What Other Music Floats Your Boat?

Little Richard, Little Willie John - all of it, Chuck Berry, most authentic Rock 'n' Roll, The Beatles, Mud Les Grey was a genious...lol

Mark Bicknell.

don't know about genius but Les Grey was crackers when he'd had a few :yes: i remember him trying to scale the water tower outside the naafi at RAF Digby when he'd finished his gig back in the late 70s. :(

I'll almost go to anything live and what I buy is similarly a huge mixed-bag - listening to 'It's Immaterial' 'Song' LP at the mo :D

Social source share

• Replies 144
  • Views 6.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

The more open minded you are towards music, the better person you become. It just takes some perseverance to find what you like. Currently listening to the Arctic Monkeys(brilliant lyrics), The Editors, The Go! Team (some Northern Samples in there), George Formby, The Killers and thats just what I bought in the last few weeks.

Social source share

The more open minded you are towards music, the better person you become. It just takes some perseverance to find what you like. Currently listening to the Arctic Monkeys(brilliant lyrics), The Editors, The Go! Team (some Northern Samples in there), George Formby, The Killers and thats just what I bought in the last few weeks.

arctic monkeys lyrics :(

thats cos they are from my neck of the woods :D

for the sheffield lads on here - the arctic monkeys are from High Green and went to my school, Ecclesfield :yes:

Shane

Social source share

Thats a cotton picking lie you varmet :(

poor little gerbils :yes::D

on a serious note i thought the brits last night was excellent. you dont have to particularly like the artists to enjoy the show imo. prince, gorillaz and kanye west did amazing sets. the 200 schoolkids singing and dancing with the gorillaz was awesome. i also loved the huge black orchestra doing a variation of curtis mayfield 'move on up' with kanye west.(and those golden girls :( ) kaiser chiefs are always good value for money.

Shane

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Like the rest on hear, mainly soul but also listen to plenty of other stuff.

Over the last five or six years i have got into blues in a big way! Not just the

old stuff, which i do love, but the bands playing the blues circuit now.

Check out: King Pleasure and the Biscuit Boys, Reverend Doc, Martin Trimble, Sean Webster,

Danny Bryant's Red Eye Band, Bluz, Sugarland Slim plus loads more!

Better still come to this years Maryport Blues festival!

Gary

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

poor little gerbils :yes::(

on a serious note i thought the brits last night was excellent. you dont have to particularly like the artists to enjoy the show imo. prince, gorillaz and kanye west did amazing sets. the 200 schoolkids singing and dancing with the gorillaz was awesome. i also loved the huge black orchestra doing a variation of curtis mayfield 'move on up' with kanye west.(and those golden girls :D ) kaiser chiefs are always good value for money.

Shane

Just one question though Shane who was that old man with a guitar playing sub standard pub rock - :(

Edited by Richard Bergman
Social source share

also love billy bragg, great lyrics and soulful tunes and vocals IMO though not my political cup of tea. same could be said of the redskins, great band of the mid to late 80s.

re funk, which a few people have namechecked, it's quite weird for a soul boy but i absolutely hate funk.

given the people who made it, the strangest thing is that it totally lacks soul to me.

IMO it's what happens when soul musicians run out of ideas and take too many drugs.

respect to those who like it but it's not for me :yes:

Social source share

Just one question though Shane who was that old man with a guitar playing sub standard pub rock - :(

was it that guy who used to be in status quo? :yes:

to be honest i have always had a real soft spot for paul weller. between 1990 and 1995 me and the ex bird saw him over 15 times.

not a fan of the new stuff. however, the wildwood lp was amazing.

Forget all your hang-ups about music - i would have loved to have been at the front when he did 'town called malice'. school disco stuff - will always remain in my heart :D

Shane

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

really into the arctic monkeys at the moment

also, the rakes, dogs and the paddingtons

loads of great 3 chord punk around at the moment and great all great live bands to boot

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

poor little gerbils :yes::(

on a serious note i thought the brits last night was excellent. you dont have to particularly like the artists to enjoy the show imo. prince, gorillaz and kanye west did amazing sets. the 200 schoolkids singing and dancing with the gorillaz was awesome. i also loved the huge black orchestra doing a variation of curtis mayfield 'move on up' with kanye west.(and those golden girls :D ) kaiser chiefs are always good value for money.

Shane

Have you seen the winners? Bland supermarket rockers Coldplay for Most Boring Band On Whole Planet, James C*nt for singing tedious shit in the style of a constipated weasel (and looking like one) - voted for by The Sun Readership - thanks for that, the Sun Readership ....a hotbed of musical opinion and thought......

really into the arctic monkeys at the moment

also, the rakes, dogs and the paddingtons

loads of great 3 chord punk around at the moment and great all great live bands to boot

The Arctic Monkeys are great ...fantastic wordplay and social comment from a unique perspective....

The Go Team are playing in Manchester tonight have been offered a ticket but have somehting planned...shame that.....

Social source share

Have you seen the winners? Bland supermarket rockers Coldplay for Most Boring Band On Whole Planet, James C*nt for singing tedious shit in the style of a constipated weasel (and looking like one) - voted for by The Sun Readership - thanks for that, the Sun Readership ....a hotbed of musical opinion and thought......

i agree :yes:

coldplay :(

true story this - i have a friend who joined the coldplay forum. she met a guy and got married to him pretty soon after. they are both born again christians now. i think this is enough of a reason to avoid coldplay :D

Shane

ps. i am only being lighthearted. please do not take offence. i think its fine to get married :(:(

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

The Arctic Monkeys are great ...fantastic wordplay and social comment from a unique perspective....

The Go Team are playing in Manchester tonight have been offered a ticket but have somehting planned...shame though.....

one of the guys in my office is constantly raving about the go team at the moment.

also just managed to get my hands on tickets for Dirty Pretty Things at the Astoria in London and also a one of Primal Scream gig there too...bring it on

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

i agree :yes:

coldplay :(

true story this - i have a friend who joined the coldplay forum. she met a guy and got married to him pretty soon after. they are both born again christians now. i think this is enough of a reason to avoid coldplay :(

Shane

ps. i am only being lighthearted. please do not take offence. i think its fine to get married :D:(

Being born again Christians, they had to get married soon after as he was desperate to get his leg over I'd imagine.. :(:D

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Funny, some bloke told Rich he looked like James Blunt on another forum the other day :(:D:yes:

You utter hag...I told you never to say owt..... :(

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Looking down my CD rack, Neil Young, AC/DC (with Bon Scott), Teenage Fanclub, The Jam/Weller, Buzzcock/Clash/Pistols, blues, modern jazz, Black Sabbath, Crosby Stills and Nash, Spiritualized, Beach Boys, Walker Bros, Spacemen 3, Dinosaur Jr, Lemonheads, Mighty Lemon Drops, Jesus and Mary Chain, Small Faces, Rod Stewart (early), Kinks (early)...the list is endless. But soul music first and foremost.

Can't forget the irrepressable Bon Scott...the anniversary of his death is on Feb 19th
:(
Me....Cream, Captain Beefheart, Early Stones, Velvet Underground, JJ Cale, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Snr, Jimmie Lodgson, Ska, Rocksteady, Lounge, John Mayer, Donald Fagen/ Steelye Dan, Chopin, Mozart, Nat King Cole, Patti Page, Peggy Lee, Tino Rossi, Debussy, Ambrose, Al Bowlly, doo wop, jumpin' jive.....have you got another millenium for me to list everything? but above everything - soul.....

Can't forget the irrepressable Bon Scott...the anniversary of his death is on Feb 19th
Me....Cream, Captain Beefheart, Early Stones, Velvet Underground, JJ Cale, Willie Nelson, Hank Williams Snr, Jimmie Lodgson, Ska, Rocksteady, Lounge, John Mayer, Donald Fagen/ Steelye Dan, Chopin, Mozart, Nat King Cole, Patti Page, Peggy Lee, Tino Rossi, Debussy, Ambrose, Al Bowlly, doo wop, jumpin' jive.....have you got another millenium for me to list everything? but above everything - soul.....

Gorillaz, Black Eyed Peas.....nothing much in the modern charty stuff.....but hey - Leo Sayer at number 1........... :thumbsup: Good for him.........

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Gorillaz, Black Eyed Peas.....nothing much in the modern charty stuff.....but hey - Leo Sayer at number 1...........
:thumbsup:
Good for him.........

Oh bollox........Chuck Berry, Fats Domino.....Dr Buzzards Original Savannah Band, EWF, Dusty Springfield, Ray Gelatto, Five Keys, Cues, Frank Sinatra, Patsy Cline.......Joe Turner, Lavern Baker, Ray Charles..........Slade, Family, Steve Winwood......

Social source share

obvious mod 45s (Action, Artwoods, Eyes, Birds, Who etc)

early 80's synth pop especially Devo, Japan, Tubeway Army and *many many* more

60's Latin soul 45s

Hammond jazz/soul 45 and albums

US releases by UK 60's pop/Beat bands (i.e. US releases by mersey beat acts, small faces, who etc)

The Zombies, Early Mothers of Invention verve stuff, Beach Boys

'classic' pop disco from the late 70's

medway scene records, albums, memorabillia etc. (see my site www.medwaypowerhouse.com esp the Claim, The Dentists, The Prisoners, Milkshakes and many many more)

and probably more besides.... :thumbsup:

Social source share

I love British 60 Ts pop music (small faces, yardbirds, procul harlem , kinks & most of the mersey beat sounds) Had a flirt with prog rock in early 70 Ts & I still love Bowie's Hunky Dory & Ziggy Stardusts L.P.s I never liked punk or heavy metal.I like male vocalists. I love Scott Walker & don't laugh, Matt Munro. I've been ridiculed for spelling Otis's surname wrong, so I appologise in advance if I've made any other errors such as admitting to liking dear old Matt. :thumbsup: Regards Ada p.s good question

Matt Munroe. About as far away fom soul music as you can get. Nevertheless, I've got a small soft spot for him too. Under rated and under appreciated, he had superb tone and a delicate gift for phrasing. Also copped for some cracking songs from the best of Britain's Tin Pan Alley.

On the subject of MOR stuff, my girlfriend is a huge fan of Doris Day. It's got to be said, she was a great actress, but an even greater singer. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but again; fantastic tone, and gorgeous arrangements. And, yes, I realise she is something of a gay icon, and no I'm not :(

My other loves include ska and reggae, blues (if it's earthy like John Lee Hooker). Folk does nothing for me, I just don't get it - and jazz is ok if you're stoned.

But...

My love affair with black American soul music goes back 36 years. I may flirt with other musical genres, but I'd rather hear the bridge from Just Can't Live My Life, than anything else on the planet.

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

All the usuals.... Apart from Soul....

Rhythm & Blues, Funk, Jazz, Who,Stones,Small Faces, Humble Pie, Faces, Beatles,Kinks,Action,Jam, Style Council,Solo Weller, Slade, Sex Pistols, Clash, X-Ray Spex, New Order, Stone Roses,Happy Mondays,Black Grape, Primal Scream, Oasis, Simon & Garfunkel, Fleetwood Mac, Mamas & Papas, Lloyd Cole, Psychedelic Furs, Comsat Angels, Aztec Camera, Associates, Big Audio Dynamite, Orange Juice, The Cure, Roxy Music, Bowie, Led Zep, Doors, U2, Sheryl Crow, Texas, Stereo MC's,Faithless, Green Day, Foo Fighters, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Beethoven, Tchaikovsky,Mozart,Wagner.....

All to a greater or lesser extent and depending on my mood / state of mind! :(

Missed someone out there Rowly haven't you?

I'll give you a small clue. You have an ENORMOUS oil painting of the lead singer hanging on the wall at one end of one of your living rooms. Does that help jog your memory at all? :(:(:thumbsup:

Am I the only Country and Western fan here? Pah!

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Matt Munroe. About as far away fom soul music as you can get. Nevertheless, I've got a small soft spot for him too. Under rated and under appreciated, he had superb tone and a delicate gift for phrasing. Also copped for some cracking songs from the best of Britain's Tin Pan Alley.

On the subject of MOR stuff, my girlfriend is a huge fan of Doris Day. It's got to be said, she was a great actress, but an even greater singer. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but again; fantastic tone, and gorgeous arrangements. And, yes, I realise she is something of a gay icon, and no I'm not

My other loves include ska and reggae, blues (if it's earthy like John Lee Hooker). Folk does nothing for me, I just don't get it - and jazz is ok if you're stoned.

But...

My love affair with black American soul music goes back 36 years. I may flirt with other musical genres, but I'd rather hear the bridge from Just Can't Live My Life, than anything else on the planet.

Dayo....Just can't live my life without youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu.........But Doris is a goddess - take me on a sentimental journey

I'll give you a small clue. You have an ENORMOUS oil painting of the lead singer hanging on the wall at one end of one of your living rooms. Does that help jog your memory at all?
:(:(:(

Andy, come and bend over my knee NOW....don't you read any of my posts :angry: Jimmie Lodgson, Hank Williams Snr, Willie Nelson, Louvin Brothers, Patsy Cline............old school C&W rocks

Social source share

Happy mondays

black grape

massive attack

dj shadow

primal scream

the boss

stephen fretwell

Thats about it these days. Used to love so many bands but now I tend to think they are a bit crap. As for new music, HA, forget it. When i hear people rant and rave about bands like kaiser chiefs and arctic monkeys I just smile to myself and think "they have no idea....."

Social source share

Never been a chart /rock person . Still buy / listen to classic Blues / Jazz / Ska / 6ts UK mod stuff / but on CD these days..

Used to collect all types of black music - but selling everything off now as I just want to concentrate on soul 45s / LP /12s. So all ' soulful ' house / mo wax / dance type suff / 90s R&B Swing ( :thumbsup: ) etc all going...

Sick of most modern stuff - ' next big thing ' type bands... yeah right...whatever.... if these people are all so talented why does it take most of em 2 / 3 years to make a couple of albums. . . . Then you never hear of em again. . . I worked for HMV for 10 years and obviously heard everything and anythjing.. never had an effect on me like soul music has done. by the time I left - everything sounded stale and samey.

Arctic Monkeys ? Lets see how long they'll be around...

Jamiroquai - Love him or hate him - I think the guys got talent..Same for Prince - Going strong now for nearly 30 years...

Only CD in my collection which resembles ' pop / rock ' ?

Lampchop - Nixon - Now theres an album....

ATB

Rich

Social source share

Guest ScooterNik

A quick glance at the cds shows from the 'stuff I've bought to listen to' (as opposed to stuff i've bought for when someone with no taste asks for a request...)

Genres:

Early blues

Rocksteady

2-tone ska + stuff by later incarnations of those bands

American ska

Japanese ska (lots of really good stuff there)

European ska (ditto)(BTW there are huge differences in approach from each of the above)

Punk

Psychobilly

Jazz

Specific bands:

Ordinary Boys

Dead 60s (Currently getting hammered on my decks)

Ramones

Led Zepplin

Depends on what mood I'm in, but I'd say Northern takes up about 40% of my cds and about 75% of my vinyl.

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Love Hard House and Techno

The Age of Love by Jam n Spoon is a TUNE

Collect Noom,Harthouse,tinrib,and loads more

And it goes without saying that i love Ska n Reggae helped compile Trojans mod reggae boxset with me mate Dave Edwards

Also love 50s 60s Rnb,modern jazz,latin,spagetti western soundtracks,bacherach n david

Bowie n Bolan

My old man is a jazz musician,plays the trombone and was playing the 100 club in the 60s n 70s with chris barber and the colin symons jazzband thats where i must of got my love of music from

Al H

Al H

I can attest to Alan's eclectic taste in music.......we share the same room at work
we surprise each other.........How could I omit the Aladdin Insane??? Bowie.....pure genius, Mott the Hoople, Lou Reed (post Velvet), Sarah Vaughan - joint favourite 'Broken Hearted Melody'
Ella, Frys Turkish Delight, Robinson Crusoe.....

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Never been a chart /rock person . Still buy / listen to classic Blues / Jazz / Ska / 6ts UK mod stuff / but on CD these days..

Used to collect all types of black music - but selling everything off now as I just want to concentrate on soul 45s / LP /12s. So all ' soulful ' house / mo wax / dance type suff / 90s R&B Swing (
) etc all going...

Sick of most modern stuff - ' next big thing ' type bands... yeah right...whatever.... if these people are all so talented why does it take most of em 2 / 3 years to make a couple of albums. . . . Then you never hear of em again. . . I worked for HMV for 10 years and obviously heard everything and anythjing.. never had an effect on me like soul music has done. by the time I left - everything sounded stale and samey.

Jamiroquai - Love him or hate him - I think the guys got talent..Same for Prince - Going strong now for nearly 30 years...

ATB

Rich

ex HMV employees of the world unite - me, Oxford Street, 1977
How could I forget MASTERS AT WORK, Junior Vasquez, all the uplifting house, Hooj, Nightmares on Wax, Ninja....Blue Note..........where do you stop....

Social source share

Guest Andy BB

I can attest to Alan's eclectic taste in music.......we share the same room at work
we surprise each other.........How could I omit the Aladdin Insane??? Bowie.....pure genius, Mott the Hoople, Lou Reed (post Velvet), Sarah Vaughan - joint favourite 'Broken Hearted Melody'
Ella, Frys Turkish Delight, Robinson Crusoe.....

Have they stuck you away in the basement by any chance? Have you ever had a visitor? :(

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

Have they stuck you away in the basement by any chance? Have you ever had a visitor?

We are in the basement - in an office with no window, no heating and no.....nothing really....we're like the Japanese soldiers who walk out of the jungle 50 years after the war has ended - blinking, into the sunlight and a bit bewildered that the world has moved on without us
we're still playing 40 year old music.......Kaiser Chiefs, Coldplay.........
who are they......and you're very welcome to visit our world.........it's like entering an isolation tank.....

Edited by vinylvixen
Social source share

ex HMV employees of the world unite - me, Oxford Street, 1977
How could I forget MASTERS AT WORK, Junior Vasquez, all the uplifting house, Hooj, Nightmares on Wax, Ninja....Blue Note..........where do you stop....

Wow - 1977 ? When a record store was just that . . . easy to collect all sorts when working at HMV - Just have to stop and take stock now . . . I'm stock piling my soul 45s for retirement - grump old man smelling of p*** playing soul 45s at full blast in a retirement home somewhere by the sea!

ATB

Rich

Social source share

On the subject of MOR stuff, my girlfriend is a huge fan of Doris Day. It's got to be said, she was a great actress, but an even greater singer. I wouldn't call myself a fan, but again; fantastic tone, and gorgeous arrangements. And, yes, I realise she is something of a gay icon, and no I'm not :thumbsup:

Your right, she had such a beautiful voice. Loved her acting in the musical films to. Also loved the Small Faces, bit of Jazz & Blues, nothing to deep though , even liked Roy Wood after splitting fron the group, in early 70's.

Social source share

I'd rather hear the bridge from Just Can't Live My Life, than anything else on the planet.

:thumbsup: quality selection.

but three sounds i'd like to hear even more:

1. Knock, knock. Mr Collins? We're from Camelot...you know that rollover?

2. Ring, ring. Dan? Hi, it's Angelina. Look, Brad's out. Get your ass over here, now!

3. '...if it's possible to build a love as strong as a pyramid...that lasts as long as the sands of time...'

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Used to collect all types of black music - but selling everything off now as I just want to concentrate on soul 45s / LP /12s. So all ' soulful ' house / mo wax / dance type suff / 90s R&B Swing ( :thumbsup: ) etc all going...

ATB

Rich

Lambchop are fantastic...such an exceptional and single minded songwriter is Mr Wagner.....

"How I quit smoking"... is my personal fave....

Social source share

I'll give you a small clue. You have an ENORMOUS oil painting of the lead singer hanging on the wall at one end of one of your living rooms. Does that help jog your memory at all? :(:thumbsup::(

Listen you Scouse Moron - I keep telling you.

It's my darling wifey who likes that ugly Ginger haired Manc tosser (no offence to any Ginger haired manc tossers who may frequent these boards! :( ) not I. And it aint no oil painting! :(

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Vic Godard and The Subway Sect.....

Vic was part of the legendary punk shindig at the 100 club in 76..( the bands debut infact)

The band fused the diy punk ethic with a sense of melody and playful lyricsim.....

The Subway sect went onto become the Jo Boxers but Vic remains shrouded in mystery and iconic....

https://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...:ua9ksh2ea3pg~T

Social source share

Guest Richard Bergman

Vic was part of the legendary punk shindig at the 100 club in 76..( the bands debut infact)

The band fused the diy punk ethic with a sense of melody and playful lyricsim.....

The Subway sect went onto become the Jo Boxers but Vic remains shrouded in mystery and iconic....

https://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&t...:ua9ksh2ea3pg~T

Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

or did he just get lucky?

Wow - 1977 ? When a record store was just that . . . easy to collect all sorts when working at HMV - Just have to stop and take stock now . . . I'm stock piling my soul 45s for retirement - grump old man smelling of p*** playing soul 45s at full blast in a retirement home somewhere by the sea!

ATB

Rich

We could commandear the breakfast room and smell of piss together.......got a Freddy Butler lp on Kapp for 25p at HMV's - swopped it for Angelina on J&W and some cash....
happy days.....

Social source share

:( quality selection.

but three sounds i'd like to hear even more:

1. Knock, knock. Mr Collins? We're from Camelot...you know that rollover?

2. Ring, ring. Dan? Hi, it's Angelina. Look, Brad's out. Get your ass over here, now!

3. '...if it's possible to build a love as strong as a pyramid...that lasts as long as the sands of time...'

Chuckling :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest musicden786

Nick Drake

Tim Hardin

Kinks

Faces

weller

Stephen Fretwell

ska/rock steady/roots

who

stones

blues/jazz

Ted Hawkins

Joni mitchell

Dylan

PLus much more...Room for it all..

No mention of British Brass Band Music Stevie?

( Not to be confused with American Military Band Music).

British Brass Band Music had a significant influence on the development of backing tracks for Northern Sounds, but thats another story for the experts to tell.

Listen to The Bass Trombone on- IM SITTING IN-TNT 282-SHEP. You will hear the same chords played by a good Yorkshire Brass Band this weekend.

Have a good one. Denis.

Social source share

Must be living a sheltered life, have'nt heard of many artists mentioned or even styles of music "Japanese Ska, Psychobilly, Freakbeat" ...............obviously there is more music out there to be enjoyed which does not come under the Soul umbrella so to speak.

Edited by ShaneH
Social source share

Guest vinylvixen

British Brass Band Music had a significant influence on the development of backing tracks for Northern Sounds, but thats another story for the experts to tell.

Listen to The Bass Trombone on- IM SITTING IN-TNT 282-SHEP. You will hear the same chords played by a good Yorkshire Brass Band this weekend.

Have a good one. Denis.

Grins.......Brass & Colliery Bands were the first section that I was given to look after at HMV's :-) I wonder if Mike Terry or Don Drummond ever worked down t'pit ?

Social source share

Detroit Techno (Atkins, May, Saunderson, Anthony Shake Shakir, Los Hermanos, Dj Rolando, Carl Craig, Red Planet etc etc)

A different world from Soul; my dirty, rough mistress so to speak :D

I think we have a member of SS for bringing this music to the countries attention :ohmy:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert