Sean Oliver You & Me

:angry:

If a CD track is cut to vinyl is it a bootleg or just a way of putting music to more people ?

is a Boot leg copy of something the same ?

acetate first press of a track?

3 questions please to answer

Doug

:ohmy::ohmy:

Quite a reasonable set of questions & I expect a few opinions too...here's mine.

If the track is CD only & you cut a 'one off' from the CD with the intention of giving the track more exposure, I cant see a problem. I also know that some of the guys that do CD comps dont mind this, as it promotes the CD to a certain extent. Where I think there would be a problem was if say you pressed 300 copies & sold them.

Bootlegs are illegal. Having said that I have no problems with localised soul nights playing boots, reissues etc. The bigger soul nights & the All nighters should play from the original format. In the case that the venue has no CD player, see above.

IMO the first press of a track are the finished promos.

Only my opinion of course & I could be wrong.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Russ

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Quite a reasonable set of questions & I expect a few opinions too...here's mine.

If the track is CD only & you cut a 'one off' from the CD with the intention of giving the track more exposure, I cant see a problem. I also know that some of the guys that do CD comps dont mind this, as it promotes the CD to a certain extent. Where I think there would be a problem was if say you pressed 300 copies & sold them.

Bootlegs are illegal. Having said that I have no problems with localised soul nights playing boots, reissues etc. The bigger soul nights & the All nighters should play from the original format. In the case that the venue has no CD player, see above.

IMO the first press of a track are the finished promos.

Only my opinion of course & I could be wrong.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Russ

Can you please clarify Russ.

Are you saying that cutting a track illegally off a CD to vinyl is ' with the intention of giving the track more exposure' acceptable because a venue does not have a CD player ???

Thanks

Pete :ohmy:

Social source share

Can you please clarify Russ.

Are you saying that cutting a track illegally off a CD to vinyl is ' with the intention of giving the track more exposure' acceptable because a venue does not have a CD player ???

Thanks

Pete :ohmy:

I think that when people cut from comps ie unissued tracks usually, they are doing this because they want to play the particular track at venues that might not have a CD player.

To be honest I always have a CD player at my promotions, I would frown upon it being used for reissued material, but want it to be available for new material that might not be available on vinyl.

I'm saying that 'I' feel it is acceptable if only one copy is cut & not several 100 for resale. Whilst I appreciate that any unauthorized copying of material is illegal, its justifiied because the said track gets broader exposure & therefore sells more copies of the CD. I'm not saying this is a perfect solution, just that if peoples motives are genuine, it serves to promote said CD to a broader buying audience.

Russ

Social source share

I'm saying that 'I' feel it is acceptable if only one copy is cut & not several 100 for resale. Whilst I appreciate that any unauthorized copying of material is illegal, its justifiied because the said track gets broader exposure & therefore sells more copies of the CD. I'm not saying this is a perfect solution, just that if peoples motives are genuine, it serves to promote said CD to a broader buying audience.

Russ

Would you require them to own the cd in the first place. There are some who would quite happily borrow one just to get it cut on a disk.

You could always take a cd walkman along with you if you wanted to play a cd only track at venues where you think they would`nt have them. Pretty easy to plug one into a mixer these days. That way you`d have the cd to hand to show anyone who was interested what to look out for as promontoin for the track.

Trev

Social source share

Would you require them to own the cd in the first place. There are some who would quite happily borrow one just to get it cut on a disk.

You could always take a cd walkman along with you if you wanted to play a cd only track at venues where you think they would`nt have them. Pretty easy to plug one into a mixer these days. That way you`d have the cd to hand to show anyone who was interested what to look out for as promontoin for the track.

Trev

I think the walkman bit is a good idea mate, whats the quality like thru them ???. BTW I feel i've lost my way a little here. If I'm honest this is all coming across like I regularly cut new released soul to acetate, I have never done this, I have cut the odd unissued Northern track to acetate, but usually the venues that I would play the Modern stuff at would have a CD player so has never been an issue for me, I was speaking generally & I stress its merely an opinion.

And yes, I think you should own the CD, but I take your point with the borrowing bit, never really thought about that to be honest, as its not something I would do personally..

Russ

Social source share

I think the walkman bit is a good idea mate, whats the quality like thru them ???.

Russ

Not too sure really. Just something ive wondered about in the past but I suspect if you pay decent money for one then it would sound ok. Must be cheaper in the long run for someone who cuts disc`s on a regular basis

Trev

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert