Get These Played - 5 From The Box That Deserve More Attention

Guest Ferrett

Guest Ferrett

Recently did myself a tape off 2006 purchases to play at home to avoid wearing out the vinyl/styrene.

Lots of tunes I really love, but 5 in particular that stood out. Does anyone know if these are getting played out anywhere....

Find yourself another - Johnny Gilliam (Bomar). Got plays in the 80's but anything since???

Step into my world - Harry Starr (End). Massive voiced b-side to Another time, another place

Stop & Listen - Patti Drew (Capitol). Another huge voice! Sounding as good as Linda Jones!!

Just an Illusion - Earls Inc (Zudan). Cavernous echoing vocal over crossover midtempo

Dont destroy me - Carol Jones (Mutt). Title says it all. Awesome funky midtempo with killer horns.

I've heard Patti Drew played out once recently in an excellent spot by Karl Rhodes :shades: and I've heard the Earls Inc track on the radio at Prestatyn, but apart from that, nothing.

Anyone know of venues playing this kind of stuff or is it to be resigned to my living room forever!?!?!

Ferrett

Social source share

• Replies 23
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest rachel

Patti Drew being played by a few people (including me when I do the odd spot, played it at New Century on Boxing Day to pretty good reaction). Not sure if I know the others so off to hunt down soundfiles :thumbsup:

Social source share

Jock O'Connor used to always play Harry Starr 'Step into my world' at Shotts all niters :thumbsup:

Have got the Earls inc and Carol Jones ..... not sure about all niter material ... good all the same.

Carole Jones being a big tape fav from Ady Harley around 15 years ago ... probably more!

God ... now i feel really old!

Social source share

Guest Ferrett

Have got the Earls inc and Carol Jones ..... not sure about all niter material ... good all the same.

Hi Joan,

I agree, not really niter material but I reckon both would go at somewhere like Steve Cato's Manchester do's. Pehaps a tweek to +5 on the Technics decks?! :lol::thumbsup:

Social source share

Harry Starr is awesome, know Paul Sadot played it aswell as Mark Bicknell....brilliant record.

Plus the Patti Drew, fantastic stuff..( see above)

Social source share

Ferrett said:
Dont destroy me - Carol Jones (Mutt). Title says it all. Awesome funky midtempo with killer horns.

Anyone know of venues playing this kind of stuff or is it to be resigned to my living room forever!?!?!

Ferrett

Hi Ferret,

from your description it sounds to me like you are listening to the first release of the Carol Jones, either way both sides of this 45 are great. It was released twice on Mutt and each time both sides were a different recording of the tunes (see attached files for comparison). The labels have a slightly different layout, but the easiest way to distinguise between the two (if you cant listen) is that the 2nd (faster) version has the address and phone number at the bottom of the label, the earlier release has no adress on it.

post-2741-1143709465_thumb.jpg

post-2741-1143709485_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hi Ferret,

from your description it sounds to me like you are listening to the first release of the Carol Jones, either way both sides of this 45 are great. It was released twice on Mutt and each time both sides were a different recording of the tunes (see attached files for comparison). The labels have a slightly different layout, but the easiest way to distinguise between the two (if you cant listen) is that the 2nd (faster) version has the address and phone number at the bottom of the label, the earlier release has no adress on it.

There are two recordings used on the plain (no lines) label too. They are visually distinguishable by an X at the end of the matrix no.

Same story with Milton Harris - She's Hurting Me on Mutt too.

I'll try and post up soundfiles etc this evening.

Phil

Social source share

As Mr Franklin kindly pointed out i have played Harry Starr more on the show rather than out at the gigs, has to be one of the best down tempo emotional tracks ever, also hold the Patti Drew 45 in my collection another very under rated tune that should get more turntable action.

Good thread this will be back later with a selection of five that deserve a mention and a few spins.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Jock O'Connor used to always play Harry Starr 'Step into my world' at Shotts all niters :thumbsup:

Carole Jones being a big tape fav from Ady Harley around 15 years ago ... probably more!

God ... now i feel really old!

===========

ady harley blimey blast from the past

perhaps the greatest guy ive ever met on the northern scene..

big loss when he up'd to ozzie land

their gain ...

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Johnny Gilliam has had plays, Greg played it at The CSC, have played it out a few times myself. Heard someone else play it recently too, may have been in Gothenburg. Great track.

Social source share

===========

ady harley blimey blast from the past

perhaps the greatest guy ive ever met on the northern scene..

big loss when he up'd to ozzie land

their gain ...

Could be wrong but I think he's coming over this summer... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I should be at work but i'm having a day with the Queen as my old Dad used to say AKA pulled a sicky...lol

As promised here's a selection of five which just might do the trick.

The Whispers - Needle In A Haystack - Soul Clock 1004 - Not to be confused with the Motown girly thingy song, this is right up Mr Franklin's street, simply quality and you will be pushed to find a better 15 quid record.Possibly over looked because of the title, but when you consider The Whispers huge talent i.e. 'The Dip', 'Remember' etc. then this is a must record to check out.

The Festivals - You've Got The Makings Of A Lover - Smash 2091 - Much easier to locate than their brilliant double header Checkin' Out/Hey Girl for Blue Rock but quailty again all the same, sweet vocals and a great song and again you would be pushed to find a better record this time at 20 quid, 'Music' by them also on Smash is a nice Northern dancer also cheap and well worth a listen.

Cicero Blake - See What Tomorrow Brings - Success 108 - Great record, stunning vocal, moody and just does it for me also again it won't break the bank.

Jimmy Norman - I'm Leaving (This Old Town) - Mercury 72727 - This guy made some pretty awesome records for the likes of Little Star, Samar, Mercury etc. 'Family Tree' has become a pretty well known record in recent years which has it all for me, this one however needs some turntable action, simply brilliant, huge voice, thumping mid tempo back beat, it's hard edge SOUL made in heaven, seen this listed for around £100.00 which is a bargain in my book as it's quality suggests a much higher ticket price.

Buckner Brothers - Love You From The Bottom Of My Heart B/W A Change Is Gonna Come - Sanla 3001 - A Gem of a double header out of Chicago, i picked this up several years ago in a shop in Manchester for 15 quid, perhaps all it's money as i suspect there are plenty of copies out there, but when snapped up this will be yet another hard to find 45, again needs some plays out and about - BOTH SIDES.

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

Stop & Listen - Patti Drew (Capitol). Another huge voice! Sounding as good as Linda Jones!!

Just an Illusion - Earls Inc (Zudan). Cavernous echoing vocal over crossover midtempo

If anybody needs a copy of these 3 above - let me know - I have em all in stock...

Thx...MRez

PS - Yep - agreed, Carol Jones is a monsta but poss not a peaktime NS spin - early doors? No probs whatsoever...

Social source share

Johnny Gilliam has had plays, Greg played it at The CSC, have played it out a few times myself. Heard someone else play it recently too, may have been in Gothenburg. Great track

* Prob Samuel that played it here Stuart as he have it. Love it myself as well. Hope we see you over here soonish again btw

Edited by Soulof
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Johnny Gilliam has had plays, Greg played it at The CSC, have played it out a few times myself. Heard someone else play it recently too, may have been in Gothenburg. Great track

* Prob Samuel that played it here Stuart as he have it. Love it myself as well. Hope we see you over here soonish again btw

Hope to be there at the end of the Summer :thumbsup:

Social source share

The Festivals - You've Got The Makings Of A Lover - Smash 2091 - Much easier to locate than their brilliant double header Checkin' Out/Hey Girl for Blue Rock but quailty again all the same, sweet vocals and a great song and again you would be pushed to find a better record this time at 20 quid, 'Music' by them also on Smash is a nice Northern dancer also cheap and well worth a listen.

you're right mark that is an awesome slow to mid tempo record. isn't music the other side as opposed to a different 45 though? blush.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

you're right mark that is an awesome slow to mid tempo record. isn't music the other side as opposed to a different 45 though? blush.gif

I've got it on a different 45. :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert