How Long Does A Record Actually Last?

I think there's too many variables to come up with a standard time that a record will last. Needle condition is probably the most important but there is also the standard of pressing, material the record is made of, tone arm weight, anti-skate setting, condition of player generally, handling of record, storage conditions.

One play on a crap deck with a poor stylus can ruin a record.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Sadly Mike Powell broke it in 1991.

Quite right. Credit to Mike Powell and that terrific long jump competition at the world championships in Tokyo (where he had to break the record to win the title). Mike has now held the record for almost as long as Bob Beamon did.

Shame to ruin an almost funny joke with facts though.

Although, of course, being a GB athletics fan, perhaps the answer should be 17 years ... in tribute to Jonathan Edwards!

Social source share

I think there's too many variables to come up with a standard time that a record will last. Needle condition is probably the most important but there is also the standard of pressing, material the record is made of, tone arm weight, anti-skate setting, condition of player generally, handling of record, storage conditions.

One play on a crap deck with a poor stylus can ruin a record.

old style stylus's are a killer and with cause needle hiss off one back cue.

Social source share

Ok, at bit of a beginers question. But i am curious, how many plays does a piece off vinyl actually last for? lets assume its a near mint record, well looked after and using a good quality needle. How many plays would you get before you can start hearing a deteriation in the sound quality?

jordan

Well the answer is that a record will last forever if it's looked after.

I've got mint condition records that are over 50 years old.

IF you're going to put it under laboratory conditions then of course you'll hear deterioration but if a record is handled properly and a decent stylus used, it will outlive you..

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Im not worried my records are suddly going to wear out... Its just my Dad is being quite reluctant to let me listen to some of his records, to be fair alot of them are not that valuable compared to some you see on here and ebay. I quite enjoy listyening to them as there is a lot thats new to my ears or not played much out any more as they have lost favour. But his excuse is that they will only last so many plays. So i can now combat his arguement! :P I have two decent stanton turntables with good stanton needles in.

Social source share

Guest Andy Kempster

i would say he is just being protective of his precious vinyl, promise not to backwind, check your needles and keep them in the same condition he is obviously very proud of then there shouldnt be a problem with you playing, records are for sharing not coveting, you obviously have decent kit so i dont see the harm

Social source share

Records are extremely robust - I have had the same nail (needle) in my record player at home for years, it just needs a wipe every so often, when there gets so much fluff build up that it slides across the record :D

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Which leads to a question I've never had an answer to.

IF styli are manufactured from Diamond, how does playing soft vinyl wear them out ???

Tony

Social source share

IF you're going to put it under laboratory conditions then of course you'll hear deterioration but if a record is handled properly and a decent stylus used, it will outlive you..

Totally agree............................I've still got records my Dad collected which are 50+ years old....................stilll in near mint condition and still play brilliantly.

Also got records from the 50's in my own personal collection that play perfectly!!!!

Long live vinyl!!! :yes:

Social source share

Guest sharmo 1

This is a good question a vinyl record looked after properly should last forever I've got some 78's that are 60 plus and play like mint although i need to make sure there not dropped !! or used for target practice with my grandaughters air rifle!! Styrene is a much less denser material than p.v.c and will wear out and can crack or shatter when dropped .studio acetates are best handled less frequently although not made for long term use.It's also a good point to remember that record company's were making these thing's for a quick sale and offered no guarentee's of longivity regards Tony Soaper.

Social source share

Which leads to a question I've never had an answer to.

IF styli are manufactured from Diamond, how does playing soft vinyl wear them out ???

Tony

Good question....I don't know the answer, I'm afraid.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

i would say he is just being protective of his precious vinyl, promise not to backwind, check your needles and keep them in the same condition he is obviously very proud of then there shouldnt be a problem with you playing, records are for sharing not coveting, you obviously have decent kit so i dont see the harm

Why does backwinding a record damage it? I sometimes do that when lining up a record and haven't had any problems so far, but I'm aware this can cause 'burn' - So how does backwind cause this? - You've just reminded me, I really shouldn't do it.

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

Why does backwinding a record damage it? I sometimes do that when lining up a record and haven't had any problems so far, but I'm aware this can cause 'burn' - So how does backwind cause this? - You've just reminded me, I really shouldn't do it.

All the best,

Len look at a stylus under a magnifying glass Len, then you'll see why...

Social source share

Thinking about it....if each play of a record reduces it's lifetime....then playing OVO is slowly killing the scene. :wink:

But why do you say that? I think it's down to personal choice - People pay their hard earned, blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah,

blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah,blah

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I have a 'reaction' as soon as 'O.V.O' is mentioned :D

All the best,

Edited by LEN
Social source share

But why do you say that? I think it's down to personal choice - People pay their hard earned, blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah,

blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah, blah, blah blah blah blah, blah,blah

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry, I have a 'reaction' as soon as 'O.V.O' is mentioned :D

All the best,

I have an noticeable tic come on when 'it' rears 'it's' head Len. :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Matt Male

Interesting question.

I'd say the short answer is that they were never intended to last for ever. When pressed and sold they were disposable consumables only intended to last a few months until kids bought the next hit from the charts and moved on, remember those pictures of girls in the 50s with 45s out of their sleeves scattered over the floor of a bedroom?

It's pure chance they managed to produce something that survived and has stood the test of time

Social source share

Not far off pete

my 10 years in working with degradable polymers into this this has put me in good stead as to how long average polymers Could last and i say this lightly as we'll all be dead...

it does depend on the polymer used etc etc .... you can see vinyl roofs on cars rotting after 10 years due to uv exposure, the thinner grades PE LDPE Etc (plastic carrier bags) could last about 400 years they reckon.... anything that is carbon black seems to disintegrate faster probably due to the fact black absorbs heat better, also exposure to certain materials can wreck polymers... Liners that are used for landfill (bloody big thick plastic sheets made of high density polymers HDPE) have been found to be rotting due to exposure to certain shampoos and bootpolish

But it is thought that a basic record could last tens of thousands of years kept in the right conditions.

Professor Norman Billingham of Sussex university is a bloody whizz with all this he'd probably write a thesis 9he is a macro molecular polymer professor

Trick is dont shine them up with boot polish, keep em out of the light, dont wash them in detergent and who knows it could well be

MR SPOCK got a groovy littel tune from the past its the snake by al wilson........make it so :lol:

Geeooooordie

Edited by geordiejohnson
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!