Show Stoppers - Heartbreaker On Beacon

Richard

Hi all

Show Stoppers - Heartbreaker, is this UK only? and anyone got a current price please?

Thanks

=============

oooh nearly played this at the brum all niter,,had it out to play but never managed to put on

seen as low as a tenner and high as 50!!!

somewhere in the middle

great little record imo

regards

Social source share

Yes- it's UK only. The official UK A-side, "Shake Your Mini" came out in the USA on Showtime, but I have only heard of double-sided demos.

"Heartbreaker" has never been released outside of the UK.

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Thanks for the info fellas

I've got Pick Up Your Smile and What Can A Man Do but anyone got any others they can recomend by the showstoppers?

Probably overlooked their output in the past thinking they are naff because of Houseparty but it seems they had put out some great b sides

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Showsto...eartbreaker.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Showsto...an_A_Man_Do.ram

https://www.soulclub.org/stream/The_Showsto..._Your_Smile.ram

Ta

Edited by richard
Social source share

From 'manifesto' July '05

" I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH " - THE FOUR PERFECTIONS (Instrumental) - CREAM 5006 -7"

"GOTTA GET CLOSER TO MY LOVE"/'I'M NOT STRONG ENOUGH " (Instrumental) " -SHOWSTOPPERS/ INFERNO ORCHESTRA - INFERNO DEMO 1-7"

Two different 45's. The Cream release had a limited life in the UK-in fact according to an article from a 1978 "Soul Cargo" magazine, officially it was never relased at all due to mix up's with the licencing of the track.. so the instrumental version of the Four Perfections Northern favorite first surfaced officially on the UK Cream label on the backside of this non release of the vocal version. If you listen very closely you can hear what I reckon is the drummer going ' Yeh!' throughout as the beat stomps along.

The second 45 is a promo for the forthcoming (at the time - 1979) releases on Inferno. It's a double sider, with the Four Perfections instrumental on one side (credited to the Inferno Orchestra) and the Showstoppers on the other. We featured the Showstoppers side on Inferno in the August/September 2004 issue but technically this 45 must predate that so here it is again for your delight, appreciation and delectation. Neil Rushton (Inferno's owner) has an interesting article in the current issue of 'Soul Up North' incidently.

And talking of the Showstoppers-

SHOWSTOPPERS - PICK UP YOUR SMILE - BEACON BEA 182 -7"

Picking up interest at the moment is another Showstoppers 45, the flipside of "Actions Speak Louder Than Words" and the preferred side in that it has a skippy more Northern danceable quality. The vocals are mixed far too far back in the track though which is a shame because they are good - I think. It maybe when of those 45's that sounds better really loud though. I've never heard it out anywhere so I hesitate to commit myself fully but I suspect that if this was played as a rarity by a top name DJ then there are plenty who would take it on board..although in reality it's not that good. So lets file it under 'interesting'. UK recorded by that man Biddu again who certainly got around at this time !

Social source share

Picking up interest at the moment is another Showstoppers 45, the flipside of "Actions Speak Louder Than Words" and the preferred side in that it has a skippy more Northern danceable quality. The vocals are mixed far too far back in the track though which is a shame because they are good - I think. It maybe when of those 45's that sounds better really loud though. I've never heard it out anywhere so I hesitate to commit myself fully but I suspect that if this was played as a rarity by a top name DJ then there are plenty who would take it on board..although in reality it's not that good. So lets file it under 'interesting'. UK recorded by that man Biddu again who certainly got around at this time !

Certainly sounds great loud over a big system :shades:

Edited by richard
Social source share

Social source share

Hi all

Show Stoppers - Heartbreaker, is this UK only? and anyone got a current price please?

Thanks

I've had a copy, brand new, for £10, for about 4 months, so interest whatsoever. Obviously great but not wanted.

Social source share

• 15 years later...

found this on vacation down south US recently. The Show Stoppers – Gotta Get Closer To You My Love / Heartbreaker Showtime Records – ST-102 Frankford/Wayne stamped test pressing.  apparently Manship auctioned an identical copy and there is a labeled copy with a Partytime label.

R-20154304-1631062644-2661.jpeg.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I also have the test pressing of the Show Stoppers-heart breaker, showing the Showtime ST-102B release number on the label and the dead wax. Originally destined to be the second release after 'aint nothing but a house party' but never happening.                                                                                               The flip and A-side is 'got to get closer' making it a two-sided gem.  This A-side test pressing has a shorter title than the Inferno release from 1979.                                                                                       These fabulous sides are thoroughly overdue for some dance floor action.                                               BTW, checkout the other thread on the 'look at your box' forum:  Show Stoppers-Houseparty/What can a  man do.

Scan 26.jpeg

Scan 23.jpeg

• Up vote 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, neckender said:

I also have the test pressing of the Show Stoppers-heart breaker, showing the Showtime ST-102B release number on the label and the dead wax. Originally destined to be the second release after 'aint nothing but a house party' but never happening.                                                                                               The flip and A-side is 'got to get closer' making it a two-sided gem.  This A-side test pressing has a shorter title than the Inferno release from 1979.                                                                                       These fabulous sides are thoroughly overdue for some dance floor action.                                               BTW, checkout the other thread on the 'look at your box' forum:  Show Stoppers-Houseparty/What can a  man do.

Scan 26.jpeg

Scan 23.jpeg

Well, that's interesting. It looks like Showtime was going to issue Got To Get Closer/ Heartbreaker as a follow up to House Party but it only made it to test pressings. Beacon in the UK (and the other EU issues) must have preferred Shake Your Mini as an A side and used Heartbreaker as a B side. 

The single sided test pressings of Got To Get Closer that Irving Weinroth (owner of Showtime/Partytime) gave me in the 70s he might have had made at that time as Heartbreaker was already licensed to Beacon. I don't remember what he told me about Closer but I think he was just seeing if we were interested in issuing it in the UK on Cream. It came out on Inferno later as Cream had curdled by then.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!