What's The Rarest Record On Checker?

Guest hipcityhipster

Guest hipcityhipster

I was talking to Mick Smith today and he told me he sold a record on Checker for silly money. But he's always so had to get info out of. So what is the rarest record on Checker.

Someone must know.

I'd like to hear it.....

Rob

Social source share

Definately Checker and not Chess Rob?

Sure Mick had a copy Yiddish Soul Brother Amnon on Chess which has hit 4 figures of late.

PS - if its in that guys collection you've been raping and pillaging recently I hope I receive a tidy commission fee for such info!

Regards

Mace

Social source share

This one's pretty tricky to find (Charlie Brown) ....not many of these around

Greg that wouldn't be by Charlie 'Cole Black' Brown who was lead singer of the Violinaires would it ??

I really like his 'limited release' Jewel 45 (the main pressing of which was organised by Garry Cape here in the UK) .....

....... Garry said "I remember one time when I was in Shreveport in the late 80s, I visited with Stan and he showed me the masters listing - there were many many more Chicago recordings that he had the rights to. At that time I was a record-dealer and so didn't show too much interest in them (!!) - but I did get the Charlie 'Cole Black' Brown pressed - previously it had only been available on a Jewel demo - I had it released on a slightly lighter coloured Jewel label.... "

Garry also commented "very very irritating thing is that they showed me the masters register, and it showed 4 tracks by Charlie Cole Black Brown - but in those days I was more interested in 45s than in masters and as they didn't have the audio readily to hand I never got to hear what the other 2 tracks were - but having been cut at the same session, it wouldn't be too much of a surprise if they were pretty good ........

In the years since, I've tried to track them down - but change of ownerships of the masters means it has been a frustrating failure....."

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

This one's pretty tricky to find....not many of these around, way less than the Kindly Shepherds & Soul Stirrers,

Often listed in discographies as The Violinaires but put out as lead singer (at that time) Charlie Brown. This is the same Charlie Brown as Charlie (Cole Black) Brown who put out the great doublesider on Jewel. As it's been listed as Violinaires I wonder if there are any copies around credited to The Violinaires.

edited to say Oops, Roburt posted just before me

Edited by Dave Turner
Social source share

Common record but almost impossible to find is .............. FONTELLA BASS RESCUE ME CHECKER WHITE DEMO !! So tim ashibende told me, and er yes i was shocked too !!

Doesn't exist as a white demo, it is the same as the issue with "DJ Copy", there is a pic of it on here somewhere.

Hang on I was thinking about Joy Lovejoy!

Edited by Tony Smith
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

There are many very rare records on chess and checker and making it more confusing is that there are records in the discography that don't exist, but some that people aren't sure if they exist or are very rare because they are so rare.

With little time and without checking into anything before I post, but still wanting to contribute before I take my dog out as the light fades.....

It's not that custom press 45 on Cadet or summat is it?

There was a thread about it 6 months or so - suppoused to be the rarest on the label as it was some sort of custom press - Steve G has a copy and its

rated £1000+.

Of course I could be getting confused.....

derek x

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Often listed in discographies as The Violinaires but put out as lead singer (at that time) Charlie Brown. This is the same Charlie Brown as Charlie (Cole Black) Brown who put out the great doublesider on Jewel. As it's been listed as Violinaires I wonder if there are any copies around credited to The Violinaires.

edited to say Oops, Roburt posted just before me

From my research, there's no copies of the 45 of this track credited to the Violinaires........the same mix is included on one of their LP's, but the 45 was credited simply to the lead vocalist Charlie Brown. At a guess, I'd say that Checker were possibly aiming for a more secular, crossover appeal for the cut and ultimately the band....but it's pretty clear that there's not many copies of the 45 round.

Social source share

I was talking to Mick Smith today and he told me he sold a record on Checker for silly money. But he's always so had to get info out of. So what is the rarest record on Checker.

Someone must know.

I'd like to hear it.....

Rob

I imagine that it might be one of those early 1952 releases in the 750's. There was only one gospel record released on Checker during that time and I've never seen even a scan of it. So, it might have had a very small press run and almost no sales. But, there are plenty of candidates. Weren't some of the obscure later numbers pulled back? There are some listed in discographies that surely weren't ever pressed up.

Social source share

Sure Mick had a copy Yiddish Soul Brother Amnon on Chess which has hit 4 figures of late. Regards Mace

It's not that custom press 45 on Cadet or summat is it? There was a thread about it 6 months or so - suppoused to be the rarest on the label as it was some sort of custom press - Steve G has a copy and its rated £1000+. derek x

After all these years good to see my old grey matter hasn't let me down

Ammon Feldman "Only Girl I Had / In New York City" (Chess 1990) released in 1967.

but it's credited to Yiddish Soul Brother Amnon as Mace states.

See thread here:

derek x

Edited by Derek Pearson
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest hipcityhipster

Thanks Mace

Don't know the Yiddish thing but can see why it'd be rare. Who'd buy that !

Is it any good though ?

Not on youtube.

Not found it in my American guys collection anyway, but more good things have shown up there. New list soon !

Rob

Definately Checker and not Chess Rob?

Sure Mick had a copy Yiddish Soul Brother Amnon on Chess which has hit 4 figures of late.

PS - if its in that guys collection you've been raping and pillaging recently I hope I receive a tidy commission fee for such info!

Regards

Mace

Social source share

Guest hipcityhipster

With little time and without checking into anything before I post, but still wanting to contribute before I take my dog out as the light fades.....

It's not that custom press 45 on Cadet or summat is it?

Might be ???

But what is it ?

Rob

There was a thread about it 6 months or so - suppoused to be the rarest on the label as it was some sort of custom press - Steve G has a copy and its

rated £1000+.

Of course I could be getting confused.....

derek x

Social source share

Funny..... He doesn't have a Yiddish accent. Is he one of those "Black Jews", like the Chance/Parrot Flamingos were?

no it's a white Jewish dude. Black Hebrews have a huge history in Chicago though, including music. Without going into details a later 60s group went to Dimona Israel and recorded a bunch of albums and singles there that were comped by the Numero Group, it's an excellent CD. In college I used to go to their Soul Vegetarian restaurant on 75th street twice a week. Now lots of white people go there and they don't wear dashikis anymore at their restaurant. I've been to the one in DC next to howard university, much more low key. They also have a restaurant in Israel.

Social source share

Fontella Bass demo isn't rare, there was one on ebay last week for £15 which didn't sell.

Agreed, Pete,

Joy Lovejoy demo is still a rare un

and also without wanting to offend anyone , Yiddish Soul Brother...It's a bit shit really, let's be honest the guy can't sing and the backing isn't that great either, I can live with that gap in my collection.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thanks Mace

Is it any good though ?

Not on youtube.

Not found it in my American guys collection anyway, but more good things have shown up there. New list soon !

Rob

Rob, I've seen Mick Smith today and he told me it was indeed the Yiddish 45 he was referring to :thumbsup:

Social source share

• 2 months later...

Greg that wouldn't be by Charlie 'Cole Black' Brown who was lead singer of the Violinaires would it ??

I really like his 'limited release' Jewel 45 (the main pressing of which was organised by Garry Cape here in the UK) .....

....... Garry said "I remember one time when I was in Shreveport in the late 80s, I visited with Stan and he showed me the masters listing - there were many many more Chicago recordings that he had the rights to. At that time I was a record-dealer and so didn't show too much interest in them (!!) - but I did get the Charlie 'Cole Black' Brown pressed - previously it had only been available on a Jewel demo - I had it released on a slightly lighter coloured Jewel label.... "

Garry also commented "very very irritating thing is that they showed me the masters register, and it showed 4 tracks by Charlie Cole Black Brown - but in those days I was more interested in 45s than in masters and as they didn't have the audio readily to hand I never got to hear what the other 2 tracks were - but having been cut at the same session, it wouldn't be too much of a surprise if they were pretty good ........

In the years since, I've tried to track them down - but change of ownerships of the masters means it has been a frustrating failure....."

Actually I have access to the masters register. It's a huge typewritten list and contained within 3 huge ring-bind folders. I let Tim Brown loose on it a few years ago and he identified some very interesting looking stuff in there.I'll dig 'em out again. I might have to retreive 'em from archives but I'll get them in my hands this week whilst we're on this topic.

Mind you, it's all very well identifying the stuff but another thing entirely having to pay for the retreival and transfer LOL....

Ian D :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Actually I have access to the masters register. It's a huge typewritten list and contained within 3 huge ring-bind folders. I let Tim Brown loose on it a few years ago and he identified some very interesting looking stuff in there.I'll dig 'em out again. I might have to retreive 'em from archives but I'll get them in my hands this week whilst we're on this topic.

Ian D :D

Would love to know the titles of the other Charlie 'Cole Black' Brown tracks.

Social source share

• 7 months later...

Just been reported on the 'Southern Soul Forum' that Charles 'Cole Black' Brown (ex of the Violinaires) recently passed away.

Social source share

Thanks Mace

Is it any good though ?

Not on youtube.

Rob

Rob it was definitely the Amnon record that Mick had, he's getting the labels mixed up, he had it covered up, I put it on a Beatin Rhythm tape as long ago as 1995 under it's cover up name, Dave Welding had it before Mick.

Social source share

Here ya go, mate.....

Now thats a memory blast from the early days of my youth! West Hampstead Toon and a Jackmans Community Centre fave via Taffy if I recall. Just a great record. Rather appropriate for us aging Soulies these days, along with 'My Aching Back' Lowell Fulsom

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

Hi Steve looking foreword to seeing you at Skeg,I love both sides Steve never seen one in the flesh though what value ? best regards Simon.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!