Hello There. Can You Help?

new member here. nice to have found you.

can any of you people help me find out the name of a song? i heard it out the other night, had a belting female vocal. from what i can remember some of the words were 'you don't have to be a man to....' and it goes on to list some things you don't have to be a man to do. and there's definitely a line that says 'you don't have to be a king to sit on a throne'

it was really good so i'll be v happy if anyone knows what it is.

ben.

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

new member here. nice to have found you.

can any of you people help me find out the name of a song? i heard it out the other night, had a belting female vocal. from what i can remember some of the words were 'you don't have to be a man to....' and it goes on to list some things you don't have to be a man to do. and there's definitely a line that says 'you don't have to be a king to sit on a throne'

it was really good so i'll be v happy if anyone knows what it is.

ben.

Helene Smith - You Got To Be A Man - on Deep City & Phil-la-of Soul

1 min clip here > https://www.funk45.com/rm/smith,_helene_-_y...to_be_a_man.ram

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

i think the post above yours is a lot closer jason,can"t put my thumb on it at the moment though. :thumbsup::yes::D

Err, I divena...you lot seem to be automatically thinking 'northern', whereas I'm thinking Helene Smith :D

I mean, the Helene Smith does contain the line "You don't have to be a king to sit upon a throne" and mentions "you've got to be a man" a lot (not "'you don't have to be a man to" as was noted...it does mention "you don't have to be..." etc, a lot though) and is called 'You Got To Be A Man'. All we need is uncle ben to clarify either way and this one can be sewn up. :thumbsup:

Social source share

got to admit i was barking up the wrong tree,was thinking gloria lynn-tower of strength,now i have listened to it,and it does have at least one of the mentioned lyrics :thumbsup: i am wrong.won"t let you funksters win though,so its back to the drawing board. :thumbsup::yes::D

Social source share

goodness.... i didn't expect the spanish inquisition!

from the clip posted above i'm pretty sure the helene smith is the one. have ordered it from soul jazz so when i hear it properly i'll let you know for definite.

unfortunately i was a touch drunk on friday night and my memory is kind of hazy....can't guarantee whether she was singing 'don't have to be' or 'got to be' or what. will have another listen when i get in from work and see if it's any clearer.

thanks for all yr help btw

ben

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert