Grapevine Issues - Why So Attractive ?

Chris L

Quality, legality and the fact that Grapevine was around during the height of the scene has possibly made it disposable, a lot like some of the "pop" records of the hey day of vinyl. You've answered your own question Dave, Grapevine aren't boots and certainly not UK re-issues, just first time issues in the UK methinks.

Steve

Social source share

Because people are clueless about records' values?

Fantastic stuff on Grapevine but very few merit high prices, most of the high prices are artificial anyway.

You only have to go back a year to a sales ad I did where I listed every Grapevine release at very sensible prices, half of them didn't sell at all.

Social source share

To me they were just for listening at home I dont have any of the 45s but I have all the albums for listening at home- If someone thinks its ok to play out with the exception of the unissued then they are deluding themsleves as to what is originality. They were good quality but I suppose if you are gonna collect a series then why not these!

• Helpful 3
Social source share

And what better way to own a Larry Clinton whilst protecting the Dynamo stock copy !!

The most respectable UK northern related label - ever !!

Come on Nick, if it's Northern 'related' then it's going to be London - or Stateside.

For both quantity and quality - going on for 150 -200 R & B releases on each, probably 300 on London..

The again - as an out and out Northern Soul label, yes, it's untouchable. Kent maybe come close?

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

To me they were just for listening at home I dont have any of the 45s but I have all the albums for listening at home- If someone thinks its ok to play out with the exception of the unissued then they are deluding themsleves as to what is originality. They were good quality but I suppose if you are gonna collect a series then why not these!

What is it - must get the complete set ? :g:

Social source share

Quality, legality and the fact that Grapevine was around during the height of the scene has possibly made it disposable, a lot like some of the "pop" records of the hey day of vinyl. You've answered your own question Dave, Grapevine aren't boots and certainly not UK re-issues, just first time issues in the UK methinks.

Steve

But are they 100% legitimate.

Construction getting released under it's cover up title springs to mind. Sure if that was legal it would be released with the real band name & not a totally different one. Makes me wonder if any of the members of The Construction even knew about it's release or the Del Capri's for that matter.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='Nick Harrison' timestamp='1353691871' post='1829734'

And what better way to own a Larry Clinton whilst protecting the Dynamo stock copy !!

The most respectable UK northern related label - ever !

EXACTLY........................I KNOW WHATCHA MEAN

post-20010-0-02971200-1353905731_thumb.j

Social source share

:hatsoff2: HI ALL..As a collector of SOUL released in the UK, There are some basic rules to follow & to understand. 1) non of GRAPVINES 45s had been released in the UK this makes them 1st issues not reissues, 2) collecting UK 45s is an elitist hobby that has it0s roots in the MOD sub culture "watch the tonic?" to translate, tonic suits were made bespoke in SAVILE ROW, 2 TONE was of the peg BURTON, A CROMBIE COAT was made in ABERDEEN hence abercrombie, this blue coats made with plastic were made in sweat shops of BRICK LANE,3)GRAPEVINE LABEL has a quality pedigree attached to it, Scotchman John Anderson (soul bowl) Richard Sterling (Mr NICE FM) with RCA RECORDS, Do you get my gist, :g: if not I will write more KTF :ohmy: DAVE K

Dave,

I do get your gist, but write more anyway

please, I always like your take on all this stuff

pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!