Ebay Gazumping?

Guest Luath

I put a snipe bid on JB & The Hawks - Combination Boogie, a reissue which I wanted for my jukebox, I meant to bid $36.66 but I actually bid $366.66, in the morning I'd won the record but at something like $275 because the other bidder thought it was an original! So I hade to grovel to the seller and tell him what has happened and he let me off buying it! I got one about 3 weeks later for $20 anyway.

So I reckon in the last 10 years I have probably done between 4 and 6 thousand snipes and the amounts of disasters and failed bids are under 20.

=======================================================================================================================

I put a snipe bid on JB & The Hawks - Combination Boogie, a reissue which I wanted for my jukebox,

=======================================================================================================================

There is posh now!!! :yes: Did they ever invent a jukebox that didn't cause damage to records....to the degree that you could put your ovo stuff on with peace of mind?

Social source share

I put a snipe bid on JB & The Hawks - Combination Boogie, a reissue which I wanted for my jukebox,

There is posh now!!! :yes: Did they ever invent a jukebox that didn't cause damage to records....to the degree that you could put your ovo stuff on with peace of mind?

Nothing posh about the jukebox mate, it's hardly a wurlitzer, cost me £700 from Wolverhampton indoor market. Massive booming sound and doesn't damage the records.

So if anyone wants a jukebox, I have one for sale, £700....

Social source share

When exactly does Gixen place the bid? This is my first time using it and i can't find that info.

oh.. and while i'm here - how much is ebay fee on a record sold for 180$?

It usually puts the bid on with 3 seconds to go, obviously if your snipe bid has already been beaten by the time it's about to place the bid, then it won't bother bidding. I use it, it's good and it's free.

Jordi

Social source share

It usually puts the bid on with 3 seconds to go, obviously if your snipe bid has already been beaten by the time it's about to place the bid, then it won't bother bidding. I use it, it's good and it's free.

Jordi

This is effectively true but not exactly what happens. It does bid and the bid just doesn't go through because it's not above the max. It doesn't try to make a last second decision as to whether to bid or not. The only reason this might make a difference is if there was some weird last minute bid retraction situation, your bid would go through.

Social source share

the simple problem the post starter has is that hes not bidding enough to win and a sniper wont change that will it? you still have to post a limit and if its not enough you wont win? or have i got that wrong?

presumably there is not much advantage to using a sniper over bidding live yourself in the last few seconds other than not having to bid live, for example if its 4am when the auction finishes?

i quite like getting up at 4am to bid on something. never lost one doing that.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

The best method is the old fashioned approach .. write a message in the form a old fashioned polite letter to the seller !

It is free ..does'nt wait until the end of the auction ,yields some great results and saves all of that last minute adrenalin fueled heart attack .... :thumbup:

Sniping is so yesterday boys :wicked:

Social source share

the simple problem the post starter has is that hes not bidding enough to win and a sniper wont change that will it? you still have to post a limit and if its not enough you wont win? or have i got that wrong?

you have it wrong. you can put in your max, but giving people a chance to respond will enable the psychology of the auction and allow people to rebid. they then can overbid you or at the least knock up your bid. sniping removes the psychology of the auction. you should know your true max though so if you are outbid by 1 cent you're not mad.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

But you would have done if my sniper was set at higher than your bid...and I'd still be tucked up in bed

if your auntie had b*****ks shed be your uncle.

Swearing edited.

Please remember that people read this at work, where they have filters for swearing.

Ta muchly.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

my pleasure. im spent on intelligence by Friday pm

Sorry look I wasn't being a smartarse, it was just when you said that you'd never lost one by getting up at 4am in the morning, it sounded as if that was the secret to winning, physically getting up out of bed and bidding :lol:

maybe I read it wrong...

Social source share

But you would have done if my sniper was set at higher than your bid...and I'd still be tucked up in bed

In the early 2000's when I was still doing These Old Shoes, somebody was having a right moan about missing a copy of Deep Dark Secret which had finished at about 3 am.

I owned up to being the winner (less than $50 - it wasn't that well known or in demand then) and the loser said "I didn't think anyone else would stay up to bid on it, bid right at the last moment and I didn't have time to bid again"

At this point, amid some sn*****ing, I admitted to being tucked up in bed asleep and explained snipe bidding (again not that common at the time) - his face was a picture :D

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sorry look I wasn't being a smartarse, it was just when you said that you'd never lost one by getting up at 4am in the morning, it sounded as if that was the secret to winning, physically getting up out of bed and bidding :lol:

maybe I read it wrong...

me neither. at the height of me doing this i was djing at least once a week so want was greater and snipers were not reliable so if i badly needed something getting up at 4am was the only sure fire way to do this. would bid in the last few seconds only. timewise maybe 5-7 years back.

if there was a secret its overbidding at the last second.only got hit once by buying a 30 tune for 80 quid

fact still remains thou if you lose an auction you didnt bid enough, no matter how you dress it up the art is judgement

Social source share

me neither. at the height of me doing this i was djing at least once a week so want was greater and snipers were not reliable so if i badly needed something getting up at 4am was the only sure fire way to do this. would bid in the last few seconds only. timewise maybe 5-7 years back.

if there was a secret its overbidding at the last second.only got hit once by buying a 30 tune for 80 quid

fact still remains thou if you lose an auction you didnt bid enough, no matter how you dress it up the art is judgement

I read you good and proper Jamie :)

I remember someone on here doing something similar ( over bidding ) and consequently waking up in the morning to find someone else had pushed his bid way higher than his expectation!

Shock horror moment ,but he did pay the fee .

However ,i have found that being courteous with sellers can get you a long way ...

I once made a snap decision ( wrong judgement ) and on impulse put a high bid and won the auction ,but I really didn't feel happy about it ,so contacted the seller ,gave him a grovelling apology and told him I'd made a real cock up with my bid and couldn't afford to pay it ..

He was happy to let me off and alter the eBay to suit .

eBay has the facility to allow sellers to do this so they don't get charged the sale fee .

I offered to repay him his listing fee so he wasn't out of pocket but he didn't want it .

As long as you communicate with seller ,you shouldn't incur any non payment strikes etc .

Me ..I love eBay :)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!