How D'ya File Your Tunes ?

s7oul

Had a couple of days off work and spent most of it filing my 7''s

I decided to file all my sixties by region/city - Detroit, Windy City, Philly, New York, West Coast, Southern States & various, then UK label Soul, major label, ie Atlantic, RCA, Columbia etc, 70's Soulful Dance, 80's Independent and Deep Soul.

Having just labelled up the shelves I'm proud of my achievement and called the missus into the record room for her to admire.

She responded by saying I could sell them now, 3 for a quid and promptly told me I should get back to work.

Cheers Pat

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I decided to file all my sixties by region/city - Detroit, Windy City, Philly, New York, West Coast, Southern States & various, then UK label Soul, major label, ie Atlantic, RCA, Columbia etc, 70's Soulful Dance, 80's Independent and Deep Soul.

Having just labelled up the shelves I'm proud of my achievement and called the missus into the record room for her to admire.

She responded by saying I could sell them now, 3 for a quid and promptly told me I should get back to work.

Cheers Pat

Great Question and even more difficult to answer if you collect ALL things Soulful.

Way back (35+ years ago when all US issues were rare) I always had them alphabetical by Label name (Action, Atlantic, Beacon, Bell, etc.) but, although Label name is still the main filing order, the collection is now divided into US (60's & 70's) & UK (60's & 70's) 'Top level' sections and then by label with seperate drawers (and boxes) for such sections as Deep Soul, Motown and some by certain Key artists (Womack, Dees etc.)

Works for me.. but, certainly, only I would be able to find my way around it.

If you just collect 'Northern' or 'British' the task has got to be a hell of a lot easier.

Always perplexed me how others do it though!

Sean Hampsey

Edited by Sean Hampsey
Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

As ,me and dad collect records all sorts they are being sorted by style, all Northern soul are A-Z, then have like 60's soul, 70's soul, 80's soul, 90's soul, Motown, Philly, Funk, Disco, R & B (as term given in mid 80's) then all other music styles like Rock, Indie, Country, Reggae, 60's pop, 70's pop, 80's pop. plus apart from Northern soul all artist records have to be put under 1 style only cause i would not want to put say half of Aretha Franklin records in 60's and say where's rest when there in 70's or 80's so she goes in the decade she more likely to be found, same with rest of records.

Social source share

Blimey, you lot are very good, I just chuck mine in record boxes which are all over the place :rolleyes:

I'm with you on this one Karen. Takes me forever to find a sound sometimes! When I first started collecting I used to have them all Label A-Z. Not anymore................guess I'm too lazy. They're all in mixed up boxes and on shelves now. Keep saying to myself that I should keep them all boxed incase I need tog et them out of the place quickly, but got round to that yet.

Only filing rule I have now is, new arrivals at the front of my play box.

Social source share

Alphabetically by artists first name...tried to do my DJ boxes by label once, went out and could`nt find a bloody thing!

Chris

By "First" name :rolleyes::rolleyes: I thought I was the only one that did that. With some band names particularly it saves confusion. There in bookcases, DJ boxes, Sales Boxes and Cardboard boxes in record room and two other bedrooms. I will sort them out when I retire.

Social source share

Guest sydney bridge
I file mine round the edges with a coarse bastard. Helps 12" singles fit in 7" sleeves. unsure.gif
good one Gene :ohmy:ph34r.gif and noone can tell you off for writing BASTARD in this case. swoon.gif
Social source share

Mark Bicknell' 30 2006, 08:53 PM' Four boxes, a huge book case type of affair, all nice and neat but in no order its more fun and i know where they all are...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Fair enough, so wheres The Vontastics "I'll Never Say Goodbye" in shelf terms :thumbsup:

Second shelf down about ten records in.....lol i think?, i'm so glad i've not got as many records as the likes of Ged Parker, Mr Speakman etc. must be scary having all those second issue British records hey Mark....lol

I'll dig The Vontastics out Ian and play it on the show Easter Sunday that's if i can find it...lol

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

By "First" name :yes::yes: I thought I was the only one that did that.

Ged, I file all of my sales like that as well! People always smile when they are looking thru and I say "in alphabetical order by artist FIRST name"! Hey it works for me......

I know its cool to file by label but i just cant remember that stuff after 5 pints! I know Shifty always filed his DJ box by label.......we had a discussion whilst in the states once about what we look for when looking thru records.....(I am twice as fast as he is....at least) and he looks for labels......I look at the artists names....strange innit....

Chris.

Social source share

Cheers Pat

I list mine alphabetically by artist. which means i can always remember the artist but for the life of me cant remember what the f ## k they sing :thumbsup:

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert