Play Lists, Are They A Good Thing?

I have been asked by a member of this fine forum [baz] and others in the past, if I would publish playlists from my Soul Salvation night. In my own humble opinion I think they are a bad thing. As I've never read one and thought, wow, I must go there. And at an upfront venue like mine, where there are so many little known tunes, and, wether you like em or not, cover up's played, I can't really see the point. Just imagine Butch's play list at Lifeline, c/up c/up c/up etc. And I've also found that most dj's can't be bothered to let you have a playlist after the event. For what ever reason, too drunk, high, can't remember.

That's just my humble opinion, but I'd love to hear your views. Maybe you can change my mind. So good thing or not?

Social source share

• Replies 150
  • Views 8.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

We always put them up on our website after an event www.eastangliasoul.co.uk and often give an idea of the sort of stuff future guests will play - the reason being that the area where we run our nights is a bastion of the oldies brigade, and our aim is to try to play something different from the same old same old - in theory it works two ways - lovers of the sounds they heard at the youth club are forewarned and people who want something different know they can get it with us....

But do agree that with the likes of Butch c/u c/u c/u doesn't really take you anywhere....

I like playlists in the sense that it gives me a clue as to what I could expect at a club I didn't know that well.....also as a DJ I find it interesting to see what other people are spinning and the type of sets they are putting together (when they are sober enough to remember of course :shades: )

So for me playlists get the :shades:

Cheers

Mike Bolderson

Social source share

cool.gif -->

QUOTE(Mike B @ Mar 6 2006, 01:04 AM) link
We always put them up on our website after an event www.eastangliasoul.co.uk and often give an idea of the sort of stuff future guests will play - the reason being that the area where we run our nights is a bastion of the oldies brigade, and our aim is to try to play something different from the same old same old - in theory it works two ways - lovers of the sounds they heard at the youth club are forewarned and people who want something different know they can get it with us....

But do agree that with the likes of Butch c/u c/u c/u doesn't really take you anywhere....

I like playlists in the sense that it gives me a clue as to what I could expect at a club I didn't know that well.....also as a DJ I find it interesting to see what other people are spinning and the type of sets they are putting together (when they are sober enough to remember of course :shades: )

Cheers

Mike Bolderson

Some good points well put there Mike. But do you think that the oldies brigade would check out your playlist before attending, or not, I mean on a website?

Have you ever had anyone attend your night, that said they had come, because they read your playlists?

Phil.

Social source share

I have been asked by a member of this fine forum [baz] and others in the past, if I would publish playlists from my Soul Salvation night. In my own humble opinion I think they are a bad thing. As I've never read one and thought, wow, I must go there. And at an upfront venue like mine, where there are so many little known tunes, and, wether you like em or not, cover up's played, I can't really see the point. Just imagine Butch's play list at Lifeline, c/up c/up c/up etc. And I've also found that most dj's can't be bothered to let you have a playlist after the event. For what ever reason, too drunk, high, can't remember.

That's just my humble opinion, but I'd love to hear your views. Maybe you can change my mind. So good thing or not?

What? How can they be a bad thing? At worst, people will be indifferent. :)

And does Butch post on here anyway? :shades:

And does he play at your night? :shades:

Am I missing your point? :lol:

Social source share

What? How can they be a bad thing? At worst, people will be indifferent. :)

And does Butch post on here anyway? :shades:

And does he play at your night? :shades:

Am I missing your point? :lol:

Yep, I'd say you missed the point by a mile. Just using the Butch analogy as an example. Not to be taken literally. Quite a lot of c/up's played at my do that's all. Would you travel to a venue on the strength of a playlist? Or, on the other hand, would a playlist put you off attending a do?

I have been put off by playlists myself. Better to just go and make your own mind up. I sometimes think that people are saying, oo look what I've got in my play box. Ego trip maybe?

That's why I was asking for reasoned opinions.

Phil.

Social source share

I would say they are definitely a good thing.

And YES i would travel to go to a venue if they played the kind of stuff i liked ..... and NO i wouldn't if they didn't.

