Record Lists

Guest Netspeaky

Guest Netspeaky

Over the years, being a hoarder I've hung on to loads of items related to the soul scene, anyway a couple of years ago, I decide to have a tidy up and auctioned a number of record lists just to see if I could get something for them, and was surprised that they actually sold. I've kept all my Brian '45' Phillips list though, quality reading of what I missed at the time.

Are you a collector of sales lists?

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Netspeaky
I'd be interested to see what was listed on some of these (also which year are they from). :lol:
The ones shown are roughly dated 1975-1977, the selectadisc ones, would have had the latest pressing and Motown/Ric-Tic originals, the Moondogs would have had US imports, can't look because I have sold them, but on a Brian '45' phillips list can see I missed a Jock Michell for 50p when a lot of the Big Sounds of the Day were being listed for a fiver, Paul & Jerry "The Cat Walk" for example. beer.gif:unsure:
Social source share

The best list I every got was one Ian (Frank) Dewhirst put out called "Vinyl Junkie" it was more like a little book, it was rammed with modern/crossover long before it was popular, with many of the records listed being new releases. It was the list with the Sy Hightower single sided test press.

I lent it to a mate and never saw it again. :unsure:laugh.gif

BH

Social source share

The best list I every got was one Ian (Frank) Dewhirst put out called "Vinyl Junkie" it was more like a little book, it was rammed with modern/crossover long before it was popular, with many of the records listed being new releases. It was the list with the Sy Hightower single sided test press.

I lent it to a mate and never saw it again. :unsure:laugh.gif

BH

I remember that......what ever happened to Ian (Frank) Dewhirst?

Was he a Leeds DJ?

Social source share

The ones shown are roughly dated 1975-1977, the selectadisc ones, would have had the latest pressing and Motown/Ric-Tic originals, the Moondogs would have had US imports, can't look because I have sold them, but on a Brian '45' phillips list can see I missed a Jock Michell for 50p when a lot of the Big Sounds of the Day were being listed for a fiver, Paul & Jerry "The Cat Walk" for example. :huh::shades:

Yes, but all that stuff on Impact wasn't rated then and could be had very easily. I had loads of them, and couldn't believe what they were worth when I came back on the scene. Like the Constellations, they were dead cheap then, and Thelma stuff. I had Martha Star - love is the only solution. No one wanted them then. :lol: Just box fillers. :lol: All that La Beat stuff on John Andersons :lol: makes you want to weep.

Social source share

I remember that......what ever happened to Ian (Frank) Dewhirst?Was he a Leeds DJ?

go to www.djhistory.com/djhistory/ in the list on the right hand side of this page under John Peel is a Full List of DJ Interviews....2 worth reading the Best one is Ian Dewhirst part 1 & 2, probably one of the best insights into The Early Days of our Scene with the story of how Marc Almond got Tainted Love & The Cleethorpes v Wigan Saga....& the other interview is some bloke called Ian Levine, who in his own words calls himself "The Godfather Of Northern Soul"....

Jon buck

Social source share

Ian Dewhirst lives in Surrey now and is/was involved with the Mastercuts CD series

I remember his DJ debut was at the West Indian Club, Venn Street, Huddersfield. In those days Frank DJ'd with another guy called TWINK as 'Frank and Twink', their rivals being 'Ginger and Eddie' . What happened to TWINK and to Eddie for that matter?

I lent Frank a copy of Othello Roberston on Baby Luv to play at Cleethorpes and he cracked it with the lid of his box.

Back to topic - lists - the very early list that Soul Bowl did out of Glasgow when it was 'Groove City' take some beating. 50p sounds thare now big money. Hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Social source share

Guest Johnny One Trout

Was he a Leeds DJ?

He's still knocking around, occassionally on the radio, has his own label Suss'd which does all the Salsoul reissues and he compiled the latest Hacienda Comp that's being advertised on TV at the moment. He's also quite active on another mail based list called Six Million Steps, oh and he DJ at the Norbreck Castle weekender last year :shades:

John

Social source share

go to www.djhistory.com/djhistory/ in the list on the right hand side of this page under John Peel is a Full List of DJ Interviews....2 worth reading the Best one is Ian Dewhirst part 1 & 2, probably one of the best insights into The Early Days of our Scene with the story of how Marc Almond got Tainted Love & The Cleethorpes v Wigan Saga....& the other interview is some bloke called Ian Levine, who in his own words calls himself "The Godfather Of Northern Soul"....

Jon buck

Can't agree more. Just read both articles by Frank and Ian. First is really spot on, although I have to say Ian's is pretty good too. Can't knock him on this.

Social source share

I've all Ady Pierces old lists from the early 90's and a few Andy Dyson lists from around 93. Haven't kept many from earlier years for some reason. I'll have a look when I'm back at home, maybe scan a few and post.

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Was he a Leeds DJ?

Remember speaking to him on the phone at the end of the 80's and he was living in croydon,he had been off the scene and was missing it back then. He had just come back from the states and had 2 copies of dena barnes and the illusive Yum Yum's on ABC. Had agreed a price of £25 for it, he did'nt like it and did not value it, however, he changed his mind after realising its potential value. Think mick smith ended up with it, not sure.

SHEEP

Social source share

Guest rachel

Not been at this collecting thing as long as some of you smile.gif .. but think I've got every paper list I've ever got, Manship catalogues etc.. also kept the vast majority of email ones. I guess they'll be interesting to look back at in years to come.. OK I'm just a hoarder too :thumbsup:

Social source share

Not been at this collecting thing as long as some of you smile.gif .. but think I've got every paper list I've ever got, Manship catalogues etc.. also kept the vast majority of email ones. I guess they'll be interesting to look back at in years to come.. OK I'm just a hoarder too :thumbsup:

Hi Rachel,only receive a few lists from the USA now .Mosts lists from UK sellers have the items on I know or have .A collector ,surely,must want other than "heard it a million times" ATB Stevie

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert