Guest hammy

Dynamic 3 - You said Yeah

Freddie Butler - Save Your Love

Belita Woods - Foolish Girl c/u

Roy Hamilton - Panic is On

The Saints - I'll Let You Slide

Hammy

Social source share

I was thinking about this thread whilst out driving today, so here's mine(not in any particular order). By the way I've cheated as I couldn't choose between 2 records. :D

1. Laura Lee - To Win Your Heart

First heard this on a scratched old copy of the Ric-Tic Relics LP, which I bought at a carboot many years ago. Wasn't until I discovered Ebay that I managed to get myself a copy. Still the most money I've ever spent on a record.

2. Frank Wilson - Do I Love You

I haven't heard this played out in years, I still think it's excellent. I bought my copy at Exmouth scooter run 1985 for £2, the best £2 I ever spent IMO. I also had it played at my wedding reception. :rolleyes:

3. Frank Beverly & The Butlers - If That's What You Wanted / Billy Butler - The Right Track

I couldn't choose between them, top class northern soul both of them. True sometimes you can hear some records so often that you get sick of them, but as I don't get out that often I don't have that problem. They always reminds me of attending allnighters at scooter runs with my mates, before marriage & kids put a stop to it all. :D

4. Edwin Starr - I Have Faith In You

I never knew this until I bought a copy of SOS on Ric-Tic and turned it over. Just superb, mind you Edwin could do no wrong as far as I was concerned.

5. Ray Pollard - The Drifter

I used to drive the kids mad with this in the car, could play it over & over again. :D

Social source share

An almost impossible task trying to choose just 5 sounds. I guess it must be these.

Christine Cooper - Heartaches away my boy. I just can't seem to get tired of this, I fell

in love with this (and her) around my 3rd or 4th visit to the Highland Room circa '72. Hard

to believe it didn't hit the charts and surprisingly done by those Kasenatz Katz guys !!!

Help me - The Spellbinders. Loved this since my youth club days. What can one say,

Ken Williams & Van McCoy behind it doesn't get much better for me. What a voice

that Bobby Shivers has (he once sang to me in a hotel lift !!!)

Heaven Must have sent you - Elgins. The record that started it all for me when I was

a young lad ( I've always been a big kid). Oozes Motown polish.

Hurt on the other side - Jerry Cook. Has for me everything a soul record should have,

great voice, lyrics, backing track, unknown singer and legendary arranger...............

sigh................

Bobby Reed - I'll find a way. Very much a "cry your eyes out" choon, bought this for

2/6d in some London junk shop l..o..n..g....l..o..n..g...time again, still gets me there every

time. It's Van McCoy, what can yer say ?

Suppose there's about another 100 I could add. But if I was stranded on an industrial

estate down on the Belgian/German border this is what I'd smaggle past the guards.

Love & peace

Chris L

Social source share

Here's my Top 5. Not in any particular order, bur all L.A. tunes.

1) Virginia Blakly - let nobody love you - Mojo.

2) The Oracles - Ain't got time - OM.

3) Ty Karim - lighten up baby - Car-a -mel.

4) The Groovettes - Think it over baby - Reness.

5) Pamela Beaty - Talkin' eyes - Tip.

Regards Ritchie. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Here's my Top 5. Not in any particular order, bur all L.A. tunes.

1) Virginia Blakly - let nobody love you - Mojo.

2) The Oracles - Ain't got time - OM.

3) Ty Karim - lighten up baby - Car-a -mel.

4) The Groovettes - Think it over baby - Reness.

5) Pamela Beaty - Talkin' eyes - Tip.

:D Nice!

Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

An almost impossible task trying to choose just 5 sounds. I guess it must be these.

Christine Cooper - Heartaches away my boy. I just can't seem to get tired of this, I fell

in love with this (and her) around my 3rd or 4th visit to the Highland Room circa '72. Hard

to believe it didn't hit the charts and surprisingly done by those Kasenatz Katz guys !!!

Help me - The Spellbinders. Loved this since my youth club days. What can one say,

Ken Williams & Van McCoy behind it doesn't get much better for me. What a voice

that Bobby Shivers has (he once sang to me in a hotel lift !!!)

Heaven Must have sent you - Elgins. The record that started it all for me when I was

a young lad ( I've always been a big kid). Oozes Motown polish.

Hurt on the other side - Jerry Cook. Has for me everything a soul record should have,

great voice, lyrics, backing track, unknown singer and legendary arranger...............

sigh................

Bobby Reed - I'll find a way. Very much a "cry your eyes out" choon, bought this for

2/6d in some London junk shop l..o..n..g....l..o..n..g...time again, still gets me there every

time. It's Van McCoy, what can yer say ?

Suppose there's about another 100 I could add. But if I was stranded on an industrial

estate down on the Belgian/German border this is what I'd smaggle past the guards.

Love & peace

Chris L

Damn! why do ther peoples posts remind me of the records I missed from my own top five. I didn't even consider Archie Bell. Should have! Elgins should have been a contender too. Great stuff.

Social source share

Helllo Mark,

Just had a look @ your Top 5.... Chicago & Detroit with a Newark New Jersey. Also its coming up for a year (this Saturday) since you did the "two Cities of Northern Soul" at Sheridans. Although the turn out was a little dissapointing, the records played that night were AWESOME, as was the set up between the rooms. I loved that place, whatever promoter was running it on the night. Does anybody know whats happened there ? apart from an attempted murder outside there around Christmas time!!.

Social source share

1. Jackie Beavers - I Need My Baby, This one has been my #1 since I first heard it about 8 years ago. So subtile but yet perfect!

2. The Fascinators - In Other Words, Perfect harmonies!

3. Eddie Parker - I'm Gone

4. Sy Hightower - I Know You're Leaving Me

5. The Masqueraders - How

I'm not sure about the Masqueraders. It could also have been Larry Clinton - She's Wanted or The Magnetics - When I'm With My Baby.

Social source share

This is the hardest one yet, having to decide out of 20 original records

Frankie & The Damons...The man from soul...JCP

Christine Cooper.....Heartaches away my boy.....Parkway

J.J. Barnes..Lonely no more/Get a hold of yourself.....Mickays

The Czars...Be mine for ever...Key-Loc

Jamie Power...There's no living without your lovin'...Jamie

Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

I know its an oldish topic but couldn't let it slip away without registering Jackie Wilson or the O'Jays. These (5) records have stayed in my head when others have come and gone so here we go:-

I've lost you - Jackie Wilson - so catchy but never get fed up with it

I dig your act - The O'Jays - just have to dance when it comes on (even if I'm not pissed!)

You don't want me no more - Major Lance Time-less masterpiece

I miss you baby - Marv Johnson - I'm sure the record was produced with a club atmosphere in mind

Gotta fid a way - Cajun Heart - A bit smoother that the other (4) & a generation later but I love it

Regards Ada

Social source share

Guest hammy

Great tunes Hammy - I knew you were a Saints fan at heart.

Thank you very much soulful saint.

I may be tuning in at some point this afternoon, prior to a gentle promenade to see Kajagoogoo coff Celtic at Easter Road. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Hammy

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

Don & Juan - Heartbreaking Truth. Absolutely perfect pitch and tempo, emotionally charged musically and lyrically and a unique sound.

Chapter Five - You can't mean it. Opposite of the above, banging, feel-good, uptempo, wide-smile "ave it" record. Top.

Gene Toones - What more do you want. The pleading rollercoaster voice rising to that massive "Ohh what more, what more do you want" backed by the crashing drums and some monstrous brass in all the right places. Impossible to sit down to.

Ernestine Anderson - Keep an eye on love. Mod as f*ck and the perfect balance of Soul, Latin and Jazz

Lorraine Ellison - Stay with me baby. Headphones on, eyes-closed, clenched fists. Aural heartache and surely the most emotional vocal ever recorded. Sublime, if this doesn't make you want to cry you've got no soul.

Now then, where's my box... sorry neighbours.

Social source share

My top five have and always will be...........

Second hand love-Lynn Vernado....Wigan memories(when it was good)

Hoagy Lands-Next in Lline......Just a classic

Del-Larks.......Job opening.......,Blackpool Mecca magic!!(reminds me of Pete Lawson)

Barbara Mills.....Queen of fools.............What northern is all about(and i always love girly poppy stuff so there)

Jay D Bryant-I Won´t be coming back.........Could have been popular years earlier if Ady Pountain had bought it off Kev Roberts!....Wonderful record thanks JIm Winsiora!

Number six is still to be discovered!!thats what keeps it interesting.

Steve.

nice to see Mark Bicknell listing my old Four Tracks whistling.gif 8 pound off Soul Bowl!!

Yes Steve cost me a fortune this off Ian Clark around 1989/90 a bit more than your £8.00 i think it was £70.00.....still got it......you got yours?....lol

Regards - Mark Bicknell.

Social source share

1..TOMMY RIDGLEY..MY LOVE GETS STRONGER

2..PROFESSIONALS..THATS WHY I LOVE YOU/DID MY BABY CALL

3..JOHNNY HAMPTON..NOT MY GIRL

4..HERB WARD..STRANGE CHANGE

5..JOHNNY ROGERS..MAKE A CHANGE

Hi Nick only had No-1 and No-4...........my top 5

MR. LUCKY

MAL ADAMS

ALBERTA WEEKS

RON JEFFERSON

OVERTONES.......................Stevie

Social source share

Hi Nick only had No-1 and No-4...........my top 5

MR. LUCKY

MAL ADAMS

ALBERTA WEEKS

RON JEFFERSON

OVERTONES.......................Stevie

Been waiting for this one.......good choice at number two Stevie.. whistling.gif

Social source share

Helllo Mark,

Just had a look @ your Top 5.... Chicago & Detroit with a Newark New Jersey. Also its coming up for a year (this Saturday) since you did the "two Cities of Northern Soul" at Sheridans. Although the turn out was a little dissapointing, the records played that night were AWESOME, as was the set up between the rooms. I loved that place, whatever promoter was running it on the night. Does anybody know whats happened there ? apart from an attempted murder outside there around Christmas time!!.

Regards Ritchie. whistling.gif

Can't believe that was a year ago, Jesus where has all that time gone......your right about the records played though Ritchie, top drawer.

Social source share

Guest rachel

Can't believe that was a year ago, Jesus where has all that time gone......your right about the records played though Ritchie, top drawer.

God, yeah, the week after Prestatyn last year, wasn't it? Good tunes indeed :lol:

Another big whistling.gif for Mal Adams here.. and Mr Lucky is very much growing on me since someone posted a file up on here... love the lyrics :wicked:

Social source share

Guest old bar

Little Tommy - Baby Can't you see

Imperial C's - Someone tell her

The Empires - You're on top girl

Ruby - Feminine ingenuity

Lost Soul - Im gonna hurt you

Extra: Nomads - comething's bad

Hope to listen to them in Prestatyn whistling.gif

Social source share

Christ I've put at least a 100 down and deleted them as tunes come to mind, heres my final 5 (for the moment)

JESSE DAVIS - ROOM FOR ME

ANDY FISHER - HEARTS BEATING STRONGER

CAROL ANDERSON - SAD GIRL

CHUCK COCKERHAM - HAVE I GOT A RIGHT

DEE EDWARDS - YOU SAY YOU LOVE ME

Social source share

This is a really hard thing to complete and I have cheated a bit, so here goes.

Bettye Swan - Make Me Yours - Money

In my opinion, this is the greatest soul record ever, and one that I have never got tired of and cheap too.

Northern/60's

Luther Ingram - It's all the Same to you Babe - HIB

If this record has never got you up on the floor or your foot tapping, you're dead.

Frank Beverley and the Butlers - If That's What You Wanted - Gamble

This is more than just an over played classic. When the horns come in, they grab you and lead you on a Northern soul roller coaster ride.

Natural 4 - I thought you were mine - ABC/Boola Boola

I can't split them up. Every time I think, one just comes out on top, I play the other and my mind changes once again.

Tony Middleton - To the Ends of the Earth - MGM

This seems to be a love it or don't rate it record. The drums and organ just hook me and reel me in.

Walter Jackson - My Ship is coming in - Okeh

This still sends chills down my spine.

Modern

Four Below Zero - My Baby's Got ESP - Roulette

I used to hope Ian Clark would play this, and it always brought out a great big smile. The best disco/soul dancer ever.

Carol Anderson - I'll Get Off At the Next Stop - Fee

This is the other side of Sad Girl. Bob Jones used to play this on his show on Horizon Radio. I First heard it in a three in a row including Phil Flowers - Stay a Awhile - ICI (If any one has a spare, please give me a mail). Boy was I excited, when SoulBowl said "Yep £3.50". It was a couple of years later that I actually flipped it over. One of the most anticipated records I have ever bought. If you haven't flipped it over yet, please do and turn the lights down low.

Mathilda Jones - Part of the Game - Future Stars

I don't think this label released a bad record? Clarence hits the spot once again.

Garland Green - Don't Let Love Walk out on us - RCA

It could have been any of his records from any era; this one just holds so many memories of the London Soul scene in the late 80's (Maybe through rose tinted glasses?).

Sam Dees - Can you be a one man woman - Chess

A complete monster ballad which sadly seems to always be overlooked compared to his other work.

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

This is the first post on this site so i'll kick of with me top 5 as of today...........

1.Rita And The Tiaras - Gone With The Wind Is My Love (only heard this a month or so ago and cant stop playing it)

2.The Ivories - Please Stay(Powerfull Stuff, man)

3.The Isonics - Sugar(Great dancer only heard played at a club once)

4.Sam Dees - Loney for You Baby (first northern soul song i ever heard)

5.The Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine (loved this since I was born)

there we are then.........

Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Top stuff Ollie

All could have been in mine too. Apart from Sam Dees. Stafford tune, but never liked it. The rest ? Superb

Social source share

This is the first post on this site so i'll kick of with me top 5 as of today...........

1.Rita And The Tiaras - Gone With The Wind Is My Love (only heard this a month or so ago and cant stop playing it)

2.The Ivories - Please Stay(Powerfull Stuff, man)

3.The Isonics - Sugar(Great dancer only heard played at a club once)

4.Sam Dees - Loney for You Baby (first northern soul song i ever heard)

5.The Isley Brothers - This Old Heart Of Mine (loved this since I was born)

there we are then.........

Ollie

A warm welcome to the forum. With good taste like yours, you'll make plenty of friends and find lots to enjoy. Cracking selection. Must admit I never heard the Isonics track...

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

Christ I've put at least a 100 down and deleted them as tunes come to mind, heres my final 5 (for the moment)

CHUCK COCKERHAM - HAVE I GOT A RIGHT

Absolutely one of my all time favourite records, outstanding, give me Mid- Tempo any day of the week, music for the body, soul and mind.........

Social source share

Guest Ollie Lailey

Ollie

A warm welcome to the forum. With good taste like yours, you'll make plenty of friends and find lots to enjoy. Cracking selection. Must admit I never heard the Isonics track...

Thanks for the warm welcome, and kind words.......... see ya round!

Social source share

Guest stax'a'soul

THIS IS MY ALL TIME TOP FIVE.............I THINK laugh.gif

1.DAVE CHARLES - AIN'T GONNA CRY NO MORE

2.UNITED FOUR - SHE'S PUTTING YOU ON

3.MADELINE WILSON - DIAL 'L' FOR LONELY

4.MAXINE BROWN - LET ME GIVE YOU MY LOVING

5.BARBARA LYNN - NICE & EASY

STEVE :wicked:

Social source share

Lorraine Ellison - Stay with me baby. Headphones on, eyes-closed, clenched fists. Aural heartache and surely the most emotional vocal ever recorded. Sublime, if this doesn't make you want to cry you've got no soul.

Now then, where's my box... sorry neighbours.

===========

Great shout on the Lorraine Ellison.......stunning vocal IMO

Winnie:-)

Social source share

===========

Great shout on the Lorraine Ellison.......stunning vocal IMO

Winnie:-)

This is another of my favourites too... Its one I remember from my childhood. Whenever the parents had been argueing, you would invariably hear this being blasted out not long after :thumbsup:

Social source share

Must admit I never heard the Isonics track...

A brilliant dancer, John Parker alway's play's it for me at the Manhatten club Harrogate, on the 1st Saturday of the month well worth a visit, also at the Post Office club York and the last Soulsville in Leeds.

I alway's get lost in my own world on the dance floor when this is played, it's a fantastic to dancer. :thumbsup:

To have a listen it's on The Soul Club juke box at mo, let me know what you think. whistling.gif

Karen

Social source share

A brilliant dancer, John Parker alway's play's it for me at the Manhatten club Harrogate, on the 1st Saturday of the month well worth a visit, also at the Post Office club York and the last Soulsville in Leeds.

I alway's get lost in my own world on the dance floor when this is played, it's a fantastic to dancer. :D

To have a listen it's on The Soul Club juke box at mo, let me know what you think. whistling.gif

Karen

SS very own Mike Hughes plays it out :thumbsup:

one of my fav's too Karen :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert