The Best Packaged Record I've Ever Received

paultp

that is pretty funny. I know by "best" you mean funniest probably, but that isn't that great packaging as the box is easily crushable and those plastic bags aren't doing much. good 45 packaging always involves a completely rigid sandwich (unless it's double boxing which involves taking a perfectly packed 45 and putting it in another box of peanuts).

Social source share

that is pretty funny. I know by "best" you mean funniest probably, but that isn't that great packaging as the box is easily crushable and those plastic bags aren't doing much. good 45 packaging always involves a completely rigid sandwich (unless it's double boxing which involves taking a perfectly packed 45 and putting it in another box of peanuts).

You're right, It was actually crushed at one corner. It was just a bit OCD.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Paul,all you have to do know,is take the record,place it on the decks,(with your chosen side facing up).Switch on the decks at the wall,and press the Power On button.Make sure you have selected the correct speed,45rpm.Lower needle gently onto record.

Choose a volume to suit your mood.

Hope this helps.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Once received an ebay purchase (Vivilore Jordan on Mojo I think) in a box large enough to fit a washing machine in. The record had no stiffeners around it and was suspended in those white foam 'whatsits'. Fortunately the 45 was unharmed during its trip across the Atlantic.

I can appreciate that not all ebay sellers are used to handling and posting vintage records, but the leap in imagination required to package the item in that way was quite something to me.

Social source share

I had a package delivered once with a tyre mark diagonally across one side. Before I opened it I just knew the record inside was broken.

I took the package to the Post Office to ask how I should claim compensation. After some debate with the teller, I asked to see the Duty Manager. I showed him the package with the tyre mark across it and the broken contents, to which he said, "What makes you think it's our fault?" :ohmy:

You couldn't make it up. :dash2:

I've kept the package for posterity. I'm thinking of getting it framed. :lol:

Social source share

Disturbed from my brekkie at 7.45 by the doorbell, I'm greeted by Royal Mail parcels with a square box for me.

Is it more rubbish the missus has purchased online? No, its from the states so I open it up, neatly across the diagonal (well cushioned) is a smaller package.

post-2247-0-56606500-1353398482_thumb.jp

On removing said smaller package, I find that the seller must have met me before as he doesn't trust me to understand how to unpackage records. There is a complex system of tabs but happliy there are full instructions.

post-2247-0-35459800-1353398511_thumb.jp

I follow the first part and pull the tape off by pulling the paper tabs, thankfully I notice the instruction at the bottom of the card so I don't pull off that tab. Unfortunately, the top tab reveals a previously unseen word which alarms me for a while, but I press on.

post-2247-0-36572800-1353398648_thumb.jp

I open the the two pieces of card "like a book" and reveal the contents.

post-2247-0-25332000-1353398848_thumb.jp

Gingerly (like my movember) I follow the remaining instructions and pull the tape off the plastic sleeve. Just in case I can't fathom how to get the record out of the white paper sleeve the seller has left one last reassuring point.

post-2247-0-25766700-1353399030_thumb.jp

Quite the most disturbing package I have received for some time. :unsure:

Amateur time. I'd have typewritten the instructions......... :lol:

Ian D :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Paul,all you have to do know,is take the record,place it on the decks,(with your chosen side facing up).Switch on the decks at the wall,and press the Power On button.Make sure you have selected the correct speed,45rpm.Lower needle gently onto record.

Choose a volume to suit your mood.

Hope this helps.

He has to ge to the venue first Kev....further instructions to follow :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I had a package delivered once with a tyre mark diagonally across one side. Before I opened it I just knew the record inside was broken.

I took the package to the Post Office to ask how I should claim compensation. After some debate with the teller, I asked to see the Duty Manager. I showed him the package with the tyre mark across it and the broken contents, to which he said, "What makes you think it's our fault?" :ohmy:

I had the same thing happen, except with a record I sold. The seller sent me pictures of the package upon arrival, which had a giant black tire of a car mark across the box, then pictures where the record was partially melted on one corner as well. was pretty p-ssed to be outed that money, but I would want someone to do the same for me, so a refund was issued.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Once got a copy of Pharoah Sanders' "Black Unity" album wrapped in the sports pages of a neo-Nazi local paper in Indiana. What kind of feedback are sellers like this expecting?

I guess you had a pretty clear understanding then of why the seller didn't want to hold onto that record anymore though, right? :rofl::glare::(

Social source share

Very similar, I once sold a record to someone and when it arrived there was a clear impression of a Doc Marten footprint on the mailer.

The record was cracked as well. I refunded the buyer, and put a claim into the PO. They paid out without question, and as I'd claimed the maximum amount for the insurance I'd paid for I was not only quite surprised, but considerably in profit :thumbup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Very similar, I once sold a record to someone and when it arrived there was a clear impression of a Doc Marten footprint on the mailer.

The record was cracked as well. I refunded the buyer, and put a claim into the PO. They paid out without question, and as I'd claimed the maximum amount for the insurance I'd paid for I was not only quite surprised, but considerably in profit :thumbup:

Result!!! :thumbsup:

Social source share

Strange but the very same thing happened to me with pretty much the same response from the post office. :lol:

Actually kept mine for a while as well but threw it out recently.

Social source share

Ah! it was a BOOT then?

Social source share

Best by far are Japanese Reggae dealers, Dub Vendor. Use their own custom made boxes that are about 2" thick & packed with cladding and still tape up the records with cardboard stiffeners.

Strangest I ever had was a cheap record I won from the states & it was just stuck between 2 other records. One of the records used as a packer was Etta James - Seven Day Fool. Mint, unplayed & never even took out of the sleeve. Result.

Social source share

lol@ the neo nazi newspaper, would love to see the paper if you kept it

I would think a 45 in a washing machine sized box with packing peanuts (those foam things) would be ultra-safe.

I got two cracked 45s yesterday. One was a crushed in part that was clearly cracked during shipping. The other was a very visible edge crack that had been GLUED TOGETHER which I don't think happened during shipping.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!