Sean Oliver You & Me

Quick one: Got someone who wants the following twelves from me - ( Not on here I hasten to add ) have no idea of value

Sean Oliver - You & Me 12 EP w/ Pic Cover MINT

Al Green - Keep On Pushing Love - BMG 12 Promo ( Think its the one with Sacha Mix?? Could be wrong )

Bobby Womack - So Many Sides Of You - UK Motown

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Social source share

• Replies 55
  • Views 4.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

There`s a copy of the Sean Oliver 12 on Gemm.Should be a link here : https://www.gemm.com/c/search.pl?&filt_sect...ry=NEW+ARRIVALS

otherwise just type in soulcitizen for the seller name in the search engine and browse his new arrivals section. You might be suprised at the price too £57.00

Also re the Al Green 12. Did`nt know there was a different mix. Is he really desperate for it on 12" as it`s on the album "your hearts in good hands" which ime sure you`ll find a lot cheaper than a 12 however it is a cd blush.gif

Hope this helps, Trev

Edited by Coxy
Social source share

Strange that as I know Rod Dearlove used play it off that cd.So all that time he was playing the wrong mix, you live and learn blush.gif

Edited by Coxy
Social source share

Me too. I've always assumed it was the wrong 'mix ' that I had.. As you say, live and learn..

Rich

Most people I know played it off the cd blush.gif

Social source share

it seems due to demand sean oliver is about £60. Sams been playing it

al green is a better mix on the dont look back lp but was it only available on cd

It crossed over to the northern scene and the 12in old school mix was their only option

u know how they like their vinyl and its not bad. ive seen it for £80 but realistically

£40. bobby womack?????? did it get a release on 12 originally. it should be on

tmg 1267. the 7in has sold for 3 figures, barmy innit but ive only seen re issue 12s

maybe £30

dave pinch

Social source share

Just repeating what I've been told guys! Could be I was misinformed - certainly no expert LOL. Maybe one of the New Chapter guys could confirm or deny.

The Joey Negro remix of the Al Green also appears on a CD single - also quite rare. If I remember right there is a press fault on all of the promo 12s affecting the sound quality. A slight buzzing noise - this doesn't happen on the CD copies.

There was a good reason why they didn't go ahead and release it at the time - but for the life of me I can't remember why :rolleyes:

Girf

Social source share

There`s a copy of the Sean Oliver 12 on Gemm.Should be a link here : https://www.gemm.com/c/search.pl?&filt_sect...ry=NEW+ARRIVALS

otherwise just type in soulcitizen for the seller name in the search engine and browse his new arrivals section. You might be suprised at the price too £57.00

Also re the Al Green 12. Did`nt know there was a different mix. Is he really desperate for it on 12" as it`s on the album "your hearts in good hands" which ime sure you`ll find a lot cheaper than a 12 however it is a cd :rolleyes:

Hope this helps, Trev

Makes me laugh when I think how many copies we sold (at Crazy Beat) of the Sean Oliver EP when it came out. Probably over half the entire press run. Plus the CD albums too. In fact I think we bought the remainder of the CD stock just before I left in 2004. A constant seller from release til then - not many albums could boast that !!!

Girf

Social source share

Most people I know played it off the cd unsure.gif

I always play it off CD Trev..........have the 12" but usually use CD.......can't recall them being that different......will have to compare again.

Makes me chuckle this.......one thing I've noticed since joining this particular forum is that the truly modern soul records mentioned (i.e. less than 10 years old) are almost all qualified by the "Soul Sam's been playing it, so it's £50....." or the like. There are records (& CD's) coming through all the time that are more than worthy of attention, but they won't get that attention til Sam plays them...........and if he doesn't, well, goodbye.....it's off into obscurity for them...............for a few years anyway ph34r.gif:ohmy: .........apart from for us who track these things down week in week out swoon.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

I always play it off CD Trev..........have the 12" but usually use CD.......can't recall them being that different......will have to compare again.

Makes me chuckle this.......one thing I've noticed since joining this particular forum is that the truly modern soul records mentioned (i.e. less than 10 years old) are almost all qualified by the "Soul Sam's been playing it, so it's £50....." or the like. There are records (& CD's) coming through all the time that are more than worthy of attention, but they won't get that attention til Sam plays them...........and if he doesn't, well, goodbye.....it's off into obscurity for them...............for a few years anyway unsure.gifph34r.gif .........apart from for us who track these things down week in week out swoon.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Very true Mark -

Used to buy quite a lot of new stuff until a few years ago - and can still be picked up quite cheap if you look hard enough . Found a few copies of The Affair 12's - Are you Ready & If Only You Could Be Mine couple of months back - 50p a pop - all went at £5 - £10 into Europe / Couple to Japan!

Still see the old brit soul stuff cheap all the time. Maybe you can give us all some recommendations?

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Guest Dodger

The fact that certain tracks only seem to be accepted when 'Sam's been playing it' is always a source of amusment for me as well, but I also find it a bit of a shame that the still-prevalent vinyl preference can hold back the exposure of many great tracks easily on a par and in many many cases better than the Sean Olivers and Al Greens of this world simply because they're only on CD. swoon.gif

Social source share

The fact that certain tracks only seem to be accepted when 'Sam's been playing it' is always a source of amusment for me as well, but I also find it a bit of a shame that the still-prevalent vinyl preference can hold back the exposure of many great tracks easily on a par and in many many cases better than the Sean Olivers and Al Greens of this world simply because they're only on CD. swoon.gif

Aye up Rodge,

I think the still prevalent vinyl preference is only held by people generally into older music, ie Northern or crossover. Certainly for DJing with, if not for home listening. I don't think the kind of tunes you may be thinking of are necessarily held back because they don't get played in a Northern room, as to my ears they are a million years apart. Modern, current music generally gets played in the rooms which are full of people who want to hear it, who's DJ's don't worry about whether it's vinyl or cd because the room will have facilities to play both. I don't think that the few people in a Northern room who might have liked it if it had been played really hold back the exposure of a tune. Let's face it, any Modern music that does get embraced by people into the older soul music styles is always well after it's been hammered in the Modern rooms.

Jordi

Social source share

I still don't understand why a 12" would be more sought after and more expensive than a CD, just because the room playing the song doesn't have the equipment to play a CD. The CD contains more songs (great, solid CD in this case) and is easier and cheaper to find. The CD is the original release too.

Social source share

Makes me chuckle this.......one thing I've noticed since joining this particular forum is that the truly modern soul records mentioned (i.e. less than 10 years old) are almost all qualified by the "Soul Sam's been playing it, so it's £50....." or the like. There are records (& CD's) coming through all the time that are more than worthy of attention, but they won't get that attention til Sam plays them...........and if he doesn't, well, goodbye.....it's off into obscurity for them...............for a few years anyway :(:D .........apart from for us who track these things down week in week out thumbsup.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Mark & Rog (from your posting a bit further down)

jeez, leave the poor bloke alone!

you and rog only need to hear the whiff of his name linked to a tune from the last 10 years and the knives come out (albeit mixed with smilies and winks so we know you don't mean it really :( )

We all know you both turn new tunes up all the time, that's a given!

Lighten up, this isn't EMS you know, people respect Sam round these parts :ohmy::lol::(

ps this is meant to read as light hearted so don't you two go off on one (although i'll bet you do) laugh.gif:Dyes.gif

Steve Plumb

Social source share

Guest Dodger

you and rog only need to hear the whiff of his name linked to a tune from the last 10 years and the knives come out (albeit mixed with smilies and winks so we know you don't mean it really yes.gif )

Steve Plumb

If you read it properly I don't believe my posting was a dig at Sam, but no doubt by the end of tonight it will have been twisted around as usual and Sam will have been told by the hairnets I've had another pop at him on "RSoul.con" . . . . thumbsup.giflaugh.gif:ohmy:

Social source share

I also find it a bit of a shame that the still-prevalent vinyl preference can hold back the exposure of many great tracks easily on a par and in many many cases better than the Sean Olivers and Al Greens of this world simply because they're only on CD. thumbsup.gif

Agreed.........totally, but you knew that!!! laugh.gif

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

jeez, leave the poor bloke alone!

you and rog only need to hear the whiff of his name linked to a tune from the last 10 years and the knives come out (albeit mixed with smilies and winks so we know you don't mean it really yes.gif )

We all know you both turn new tunes up all the time, that's a given!

Lighten up, this isn't EMS you know, people respect Sam round these parts :ohmy::lol::(

ps this is meant to read as light hearted so don't you two go off on one (although i'll bet you do) thumbsup.giflaugh.gif:(

Steve Plumb

Plumbster,

I was not having a dig at Sam, just the scenario. Sam was and still is a fantastic character who the scene in general would be much poorer for without. Hell, he was first name on the teamsheet for our first Soul Purpose gig, and we always have interesting but amicable exchanges of views on music!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Let's face it, any Modern music that does get embraced by people into the older soul music styles is always well after it's been hammered in the Modern rooms.

Jordi

What's the actual reason for this? I've never fully understood. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

If you read it properly I don't believe my posting was a dig at Sam, but no doubt by the end of tonight it will have been twisted around as usual and Sam will have been told by the hairnets I've had another pop at him on "RSoul.con" . . . . thumbsup.giflaugh.gif:ohmy:

reeled one in yes.gif

i knew you wouldn't be able to help yourself :lol:

Social source share

Plumbster,

I was not having a dig at Sam, just the scenario. Sam was and still is a fantastic character who the scene in general would be much poorer for without. Hell, he was first name on the teamsheet for our first Soul Purpose gig, and we always have interesting but amicable exchanges of views on music!!

Cheers,

Mark R

ey up Mark, you didn't bite like Roger did, you must OF counted to 10 biggrin.gif

well, one out of two ain't bad thumbsup.gif

i see you still managed to get a plug in tho' laugh.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Plumbster,

Cheers,

Mark R

Neither was I mate, but the reaction just highlights how these guys' minds work and what they choose to read into things that get posted. Good job everything's down in black and white so the proof of what's actually been said is there for all to read. laugh.gif And if that's me biting, then fair play, one nil to the opposition but at least Sam will have some more material to use at me in the next issue of Manifestering . . . . thumbsup.gif

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Neither was I mate, but the reaction just highlights how these guys' minds work and what they choose to read into things that get posted. Good job everything's down in black and white so the proof of what's actually been said is there for all to read. laugh.gif And if that's me biting, then fair play, one nil to the opposition but at least Sam will have some more material to use at me in the next issue of Manifestering . . . . thumbsup.gif

i think i'll leave it at one-nil before it gets serious

Social source share

What's the actual reason for this? I've never fully understood. beer.gif

This is what got me started on this in the first place Dodge. We were playing Al Green as a new release a long time back, the Northern guys only now start picking up on it and then tell us "your playing the wrong mix", Like I said earlier, "we live and learn" :unsure:

Trev

Social source share

didnt realise i was opening a can of worms by saying soul sam plays sean oliver in northern rooms.

but its great to have people like him doing so. i wish there were more djs that played more modern classics

in the northern rooms with an anything goes policy. rather than some of the 50s early 60s R n B we

have to endure.

Social source share

i wish there were more djs that played more modern classics

in the northern rooms with an anything goes policy. rather than some of the 50s early 60s R n B we

have to endure.

You dont have endure mate :unsure:

Social source share

didnt realise i was opening a can of worms by saying soul sam plays sean oliver in northern rooms.

but its great to have people like him doing so. i wish there were more djs that played more modern classics

have to endure.

Don't worry bout the canna werms Dave, them guy's are at it all the time laugh.gif

Can thoroughly recommend Coxy's do at Lucarly's :unsure: . If your'e going over & your'e stuck for a navigator get in touch as i ain't got a lift yet.

As for all this CD v vinyl bollox i think i've got a soloution, the new Cunniedisc (kinda rolls off the tongue don't it) that i'm working on, 6" diamiater, plays as a CD on 1 side then 10 years later you can flip it over & play the other side on your record deck.

Perfect soloution for the Modern/Northern scenes :lol:

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Guest taylormadesoul

The Joey Negro remix of the Al Green also appears on a CD single - also quite rare. If I remember right there is a press fault on all of the promo 12s affecting the sound quality. A slight buzzing noise - this doesn't happen on the CD copies.

There was a good reason why they didn't go ahead and release it at the time - but for the life of me I can't remember why :unsure:

Girf

girf , was it something to do with the clearance got held up while al green performed in the tv series

"ALLY McBEAL" in which he actually sang the song.......( i could be wrong , yet again )

Social source share

Guest MOLLY

Quick one: Got someone who wants the following twelves from me - ( Not on here I hasten to add ) have no idea of value

Sean Oliver - You & Me 12 EP w/ Pic Cover MINT

Al Green - Keep On Pushing Love - BMG 12 Promo ( Think its the one with Sacha Mix?? Could be wrong )

Bobby Womack - So Many Sides Of You - UK Motown

Thanks in advance.

Rich

Paid £70 for my mint copy of Sean Oliver last november. :shades: You don't see it that often.

Social source share

bobby womack?????? did it get a release on 12 originally. it should be on

tmg 1267. the 7in has sold for 3 figures, barmy innit but ive only seen re issue 12s

maybe £30

Dave It was issued on the Blue/white uk motown on 7" and 12" 1981 i have them both in front of me right now both are listed as TMG1267 and both are exatly same mix, length etc has the original price on them both £1.50 the 7" £1.99 the 12" so you can see why the put it on "wide" vinyl

dave pinch

Is this the Bobby Womack 12" you have ??

Nowt like that one girth, late UK blue white label was the 1st issue have seen it on the one youve got it has other tracks added if not mistaken?? the original only has so many sides / just my imagination

Geeooooorrdie

post-1927-1143756134_thumb.jpg

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

This is what got me started on this in the first place Dodge. We were playing Al Green as a new release a long time back, the Northern guys only now start picking up on it and then tell us "your playing the wrong mix", Like I said earlier, "we live and learn"

Trev

Oh dear, the superior modern soul guy's strike again :yes: .............................I'll have you know that certain venues that play Northern aswell as other kinds of soul music did play this & many other new releases, I collect from the early 60's to present day, I dont even come near to catching every new release, but things like Al Green were played as new releases in most of the forward thinking venues I was attending, along with Sean Oliver etc, etc. The smilies might be winking etc, but we all know that for some reason you feel superior to the guy's that appreciate the soul output from other decades, I'm just pleased that good records (CD's) can reach a wider audience. Also think that you will find, that the venues that thrash these records are the venues that people like myself would not attend any way. I like it Northern, Xover, Modern, Newly releases or what ever, if its soulful & ya can dance to it & its got that certain something then its ok with me. Oh BTW same venues I mentioned earlier all had CD players aswell as decks, so you can get off your high horses now & try & think of some other way's you can make yourselves feel soulfully superior :(wink.gif:(:):( .

See how many bites we get for that................

Russ

PS The Newbury Nighters also had mini disc too.............& this was far too many years ago for me to remember now, hope this is technically enough advanced for your kinda soul music.

Edited by Russ Vickers
Social source share

Guest SteveC

Oh dear, the superior modern soul guy's strike again :) .............................I'll have you know that certain venues that play Northern aswell as other kinds of soul music did play this & many other new releases, I collect from the early 60's to present day, I dont even come near to catching every new release, but things like Al Green were played as new releases in most of the forward thinking venues I was attending, along with Sean Oliver etc, etc. The smilies might be winking etc, but we all know that for some reason you feel superior to the guy's that appreciate the soul output from other decades, I'm just pleased that good records (CD's) can reach a wider audience. Also think that you will find, that the venues that thrash these records are the venues that people like myself would not attend any way. I like it Northern, Xover, Modern, Newly releases or what ever, if its soulful & ya can dance to it & its got that certain something then its ok with me. Oh BTW same venues I mentioned earlier all had CD players aswell as decks, so you can get off your high horses now & try & think of some other way's you can make yourselves feel soulfully superior :D:(wink.gif:(:( .

Russ

PS The Newbury Nighters also had mini disc too.............& this was far too many years ago for me to remember now, hope this is technically enough advanced for your kinda soul music.

Fuckin Matelots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :(:yes::(

Don't even think about doubting my wink Vickers :D

Social source share

Oh dear, the superior modern soul guy's strike again :) .............................I'll have you know that certain venues that play Northern aswell as other kinds of soul music did play this & many other new releases, I collect from the early 60's to present day, I dont even come near to catching every new release, but things like Al Green were played as new releases in most of the forward thinking venues I was attending, along with Sean Oliver etc, etc. The smilies might be winking etc, but we all know that for some reason you feel superior to the guy's that appreciate the soul output from other decades, I'm just pleased that good records (CD's) can reach a wider audience. Also think that you will find, that the venues that thrash these records are the venues that people like myself would not attend any way. I like it Northern, Xover, Modern, Newly releases or what ever, if its soulful & ya can dance to it & its got that certain something then its ok with me. Oh BTW same venues I mentioned earlier all had CD players aswell as decks, so you can get off your high horses now & try & think of some other way's you can make yourselves feel soulfully superior :D:):D:D:D .

Russ

Best posting i've ever seen on Soul Source - well done that man :D:D:D

Steve

Social source share

Guest Dodger

Best posting i've ever seen on Soul Source - well done that man :):D:D

Steve

Yeah, you give it to the nasty boys, Russ, put 'em in their place!! :D:D:):D

Social source share

I think the point that was that trying to be made,was the fact so many good sounds are getting passed over because they did not get a vinyl release,if Al Green and Sean Oliver had not been put out on 12's and had stayed on CD only,then we wouldn't be discussing them,cos they would never have got played on the northern scene.Unless of course a dj took a CD and got a track cut onto vinyl,and then played it.But that would be playing a bootleg,wouldn't it?? :yes:

Social source share

That's right Pete. I think it's great that they get played in northern rooms but can't understand why it's just a few of this type and why it has to be vinyl. It's different to the older records because the CD is the original release and you can't much more for your money - particularly in the case of the Al Green CD.

Social source share

Neither was I mate, but the reaction just highlights how these guys' minds work and what they choose to read into things that get posted. Good job everything's down in black and white so the proof of what's actually been said is there for all to read. :thumbsup: And if that's me biting, then fair play, one nil to the opposition but at least Sam will have some more material to use at me in the next issue of Manifestering . . . . :shades:

You might have to wait a while there Dodg - the next article is on his exploits in Spain. :lamsey:

Social source share

Guest Dodger

You might have to wait a while there Dodg - the next article is on his exploits in Spain. :shades:

I'd like to think the whole sorry episode could be brought to a close now Steve to be honest. :thumbsup:

Edited by Dodger
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert