Divorces And The Split Up Of 30 Year Old Collections

:) Clear as day now - it can get dead smoggy round here.

==================

Can I ask a serious question here, could the guys wife use all this info to her advantage if she or her solicitor were to get hold of it? Is it ok to talk on the net about an ongoing case. genuine questions, as I don't know

Winnie;-)

Social source share

• Replies 84
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Just wanted to say - not all woman are that bad/after everything - some have a hard time and just want out and piece of mind/quiet life! :)

Just wanted to say - not all woman are that bad/after everything - some have a hard time and just want out and piece of mind/quiet life! :)

Social source share

Your right, I would say surely in a divorce everything is split 50/50 ? That sounds fair to me.

Social source share

Wouldnt the easiest solution be,get all the records together then try to get together,one party takes a record then the other party takes they`re choice,and so on!!,the record collecting party would have a fare advantige,save £xxxx on legal fee`s,and he/her still have 50% of there collection,should be fun watching the none collecting party trying to sell the fukcing things :) ,thank fukc i chose my ex-wife wisely :) i think :)

Edited by ken
Social source share

Your right, I would say surely in a divorce everything is split 50/50 ? That sounds fair to me.

Unfortunatley 50/50 is not a reality when kids are involved, I'll be lucky to get 22% of the total marital assets, I'd snap your hand off for 50%, but it was me that bogged off so I guess I get what I deserve :):) .

BH

Social source share

Unfortunatley 50/50 is not a reality when kids are involved, I'll be lucky to get 22% of the total marital assets, I'd snap your hand off for 50%, but it was me that bogged off so I guess I get what I deserve :(:( .

BH

Wouldnt the easiest solution be,get all the records together then try to get together,one party takes a record then the other party takes they`re choice,and so on!!,the record collecting party would have a fare advantige,save £xxxx on legal fee`s,and he/her still have 50% of there collection,should be fun watching the none collecting party trying to sell the fukcing things :( ,thank fukc i chose my ex-wife wisely :) i think :)

:)

Social source share

I guess the problem is that this is one of a few 'hobbies' for want of a better word that involves assets that actually appreciate in value. If you were an angler and spent a few hundred quid on equipment - that equipment becomes worth a lot less as soon as you use it. Buy a new car and it's worth 30% less by the time you drive it home. Jewellery is worth the scrap price mostly. Rare Soul Vinyl seems to be worth it's weight in gold however.

My experience (and I'm sure most on here) with Rare Soul is that you can buy something for a fiver and ten or so years later it's worth a few hundred - thinking about it, it's a pain in the arse really. I just really want to enjoy the music and not worry about insuring them or getting them nicked etc.

Maybe next time your wives or husbands moan about the cost of your records you can assure them that what you're really doing is attempting to make sound financial provision for them in the case of divorce or death!

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Not got around to tying the knot yet. But my partner of fifteen years has been mentioning it more of late. Reading this thread makes me think a pre nup would be wise. Serious.

Unless the law has changed I'm not sure that they are actually effective under English law? Not very romantic either. :)

Social source share

Unless the law has changed I'm not sure that they are actually effective under English law? Not very romantic either. :)

Why are they not effective under English law?

Not romantic but on the way in she's not going to be interested in some old soul records. So as long as she signs to that effect, we'll be fine. :)

Social source share

As far as I know statute law doesn't disallow a pre-nuptial agreement but todate the courts have only been willing to give them passing consideration before awarding the bigger half to the ex-wife :)

Divorce....to remove a man's wallet though his testicles!!!!

Social source share

Unfortunatley 50/50 is not a reality when kids are involved, I'll be lucky to get 22% of the total marital assets, I'd snap your hand off for 50%, but it was me that bogged off so I guess I get what I deserve :(:) .

BH

50/50 ha ha someone's having a laugh, still I kept me records even though i lost everything else & continued to pay for years for my poor taste in women :)

Bitter & twisted Dave (not really :) )

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Why are they not effective under English law?

Not romantic but on the way in she's not going to be interested in some old soul records. So as long as she signs to that effect, we'll be fine. :)

The answer really is that its none of your business what happens to your assets on a divorce!

Parliament has decided that judges should have the power to allocate the assets of a marriage and not the parties, so the prenuptual arrangement is only any good if both parties agree to abide by it. The courts don't consider themselves as having a power to replace that law on allocation of assets on divorce with a private agreement.

If you wanted to enforce a prenuptial agreement I don't think you'd enforce it in the divorce courts (family division) anyway but another part of the court altogether, but it is unlikely that a judge in the divorce court would recognise the enforcement of the agreement as preventing him or her from allocating the marriage assets as he or she saw fit in accordance with the relevant statute and the demands of the interfering nanny state.

Sadly, if prenuptual agreements were binding divorce lawyers would lose out big time, and people like me would probably get lots of extra money :)

Must dash, I can hear an ambulance siren, there may be some work to be done, wheres my running shoes? :)

Social source share

Even if they were valid, I would imagine it would make a difference if children were involved and how long the marriage had lasted ?

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Even if they were valid, I would imagine it would make a difference if children were involved and how long the marriage had lasted ?

Not to the actual contract but if legislation were introduced to make them override a court's view of what the settlement should be then I'm sure there would be some provision to this effect.

Social source share

I've never heard of him Paul, I'll ask around later and come back to you.

Nick

Ut could be that this (so cauled dealer) is using a bogas name, and is proboerbly nown to us all.... Just a thought Nick!!!!!
Social source share

Ut could be that this (so cauled dealer) is using a bogas name, and is proboerbly nown to us all.... Just a thought Nick!!!!!

glyn - see post No 33. the person in question has already been identified.

cheers

Shane

Social source share

As you get into your 40s most of us will have had some sort of break up.

when it gets to the records then it gets personal

advice

a) retaliate by hitting her in HER SHOE collection, especially the Jimmy Choo's--

cool.gif go through the wardrobe and count up all the stuff she bought when you were together that still has the labels on it, (trust me the'll be loads) tot up the value of 1 & 2 =x

c) Records you already owned when you got together DON'T COUNT, only the stuff you bought when you began to co-habit. list the value AT COST as you have no intention of selling it = y

deduct x from y and I guarentee she'll OWE YOU money :)

Social source share

What a frightening prospect, i'd do everything within my power to put the fear of God into my opposite number, and if that failed...i'd smash everyone into a million pieces......

Hi Brett i have'nt read all the posting on this thread but yours sounds intresting smashing everyone into a million pieces all them years of collecting and spending money we all know the laws is an ass no way man get a good mate or a trusting one to nick every f**king record keep it low for about two years atleast you get to play him if you to honest in this world you just get shit on.

Billy :)

Social source share

As far as I know statute law doesn't disallow a pre-nuptial agreement but todate the courts have only been willing to give them passing consideration before awarding the bigger half to the ex-wife :)

Divorce....to remove a man's wallet though his testicles!!!!

HA HA HA ! Fantastic post, cheered me up no end. :)
Social source share

I`m not married but i have an agreement with my girlfriend that if...sorry darling WHEN we get married if anything should go wrong down the line i take all the records and she has no claim on any piece of vinyl. We will get it drawn up legally by a lawyer and both agree to its contents...sign it....stick it in the loft, forget about it and live happily ever after.......hopefully!!!

Chris

Social source share

Guest Doris

Adopting the glass half full line............................... as this guy is not a northern expert perhaps the valuations could be in your favour ??? :unsure: However, a standby realistic one could be obtained ........................ :rolleyes:

Life aint always bad - when I got divorced I got to keep all my records and he took all the 'normal stuff' it came down to personal possessions in the judges eyes

:lol:

Optomistic Doris

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

Your friend could argue that he bought the majority of the records new at the time of release. As most of them are likely to be from the 60's or 70's (which I guess might be well before the marriage took place) it would be difficult for the 'soon-to-be-ex' to prove otherwise. This could possibly help provide some damage limitation?

Brian

Social source share

I have to agree with this, with my seperation; we amically decided to split all our cd,s and non northern 50/50 ie mine , yours mine yours etc........secret was to premtive it and sort them out prior to what you want and then go through the process of one for you and one for me... that way i got what i wanted... i did the same with the northern and lost all my scratched and re issued tunes..but then again i,m a devious welshman :-)

6 years later she asked if i wanted to buy them back..... i did and at a very reasonable price...

It is a horrible time and wouldn,t wish it on anyone.. good luck

pete m

Social source share

Guest Jimmy Scriv

This is typical of our divorce laws. When I split up from my wife not only did I have to pay for child maintenance, no complaint, but her solicitor asked for extra money to pay for Hamster food and bedding for the pet hamster! Not just that but I did not get any access rights to hamster, could not take him out for a spin in his wheel, could not take him for a Sunday drink in the pub beer garden.

In the words of Williams and Watson 'I can live cheaper by myself, don't need no woman to help me starve to death.'

But hey I'm not bitter!

Social source share

Your friend could argue that he bought the majority of the records new at the time of release. As most of them are likely to be from the 60's or 70's (which I guess might be well before the marriage took place) it would be difficult for the 'soon-to-be-ex' to prove otherwise. This could possibly help provide some damage limitation?

Brian

If only it was that simple.....as I said before when you are married in the eyes of the law there is no yours and mine its a "matrimonial assett" and its the intrisic value not cost price. The aristocricy have tried every trick to get great works of art undervalued for years.

BH

Social source share

Brian

Great Idea

have Just told the other Half i want a Split

and she's getting the Dog and kids

Do you think its gonna work? :ohmy:

Pete

Social source share

Does anybody get a divorce and not come out screwed over something? Its time pre nuptial agreements were compulsary, especially with a blokes 45s.

Ed

Deffinately act sooner than later!

Being over 40 and 17 years in your bound to have barneys. 3 years ago we had one big one.

No one else involved ,No violence or alchohula was to blame just one of those differences of opinions that sometimes goes too far. Upshot she went to her mums for a cool off ,so i thought?

Couple of weeks later Bloody Divorce proceedings seemed to start when a letter from her brief landed on the step! Full of B****ll**cks legal jargon very intimidating all geared to whats the estate worth!!??

Low and behold "we beleive you have a NS collection of records which will need to be catologed and would form part of the estate for valuation!!!

We got together and i asked her what did she want the records for after all they meant the world to me

as she well knew and if she could give me a handfull of titles,artist and labels of records she could have the lot! (only knows 1 Mighty Lover/Ideals! loves it) Besides which the record collecting had started for me in 66 with a copy of the Tams i heard at a local youth club and went from there to other youth clubs,Any likely shop with a back room box,pocket money at 2 shillings a newie from paper rounds,in fact the majority was collected way before we had even met!

She told me that she had not asked her brief for any records but just mentioned it to him when he gave her suggestions of what assests i might have!

In other words he was having a go at me(allbeit in her interest and on her behalf) in his own ruthless way and not under her instruction!

If you have come through life buying masses of showaddywaddy G glitter B C Rollers Val doonican etc etc Briefs are not interested in it BUT mention NS and alot are well clued up as to what that can mean£££

There was alot of other stuff her brief was shananagin around with that also surprised my wife but ime not going into that

Just to say that divorce lawyers can get pretty ruthless in causing more friction between parties but at the end of the day youre just £signs to them.It all results in more letters between parties meaning more ££ for his final bill.

What they dont take into account is besides having them since you were a kid is EX-

Did you make money DJing (even if it did only get you a free night out)contributing to income all the same!

Did you make money selling records to help for a family holiday to spain? or for that new washing machine!

Did you split the bill,Mortgage,Lecky,gas,p tax etc and then youve got your spends she has hers

She spends £50 on hairdressers and £50 new shoes

You get out the Bic,Have em re soled ,buy some second hand records with whats left!

Think someone mentioned earlier about the guy who spends his on Football Fags and Booze!Good point.

We managed to sort ourselves out and everything is Roseyish for now but who knows?

But it was scarry so i constructed a letter stating that the records were not mine nor hers but would be our youngest sons when hes 21 and that i was merely managing the collection for him.That she had no other interest in them other than to listen to them which we both signed.This was then sent(( Registered ! ))to myself and is safe upstairs just in case its ever needed which i hope it isnt.

Small indiffrences can really escalate into full on wars when the Lawyers get involved its there job and they love it.The dirtier the better, to them its just ££££s ...

The whole procedure is designed to drag out as much as they can regardless of how sympathetic they sound.

This advice is the best i can give ,Try to sit down together and rationally talk it through between yourselves,Be fair and human if thats possible, Theres more to happiness than just ££s although i know££s help. Weve all got to get through it somehow and the fact that a guy loves is soul and collects says to me that deep down hes a good guy with good Heart,And Divorce is hard enough on the Soul to start with!

Social source share

One more snippet The tools of your proffession can NOT be taken from you as part of a Divorce settlement! YOU NEED THEM TO LIVE.Give up your day job and Spin discs for a living FULL; time...?? Worth a thought!??

Social source share

One more snippet The tools of your proffession can NOT be taken from you as part of a Divorce settlement! YOU NEED THEM TO LIVE.Give up your day job and Spin discs for a living FULL; time...?? Worth a thought!??

Just in case Soliciters are looking here? How do they work this out?

All These were Buy it Nows and in the last 7 days! Apologies to JM for using his latest site prices for the example!

Fats Domino/ABC/Packin up----------------------- £2----------£15

Tams/ABC/What do you do ----------------------- £2.57------£15

Anita Bryant/Columbia/Mind playing tricks-----£2.57------£50

Lowell Fulsom/Kent/What the heck---------------£3.42-------£25

Lee Lamont/BBeat/Crying man---------------------£6.86-------£15

Dramatics/Volt4029! your love was strange----£1.50-------£10

Bobby Hendricks/Sue/Itchy twitchy feeling----£1.71-------£25

Smoke/J Bridge/have i really lost you------------£5.71-------£30

Dodie West/Checker/Deep of the night----------£3.14--------£30

Lulu/Decca/Leave a little love------------------------£4.57-------£25

Harold Burrage/Mpac/Got to find a way----------£8.00-------£20

Lou Rawls/Capitol/Bring me your heartaches--£2.57-------£15

Dodie West/Decca/Going out of my head-------£6.50-------£15

Darrow Fletcher/Uni/Changing by the minute---£4.57-------£40

+ 4 more i havent got a price on-

Martha&Vandellas/Gordy/Go ahead and laugh £0.86p---?????????

Angelo and the initials??? congress/I should have listened £2.86--?????

Ray Charles/Tangerine/Sidewinder---------------£2.86 ?????????????

OC Smith/Columbia/House next door-----------£2.57???????????????

Total Spent less $35 P+P==============£64.84 -- £310.

So do i owe £155 as half settlement or half of my initial spend of £64.84 = £32.42 ??

Which is my spends anyway??? whistling.gif

Social source share

Guest Seagrave

There was a great line on Channel 5's Two And A Half Men last night (yes, I like to watch the occasional dumb American Sit-com to unwind in the evenings!)

When asked why he wasn't the marrying kind, Charlie said:

'If I've got someone to clean my house and do my shopping, and I'm getting plenty of action, why would I want to give away half my stuff?'

Why indeed?!

Stay single!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert