Ebay Gazumping?

Guest Luath

Is this possible? Getting sick of being out bidded on records even when putting in a last minute "massive" bid to try and assure i win. I have heard stories of programs that will automatically up your bit a nano second after someone out bids you.....is this true or bull.....?

Social source share

not sniping takes the fun out of bidding, it's like watching two slow fat people running a race and thinking they're going to win while getting lapped by the real players

:P Sniping is like not watching the race at all but just seeing the result in the morning news.

:hatsoff2: - Kev

Edited by KevinKent
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

:P Sniping is like not watching the race at all but just seeing the result in the morning news.

actually it's like gambling, and watching the final seconds tick away to see what happens. honestly.

bidding early is only fun if you like losing money and auctions.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

this is where show handles used to be good, you could see people you know bidding and let them get it at a good price. in the early days when they stopped this around 2005 i think, i put my max in and saw one of my bids go from 800 dollars to 3500 in one click. could i have got it cheaper...... sniping is cruel................BUT EFFECTIVE

Social source share

actually it's like gambling, and watching the final seconds tick away to see what happens. honestly.

bidding early is only fun if you like losing money and auctions.

Ah yes, but that's bidding early Bob. I bid in the final seconds anyway, and if I really want something I'll stay up until any hour to bid. A couple of years back I won a nice item after managing to sneak away from the family during Christmas dinner.

IMO you can't beat the instant elation of winning by bidding in the closing seconds, followed immediately by that sinking feeling 'cos you've realised you are broke for the foreseeable future.

If I can't be on-line to bid - then I don't want it enough. If I resorted to sniping I reckon I could win far too many tempting pieces of vinyl that i didn't REALLY need and I'd be broke forever!

Each to their own.

Edited by KevinKent
Social source share

Ah yes, but that's bidding early Bob. I bid in the final seconds anyway, and if I really want something I'll stay up until any hour to bid. A couple of years back I won a nice item after managing to sneak away from the family during Christmas dinner.

IMO you can't beat the instant elation of winning by bidding in the closing seconds, followed immediately by that sinking feeling 'cos you've realised you are broke for the foreseeable future.

If I can't be on-line to bid - then I don't want it enough. If I resorted to sniping I reckon I could win far too many tempting pieces of vinyl that i didn't REALLY need and I'd be broke forever!

Each to their own.

you can do the same thing with the sniper. you can watch the auction and let the sniper do the work. although i guess waking up at all sorts of odd hours is taking to the next level and potentially more exciting.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Sniping can equal.....

Wow.....I'd forgotten I'd bid and I've won that at a cheap price! :)

or

Shit....I didn't even want that...I've already got it...just didn't want anyone else to get it cheaper than the price I paid last month! :huh:

:wicked: :wicked: :wicked:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

bullet_black.png

Posted Today, 09:57 AM

snapback.pngBrooky, on 26 November 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Shit....I didn't even want that...I've already got it...just didn't want anyone else to get it cheaper than the price I paid last month!

please explain how sniping vs. bidding manually leads to this. Thank you!

=================================================================================

Hi Boba

I was being a bit mischievious there....however, a grain of truth as well. Sometimes I'll acquire a long-time 'want' that hardly ever seems to turn up....it seems. Often find that once I get one....suddenly several will pop out of the woodwork. Sometimes I will stick a snipe on such a record for about the same as I paid for the previous copy hoping to pick it up for less than that which I paid for the initial copy.

I then keep the best condition copy and sell the other one. If I pick the record up for almost exactly the same price then probably won't make anything on the sale and thus all a bit of a waste of time.....that's the d'oh moment.

Bet you're sorry you asked now!!!!! :lol:

Regards

Brooky

Social source share

The only reason I use a snipe program is simply so that I don't have to show my hand at all. If I was to bid £50 on the first day of the auction then someone who really wants the record just has to keep going until he overtakes my £50. But if I don't bid, he probably thinks he's going to win it for £45 and then with five seconds left, whoops there goes my £50 bid and I win it.

And of course it also saves you having to physically be at your pc.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

The only reason I use a snipe program is simply so that I don't have to show my hand at all. If I was to bid £50 on the first day of the auction then someone who really wants the record just has to keep going until he overtakes my £50. But if I don't bid, he probably thinks he's going to win it for £45 and then with five seconds left, whoops there goes my £50 bid and I win it.

=============================================================================================================

Another positive on sniping.......it prevents red-wine fuelled 'gladiatorial' moments.........................."That bastard's trying to nick my record"....so I'll teach him/her a lesson by paying way over the odds for it!!!!!!! :ohmy:

That'll learn him!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Edited by Brooky
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

If you're perpetually broke as I am, then sniping has the benefit of helping you budget your record buying. By setting a snipe for the amount you have to spend and leaving it, you know that if someone sets one for higher and wins it then that's that. Rules out that last-minute "ehhh what the hell, another 20 quid wouldn't do any harm", and then you spend the rest of the week eating bare pasta or ramen noodles.

I used to be a staunch no-snipe kind of guy, but after losing far too many good records for pennies over the amount I bid, I caved and have never looked back.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

If you're perpetually broke as I am, then sniping has the benefit of helping you budget your record buying. By setting a snipe for the amount you have to spend and leaving it, you know that if someone sets one for higher and wins it then that's that. Rules out that last-minute "ehhh what the hell, another 20 quid wouldn't do any harm", and then you spend the rest of the week eating bare pasta or ramen noodles.

I used to be a staunch no-snipe kind of guy, but after losing far too many good records for pennies over the amount I bid, I caved and have never looked back.

Yes you are spot on, I was explaining this in another topic, I have a set price for more or less every record I bid on and unless it's exceptional, I never go over that figure, I win about 50% I would say but it does stop me getting in trouble.

Social source share

Ah well....I did ask lol.

I was raging at losing a bid last night with only seconds to go.......

Looks like I'm going to have to join the "snips" arms race after all.

I don't like it but also I don’t want to continue losing out on records I have been waiting for ages to turn up.

Oh hum.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i have started using gixen.com had to pay a one year subscription, used it for the first time sunday and lo and behold, won the auction and was still £15 under my highest bid, i will never know whether i would have ended up winning this item without or maybe getting into a bidding war with something in the last few minutes, ultimately i think my $6 annual subscription has already paid for itself and i shall certainly be using it regularly now

Social source share

Pete, I don't like to show my hand either. If a record has no bids and you set a snipe for it, does it remain at "no bids" (presuming someone else hasn't leapt in) until the closing seconds when your snipe takes effect? Or does it show you as a bidder with say a minimum bid and snipe ups it for you at the very end?

I'd sort of presumed that setting a snipe would show to all and sundry that there is interest in the item.

Social source share

Pete, I don't like to show my hand either. If a record has no bids and you set a snipe for it, does it remain at "no bids" (presuming someone else hasn't leapt in) until the closing seconds when your snipe takes effect? Or does it show you as a bidder with say a minimum bid and snipe ups it for you at the very end?

I'd sort of presumed that setting a snipe would show to all and sundry that there is interest in the item.

Yes it stays at no bids until your bid goes on - if thats what you're asking.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I like sniping because, as Pete says, you don't show your hand.

Putting a bid on a record can show that it is worth buying, the higher a price gets the more people see a record. If it is hidden away in the 99p soup with zero bids that is fine by me.

If you have already bid, somebody can just keep bidding until they outbid you, if you haven't bid nobody knows what your bid is going to be.

The ridiculously large snipe bid is a ridiculously stupid tactic unless you have a ridiculous amount of money. It only needs two people to employ this tactic for one of them to pay well over the odds and be ridiculed on here.

I have never seen a record that I "must have" at all costs, but then I don't have a ridiculous amount of money. If I don't win, I don't really care. Another one will come along eventually ................ usually.

Edited by paultp
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

I like sniping because, as Pete says, you don't show your hand.

Putting a bid on a record can show that it is worth buying, the higher a price gets the more people see a record. If it is hidden away in the 99p soup with zero bids that is fine by me.

If you have already bid, somebody can just keep bidding until they outbid you, if you haven't bid nobody knows what your bid is going to be.

The ridiculously large snipe bid is a ridiculously stupid tactic unless you have a ridiculous amount of money. It only needs two people to employ this tactic for one of them to pay well over the odds and be ridiculed on here.

I have never seen a record that I "must have" at all costs, but then I don't have a ridiculous amount of money. If I don't win, I don't really care. Another one will come along eventually ................ usually.

I put a snipe bid on JB & The Hawks - Combination Boogie, a reissue which I wanted for my jukebox, I meant to bid $36.66 but I actually bid $366.66, in the morning I'd won the record but at something like $275 because the other bidder thought it was an original! So I hade to grovel to the seller and tell him what has happened and he let me off buying it! I got one about 3 weeks later for $20 anyway.

So I reckon in the last 10 years I have probably done between 4 and 6 thousand snipes and the amounts of disasters and failed bids are under 20.

Social source share

What about sellers bidding on their own sales(with different accounts),to fleece desperate buyers? Often wondered bout this,especially where rarer vinyl is concerned.... Carl

Social source share

I was raging at losing a bid last night with only seconds to go.......

Looks like I'm going to have to join the "snips" arms race after all.

I'm not sure if I'm following the logic here - sniping only bids what you're prepared to pay. So it doesn't matter if you bid with 2 days to go, or 2 seconds to go - if someone else bids higher, you're not going to win it. I'm not saying don't use a snipe - just people seem to think "if that bid didn't come in right at the end, I would have won it" - except the person out-bidding you was always going to outbid you, no matter WHEN they placed their bid...

• Helpful 1
Social source share

And ebay gazzumping definitely DOES happen. When you win a bargain, someone else sees it - contacts the seller saying "that record should have sold for far more, I'll offer you $xxx for it." And then you get the old "sorry, my dog ate the record while I was packing it, I'll need to refund you" sob stories...

Social source share

i have started using gixen.com had to pay a one year subscription, used it for the first time sunday and lo and behold, won the auction and was still £15 under my highest bid, i will never know whether i would have ended up winning this item without or maybe getting into a bidding war with something in the last few minutes, ultimately i think my $6 annual subscription has already paid for itself and i shall certainly be using it regularly now

I thought Gixen was free. I use it and have never had to pay a subscription.

Jordi

Social source share

bullet_black.png

Posted Today, 09:57 AM

snapback.pngBrooky, on 26 November 2012 - 01:16 AM, said:

Shit....I didn't even want that...I've already got it...just didn't want anyone else to get it cheaper than the price I paid last month!

=================================================================================

Hi Boba

I was being a bit mischievious there....however, a grain of truth as well. Sometimes I'll acquire a long-time 'want' that hardly ever seems to turn up....it seems. Often find that once I get one....suddenly several will pop out of the woodwork. Sometimes I will stick a snipe on such a record for about the same as I paid for the previous copy hoping to pick it up for less than that which I paid for the initial copy.

I then keep the best condition copy and sell the other one. If I pick the record up for almost exactly the same price then probably won't make anything on the sale and thus all a bit of a waste of time.....that's the d'oh moment.

Bet you're sorry you asked now!!!!! :lol:

Regards

Brooky

for the record, if you're trying to keep the price up, bidding early is actually the best way to go. if you're trying to get another copy cheap and keep the best one and sell the other, sniping is the way to go...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!