Jean Plum "back To You"

Guest lotusland

Guest lotusland

Anybody got this or anything else from her except "Here I Go Again" which I already have. She has an LP as well on HI i think.

email at

tnoble777@yahoo.com

thnx, andy

Social source share

• Replies 34
  • Views 3.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Anybody got this or anything else from her except "Here I Go Again" which I already have. She has an LP as well on HI i think.

email at

tnoble777@yahoo.com

thnx, andy

This is the flip to the immortal "Look At The Boy" on US Hi & UK London.

Apart from "Here i Go Again" she also had "Pour On The Loving" as a 45 on Hi.

There was no vinyl LP at the time (mid 70's) although a Joint CD ame out a few years ago with Veniece "Bluesoul Belles Vol 3"

Tracks are:

• Look At The Boy
  • Here I Go Again
  • I Love Him
  • You Ask Me
  • I'm Gonna Stay
  • Are You Gonna Love Me?
  • Friends Fallin' In Love
  • Today I Sing The Blues
  • Ma (He's Making Eyes At Me)
  • Loneliness
  • Back To You
  • Pour On The Loving

A very worthwhile compilation.

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

This is the flip to the immortal "Look At The Boy" on US Hi & UK London.

Apart from "Here i Go Again" she also had "Pour On The Loving" as a 45 on Hi.

There was no vinyl LP at the time (mid 70's) although a Joint CD ame out a few years ago with Veniece "Bluesoul Belles Vol 3"

Tracks are:

• Look At The Boy
  • Here I Go Again
  • I Love Him
  • You Ask Me
  • I'm Gonna Stay
  • Are You Gonna Love Me?
  • Friends Fallin' In Love
  • Today I Sing The Blues
  • Ma (He's Making Eyes At Me)
  • Loneliness
  • Back To You
  • Pour On The Loving

A very worthwhile compilation.

Sean Hampsey

I was under the impression that Back To You only appeared on the UK release only Sean ?? Tell me i'm wrong !! BTY is big with the reggae / soul boys out in NY and alot of copies i've seen recently carry quite a price tag.

I have got a copy of the CD mentioned if thats any good - £6.00 + p&p.

Girf

Social source share

Just to add that if you like that sort of sound it's worth picking up a few cheapies from Quiet Elegance on Hi.

'Do you love me/ I'm afraid of losing you' is IMO one of the most underated soul records of it's type. There was also a cd by them which came out in about 1989 by Demon.

Best

Mark

Spot on - I've got the QE CD - and a couple of their 45s - but then I think we've discussed this before, haven't we Mark :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi girth,

Yeah I know I get a little carried away with the Hi stuff, but it drives me when I hear people talking about £1000 tunes and they don't even own Quiet elegance records or Dells/Dramatics ' Love is missing from our lives' etc. It would be interesting to make Djs play a set from a box of cheapies now and again, just to get some balance :thumbsup:

Social source share

Hi girth,

Yeah I know I get a little carried away with the Hi stuff, but it drives me when I hear people talking about £1000 tunes and they don't even own Quiet elegance records or Dells/Dramatics ' Love is missing from our lives' etc. It would be interesting to make Djs play a set from a box of cheapies now and again, just to get some balance :thumbsup:

That's why I love ANC so much - how many cheapies do we get thru there :unsure:

Girf

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

That's why I love ANC so much - how many cheapies do we get thru there :(

Girf

Hi records rules, plenty of great cheapies if you just sort out some of the more boring southern-funky crappy tunes on the label but these are sure shots:

George Jackson "patricia" "aretha sing one for me" "let them know you care"

Jean Plum ....all the named titels

Africano "satisfactorize your mind"

Majik "back into your heart"

Ann Peebles "mon belle amour"

Masqueraders "now that i've found you"

Ann Peebles "give me some credit"

Prince Phillip Mitchell "little things"

Otis Clay "jealousy" "the woman don't live here" "if i could reach out"

Erma Coffee "you made me what i am" / "anyway the wind blows"

Syl Johnson "anyway the wind blows"

Loooovely stuff :yes:

Social source share

Hi records rules, plenty of great cheapies if you just sort out some of the more boring southern-funky crappy tunes on the label but these are sure shots:

George Jackson "patricia" "aretha sing one for me" "let them know you care"

Jean Plum ....all the named titels

Africano "satisfactorize your mind"

Majik "back into your heart"

Ann Peebles "mon belle amour"

Masqueraders "now that i've found you"

Ann Peebles "give me some credit"

Prince Phillip Mitchell "little things"

Otis Clay "jealousy" "the woman don't live here" "if i could reach out"

Erma Coffee "you made me what i am" / "anyway the wind blows"

Syl Johnson "anyway the wind blows"

Loooovely stuff whistling.gif

Couple there I should check as I don't know em....Erma Coffee is my fave of the ones I do.

Girf

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Couple there I should check as I don't know em....Erma Coffee is my fave of the ones I do.

Girf

Erma Coffee is in to my ears one of the best double headed ballad 45s there is, just oozes emotion :yes:whistling.gif

The other day i saw an Oddyssey 45 on Hi, haven't heard that one can anyone tell me what style it is??

best

Leo

Social source share

email at

tnoble777@yahoo.com

thnx, andy

Fantastic artist - Jean Plum & Bettye Jean Plummer I think are the same artist ?

As for the Hi records (sub) thread - Outsatnding label - artists -production - label design - ... I could go on..... whistling.gif

ATB

Rich

Social source share

The great thing is most of the Hi catalogue has been re issued by Demon records. I've had a fantastic 6 volume Japanese vinyl set that I've had for near on 20years. On the subject of the Japanese fans, I think they should be given much more credit. When you think of the fantastic rare Lps such as Tommy Tate - Malaco album, Frankie Gearing, Eddie Giles- Alarm/Murco stuff, Clay Hammond etc.

Thanks guys whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

The great thing is most of the Hi catalogue has been re issued by Demon records. I've had a fantastic 6 volume Japanese vinyl set that I've had for near on 20years. On the subject of the Japanese fans, I think they should be given much more credit. When you think of the fantastic rare Lps such as Tommy Tate - Malaco album, Frankie Gearing, Eddie Giles- Alarm/Murco stuff, Clay Hammond etc.

Thanks guys :yes:

Agreed!!! For digging soul i pay respect to the jappies everyday, just ask Tadachika (i know you're reading Tad :D ) japanese soulies rule :Dwhistling.gif

best

Leo

Social source share

I was under the impression that Back To You only appeared on the UK release only Sean ?? Tell me i'm wrong !! BTY is big with the reggae / soul boys out in NY and alot of copies i've seen recently carry quite a price tag.

I have got a copy of the CD mentioned if thats any good - £6.00 + p&p.

Girf

Hi Gareth,

Try this.

Hi 2297 - Jean Plum : Look At The Boy / Back To You (1975)

Came out same sides on London and Hi mate.

whistling.gif

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Hi girth,

Yeah I know I get a little carried away with the Hi stuff, but it drives me when I hear people talking about £1000 tunes and they don't even own Quiet elegance records or Dells/Dramatics ' Love is missing from our lives' etc. It would be interesting to make Djs play a set from a box of cheapies now and again, just to get some balance whistling.gif

Hear hear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This reminds me of a Yarmouth story involving Sean Hampsey (who's posted to this thread - Hi Sean!)

Sean came to Yarmouth once thinking he wasn't DJing and subsequently had no tunes with him - Cosser tells him he's on at 10pm so Sean panicks and comes to visit me and my infamous £1 US 45's box, which he proceeded to pull out virtually a full sets worth and played them all in his set....................and it was brill!

Syl Johnson - We did it, springs to mind as one particular highlight!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Social source share

This reminds me of a Yarmouth story involving Sean Hampsey (who's posted to this thread - Hi Sean!)

Sean came to Yarmouth once thinking he wasn't DJing and subsequently had no tunes with him - Cosser tells him he's on at 10pm so Sean panicks and comes to visit me and my infamous £1 US 45's box, which he proceeded to pull out virtually a full sets worth and played them all in his set....................and it was brill!

Cheers

Steve Plumb

Hi Steve,

I think that says as much about the quality of your excellent £1 box than it does about the standard of my DJing... or does it?

whistling.gif

Looking forward to delivering more of the same next week and, as always, aiming to impress, particularly as the £1 tunes I acquired from that legendary box are now worth more than a fiver!

Joking apart, Syl Johnson was and is magnificent and as good a "Hi" record as you'll ever hear.

Acquired as a new release back in '73 and both sides are still in my all time top 20.... along with the immortal Bobby McClure "Hi" side "To Get What You Got" (while we're on the subject).

See you both (Steve & Gareth) at the seaside. Well up for it!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Cheers

Steve Plumb

PS

I Never (ever) panic.

Just get a little emotional, that's all.

Social source share

Yeah I always thought "BTY" was only on her UK London 45 as flip to "Look at the boy". I'd only ever seen or heard of "LATB" as double sided demos on US Hi. Though I seem to think Butch turned up a handful of "LATB" Hi issues a few years ago which he shifted at £40 a throw, when asked he couldnt recall what the flip was. So it was always sort of assumed that "BTY" would be on the flip of a US issue - so now we know cheers Colin.

Re Quiet Elegance yeah the double sider mentioned is very good indeed but the choice tune is "Love will make you feel better" on Hi 2263.

Gasp shock collector alert - on my Hi 2290 demo copy the label says "Love will make you feel better" but plays "Will you be my man".

Ah the wonderful world of vinyl,

derek

Oh and how can we talk about Hi without mentioning James Fry "Still around", Bobby McClure "Was it something I said" & the mighty Masqueraders "Now that Ive found you".

Social source share

email at

tnoble777@yahoo.com

thnx, andy

While we're talking "Hi" one that (almost) everyone missed Otis Clay 'Brand New Thing' a midtempo groover of the highest order and an early PITCHES fave. Soulfully on a par with "You Hurt Me For The Last Time" and the Hi Rhythm section too!

Social source share

Hi Sean

Just gave the Otis Clay a spin, great stuff. flicking through my records just thought of a few more. Willie Walker - reaching for the real thing, Known Facts - How can I believe in you - Pawn ( Hi recording)

And the excellent Al Williams - The Other side of my love- Crajon (Gene Bowlegs miller produced Hi Sounda like)

Social source share

Guest lotusland

Hi Sean

Just gave the Otis Clay a spin, great stuff. flicking through my records just thought of a few more. Willie Walker - reaching for the real thing, Known Facts - How can I believe in you - Pawn ( Hi recording)

And the excellent Al Williams - The Other side of my love- Crajon (Gene Bowlegs miller produced Hi Sounda like)

James Fry - Tumbling Down/Still Around

is the best HI 45. hands down.

after 23 replies nobody has offered me a Jean Plum yet!!

Social source share

James Fry - Tumbling Down/Still Around

is the best HI 45. hands down.

after 23 replies nobody has offered me a Jean Plum yet!!

Apologies, we all got carried away.

Best (most soulful) thread in ages!

If I've a spare (I may well have a spare issue) I'll get back to you!

Agree James Fry is a goodie... but the greatest Hi 45 is Bobby McClure "To Get What You Got". No...not just the greatest "Hi" record, but my favourite record of ALL TIME!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Apologies, we all got carried away.

Best (most soulful) thread in ages!

If I've a spare (I may well have a spare issue) I'll get back to you!

Agree James Fry is a goodie... but the greatest Hi 45 is Bobby McClure "To Get What You Got". No...not just the greatest "Hi" record, but my favourite record of ALL TIME!

Sean Hampsey

:thumbsup: Totally agree on the thread Sean. Has anyone got a clip of James Fry ? Got outbid on the 45 last year and still dont see it around much! :D

Two copies - UK - 1 issue 1 demo sold recently on ebay for 6 and 10 quid a piece. So a great 45 for a tenner ...

ATB

Rich

Social source share

I love the Hi label and it's associates. Many great records mentioned so far, particularly the Bobby McClure 45. The first time I heard this I just shook my head and smiled, as one would when faced with a great treasure. So fantastic you wonder why all records aren't this good: it's a masterpiece. I must also concur with Binsy over the Willie Walker: nothing earth-shattering on first hearing, but once you're hooked a side whose majesty reveals itself more with each play. Although it's quite some claim I've probably played this particular record more than any other over the last five years. Back to Jean Plum and has there ever been a more bittersweet love song than Here I Go Again, a truly exquisite piece of grown-up soul music. We must also not forget the momentous contribution to the label of Al Green, whilst celebrating the lesser known talents such as T99, Teacher's Edition, Erma Coffee, Jimmy Mack and a cast of thousands.

Social source share

Plumby, not Jean the _ _ _ _ job queen never mind Mr Hampsy's pound spot what about the night the BANDIT struck !!!

Oh aye, on a different level, the night the BANDIT struck was a truly awesome sight :D:shhh::D

...........and what's with the blatant plug for AA el bandido????

...........love yer 'Ricks Picks' by the way, nearly on a par with me £1 box :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Steve,

I think that says as much about the quality of your excellent £1 box than it does about the standard of my DJing... Sean Hampsey

Yeah you're right Sean, it does (hee hee)

The £1 box is sadly no more as inflation has pushed it up to 6 for £20 but it'll be out in force again next week.

Don't forget your tunes this time :thumbsup:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest LeoLyxxx

Oh and how can we talk about Hi without mentioning James Fry "Still around", Bobby McClure "Was it something I said" & the mighty Masqueraders "Now that Ive found you".

I did, Masqueraders was on my fave Hi list aswell earlier :thumbsup:

Also an Al Green 45 that many seemed to have missed is "glory glory" , very good :D

best

Leo

Social source share

Source Advert