Can't see how posting a playlist can be a bad thing ..... i love reading play lists ..... so a big :shades: from me

Social source share

And YES i would travel to go to a venue if they played the kind of stuff i liked ..... and NO i wouldn't if they didn't.

Can't see how posting a playlist can be a bad thing ..... i love reading play lists ..... so a big :shades: from me

Hiya chuck are you still up, hope you had a good un last night. Missed you at mine. Thanks for the answer to my post. Concise and to the point. :shades:

Phil xx

Social source share

Yep, I'd say you missed the point by a mile. Just using the Butch analogy as an example. Not to be taken literally. Quite a lot of c/up's played at my do that's all. Would you travel to a venue on the strength of a playlist? Or, on the other hand, would a playlist put you off attending a do?

I have been put off by playlists myself. Better to just go and make your own mind up. I sometimes think that people are saying, oo look what I've got in my play box. Ego trip maybe?

That's why I was asking for reasoned opinions.

Phil.

Well there ya go ... missed the point again! Story of my life! :shades:

So you mean the "Butch analogy" was irrelevant do you? OK! :shades:

Yes I would, and have, travelled to venues on the strength of a playlist. That is one of the the major influences, along with DJ's/collectors present and the input from people whose opinion I value.

And yes, its possible a playlist might put me off attending... obvious really!

As for ego trips... check the size of your signature! :)

Hope thats sufficiently reasoned for you :lol:

Regards, Dave

Edited by Dave
Social source share

Well there ya go ... missed the point again! Story of my life! :shades:

So you mean the "Butch analogy" was irrelevant do you? OK! :shades:

Yes I would, and have, travelled to venues on the strength of a playlist. That is one of the the major influences, along with DJ's/collectors present and the input from people whose opinion I value.

And yes, its possible a playlist might put me off attending... obvious really!

As for ego trips... check the size of your signature! :(

Hope thats sufficiently reasoned for you :(

Regards, Dave

Thanks Dave, that's a nice answer. You know what they say, big signature[like big car] :):P:lol: Phil.

Social source share

Ditto :shades: .

Russ

Social source share

:shades: from me as well. Always nice to see titles I don't know and check them out for myself. Will admit seeing the c/u's drive mad as I never get to hear any of them! :lol::shades:

-Mike

Edited by recordwanted
Social source share

Phil,

Sorry to burst your bubble, but there weren't loads of unknowns played at your venue! :)

I go to events to see particular Dj's - or if I'm not sure then I like to read what kind of stuff they are likely to play. I'm pretty sure that those of us that have been spoilt musically in the past feel the same. :shades:

Its also nice to read playlists and think - ooh I've got that record and it cost £1.50.... or wow I'd forgotten all about that one - I MUST have it! :shades:

Anyway, the only record that I want to know about from Saturday is that one that Cliff played and he introduced as "It's Hula Time". Have asked him to stick it on a tape for me.. can you remind him (and PM me his contact details please) :P

The two records of the night for me was Larry Clinton, and Jim and Lee - both of which I haven't heard played out since I was a young 'un!

Oh and finally, are you gonna try and get Lee McKinney for my next visit? its Ok you've got a few months :lol:

I'm a pussycat really.... :(

Social source share

QUOTE(Mike B @ Mar 6 2006, 01:04 AM) link We always put them up on our website after an event www.eastangliasoul.co.uk and often give an idea of the sort of stuff future guests will play - the reason being that the area where we run our nights is a bastion of the oldies brigade, and our aim is to try to play something different from the same old same old - in theory it works two ways - lovers of the sounds they heard at the youth club are forewarned and people who want something different know they can get it with us....

Cheers

Mike Bolderson

Some good points well put there Mike. But do you think that the oldies brigade would check out your playlist before attending, or not, I mean on a website?

Have you ever had anyone attend your night, that said they had come, because they read your playlists?

Phil.

that's rather an elitist point of view don't you think? Maybe its me however the well attended soul nights in Peterborough (THE RAILWAY, THE PO, THE FLEET) are predominantly oldie orientated.

A social gathering of guys and gals who used to di it circa 1970's who simply want a beer, chat and a dance to something they can relate to, nowt wrong with that is there???

Social source share

I can see where Quinvy is going with this one.

But I'd still suggest publishing play lists.

My reasoning is: I've just seen an oldies play list & thought - glad I didn't go there, because I knew every record too well. After 30 odd years on & off the scene I'm looking for a few fresh records. When I'm looking at play lists I like to see a fair proportion of records I don't know sitting along side records that I do know.

Publish & be damned. Nobody is being forced to read them.

Col.

Social source share

love reading playlists.

not only great to read at the time, important (if that's not being too pompous) historically - gives you some hope of tracking back and seeing what was played when and by whom. i'm always going back through old back issues of old mags and the only things i consistently re-read are playlists and record reviews

Social source share

QUOTE(Mike B @ Mar 6 2006, 01:04 AM) link We always put them up on our website after an event www.eastangliasoul.co.uk and often give an idea of the sort of stuff future guests will play - the reason being that the area where we run our nights is a bastion of the oldies brigade, and our aim is to try to play something different from the same old same old - in theory it works two ways - lovers of the sounds they heard at the youth club are forewarned and people who want something different know they can get it with us....

So for me playlists get the :lol:

Cheers

Mike Bolderson

Phil.

Yes... :shades: , we've had someone phone us after reading our playlists and say they were coming down from oop north. I sent him a CD to listen to in the car on the way down.

We don't put pressure on the DJ's for a playlist but the ones who submit them are posted.

We only started posting them becuse we were asked so much.....

Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i like to read playlists.

i dont think they are essential if you know the dj's. i can usually tell what kind of sounds are likely to be played by looking at the dj list.

however, if you are setting up a new event with lesser known dj's i would say it was pretty essential that playlists are availiable.

Shane

Social source share

:shades: Blimey i never expected it to turn into a thread, Cant see why there is a problem, I post playlists all the time so do many others, you get a feel of what is being played, And yes i do travel to venues on the strength of playlists, i can juge for my self then, i was interested to see what kind of music was on offer at your venue! if it sounded like my cup of tea i would travel up to have a punt! you mention Butch but he''s in a whole differnt class, I dont think his whole play list would be c/up c/up c/up ok there will be a few there proberly more than any one elses play list, but thats erelivent cant see any way posting a playlist will be damaging to a night.............You claim to be upfront i was interested in seein what a upfront playlists consit of so i could juge for myself how 'upfront' you are :shades: and maybe ended up traveling to check the night out. You dont seem to have this promoting lark figured out yet..........embrace future customers :lol:
Social source share

Guest ShaneH

i also cant see a problem with posting a playlist which features lots of cover-ups. i imagine you give your cover-ups a 'name' anyway?

Social source share

Phil,

As you know I can and do post playlists from time to time and have had bookings for spots based on them. I post them infrequently because I'm so unorganised. :shades: If I remember to note down what I've played I don't get time to type and post up a list. I know many people put everything they play at either the front or the back of the box so they can pull them out and list them which works I guess. The weekends are too short for me to be typing up lists I'm mainly on here when I'm at work or working away anyway so would have to be from memory. I'd much rather see a review of a spot done by someone who I respected / trusted in any case but the polotics of that is a whole other ball game :shades:

So play list not a bad thing on the whole but not easy to do consitently for me anyway.

Social source share

Phil,

Anyway, the only record that I want to know about from Saturday is that one that Cliff played and he introduced as "It's Hula Time". Have asked him to stick it on a tape for me.. can you remind him (and PM me his contact details please) :shades:

I'm a pussycat really.... :lol:

is this a cover up ??

is it on a blue label :shades:

am I off at a tangent here cos didnt hear the record.....but can you put up a sound bite ?

Social source share

I love to read playlists too, but must admit I am the worlds worst when it comes to remembering what I played the next day and posting them up :P I always try to keep them in some sort of order, but find that due to the fact I change my mind at the last minute on what to put on the turntable it becomes a nightmare to remember. What would be a great idea for this lazy ass here would for someone to actually make notes on the nite as to what was played :shades::shades::lol:

bizarre request I know but hey ya never know :)

Social source share

Guest lifeandsoul

Sometimes I feel they can be misleading - seen a good playlist and had a crap time, seen a crap playlist and had a great time. Know what I mean, there's more than a playlist to selling a venue.

Also playlists before events? How does that work - come along and hear me play......., I will be playing this and that. Pre formatted playlists and premiditated spots don't work IMHO

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

I like reading playlists, but cant say that reading one has ever made me think I'd like to go there. In reality its no good going to venue X because guest abc played a record I hadnt heard for ages, and love. Even if a regular at the venue played the tune I'd still place going where my mates were first, because at the end of the day most venues can keep me happy. But its great seing a tune you like and havent heard getting the odd play every now and again.

One gorgeous lady who posts on here did say to me once that she thought there was a danger of there being a kind of homogenised playlist where DJs who regularly read Soul Source, tend to pick up on a tune that one other has played and before you know it everybody is playing the same record in a similar set.

Whether consciously or subconsciously I can see this happening too. For example Neal Brown - If by chance, was recommended by Dan (I think) on here a few years ago, and pretty soon it appeared on 3 or 4 playlists, then a few more and snowballed. Which is fine because its a cracking tune, that until then I didn't know, but it brings about the danger of the 'Northern Soul top 500' problem shifting from those contained in the book to the top 500 internet soul tunes.

So as usual I have splinters on my 'arris from fence sitting.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

They never bother me normally.

But in this case I would like to see one because the venue is advertised as "upfront and underground" and it would be interesting to see how that translates to the music.

Social source share

Sometimes I feel they can be misleading - seen a good playlist and had a crap time, seen a crap playlist and had a great time. Know what I mean, there's more than a playlist to selling a venue.

Yeah I know what you mean. Generally I like seeing playlists, not just from venues in Britain but also from around the world. I like to see what our continental soul brothers and sisters rate as tunes to play out. I think the only problem with playlists is that you can't tell how the set was played. What I mean is that someone may play a decent enough set of tunes but might inject excitement and be skillful in how they bring tracks on, and that will make for a good night for punters. Or you may get a cracking set of upfront, new discoveries, underplayed oldies, everything you may want from a set (fill in your own taste here) yet the person spinning the discs is useless on the mic, leaves gaps between records, cues badly and generates no excitement or atmosphere whatsoever. I know what kind of night I would rather be at. But having said all of that I do like to see what kind of stuff is getting played. Playlists do look good or bad on "paper" but they don't indicate the atmosphere of the night, and that is a main reason for people travelling to venues.

Jordi

Social source share

Back to the Butch thing again, Even though he would have fair few c/up's they would have c/up names and most of us are familiar with his c/ups anyway! James Trouble posted a playlist the other week that was about half c/ups. So cant see any argument about posting a playlist with cover ups in them :shades:

Social source share

. Generally I like seeing playlists, not just from venues in Britain but also from around the world. I like to see what our continental soul brothers and sisters rate as tunes to play out. Jordi

Couldn,t agree more , being stuck out in the outerhebrides of the soul "pulse "It is crucial for us expat soulies to still have a pulse on the Eouropean scene. It helps to know when to brush of the cobwebs from your forgotten stuff and move them with adolation and praise to your dj box ( when it gets a play)

Keep it coming!!!

Pete m

Social source share

Would depend why the playlists are posted, someone touched on it earlier, if it's to say look what I've got in my box, it's very boring to dancers, but the 'chin strokers' on the other hand would love it I suppose. A DJ in particular might make me travel, but not his actual playlist, cos there's no guarantee he'll play the same records again, in fact as elitists you'd probably hope he/she didn't??

Winnie:-)

Social source share

A social gathering of guys and gals who used to di it circa 1970's who simply want a beer, chat and a dance to something they can relate to, nowt wrong with that is there???
Wash your mouth out with soap.

How dare you post such heresy on here. If its not worth a chin stroke its not worth playing. blush.gif

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

A bonus I guess is if like Janine you like Out on the floor, or the Entertainer, and someone plays it and posts it on their set list, then it may give others encouragement to play the same record.

obviously the down side is if you dont want to hear certain records (The PIGGIN Professionals! Not AGAIN!!!)

Social source share

Can't see how posting a playlist can be a bad thing ..... i love reading play lists ..... so a big blush.gif from me

Same here :lol: , like to know what sort of music they play beforehand, so I can avoid listening to played out oldies. :huh:

Social source share

Guest Jamie

Back to the Butch thing again, Even though he would have fair few c/up's they would have c/up names and most of us are familiar with his c/ups anyway! James Trouble posted a playlist the other week that was about half c/ups. So cant see any argument about posting a playlist with cover ups in them :lol:

The only problem with JT's C/U's is that everyone knows them!!! :huh::lol:

Hope you had a nice holiday, mate.

See you soon.

Jamie blush.gif

Social source share

How dare you post such heresy on here. If its not worth a chin stroke its not worth playing. blush.gif

===============

:lol::lol:

How dare you post such heresy on here. If its not worth a chin stroke its not worth playing. :lol:

==========

:huh::lol: Chinstroking is the "New" dancing :lol:

Social source share

The only problem with JT's C/U's is that everyone knows them!!! blush.gif:lol:

Hope you had a nice holiday, mate.

Yeah we all know he makes them up to look good :lol: (sorry James :lol: )

Chinstroking is the "New" dancing :lol:

You wait till you see the 'crab' :huh: best new dance going.......along with the 'modified' maccarina :lol:

Social source share

You wait till you see the 'crab' :huh: best new dance going.......along with the 'modified' maccarina :lol:

Yeah but only for the disco dancing bits blush.gif:lol:

Social source share

i find it all a bit clinical and organised myself ...... and i'm rarely sober enough to remember what i've played and in what order.

what did everyone do before internet playlists?

i also find it a little bizarre when i see posts that say "we play this" ... they list loads of tracks. do they work it all out in advance? i like to play as the mood and/or dancefloor takes me ..... and i'd like DJ's i pay to hear to do the same.

Edited by hipshaker 05
Social source share

A bonus I guess is if like Janine you like Out on the floor, or the Entertainer, and someone plays it and posts it on their set list, then it may give others encouragement to play the same record.

obviously the down side is if you dont want to hear certain records (The PIGGIN Professionals! Not AGAIN!!!)

seeing records like that on a playlist, as good as they may be would put me off going to a venue unfortunately. Heard them a million times and no wish to hear them out anymore.

Social source share

Same here :huh: , like to know what sort of music they play beforehand, so I can avoid listening to played out oldies. :lol:

trouble is not that many venues that don't play played out oldies :lol: very few that cater for the leser known side of the scene :lol: many playlists I see would make me think twice about some venues so tend not to take much notice of them. If you are about on a regular basis you tend to get to know the dj's on the scene and what they tend to play. Normally I can make my own judgement from a flyer as to what to expect regardless of what the promoters promise :lol:blush.gif:lol:

Social source share

from FENMAN...

So playing 3hrs of chin stroking stuff last Friday at the PO would have sent everybody home commenting on what a superb night of ENTERTAINMENT it was, I could and would if the crowd are that way inclined dig deep and play stuff that not many folk know, however Friday was not about that, was it?

Friday at the Post Office was all about giving a percentage of those who had paid good money to get out and hope for an enjoyable night out, for the record this was my playlist,

Play list from last night

Cobblestone Tricke me etc

Velvets I gotta find me somebody

Fidels Try a little harder

The Present Manys the slip etc

Marie Knight Thats no way to treat a girl

The Charades key to my happiness

Johnny Wyatt This Thing call Love

Harold Melvin Praying

Jeff Perry Love dont etc

The Bothers Are you ready for this

Frank Popp You've been gone too long

JJ Barnes Our Love is in the Pocket

The Vonnettes Touch my heart

Lee Andrews Cant do without you

Rubin Youve been away

Martha Reeve and The Vandellas NowhereTo Run

Jnr Walker Roadrunner

Jackie Wilson Open the door to your heart

William Bell Happy

Cindy Scott I Love you Baby

Rain Out of My Mind

Sounds of Lane Tracks to your mind

The Tempos Countdowm

Lada Edmund The LARUE

if you were present and didn't enjoy my set then I apologise however I was playing to the crowd not to a cliquey group of three of four discussing if it what I was playing was demo, issue or studio acetate,

Drop me a line with your home addy and I gladly send you a tape of some stuff you and your mates would enjoy.

My playlists are dictated by those that use the dancefloor, nothing else.

cya.

Social source share

Also playlists before events? How does that work - come along and hear me play......., I will be playing this and that. Pre formatted playlists and premiditated spots don't work IMHO

agree with your comments. Have seen/heard some DJ's play some fantastic records but unfortunately the way the set was put together it just didn't work, didn't flow etc so would be like you say pretty misleading to how the night went.

Social source share

trouble is not that many venues that don't play played out oldies :( very few that cater for the leser known side of the scene :lol: many playlists I see would make me think twice about some venues so tend not to take much notice of them. If you are about on a regular basis you tend to get to know the dj's on the scene and what they tend to play. Normally I can make my own judgement from a flyer as to what to expect regardless of what the promoters promise :lol:blush.gif:D

:D:lol:

Don't get me wrong, I do like oldies, but not when I'm out and about :huh: . I can listen to it at home or at work any time. Must admit I do like to here something new and different, and there so many venues to chews from nowadays :lol: , and the choice of different rooms in some of them, and in the all-nighters as well :lol: .

Edited by asboannie
Social source share

from FENMAN...

So playing 3hrs of chin stroking stuff last Friday at the PO would have sent everybody home commenting on what a superb night of ENTERTAINMENT it was, I could and would if the crowd are that way inclined dig deep and play stuff that not many folk know, however Friday was not about that, was it?

Friday at the Post Office was all about giving a percentage of those who had paid good money to get out and hope for an enjoyable night out, for the record this was my playlist,

if you were present and didn't enjoy my set then I apologise however I was playing to the crowd not to a cliquey group of three of four discussing if it what I was playing was demo, issue or studio acetate,

cya.

Paul,

Trying to work out if you took my post seriously, thought the smiley was a give away but just in case.

I was not knocking you but agreeing with you and trying to deflate the pretentious bullshit that is now so much a part of the scene. :huh:

Social source share

f

cya.

No offence Paul (nor do i want to start the age old debate off again blush.gif:huh: )

But how is the dancefloor going to know what they want if there fed the same old every time they go out, try this why not drop about 5 lesser knowns in your spot.......if they are proper dancers(the punters i mean) they will dance........dont have to be obsuritys, just good dancers who knows the second thrid or fourth time they hear them it might be the next big 'peterborough sound' :lol: you and i both know that 99% of the punters at them do's only go to them do's and no where else!!

Social source share

I understand what you're saying ... i too have had some top nights where the music hasn't been exactly to my taste ... but that's because of the company i've been in .... not because of what's being played.

Thank God for good mates in those situations.

At the end of the day .... it's the music i go for first and foremost ...... without doubt!

And with all the will in the world .... there's only so much even the funniest mates can do to alleviate the agony of poor records.

As for playlists BEFORE a spot ..... NOT ON YOUR NINNIE ..... NO WAY ..... NEVER ..... ABSOLUTELY NOT !!

Every night is different ..... and you adapt what you play accordingly .... AS YOUR PLAYING THEM ..... not the week before thumbsup.gif

Social source share

No offence Paul (nor do i want to start the age old debate off again :huh::lol: )

But how is the dancefloor going to know what they want if there fed the same old every time they go out, try this why not drop about 5 lesser knowns in your spot.......if they are proper dancers(the punters i mean) they will dance........dont have to be obsuritys, just good dancers who knows the second thrid or fourth time they hear them it might be the next big 'peterborough sound' :lol: you and i both know that 99% of the punters at them do's only go to them do's and no where else!!

Good post Baz :lol:

The other point is if the DJ's/ Promoters went a bit further afield they might find that some of the records they regard as lesser known are actually bigger sounds than they think.

As this seems to have turned into a thread about Peterborough rather than playlists, I would just like to point out that not every well attended soul night in Peterborough plays the top 100! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert