A Pain In My Heart

• Replies 48
  • Views 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Everytime I play 'Garland Green - Come Through Me' it causes me serious internal pain.

Turn the volume up & the pain gets worse. I'm in trouble & taking on heartache.

Whats currently hurting you?

Col.

Bloody hell mate. Didn't know it, played it and now I'm hurting too!

Strangely (or maybe not) Show and Tell - Al Wilson always makes me well up.

Oh, and - I'm Telling You I'm Not Leaving - Jennifer Holiday

......and - It's Not The Same - Little Anthony

Hmmm.

Social source share

Bloody hell mate. Didn't know it, played it and now I'm hurting too!

Strangely (or maybe not) Show and Tell - Al Wilson always makes me well up.

......and - It's Not The Same - Little Anthony

Hmmm.

...........its a tough old world out there.

Col :ohmy:

Social source share

Everytime I play 'Garland Green - Come Through Me' it causes me serious internal pain.

Col.

Kissing you tonight.

Cold wind in the ghetto.

I never loved you anyway.

See the big man cry, listen to the words of the little boy telling his mum that if he had a daddy his daddy would buy him the puppy.

Steve

Social source share

Come Through Me is a big favourite of mine. Incredible to think that Spring Records saw fit not to release it at the time, when some of the GG sides they did release were decidedly average (and that's being kind to a lot of them). Have you heard Phillip Mitchell's original demo of this as released by Grapevine a couple of years back, Colin? Also superb.

Social source share

Col.

The Ascots - Just Few Feet From The Gutter whistling.gif

Bobbie Hutton - Come See What's Left Of Me whistling.gif

Peabo Bryson - Can You Stop The Rain :lol::yes: as mentioned on the weather thread.

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Chi-Lites - Have you seen her

Smokey Robinson & Miracles - Who's gonna take the blame

Jimmy Ruffin - Farewell is a lonely sound

Social source share

Guest Bearsoul

The flip sides brilliant as well Miff .Best ,Eddie
WHAT A CLASS ACT KENNY CARTER IS....HOPE YOUR WELL EDDIE ! SEE YOU AT NORTHAMPTON IF NOT BEFORE

CHRIS M thumbup.gif

Social source share

The flip sides brilliant as well Miff .Best ,Eddie

Just played it . Sounds good, but my copys well knackerd sounds like someone walking up a gravel drive thumbup.gif

Social source share

Col.

Nice to see a thread that leans towards the 'deeper side' of things

Painful Soul....

James Carr - These Aint Raindrops

Bobby McClure - To Get What You Got

Lee Jones - This Heart Is Haunted

Vivilore Jordan - Maybe

Betty Lavette - Let Me Down Easy

Tyrone Davis - I Keep Coming Back

To name only a few!

Sean Hampsey

Social source share

Nice to see a thread that leans towards the 'deeper side' of things

Painful Soul....

James Carr - These Aint Raindrops

Bobby McClure - To Get What You Got

Lee Jones - This Heart Is Haunted

Vivilore Jordan - Maybe

Betty Lavette - Let Me Down Easy

Tyrone Davis - I Keep Coming Back

To name only a few!

Sean Hampsey

Hmm does it have to be deep to hurt, but agree Sean, great choice.

Know its been mentioned before by Mr Jack of Brighton but in this vain the favorite by a mile must be Kim Tolliver _ Where Were You full 12" version, that hurts due to sheer soulfulness but also the subject matter just fits and it makes her sadness a physical living thing for the duration of this record!

2 listening to lots at moment are Mike Jemison - You Make Me Feel The Way You Do (?) 12" and Garfield Fleming - Lets Turn In Early, have chased these since mid 80's and only recent got them, in all honesty they are not as good as I remembered (are they ever), certainly not the holy grail of slowies as I had made them in my own mind but still 2 very fine honest to goodness examples of proper soul music.

Interesting aside No 1 - just realised pretty sure I have Barret Strong doing the Mike Jemison number, just cant remember where or what medium I have it!!

Interesting Aside No 2 - having been chasing the Mike Jemison no and a couple of knoweldgeable guys on RSF confirming its a hard one, got it on ebay for a fiver and the same seller listed (and relisted twice more) with no takers, incredible. The Kim Tolliver also went through with no takers, recently. Double incredible.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Come Through Me is a big favourite of mine. Incredible to think that Spring Records saw fit not to release it at the time, when some of the GG sides they did release were decidedly average (and that's being kind to a lot of them). Have you heard Phillip Mitchell's original demo of this as released by Grapevine a couple of years back, Colin? Also superb.

Hi Gareth,

No. As usual you are one step ahead of me. I'd love to hear that - sound file anyone?

Could have had a good thing Marshall Downing - blooming brilliant

Don't know that one either!

Col

ps Enjoyed your set at Bisley blush.gif

Social source share

I think the Barrett Strong version of Mike Jemison is on the Love Is You album on Coup (I'll check when I get home...) The MJ 12" is really hard to get, I too was looking since the 80s.

Agree with you on the Kim Tolliver 12" too, Jock; a record I've mentioned on here lots (usually in topics relating to coloured vinyl, strangely) Great as that is, I must state that I consider Kim Tolliver's version of Gwen McCrae's I'm Losing The Feeling on the Chess lp to be her defining moment on tape. A simply amazing performance that I readily put up there as one of the best three soul records I've ever heard. It's strong stuff.

Social source share

Col.

Tommy Williams *Going crazy (over you)" on Back Beat. Achingly brilliant!!

Social source share

I think the Barrett Strong version of Mike Jemison is on the Love Is You album on Coup (I'll check when I get home...) The MJ 12" is really hard to get, I too was looking since the 80s.

Spot on Gareth, well its on the flip side of the Love Is You 45 (just played that for first time in years thanks to this, still sounds great happy music to me!) so assume its on the album too. If you are still after the MJ let me know as don't think the other one sold amazingly and it was dirt cheap!

Agree with you on the Kim Tolliver 12" too, Jock; a record I've mentioned on here lots (usually in topics relating to coloured vinyl, strangely) Great as that is, I must state that I consider Kim Tolliver's version of Gwen McCrae's I'm Losing The Feeling on the Chess lp to be her defining moment on tape. A simply amazing performance that I readily put up there as one of the best three soul records I've ever heard. It's strong stuff.

Mines is on plain black but the one on e-bay recently was coloured vinyl funny enough. Thanks for the tip on Chess LP, have actually passed on that a couple of times as the normally reliable Jim O'Hara had said it wasn't great, add that to my latest ebay search, sods law it will come up when I can't afford it, if it comes up that is!!

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Hmmm.

Being a lover of show tunes and co-incidently staying in Boy's Town LA at the moment (I'm here for the Oscars; not!), I think this is fantastic. Jim Carrey once did a "live" version of it on the Larry Sanders show, it was an absolutely incredible moment of television in loads of ways.

On the same tack 'Seasons Of Love' from "Rent" brings out the hankies, the cast version not the Stevie Wonder version which is OK too.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Linda Jones - I've Given You The Best Years Of My Life (Turbo) - quite probably the saddest song ever written, sung by quite definitely the most emotional vocalist ever to record. I get tearful even thinking about it...

TONE

Social source share

Guest enchantedrythm

being 'hurt' to soul music is what its all about, but hurt should really be 'moved' to whatever state,

loads of stuff makes me cry sometimes

billy eckstine-fantasy-motown l.p because it was my grandmothers fav of one of my dads plays,40 years ago,

god rest both

Social source share

Col.

i've got some work to do at home today and currently having a coffee break - I stuck Jimmy Conwell's 'Let it all out' LP on (and immediately thought of this thread).

Jim tugs at the old heart throughout - but the title track does me evertime ph34r.gif

"so I wanna you, to let it all out, let it all out, here is my shoulder, to cry on......"

It has me in bits everytime

Social source share

Guest alison

Black and Blue - Of all the hearts to break. That was my heartbreak and misery tune. (And I'll also doff my cap towards Jennifer Holiday - I'm telling you I'm not going as well)

Don't get off on the miserable stuff these days - I am nauseatingly happy beer.gif

Johns pick is Cry to Me - Loleatta Holloway.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert