Limelight Club In The 80's

Guest mrs norman maine

Guest mrs norman maine

Just watching the dreadful 'Basic Instinct' on TV. Sadly, I always watch a bit of it because I just love Sharon's apartment in San-Fran-by-the-sea: how middle-aged am I?

The toe-curlingly naff 'club' scene in it has just finished and the venue reminded me of that yuppie paradise in London, the Limelight Club. Does anyone else remember the one-off soul night that was put on there in the 1980s? I can't remember exactly when it was, but I remember John Walker being there, so it was before he emigrated. I think it might've been one of Sean McCluskey's promotions. All I can recall about the DJs was that the main emphasis was on 60's, but Simon Dunmore was on & maybe someone who was connected with Wigan (the place, not the 'artist'). I should remember more, as I was on the dole at the time and the drinks were so expensive, me & my boyfriend had to make 2 bottles of beer last between us all night. :rolleyes:

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Karen Heath

I remember it.... and by process of elimination, I think it might have been in 1989. Simon Dunmore was on and Chuck Jackson, "All over the world" is the backing track to the little picture of the scene in my head. I think that came out in 89. I am also picking up a vague picture of what I was wearing- a Bodymap number...ring any bells or was it all a dream?

Social source share

Just watching the dreadful 'Basic Instinct' on TV. Sadly, I always watch a bit of it because I just love Sharon's apartment in San-Fran-by-the-sea: how middle-aged am I?

The toe-curlingly naff 'club' scene in it has just finished and the venue reminded me of that yuppie paradise in London, the Limelight Club. Does anyone else remember the one-off soul night that was put on there in the 1980s? I can't remember exactly when it was, but I remember John Walker being there, so it was before he emigrated. I think it might've been one of Sean McCluskey's promotions. All I can recall about the DJs was that the main emphasis was on 60's, but Simon Dunmore was on & maybe someone who was connected with Wigan (the place, not the 'artist'). I should remember more, as I was on the dole at the time and the drinks were so expensive, me & my boyfriend had to make 2 bottles of beer last between us all night. :rolleyes:

Hi girls,

There was definately more than one Limelight 'do', 2 or 3 possibly, done under the London Chosen Mass banner Sean Mc & Ion, I D.J'd for them, It would've been 1989 and 1990 as I remember Chris Clarks version of "Do i Love You" had just surfaced. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Karen Heath

Good day to you Tony.

I think there was more than one do but was there more than one room? I remember there was a room at the back and one at the front but can't remember if both were used for those events. Did they play "across the board" in the one room?

I recall another event in the front room that is best forgotten.

Who was the guy who took over the Limelight during that time- a former "clubland" promoter whose name escapes me at the mo?

Social source share

Guest Goldwax

Seem to recall a 'London's Chosen Mass' night in a ballroom down some stairs off The Strand. Nice sprung dancefloor if I remember right. The Limelight came after I think.

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

That was at Dance Club international :unsure:

Good evening Tone,

that had a lovely dancefloor. Ion & co ran into some problems with the owners of venue double-booking or something?? So, at the next one, everyone who turned up at the Strand was ferried by double-decker bus to the Palm Tree Club in Edmonton (?). Sadly, no lovely palm trees there, just a scary big bouncer waving a metal detector over you as you went in & scolding people if they sat on the tables, even though there were only about 2 chairs in the room. Good night though.

Social source share

• 3 years later...

Hi,

Sean McLusky and I did a couple of nights there in late 80s/1990? under our London's Chosen Mass but Sean had definitely used it before. I seem to rememember all of the nights were midweek but well attended.

Sean always enjoyed putting on dos in less 'obvious' venues and between us we managed to use a masonic hall, a strip club, a cinema, a dance studio and a snooker club over the years.

All best

Ion

PS My best memories of Limelight were Sean talking to Sam Fox - how 80s can you get?

Social source share

Good day to you Tony.

I think there was more than one do but was there more than one room? I remember there was a room at the back and one at the front but can't remember if both were used for those events. Did they play "across the board" in the one room?

I recall another event in the front room that is best forgotten.

Who was the guy who took over the Limelight during that time- a former "clubland" promoter whose name escapes me at the mo?

Ive just been looking through some old copies of "Disco and Club International" Magazine..sad i know but i used to run a club in the north east in the 80's and we'd get these delivered free and sadder ive saved all the old copies for....what i dont know...but some good reading in them.

theres a piece about the owner a "Peter Gatien" who it says opened Limelights all over the world mostly converted churches. is this the guy your refering to ??

Geeoooordie

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert