3Rd Frank Wilson "dily (Iid)" Version-1966

The Yank

Has anyone else heard about a tape (?) showing up with an alternate version of the above mentioned tune??

I know the version on Soul #35019 and the alternate version that appeared on the U.S. CD "Motown Year

By Year 1966". I've heard there's a really clean sounding version (stereo?) with a countdown intro .

Does anyone know where this version came from or if it's been released on CD ???

ps- this is not a windup !

Social source share

• Replies 14
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest chorleybloke

Has anyone else heard about a tape (?) showing up with an alternate version of the above mentioned tune??

I know the version on Soul #35019 and the alternate version that appeared on the U.S. CD "Motown Year

By Year 1966". I've heard there's a really clean sounding version (stereo?) with a countdown intro .

Does anyone know where this version came from or if it's been released on CD ???

ps- this is not a windup !

Yes you're correct, and it resides here in Australia. It was the original master tape file copy and is accompanied by a docket consigning it to the shelves and signed by Berry Gordy. The owner (not me) had it scrutinised by a professional sound engineer who confirmed it is in stereo and of significantly higher quality & fidelity than the '79 or '02 Tamla Motown releases.

Cheers

Pete

Social source share

Chalky,

No. We're talking about the Agfa tape that was used to record the takes in the studio. It was found a number of years ago, (along with others) in LA by a well known collector/dealer. If memory serves me correctly they came from the estate of a widowed sound engineer. The tape is 100% genuine. It was recently purchased by the OZ collector who has had a vinyl copy made from the tape and as Pete says, it's stereo version.

I'm sure the OZ collector will confirm all this shortly.

Regards,

Dave

Social source share

Turntableterra on here says in the thread linked below that he has the reference copy master tape which he has taken into a studio and had "dissected". Dunno what he means by dissected or whether he's talking about the 2" multitrack. If it's the multitrack, then of course it contains the various "takes" when the song was originally recorded and presumably can be remixed to produce different versions. I was going to ask him for more details but didn't get around to it. My understanding is that a 1/2" master tape, as opposed to the multitrack, is simply the final mixed version ( could be stereo or mono depending on equipment used ) but doesn't contain each separate vocal, guitar, bass etc track which potentially could be remixed.

Edited by autumnstoned
Social source share

Chalky,

No. We're talking about the Agfa tape that was used to record the takes in the studio. It was found a number of years ago, (along with others) in LA by a well known collector/dealer. If memory serves me correctly they came from the estate of a widowed sound engineer. The tape is 100% genuine. It was recently purchased by the OZ collector who has had a vinyl copy made from the tape and as Pete says, it's stereo version.

I'm sure the OZ collector will confirm all this shortly.

Regards,

Dave

Raises an interesting legal question : does legal title/ownership in things such as this AGFA tape file copy forever remain with the record company or the copyright owner whoever that may be from time to time ?

In other words, could this AGFA tape of Frank Wiklson's Do I Love You be considered as stolen property under US law ?

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

quote name='east rob' timestamp='1353707041' post='1829853'

wc22w2.jpg this it?

no east rob,

this is the vinyl copy i had made. so dont email asking if its a bootleg or a 60`s testpress or ask for serial numbers as it does not have them obviously. believe me i have had them, and some nasty ones at that. i bought it unheard along with a number of other pieces, for me as memorobilia and was concerned it may not have any thing on it, but the source was incredibly reliable, a price agreed and delivery was made. by disection, i meant to just establish what it was. knowing nothing really about tapes i took it to a sound studio.in july. the engineer was great and discussed the whole process with me. we played it against a number of other versions ie, the 1979 uk release and 2009 release, these appear to be recorded on one track and came across as "almost a mono recording as if they recorded them from the record or something" was how he described them, they produced left and right of the same recording. the tape had multiple "tracks" ( i think thats how to describe them) mixed different left and right. and he split them and played them seperatly to me, clear as a bell then together. he described the recording as a question and answer session with the instruments talking to each other, really was an interesting guy to meet and totally enthralling to listen to. everything is so clear and in comparison to the uk issue, it blows it out of the water.... i videoed the whole day with all his comments and photographed the computer screen images as i wanted a full record of it for myself.. believe me when i tell you the goosepimples exploded when, after trying a number of recording machines and using an akai 5000, "take 9, once again like before, that was beuatifull,rolling on three. i,2, 123.....came booming through. it was originally just bought for me as a piece of memorobilia, but now i play it for absent friends in particular ian parker. whatever, its an interesting piece to have and listen to.

Social source share

quote name='east rob' timestamp='1353707041' post='1829853'

wc22w2.jpg this it?

no east rob,

this is the vinyl copy i had made. so dont email asking if its a bootleg or a 60`s testpress or ask for serial numbers as it does not have them obviously. believe me i have had them, and some nasty ones at that. i bought it unheard along with a number of other pieces, for me as memorobilia and was concerned it may not have any thing on it, but the source was incredibly reliable, a price agreed and delivery was made. by disection, i meant to just establish what it was. knowing nothing really about tapes i took it to a sound studio.in july. the engineer was great and discussed the whole process with me. we played it against a number of other versions ie, the 1979 uk release and 2009 release, these appear to be recorded on one track and came across as "almost a mono recording as if they recorded them from the record or something" was how he described them, they produced left and right of the same recording. the tape had multiple "tracks" ( i think thats how to describe them) mixed different left and right. and he split them and played them seperatly to me, clear as a bell then together. he described the recording as a question and answer session with the instruments talking to each other, really was an interesting guy to meet and totally enthralling to listen to. everything is so clear and in comparison to the uk issue, it blows it out of the water.... i videoed the whole day with all his comments and photographed the computer screen images as i wanted a full record of it for myself.. believe me when i tell you the goosepimples exploded when, after trying a number of recording machines and using an akai 5000, "take 9, once again like before, that was beuatifull,rolling on three. i,2, 123.....came booming through. it was originally just bought for me as a piece of memorobilia, but now i play it for absent friends in particular ian parker. whatever, its an interesting piece to have and listen to.

Hi

Your acquisition and day in the studio is very interesting and the film you made would be of significant interest to many on here and wider I suspect. Any plans on sharing some edited highlights?

All the best

Mike

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert