Carstairs Record Brutally Attacked

Pete S

Guest martyn

Hmmm.. some would say that was exactly what made it a Northern tune... :thumbsup:

:lol: I would count myself as one of the 'some'

Social source share

• Replies 138
  • Views 9.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Jamie

No strictly true Jamie, it's the only real issue - the bootleg is the vinyl white demo, the pink ones are real. albeit they were probably pressed a while after the proper white demos.

By the way, I didn't accidentally break the record, I deliberately smashed it, but that was because it hissed all the way through and was unsellable. Even I wouldn't be daft enough to smash something I could get 40 quid for. It did feel good though :thumbsup:

Wasn't it only issued to cope with demand several years after release of demo? If that's the case, then it loses any credibility with me as a genuine 'Issue'. I know I'm being pedantic, but this is Northern Soul we're talking about here :lol:

Must admit, I've heard loads of waffle about it. The White Demo is the only one that should be sought after IMVHO if what I typed above is correct.

If it is incorrect, then please ignore :lol:

Social source share

Wasn't it only issued to cope with demand several years after release of demo? If that's the case, then it loses any credibility with me as a genuine 'Issue'. I know I'm being pedantic, but this is Northern Soul we're talking about here :thumbsup:

Must admit, I've heard loads of waffle about it. The White Demo is the only one that should be sought after IMVHO if what I typed above is correct.

If it is incorrect, then please ignore :lol:

No the timespan was more likely a matter of months between Mr Levine playing it and the pink ones being on sale in 75

Social source share

Guest Jamie

No the timespan was more likely a matter of months between Mr Levine playing it and the pink ones being on sale in 75

Ah right. I suppose because of the stories surrounding the Pink Issue I've always considered it suss.

Funny how that happens over the years; even when you're told it's kosher you still think it's iffy :thumbsup:

Social source share

Wasn't it only issued to cope with demand several years after release of demo? If that's the case, then it loses any credibility with me as a genuine 'Issue'. I know I'm being pedantic, but this is Northern Soul we're talking about here :shades:

If it is incorrect, then please ignore :yes:

Your point is quite correct Jamie. it was issued after to meet demand. A bit like 3 before 8 ? :lol:

Your WD comment is also correct. I may have bought mineoff Pete :thumbsup:

As an aside, if we take all 70's 80's 90's funk etc out of the equation, what would the"Northern Scene" be playing now ? And how many devotees would it have ?

ps, if you are "back on the tools", its a helluva shovel you've got with a laptop built in it :lol:

Edited by SteveM
Social source share

Guest rachel

What I really want to know is why this group named themselves after a small town in Lanarkshire (incidentally where Scotland's high security State Hospital is - if you ever travel by train on the West Coast line to/from Scotland, you will experience the 'Carstairs crawl' where the train slows down to about 20mph and you get a great view of all the barbed wire fences).

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Your point is quite correct Jamie. it was issued after to meet demand. A bit like 3 before 8 ? :lol:

Your WD comment is also correct. I may have bought mineoff Pete :thumbsup:

As an aside, if we take all 70's 80's 90's funk etc out of the equation, what would the"Northern Scene" be playing now ? And how many devotees would it have ?

ps, if you are "back on the tools", its a helluva shovel you've got with a laptop built in it :lol:

:shades: Nah mate, slipped back into a comfy chair. I work in Ilkley now and the views from my window are spectacular :yes:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

What I really want to know is why this group named themselves after a small town in Lanarkshire (incidentally where Scotland's high security State Hospital is - if you ever travel by train on the West Coast line to/from Scotland, you will experience the 'Carstairs crawl' where the train slows down to about 20mph and you get a great view of all the barbed wire fences).

I've heard of Beattock Summit, is it near there? Famous old tune sung to the sound that a steam engine made. I think ? :thumbsup:

Social source share

i do hope this is going to be a weekly thread..............

POWER TOOLS vs NORTHERN SOUL.,BTW Pete,when's the trashing of DJ GENESIS?.

Might get some "popcorn"(oops) in for that one :thumbsup: .

Nomination for trashing.....Sidney Barnes-standing on solid s88t.....nil points :lol:

Social source share

i do hope this is going to be a weekly thread..............

POWER TOOLS vs NORTHERN SOUL.,BTW Pete,when's the trashing of DJ GENESIS?.

Might get some "popcorn"(oops) in for that one :thumbsup: .

Nomination for trashing.....Sidney Barnes-standing on solid s88t.....nil points :lol:

If I had it, I'd do it!

Was thinking of something along the lines of a suicide frisbee from the top of the Clee Hills for that one

Social source share

Guest rachel

I've heard of Beattock Summit, is it near there? Famous old tune sung to the sound that a steam engine made. I think ?

:thumbsup:

Nurse! This one's escaped... :lol:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

If I had it, I'd do it!

Was thinking of something along the lines of a suicide frisbee from the top of the Clee Hills for that one

:thumbsup:

Perhaps you should write off to Vic Reeves on Brainiacs, see if they can come up with the best way to dispatch a Carstairs or DJ Genesis record into the atmospher ?

& well you're at it ask about doing the same with a Frank Popp too !!

Social source share

Guest Jamie

:lol:

Nurse! This one's escaped... :lol:

Night Mail

This is the Night Mail crossing the border,

Bringing the cheque and the postal order,

Letters for the rich, letters for the poor,

The shop at the corner and the girl next door.

Pulling up Beattock, a steady climb:

The gradient's against her, but she's on time.

Past cotton-grass and moorland boulder

Shovelling white steam over her shoulder,

Snorting noisily as she passes

Silent miles of wind-bent grasses.

Birds turn their heads as she approaches,

Stare from the bushes at her blank-faced coaches.

Sheep-dogs cannot turn her course;

They slumber on with paws across.

In the farm she passes no one wakes,

But a jug in the bedroom gently shakes.

Dawn freshens, the climb is done.

Down towards Glasgow she descends

Towards the steam tugs yelping down the glade of cranes,

Towards the fields of apparatus, the furnaces

Set on the dark plain like gigantic chessmen.

All Scotland waits for her:

In the dark glens, beside the pale-green sea lochs

Men long for news.

Letters of thanks, letters from banks,

Letters of joy from the girl and the boy,

Receipted bills and invitations

To inspect new stock or visit relations,

And applications for situations

And timid lovers' declarations

And gossip, gossip from all the nations,

News circumstantial, news financial,

Letters with holiday snaps to enlarge in,

Letters with faces scrawled in the margin,

Letters from uncles, cousins, and aunts,

Letters to Scotland from the South of France,

Letters of condolence to Highlands and Lowlands

Notes from overseas to Hebrides

Written on paper of every hue,

The pink, the violet, the white and the blue,

The chatty, the catty, the boring, adoring,

The cold and official and the heart's outpouring,

Clever, stupid, short and long,

The typed and the printed and the spelt all wrong.

Thousands are still asleep

Dreaming of terrifying monsters,

Or of friendly tea beside the band at Cranston's or Crawford's:

Asleep in working Glasgow, asleep in well-set Edinburgh,

Asleep in granite Aberdeen,

They continue their dreams,

And shall wake soon and long for letters,

And none will hear the postman's knock

Without a quickening of the heart,

For who can bear to feel himself forgotten?

(W H Auden)

Steve G will know this one, Stanier 4F's chugging up the bank etc .. etc... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Bogue

If I had it, I'd do it!

P.s.

:thumbsup: :lol: Whatever you do, Don't venture up the Clee Hills !!!!!

post-5566-1181041522.jpgpost-5566-1181041537_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Guest rachel

Night Mail

Oh, that one :lol:

As for the Carstairs and whether it's any good, do you think we should have a poll? :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Oh, that one :lol:

As for the Carstairs and whether it's any good, do you think we should have a poll? :thumbsup:

Please do, Rach. It'll stop me going off topic :shades:

p.s. SteveM - PML :lol:

Social source share

post-1893-1180980090_thumb.jpg

WHAT THE F..K RUNNING OVER A CARSTAIRS 45, PETE I LIKE U BECAUSE U SPEAK UR MIND AND U DONT TAKE ANY SHIT, WHICH I LIKE IN A MAN, I'M NOT GOING LET U WIND ME UP OVER THIS, AT THE MOMENT MY KNUCKLES ARE WHITE, AND THE ARTERY IN MY NECK IS STICKING OUT, I DONT CARE WHAT THE OTHER PUSSYS SAY ABOUT IT, COMING FROM U IM VERY SURPRISED DROP THE POLL ON THE CARSTAIRS. BILLY

Social source share

Aren't the pink label copies second issues anyway... pressed up by Red Coach, quite some time after the white demo copies, due to northern demand? :rolleyes::wicked: I'm sure I've read that years ago. Someone put me straight if I'm wrong.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

WHAT THE F..K RUNNING OVER A CARSTAIRS 45, PETE I LIKE U BECAUSE U SPEAK UR MIND AND U DONT TAKE ANY SHIT, WHICH I LIKE IN A MAN, I'M NOT GOING LET U WIND ME UP OVER THIS, AT THE MOMENT MY KNUCKLES ARE WHITE, AND THE ARTERY IN MY NECK IS STICKING OUT, I DONT CARE WHAT THE OTHER PUSSYS SAY ABOUT IT, COMING FROM U IM VERY SURPRISED DROP THE POLL ON THE CARSTAIRS. BILLY

Read the whole topic you silly sod, I didn't run it over, I placed it there.

Social source share

Aren't the pink label copies second issues anyway... pressed up by Red Coach, quite some time after the white demo copies, due to northern demand? :rolleyes::wicked: I'm sure I've read that years ago. Someone put me straight if I'm wrong.

I said that above..

Social source share

This is actually Carstairs Junction where there is a sharp curve and hence a speed restriction.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Get a sense of humour you miserable git.

OK, you pathetic nonentity!

post-4950-1181116112_thumb.jpg

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest Jamie

This is actually Carstairs Junction where there is a sharp curve and hence a speed restriction.

I thought you'd know that one, Steve :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest Black Gold of the Sun

Each to his own but I think its a great tune. Im a 7ts soul fan all the way. I wouldnt mind taking a hammer to DOUG BANKS- "I JUST KEPT ON DANCING" though, or FATHER'S ANGELS- "BOK TO BACH or MARSHA GEE'S- "PEANUT DUCK". 3 awful records IMO.

Now you,re talking .A man after my own heart. :thumbsup:

Edited by Black Gold of the Sun
Social source share

Now you,re talking .A man after my own heart. :thumbsup:

Must be a generation thing. Our ancestors who attended the Wheel and The Torch and the Cats would have killed to get on the floor to dance to Bok o bach. It's what Northern Soul is all about - or rather it was, before someone decided all NS had to be 'really soulful' like, man

Social source share

Guest mel brat

COULDNT HAVE PUT IT BETTER MYSELF,SUCH ELOQUENCE :thumbsup:

Yes, he's pretty eloquent I guess - for a retard with touret's syndrome...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert