Play Lists, Are They A Good Thing?

I have been asked by a member of this fine forum [baz] and others in the past, if I would publish playlists from my Soul Salvation night. In my own humble opinion I think they are a bad thing. As I've never read one and thought, wow, I must go there. And at an upfront venue like mine, where there are so many little known tunes, and, wether you like em or not, cover up's played, I can't really see the point. Just imagine Butch's play list at Lifeline, c/up c/up c/up etc. And I've also found that most dj's can't be bothered to let you have a playlist after the event. For what ever reason, too drunk, high, can't remember.

That's just my humble opinion, but I'd love to hear your views. Maybe you can change my mind. So good thing or not?

Good thing. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

• Replies 150
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Good post Baz :huh:

The other point is if the DJ's/ Promoters went a bit further afield they might find that some of the records they regard as lesser known are actually bigger sounds than they think.

As this seems to have turned into a thread about Peterborough rather than playlists, I would just like to point out that not every well attended soul night in Peterborough plays the top 100! thumbsup.gif

Dave me and you go back a long way, Ive served my time as you have however I just now want to go out have a few beers, dance for 30secs of 2-30 sec tune, chat to mates about old times and if I get the chance play stuff which makes people dance and to cap the evening off get paid for which incidentally I donated mine from last Friday to a charity that is close to a departed friends heart up in the potteries.

I just love it when those that attend a soul night whether it be Bourne, Boston, Carlisle or Peterborough get there moneys worth rather than having some pretentious numpty playing stuff you get piles to.

If Peterborough has a flourishing 'new' scene then I am genuinely chuffed for those that promote, jock and participate, however don't knock those that once every two months need a night out listening to The VanDykes rather than The latest one off Butch Cover Up, it takes all sorts matey. My point has always been its the crowd you got in that should always dictate the Dj's playlist, If i was asked to have a pop at one of your dues do you really think I would sort out a Post Office/Railway type set?

cya

Edited by PaulDonely
Social source share

Dave me and you go back a long way, Ive served my time as you have however I just now want to go out have a few beers, dance for 30secs of 2-30 sec tune, chat to mates about old times and if I get the chance play stuff which makes people dance and to cap the evening off get paid for which incidentally I donated mine from last Friday to a charity that is close to a departed friends heart up in the potteries.

I just love it when those that attend a soul night whether it be Bourne, Boston, Carlisle or Peterborough get there moneys worth rather than having some pretentious numpty playing stuff you get piles to.

If Peterborough has a flourishing 'new' scene then I am genuinely chuffed for those that promote, jock and participate, however don't knock those that once every two months need a night out listening to The VanDykes rather than The latest one off Butch Cover Up, it takes all sorts matey. My point has always been its the crowd you got in that should always dictate the Dj's playlist, If i was asked to have a pop at one of your dues do you really think I would sort out a Post Office/Railway type set?

cya

Paul, you're right mate.. we do go back a long way.

I wasn't meaning to "knock" anybody, least of all you. I know you've a bigger variety of records than see's the light of day at the venues you mentioned. :huh:

I also know that most of those that go there have a bloody good time.

I did, however, agree with Baz's point that if the DJ's don't drop a few different ones in from time to time, how do they know the crowd wouldn't accept em?

As an illustration, about 18 months ago I was making a nuisance of myself looking through the box of a mate of yours while he was playing. I found a copy of Johnny Howard in there and I asked him to spin it .... as he wouldn't sell me it. :lol:

It went down well but he hadn't realised it had become a big record again.

If you fancy playing a few of your less well known records at a future Limit event, I'll have a word with Jules and get back to you :lol:

Best, Dave.

P.S. I ain't gonna be drawn on the "pretentious numpty" bit!! thumbsup.gif:lol:

Edited by Dave
Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

going round in circles are we lolol ... playlists , post them if you like, i've posted mine and stand by the tunes i play whether other people like them or not ...

quinvy , you've banged on about your venue being upfront and cutting edge etc that you maybe NEED to post a playlist thumbsup.gif

Social source share

going round in circles are we lolol ... playlists , post them if you like, i've posted mine and stand by the tunes i play whether other people like them or not ...

quinvy , you've banged on about your venue being upfront and cutting edge etc that you maybe NEED to post a playlist :huh:

This is a very good point and imo some of the other points in this thread are valid too. The overly aggressive "upfront/underground/not the same old/patronising the "oldies brigade"/something completely different/ is all a bit too in 'yer face for a lot of folks. I know it is for me. I find it all a bit pretentious and to be honest condescending. Am I the only one? I doubt it speaking to a lot of Mates. Tell you what though....If your gonna sell a venue in that manner, then the playlists after such a build up better have their ducks in a row eh? Some great collections/collectors in that particular neck of the woods.

As for playlists, I like reading 'em. Gives me heads up on stuff I don't know, reminds me of stuff I've forgotten, and I appreciate that. Keep 'em coming! thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Social source share

This is a very good point and imo some of the other points in this thread are valid too. The overly aggressive "upfront/underground/not the same old/patronising the "oldies brigade"/something completely different/ is all a bit too in 'yer face for a lot of folks. I know it is for me. I find it all a bit pretentious and to be honest condescending. Am I the only one? I doubt it speaking to a lot of Mates. Tell you what though....If your gonna sell a venue in that manner, then the playlists after such a build up better have their ducks in a row eh? Some great collections/collectors in that particular neck of the woods.

As for playlists, I like reading 'em. Gives me heads up on stuff I don't know, reminds me of stuff I've forgotten, and I appreciate that. Keep 'em coming! thumbsup.gif

Regards,

Dave

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

Dave,

Thanks for reminding me about the Star Treks on your reviews on your site. Wow, managed to get it now, but how has this gone underplayed for this long?

For the uninitiated, Dave's Hitsville site has some fantastic reviews, complete with sound files, plus a juke box!

Play lists. I love just seeing the titles and labels. Is that sad?

Social source share

Wonderd how long it would take thumbsup.gif

Edited by Baz
Social source share

Guest Rowly

i find it all a bit clinical and organised myself ...... and i'm rarely sober enough to remember what i've played and in what order.

what did everyone do before internet playlists?

i also find it a little bizarre when i see posts that say "we play this" ... they list loads of tracks. do they work it all out in advance? i like to play as the mood and/or dancefloor takes me ..... and i'd like DJ's i pay to hear to do the same.

As someone guilty of posting their playlists.... :huh:

Got to be a good thing surely? Lets people know what sort of stuff they can expect to hear from you - and / or a club.

With you Dave on the advance playlist posting... Never been able to understand it! How the hell can you know in advance what the crowd is gonna be like - what the vibe of the night is.... or wether some one else is gonna play something you were planning on spinning? Yes you have certain tunes that you're pretty sure you will play if all goes as it should.... the rest you make up as you go along depending on the variables I've already mentioned. thumbsup.gif

Social source share

quinvy , you've banged on about your venue being upfront and cutting edge etc that you maybe NEED to post a playlist :lol:

Yes!!and a few sound files would be nice, :lol: all your cover-ups would be even better :huh: ,give us about 3mins,me & soul/source will have em` all uncovered :lol: ,by God i`ve posted a few.........let somebody else take a bit of flakc for once thumbsup.gif come on Quinvy we all like a laugh.......... :lol:

:lol:

Social source share

Yes!!and a few sound files would be nice, :lol: all your cover-ups would be even better :huh: ,give us about 3mins,me & soul/source will have em` all uncovered :D ,by God i`ve posted a few.........let somebody else take a bit of flakc for once thumbsup.gif come on Quinvy we all like a laugh.......... :lol:

:lol:

Here you are Ken try that one out......Give you three minuits and counting :lol:

Betty_wilson_cup.mp3

Might not be everys ones taste, dont even know if i would play it out :lol:

Social source share

Here you are Ken try that one out......Give you three minuits and counting :lol:

Betty_wilson_cup.mp3

Might not be everys ones taste, dont even know if i would play it out :lol:

I said me and soul/source :lol: ,over too you soucer`s :huh: ,

nice though Baz thumbsup.gif

Social source share

here is a copy of my first playlist from the night i djed at the vista in spalding , no record on there cost me more than £60 most alot less , i dont have boxes of classic records to choose from , i just played what i liked and hope that others would enjoy them aswell.

if your saw this playlist and i was djing near you would it put you off as its not all well known tunes or all big money unknowns , i still have most of these but have traded the earl grant lou roberts and vernon garrett to get some other tunes

7 day lover - raymond smith ix chains (version of james fountain)

love love love - bobby hebb phillips

one in a million - ovations - mgm records

baby i'm coming home - mack rice lupine

i must be doing something right - irene reid - pilgrim records

my little red book - tony middleton - london

who walks in when i walk out that door - roscoe sheldon - sound stage 7

lookie lookie (version of the yum yums)-the kittens - abc

dont send nobody else - dynamic superiors lp track

have more time - marvin smith brunswick

girl accross the street - moses smith -dionn

aint nothing for a man in love - archie bell 7 the drells - glades

seven days - the bel-aires brut records

music to my heart - patti austin abc

follow the sun - chico holliday - meadowbrook

we can do some business - the charles iv - smash

cracked up over you - danny white - decca

hide nor hair - earl grant - decca

tell it to your mother - herb ryals - jubilee

i dont want a play boy - barbara lynn - tribe

i dont know what foot to dance on - kim tolliver - castro

it aint what you got - jimmy hughes - atlantic

two loves have i - joe turner phillips(french release)

heartaches was all i got - sven zetterberg - buzz

if i could turn back the hands of time - vernon garrett - modern records

because i love him - patti williams - sunflower

this is my story - rev george morton - hi-Q

shalimars - stop and take a look at yourself - verve

ten to one - lou roberts - mgm

the man that said no - bettye swann money records

i played some of these records when i did a set at the railway club in peterborough in the back room at the sunday soul feature , during one of them i had tony clayton come over the decks and see what a tune was , it was the barbara lynn one , he said that he didnt recognise this and had never seen the label it was on. this was a shock for me as he has been djing / collecting for ages and how could i have a record that he didnt know , id had this 45 almost since i started collecting so to me this was an oldie but to him this was the first time he had heard it.

playlists are often useful if you went to a venue and heard something you didnt know or forgot what it was , try finding a pen and paper at an event when you need to record what the tune was , by the time you have and then gone to the dj to get him to right it down or ask him after his set what that tune was " you know the one that went ............. you played after the one that went lllaaaaa lllaaaaa llaaaaa etc

I have turned to peopple on several occasions and asked what a certain tune is and got the reply , you must know this its been played for ages , was played at the so and so etc , well not everyone was at every venue so one persons classic oldie can be anothers totally unknown

also playlists can show what tunes are getting played more in different parts of the country as what is big in the midlands can be unknown in the south or north and encourage people to listen to tunes that they wouldnt normally take an interest in

if people post playlists and you dont like reading then dont but i find it useful

dave

Social source share

i find it all a bit clinical and organised myself ...... and i'm rarely sober enough to remember what i've played and in what order.

what did everyone do before internet playlists?

i also find it a little bizarre when i see posts that say "we play this" ... they list loads of tracks. do they work it all out in advance? i like to play as the mood and/or dancefloor takes me ..... and i'd like DJ's i pay to hear to do the same.

I think it's different if you're a club resident like yourself - obviously you have to go with the mood / counter-balance a guest, fill emptied dancefloors etc. and therefore playlists would make no sense.

I think for guest spots, people tend to know pretty much what they're gonna play because it'll be their most impressive stuff. You'd hope so anyway!

I put playlists up for our new night cos no-one barely even knew we existed so it showed that we weren't just jokers with CDs or boots - and I think it worked in gaining us a bit of respect as a club worth making the effort for (if you're into that sort of stuff!). Once you're established I think there's less need for them though.

They would definitrely influence my decision to go to a night though - there may be only a couple I know on the list - but if those two are my sort of thing I'll have more faith that the rest will be.

I love loads of records played on the scene, but not being a 100% souly, I have to pick and chose do's quite carefully that play my kind of stuff, cos when they don't, I have to say it doesn't do a lot for me.

Social source share

Some good points well put there Mike. But do you think that the oldies brigade would check out your playlist before attending, or not, I mean on a website?

Have you ever had anyone attend your night, that said they had come, because they read your playlists?

Phil.

Social source share

here is a copy of my first playlist from the night i djed at the vista in spalding , no record on there cost me more than £60 most alot less , i dont have boxes of classic records to choose from , i just played what i liked and hope that others would enjoy them aswell.

if your saw this playlist and i was djing near you would it put you off as its not all well known tunes or all big money unknowns , i still have most of these but have traded the earl grant lou roberts and vernon garrett to get some other tunes

-----------------------------

Dave sorry for cutting off your playlist to reply just did it to save room! In answer to your question no nothing you played there would put me off - to me it includes a real mixture of what I would term oldies - Earl Grant - underplayed oldies - Kittens and Marvin Smith and 'newies' - George Morton just using four as an example.

Its not the cost its what they sound like - I thought it was a nice set :thumbsup:

Keep playing them!

Cheers

Mike

Social source share

Tes i,m one of the guilty ones that puts his playlists up on the plus side it has got me some more dj bookins it mite have cost me some but thats one thing i will never know so its a BIG YES FROM ME :thumbsup:

HB :wicked:

Social source share

Agree with you there Dave

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Baz - is that Azie Mortimer?

Quinvy - I can't help wondering why after all this you don't just publish and be damned. Never has a playlist been so eagerly awaited :thumbsup:

Interested to know what exactly constitutes upfront anyway? Absolutely no oldies at all, or a percentage? Or just nowt from the top 100? ...

Social source share

:thumbsup: Keep trying :wicked: .......having been in contact with some one i know who has it, and they have played it out under, Celest Hardy - you broke my heart and soul, so its not Betty Wilson anymore.

Social source share

Interested to know what exactly constitutes upfront anyway? Absolutely no oldies at all, or a percentage? Or just nowt from the top 100? ...

add at least another nought to the 100 whistling.gif:wicked: can be misleading title or description really

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

The only problem with JT's C/U's is that everyone knows them!!! :wicked::lol:

Hope you had a nice holiday, mate.

See you soon.

Jamie whistling.gif

Well let me know what they are then mate, because most of them I don't have a clue as they are 'unknown artists'. :huh: I think I've posted a few of them in the choice cuts section so it shouldn't be too hard for "everybody" to tell me what they are as I am presumably the only person who doesn't know? :lol:

Holiday was good thanks, got a nice tan but a sore arse from too much bare back horse riding. blush.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Presumably the term "outback" could be used as the antithisis of "upfront"? whistling.gif

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

Guest Stuart T

I wonder whether the term "outback" would be much use as the antithisis of "upfront"? :wicked:

:huh: Maybe its "downrear"? blush.gif I hope your arse gets better anyway, horses you say? whistling.gif

Nowt from the Top 100? Top 500 at least. And I'm only stopping there because there isn't a point of reference unless Kev does a longer book next time.

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

seeing records like that on a playlist, as good as they may be would put me off going to a venue unfortunately. Heard them a million times and no wish to hear them out anymore.

that is exactly why I chose them as examples Chalky

blush.gif Maybe its "downrear"? :wicked: I hope your arse gets better anyway, horses you say? whistling.gif

Nowt from the Top 100? Top 500 at least. And I'm only stopping there because there isn't a point of reference unless Kev does a longer book next time.

Can I be quoted

Mikey from South Wales "Do I know it? How does it go again?"

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

You're too quick to credit that Top 500 book.

There are surely tracks listed there that many people going out these days have never heard.

Just had a quick flick and I am fairly confident that I have never heard The Mylestones - Sexy lady (incidentally 2 places higher than Gene Toones - which can't really qualify as a played out oldie surely)

And I don't recall hearing Roger Collins - You sexy sugar plum (One place above Don Gardner - Cheatin kind - which obviously gets played to death everywhere cos you can pick it up for £2.50) whistling.gif

Not saying I'd want to hear those tunes mind you...

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Roger Collins was played with the regularity of a premiership footballer diving, when I were a lad. I have to agree tho. it must be 20 years since i heard it. (20 more please)

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

You're too quick to credit that Top 500 book.

There are surely tracks listed there that many people going out these days have never heard.

Just had a quick flick and I am fairly confident that I have never heard The Mylestones - Sexy lady (incidentally 2 places higher than Gene Toones - which can't really qualify as a played out oldie surely)

And I don't recall hearing Roger Collins - You sexy sugar plum (One place above Don Gardner - Cheatin kind - which obviously gets played to death everywhere cos you can pick it up for £2.50) blush.gif

Not saying I'd want to hear those tunes mind you...

It wasn't credit. :huh:

Fair comment, though I do think GT and DG are played out oldies. whistling.gif Didn't you hear about DG turning up in quantity anyway? :wicked: I haven't looked in that book since it came out so have no idea what is in it anymore, just a hazy and prejudiced half remembered impression.

Social source share

Can't see what all the fuss is about, and personally could care less. But the thing is Phil (Quinvy) have you forgotten you have already had a playlist in your post on an earlier Soul Salvation ?

Edited by Brett
Social source share

Playlists are a handy reference for after an event when you`ve heard a tune asked what it was and then forgotten what they told you except a vague memory.

Yet again a topic has degenerated into a slag fest about oldies.

We are all entitled to our likes, dislikes and opinions but the intolerance gets worse.

The northern/rare soul scene - all for one and f*** you if you don`t like what I like

Social source share

Playlists are a handy reference for after an event when you`ve heard a tune asked what it was and then forgotten what they told you except a vague memory.

We are all entitled to our likes, dislikes and opinions but the intolerance gets worse.

The northern/rare soul scene - all for one and f*** you if you don`t like what I like

How is it a "slagfest"?

And why just about oldies?

I haven't read back, but I seem to remember you and Winston sharing a cosy giggle about "chin strokers" whistling.gif

Social source share

What about poor old me?

I like Oldies, Newies, 60s, 70s, Crossover, R&B, Funk, Latin and seem to be stuck in the middle of a gripe-fest.

Can I join you Mr Dog although I will pass on the 70's and X over whistling.gif

Social source share

Wonderd how long it would take...........I dont remember any where the 'slagging off' of oldies, It was a discussion about playlists and the words upfront come into it and every one thinks its knocking 'oldies' blush.gif seem to remember it was actually some one stating the fact about chin strokers first :wicked: so dont come all the 'oldies getting a slagging again' whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

How is it a "slagfest"?

And why just about oldies?

I haven't read back, but I seem to remember you and Winston sharing a cosy giggle about "chin strokers" whistling.gif

To paraphrase someone else, those will be the awfully aggressive pretentious and arrogant newies fans will they? Dreadful, utterly frightful people. :wicked:

Social source share

What about poor old me?

I like Oldies, Newies, 60s, 70s, Crossover, R&B, Funk, Latin and seem to be stuck in the middle of a gripe-fest.

Is that a typo? Do you mean tripe-fest? whistling.gif

And don't be so intolerant of those that can't tolerate other's intolerances :wicked:

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

What about poor old me?

Poor doggy, I have called the RSPCA. I like all of them too but have been having far too much fun to admit it. whistling.gif

Social source share

Dont you think this place would be a bit boring if every one agreed.............example

Here you lot do you like this........

Oh yes Baz its great.................Topic colsed thumbsup.gif

or we could have........"no its a load of shite wouldnt want that played at any nights i got to" and so on the ball starts rolling, a brief atempt but hope you get my drift :wicked:

Social source share

Dont you think this place would be a bit boring if every one agreed.............example

Here you lot do you like this........

Oh yes Baz its great.................Topic colsed thumbsup.gif

or we could have........"no its a load of shite wouldnt want that played at any nights i got to" and so on the ball starts rolling, a brief atempt but hope you get my drift :wicked:

Totally agree there Baz.

Bad news sells.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

It wasn't credit. :lol:

Fair comment, though I do think GT and DG are played out oldies. thumbsup.gif Didn't you hear about DG turning up in quantity anyway? :huh: I haven't looked in that book since it came out so have no idea what is in it anymore, just a hazy and prejudiced half remembered impression.

Always thought it was a good book.

However I just flicked through it again and I take it back, it describes The Jam as "A UK Mod revival band" :wicked:ph34r.gif:lol:

Social source share

Always thought it was a good book.

However I just flicked through it again and I take it back, it describes The Jam as "A UK Mod revival band" thumbsup.gifph34r.gif:lol:

Pretty bad that :huh: i would be well fukced off,if i was punk rokc band like the Jam........ :wicked: never been mods,& never will be................ :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert