Dayo

• Replies 15
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Colin,

Saw Candi Staton about 10 years ago at an obscure gospel gig in Kensington, vocally great but she was going through a 'born again' period. Missed her at the Jazz Cafe last time and heard she was terrific, done a lot of Fame stuff.

Gigging this Sunday at Jazz Cafe in London, Sunday sold out (apart from Restaurant £40 whistling.gif

Tickets still available for Monday.

Mark

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

SAW HER AT JAZZ CAFE LAST YEAR...BLOODY BRILLIANT...MET HER AFTER AND TOLD HER MY FAVOURITE TRACK BY HER WAS 'FOR YOU'...THE B-SIDE OF 'I'D RATHER BE AN OLD MAN'S SWEETHEART'......SHE SAID SHE'D NOT SUNG IT FOR OVER THIRTY YEARS THEN BEGAN SINGING IT...WOW !!! WHAT A COOL LADY..STILL LOOKS GREAT TOO..

CHRIS M whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul
I'll second that. Just go and see her. whistling.gif I think she's doing the Jazz Cafe again this year
Bettye Lavette, Marlena Shawe & Terry Callier on there soon too....check B&S or Jazz Cafe website for dates
Social source share

Getting more and more fond of Candi Staton these days.

I was just wondering if anyone has seen her do a gig? I've never, but I'm guessing she'd be amazing....

Colin

I saw her live only last year.

Did all her later stuff (WB) but missed out on the FAME repertoire (sadly)

Still bloody wonderful though!

Social source share

Her new CD is supposed to be brilliant. I've not heard it myself so would be grateful for any reviews. "His Hands" (title track) is the killer track, apparantly. It's even got a rave review in the Daily Mirror today (not that necessarily means much lol!)

Social source share

Guest Budgie

According to Richard S on radio she is appering in that well known centre of soul known as St Helens on Sunday April 2.

At the Citidal i think.

All the best

Pete

Social source share

Got to say she's my current favourite artiste at the mo. If you haven't bought the latest compilation 'greatest hits' cd then do yourself a favour and buy it now, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant!!!!!! Even my colleague at work who's into Marianne Faithfull and Melanie thought it was one of the best cds he's ever heard.

Can't wait to see her at the Jazz Cafe. Who's goin'?

Social source share

Taken from yesterdays Daily Telegraph;

Candi Staton

His Hands

Honest Jon's, £12.99

Casual listeners may struggle to pin down Candi Staton, who surfaces rarely and in a variety of guises: as disco diva on her classic 1976 hit Young Hearts Run Free or gospel-tinged belter on the Source's repeat hit You Got the Love.

Long-standing fans know her as a peerless countrysoul artist - and after 20 years of problems, including alcohol and marital grief, she comes full circle from a long sojourn in church music with this heartfelt, soulful collection.

Staton mixes up a handful of her own songs - taken from episodes in her turbulent life - with some well-judged covers: the Solomon Burke staple Cry to Me and Merle Haggard's You Don't Have Very Far to Go.

But the real gem and emotional centrepiece is the searing title song. His Hands, written specifically for her by Will Oldham, traces the ups and downs of a physically abusive relationship, before unexpectedly arriving at a place of spiritual calm. It's chilling and electrifying, and Staton sings it like she's lived it, which clearly she has. The album is both a stunning return and a hard-won triumph.

David Gritten

Nick

Social source share

Both Sunday and Monday sold out apart from the restaurant
:yes:

Not 100% sure 'bout this but have heard that Jazz Cafe post up ''sold out'' and then sell some OTD ticket's due to some by-law or summut? If you're dead keen may be worth turning up on the night opening time and asking.
:lol:

Or just come and see her 7th April here in Amsterdam
:thumbsup:

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert