping about doing acrobatics and spinning, he went very pale,remained very quiet for the rest of the day, and became intsantly busy whenever we mentioned the next soul do !!

Social source share

Once took my brother and his friends to Winsford Allnighter a few years ago.

They thought the Modern Room was ok, but I took them into the main room and their faces were a picture.

According to my brother one of his friends couldnt sleep the next day, he said everytime he closed his eyes he saw a scary looking old bald bloke in a string vest dancing around in talc. I still chuckle to myself now. They havent been back since.

Kirsty

That wasn't a few years ago Kirst, more like 8 years ago! :ohmy:

Winsford was brilliant fun in them days.... :ohmy:

Social source share

Tend to extol on the record collecting side rather than the dancing / clubbing side of things - when they hear how much we pay for excloosiv tunes most mates think I am nuts, but look quietly impressed at the same time. :ohmy:

Back home the vinyl would be delivered to work and sometimes someone there wanted a peek (especially if you ripped it open to admire and hug the disk). The younger ones looked amazed at seeing a record, the older ones remarked on the big hole and asked what you paid. Even a comparatively modest sum had them gasping and asking what their Seekers and Beatles records might be worth now :ohmy: . There was always the constant "name an artist that you like" question too (god, I hate that one). It was tiresome, especially when they tell you you're a bit of a freak or admire an addiction that you wish you never had.

My regular line to newies (fans of the music, who were unfamilar with the scene) was explaining NS dancing as "square dancing with yourself" :ohmy:

m

m

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(mark.b @ Apr 4 2006, 05:09 PM) link
our close friends have labelled the soul nights as sad bastard nights, luckily for me i think i got the best side of the deal when i chose the northern route :ohmy:

mark

DON'T GET ON THE NORTHERN LINE MARK YOU'LL WIND UP IN TOTTENHAM....OR WORSE BARNET !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Social source share

That wasn't a few years ago Kirst, more like 8 years ago! :thumbsup:

Winsford was brilliant fun in them days.... :thumbsup:

Was it really 8 years ago.....where does time go. I love your photos by the way Kirst from 11 years ago (they only seem like yesterday as well), I showed work the one of you & me & they fell about laughing & said I looked about 6. Mind you they laugh everytime I go on here, as they think it is very strange.

Social source share

Guest D'Arcy

I'm still laughing :P

Many a true word spoken in jest Johnny :thumbsup::thumbsup: The Bar from "Bladerunner" seems more apt at times :thumbsup::)

Social source share

After going to her first NS do a young friend of mine (21) commented "bloody hell, it's a load of middle aged people doing hard core"

QoFxx

Social source share

After going to her first NS do a young friend of mine (21) commented "bloody hell, it's a load of middle aged people doing hard core"

QoFxx

Chrissie

Thats how I describe it to my younger nightclubbing collegues hardcore clubbing for grown ups only BETTER music :thumbsup:

PMSL

Its one of those "2 o'clock finish you bloody lightweights!!!" moments where we can beat them at OUR own game!

Mand :thumbsup:

Social source share

On first seeing some northern soul dancing my son broke out into uncontrollable guffaws of laughter / snortling etc, and started making comments like "how sad / gay is that?" and sneering "Is that what you do Dad?" etc.

I however have the last laugh as he is now chasing a bird who'se - wait for it - into northern....so he keeps ringing me up every five minutes asking me about records...... :thumbsup: From Drum & Bass to the Casualeers & Chuck Jackson in less than 6 months - and all because of a woman.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest D'Arcy

On first seeing some northern soul dancing my son broke out into uncontrollable guffaws of laughter / snortling etc, and started making comments like "how sad / gay is that?" and sneering "Is that what you do Dad?" etc.

I however have the last laugh as he is now chasing a bird who'se - wait for it - into northern....so he keeps ringing me up every five minutes asking me about records...... :thumbsup: From Drum & Bass to the Casualeers & Chuck Jackson in less than 6 months - and all because of a woman.... :thumbsup:

The begining of the end Steve, tell him "If it's got Tit's or Wheels on it, to avoid it like the plauge", the curse of many a man :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert