• Replies 150
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Andy BB

Is it just the preserve of the upfront supporters or can oldies fans be chin-strokers?

Actually it would probably need to be pluralised wouldn't it?

Social source share

Well i vote we break up into three teams, oldies, newies and the middle of the road team (would class my self in that) and beat the living sh*t out of each other thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Well i vote we break up into three teams, oldies, newies and the middle of the road team (would class my self in that) and beat the living sh*t out of each other thumbsup.gif

in Gladiators style:

Oldies fans come into the arena to Alice Clark - You Hit me

Newies fans Come out to anything it doesnt matter it will be covered up and as rare as it is dull

Middle of the road come out to chirpy chirpy cheep cheep

Contest will be refereed by Jimmy Hill and David Badiel (chinny reck-on)

:wicked:

Edited by in town Mikey
Social source share

in Gladiators style:

Oldies fans come into the arena to Alice Clark - You Hit me

Newies fans Come out to anything it doesnt matter it will be covered up and as rare as it is dull

Middle of the road come out to chirpy chirpy cheep cheep

Contest will be refereed by Jimmy Hill and David Badiel (chinny reck-on)

:D

Being of the female gender and being able to multi-task can i be in two groups then?.... do we also have to wear the dodgy lycra costumes, like they did on the telly?, plus can we have names like they did too? :rolleyes::D

Gladiators are you ready?? Challengers are you ready?? :D

Social source share

Guest johnm

Playlists are a handy reference for after an event when you`ve heard a tune asked what it was and then forgotten what they told you except a vague memory.

I agree after an event it's good to know what that tune was that you hadn't heard before.

Being 'new' to the music there are lots I don't recognise so for me they are handy.......

Social source share

From both 'sides'... :rolleyes:

===================

Have to be careful what I say, as I don't want to be accused of being argumentative :D Oh bollox to it :D

Thing is it's not generally from both sides, usually it's the views come from the 'upfront brigade', who are determined to educate. Most oldies fans can't be bothered to take part in these debates, cos they get shot down by the same people all the time. And most of the posts start with "I still like oldies but....." and then go on to extol the virtues of newies/upfront. If it is about opinions, which in my view it is, then both sides are allowed to voice one. The only reason they degenerate into battles, IMO, is the upfront crowd are so certain of themselves. I've seen things like playlists tell me it's a played out oldies venue, I still feel this is disrespectful, and mocks the vast majority of people who are currently on the scene.

Stuart's right I did smile at the comment made by fenman, although hardly a cosy giggle/laugh (can't remember exactly) but he also knows I was a regular at the Dome which was considered very upfront. The 100 club the same. Can't comment properly on lifeline, because I haven't been to enough of them, but have enjoyed the ones I've been too. What I don't like is the elitist attitude that constantly comes across, and once again this is why these posts degenerate into newies/oldies battles of a sort.

Perhaps it's time for the newies/upfront brigade to stop alienating potential customers with their santimonious condescending views and talk in softer tones. Yeah your upfront, yeah you like rarities, yeah some of them are good, now get over yourselves, and stop dividing the scene!!

Winnie:-)

PS. Hope Rach's original point was accurate and we are allowed to give veiws from, "From both sides" :D

Social source share

Reading through this thread it seems most are interested in seeing a playlist.

If you are unwilling to post a playlist, you've something to hide. Crap records/taste for instance.

Wouldnt say crap records? The only thing is you can post a playlist of all the most overplayed oldies, ok i would think nope not for me i wont be going to that do.......but on the night the floor was proberly rammed, you can say the same for a playlist with lesser knowns in there, looks good in writing but did it do the trick on the night? Over all i would say there a good thing

POST YOUR PLAYLISTSOR BE CAST TO ETERNAL DAMNATION :rolleyes:

Social source share

Reading through this thread it seems most are interested in seeing a playlist.

If you are unwilling to post a playlist, you've something to hide. Crap records/taste for instance.

Hows that work Mr Sims?,i`ve posted a couple of lists.............i`ve got crap records/and even worser taste :rolleyes:

Edited by ken
Social source share

Hows that work Mr Sims?,i`ve posted a couple of lists.............i`ve got crap records/and even worser tast :rolleyes:

Regardless of your taste or records, you had no hesitation in posting a playlist which proves confidence in your set.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

It's like the Bigendians v the Littleendians!

None of you could survive without the other group and it's all subjective, even if you could find an objective empirical point to debate it would never work. So stop sulking you sulking sulkers.

Trust the taste of the upfronters, they do a valuable job. They wade through a lot of crap and dismiss it before it gets to the middlegroundgroup, the middlegroundgroup then find copies and play it a lot and then it filters down to the oldies brigade - they in turn fork out big bucks for the records that the upfronters found and are now ready to sell on cos they've been played too much, this cash injection allows the upfronters to filter through a load more records before the process starts all over again. Quite possibly. (There is of course another group who contribute nothing to this economic theory but the less said about them the better :rolleyes: )

Anyway

SHOW US THE PLAYLIST!

Social source share

can we stick to the original question please.

Shane

ps. not just you winnie.

============

Soz Shane, was responding to other points made earlier. On the original point..... is it playlists or the DJs names that influence us. Playlists after the event only tells you what was played on that particular night. Where knowing the rep of a DJ, through constant good performances might be a better yardstick?

Winnie:-)

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

can we forget newies/oldies and stick to the importance of play-lists please.

its ok going off-topic a little to emphasise your point but some recent posts have zero reference to the original question.

cheers

Shane

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Reading back throught the posts. Until somebody said it was an oldies v newies squabble, there doesnt seem to be any divide at all to me. Just a few people making a point or two for or against.

I still dont think that by default all newies fans want lists posted and oldies fans dont.

Mike the confused.

Social source share

Regardless of your taste or records, you had no hesitation in posting a playlist which proves confidence in your set.

Wrong :D i just dont give a wanker.gif ....................... :D

Social source share

Reading back throught the posts.

You didn't per chance see a playlist from Quinvy whilst you were there did you? Think he's still yet to post. Also think (apart from a couple of don't care'ers) he's the only person who doesn't want to see playlists posted after a do.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Punter approaches club door..

Punter: Hello, what kind of music you playing?

Promoter: You wouldn't know it.

Punter: I might...

Promoter: No, it's rare.

Punter: Oh right yeah, like what?

Promoter: Underground stuff

Punter: Yeah I gathered. Can you give me some examples

Promoter: No

Punter: Why not

Promoter: Don't want to

Punter: Oh come on, how am I supposed to know if I want to come in

Promoter: Well, do you like rare stuff?

Punter: Like what?

Promoter: You wouldn't know it

TAXI!

Social source share

TAXI!

:D:D

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

TAXI!

good way of putting it andy :D

with me being a whipper-snapper on the scene, can anyone tell me if play-lists were common practice 'back in the day'?

were they published in fanzines etc?

cheers

Shane

Social source share

TAXI!

Haha...love it andy..... not too busy at work then?

Social source share

good way of putting it andy :D

with me being a whipper-snapper on the scene, can anyone tell me if play-lists were common practice 'back in the day'?

were they published in fanzines etc?

cheers

Shane

Black Echoes used to print playlists Shane.

Social source share

I think Betty Lavette is Joan Baker on Diamond

It is.

Tempos - Debonaires on Soul Click

Honey & Bees - Tina Roberts on Security

Sammy Campbell - Out A Sights on Saru (Rest Of My Life)

Don Ray - Monorays on 20th Century

Fabulous Impacts - Moments on Hog. At that time only the un-credited studio acetate existed, no issues known of.

Social source share

It is.

Tempos - Debonaires on Soul Click

Honey & Bees - Tina Roberts on Security

Sammy Campbell - Out A Sights on Saru (Rest Of My Life)

Don Ray - Monorays on 20th Century

Fabulous Impacts - Moments on Hog. At that time only the un-credited studio acetate existed, no issues known of.

Cheers mate see you at P.

Social source share

They're nice to read through.... to try and get a flavour of the night.... but, as said previously, they can't relate to the night itself with floor action, busyness, general feeling, etc., no matter what type of upfront/outback/inside/outside/oldies/newies/new but old/old but new format is played :D ....

Anyway.... have personally tried to gather playlists with a view to putting them up here later.... think I've managed it 2-3 times over the last couple of years :D .... seem to lose them/leave them somewhere when on the way home :D .... think the last time I managed it was when Jo Wallace appeared back in January....

As a bit of an aside (I think :D ) although in line with playlists, it gripes me when the lesser known or underplayed type tune that gets playlisted by a "unknown" often gets overlooked/scan read (unless of course your in the "know of it" clan).... but when it's playlisted or picked up on by a "known" sometime later, it then gains interest to be heard/searched out and so becomes tomorrows "played out" tune.... mmmm, BUT who then gets the limelight :P .... not the "unknown", they just then get noticed for playing it and deemed to have bought the latest "en vogue" tune to play out :P .... seen this happen a fair bit.... maybe a seperate topic for a future thread....

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert