More Ebay Insanity : Lillie Bryant $1,391 ?

What opinions on this, the wax was described only as "G" and the labels had writing on ? :ohmy:

Up untill the mid 1980's this record was another "forgotten" and like most of the classic NS ,had reached rock bottom on interest and value (I saw it still listed at £8)

How rare it really was,is difficult to say,looking back on it now,but even in the seventies Soul Bowl had them I think,at £3.

Ok time moves on and 35 years later it's still in demand,what would a mint - issue or demo go for now ?

And why (without naming the faces :rolleyes:

) the (still) huge disparity between US prices and UK pounds ......? :g:

Rob.

Social source share

2k+ for a nice original......so if the copy played ok maybe the price was fair

Thanks for your opinion Dave , so you really "believe" these prices.... ?

You really, think this is "rare" ....? And the 2k you mention is that $ ot £ "value" :huh: ?

( is that for a issue or demo ? )

Social source share

in 30 years of collecting i have only seen around 20 / 30 copies of this record, either in the flesh or on sales lists / internet, hed the chance to buy a couple in the 80's but like a plank i declined they were priced at £100 and £75 respectivley, a bloody hard record to get, if i had the money i would have had that one off ebay, i personally think whoever won it got a pretty good deal

• Helpful 2
Social source share

It was always a hard one to get.

I sold Greety a WD in 79 for £80 or there-abouts.

thats one of the very few copies that i've seen in the flesh, it resided at my house for a few weeks in the 80's, along with all the rest of his records when dave was between houses, i was hoping he'd forget where he left them

• Helpful 2
Social source share

I'm not entirely sure what point the original poster is trying to make, but this record has always been a genuine rarity. Seldom turns up.

correct, a very hard record, i think the winners of the lillie and combinations auctions should be very pleased with themselves, if it had been me who won them both i'd be like a dog with two dicks

Social source share

Thanks for your opinion Dave , so you really "believe" these prices.... ?

You really, think this is "rare" ....? And the 2k you mention is that $ ot £ "value" :huh: ?

( is that for a issue or demo ? )

that was just my opinion but popsike sort of backs me up...one or two originals plus all the red 70`s counterfeits

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=lillie+bryant&x=11&y=10

Social source share

Guest turntableterra

(quote name='dave pinch' timestamp='1353274723' post='1826353')

that was just my opinion but popsike sort of backs me up...one or two originals plus all the red 70`s counterfeits

https://www.popsike.c...ryant&x=11&y=10

(quote)

Only seen about 10 myself, would love the issue. great record. but was it as big a tune as it is now, these days in our search for more.

Edited by turntableterra
Social source share

What opinions on this, the wax was described only as "G" and the labels had writing on ? :ohmy:

Up untill the mid 1980's this record was another "forgotten" and like most of the classic NS ,had reached rock bottom on interest and value (I saw it still listed at £8) How rare it really was,is difficult to say,looking back on it now,but even in the seventies Soul Bowl had them I think,at £3. Ok time moves on and 35 years later it's still in demand,what would a mint - issue or demo go for now ? And why (without naming the faces :rolleyes: ) the (still) huge disparity between US prices and UK pounds ......? :g: Rob.

Looks like a decent price, hope buyer got to listen to is before bidding. I can't remember it ever being a cheap record, you hardly never see them for sale.

Social source share

Combinations - I'm gonna make you love me - G condition just gone through at $1748.69

Lillie might have been a decent price after all :g:

Have you got the URL for that auction,I can't find it ? The Combinations on Kimtone according to popsike,went through at $2645 and $2125, but a seller mentioned he saw one sell at $4070.

Social source share

It's mega rare and always has been IMO. Soul Bowl has never had this @ £3.00 to my knowledge. I've never ever found one and only seen a couple in 40 odd years, so that's pretty rare to me.......

Ian D :D

Agree..never saw one for sale all the time i was doing niters/collecting during the 70's..Dave Rai picked up a beat copy in the 80's and he was pleased to have that..tis a hard record..

Social source share

I'm not entirely sure what point the original poster is trying to make, but this record has always been a genuine rarity. Seldom turns up.

I wasn't really trying to make any point, I was asking for others opinions on the finishing price and the condition of the record. My recollections of it were that like many classic NS,it's popularity had diminished. I was suprised by the auction ! Popsike also shows that really shagged out one at $639 ! Even the counterfeits are money :huh:

Does ebay contribute-encourage insanity bidding,I mean because someone has'nt seen a copy in 30 years,he automatically thinks "H--y Shit" and gets carried away ? So because a demo fetched $2550,does that "mean" it is the "right" price ? :g:.

I'm just trying to understand it :lamsey:

Social source share

Actually the weird thing about this record, is it never went big first time around - there were only a couple of copies here and there, so you didn't hear it out much - maybe Pep and/or Sam had it so it may have been bigger in the midlands. I don't remember it being big anywhere to be honest. But it was always as rare as hen's teeth.

I still dunno why anyone pressed it. Did it go big towards the end of the 70's or something.....?

Ian D

Social source share

It's a hard record because it was withdrawn from sale because of it's similarity to "This old heart of mine".

Or so the rumour goes...

well its certainly does rip it off pete.... the promo is probably as rare as the stock imho tho...........off topic a little i wonder if parkway withdrew christine coopers `heartaches away` for ripping off the supremes and how curtis mayfield got away with cant satisfy as thats too close to the isleys TOHOM ..i`ll never know

Social source share

Actually the weird thing about this record, is it never went big first time around - there were only a couple of copies here and there, so you didn't hear it out much - maybe Pep and/or Sam had it so it may have been bigger in the midlands. I don't remember it being big anywhere to be honest. But it was always as rare as hen's teeth.

I still dunno why anyone pressed it. Did it go big towards the end of the 70's or something.....?

Ian D

Big for about a month at Wigan via Richard and Pep, Ian, then dropped like a stone after it was booted

Social source share

in 30 years of collecting i have only seen around 20 / 30 copies of this record, either in the flesh or on sales lists / internet, hed the chance to buy a couple in the 80's but like a plank i declined they were priced at £100 and £75 respectivley, a bloody hard record to get, if i had the money i would have had that one off ebay, i personally think whoever won it got a pretty good deal
There was one on Soul Bowl late 80's around 100 or 125, Rob Marriott beat me to it, then I missed it when he sold up :-(

This copy sounded pretty beat up, which again don't seem to bother people much!

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

It's mega rare and always has been IMO. Soul Bowl has never had this @ £3.00 to my knowledge. I've never ever found one and only seen a couple in 40 odd years, so that's pretty rare to me.......

Ok Ian,that's very interesting,so if I read you right -you are saying that Lillie Bryant,on the "scale of rareties" goes beyond anything you have ever found,is that what you mean ? If so, then that is really an eye opener especially from someone who had so many fantastic hauls :hatsoff2: . Why do you think this record is so rare then ?

Social source share

Ok Ian,that's very interesting,so if I read you right -you are saying that Lillie Bryant,on the "scale of rareties" goes beyond anything you have ever found,is that what you mean ? If so, then that is really an eye opener especially from someone who had so many fantastic hauls :hatsoff2: . Why do you think this record is so rare then ?

I'm taking a wild guess here mate, but maybe he thinks it's rare because he's only come across "a couple of copies in 40 odd years"? Maybe the rest of us think it's pretty rare for similar reasons?

Let's ask you the reverse question..........why do you seem to think it isn't that rare? Have you come across a secret stash?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

It's a hard record because it was withdrawn from sale because of it's similarity to "This old heart of mine".

Or so the rumour goes...

You don't mean "I Guess I'll Always Love You" instead, do you Pete? I was thinking of the chorus that goes:

"Open up your arms

And let me walk on in

Open up your heart

And let me live again"

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

I'm taking a wild guess here mate, but maybe he thinks it's rare because he's only come across "a couple of copies in 40 odd years"? Maybe the rest of us think it's pretty rare for similar reasons?

Let's ask you the reverse question..........why do you seem to think it isn't that rare? Have you come across a secret stash?

Mark ,I just thought that it was on overall,a relative motown sounding obscurity that had lost its interest,bootlegged many years ago and then forgotten about....I popped the question to see what others thought ! Apparently then it is still very rare and indemand -even shagged out copies. The mind boggles at what a mint demo would go for... :ohmy: in a uk dealers auction....

Social source share

No mate definitely TOHOM, because the intro sounds very similar

Yes, I can see what you mean now. The intro does sound similar to "This Old Heart Of Mine". Though I reckon it's plagiarised from both tracks - the chorus is definitely copied from "I Guess I'll Always Love You".

One can just imagine Berry Gordy's hissy-fit on hearing Lillie Bryant!

Social source share

Ian D

It was a MONSTER at the Mecca....

Social source share

Not beyond anything I've ever found, 'cos I've bumped into rarer stuff - the first copy of Willie Hutch outside of Soussan was a good one, the only test press of Si Hightower and a few others come to mind, but it's one I just never came across in my travels. I should qualify that by saying that I never did the East Coast much, so there's a lot of East Coast stuff I've never found. Also I think Tay-Ster was a rarish label anyway compared to many others. It's similar to the Little Joe Romans discussion a while back - that's another pretty rare record IMO in that I simply haven't seen many originals over the years.

Mind you, you live and learn. I only found out yesterday that the Showstoppers "Gotta Get Closer To You" was issued on Party Time in the U.S. and I've certainly never ever seen that before and I bet many other people haven't either!

Social source share

Guest chorleybloke

(quote name='dave pinch' timestamp='1353274723' post='1826353')

https://www.popsike.com/php/quicksearch.php?searchtext=lillie+bryant&x=11&y=10

(quote)

Only seen about 10 myself, would love the issue. great record. but was it as big a tune as it is now, these days in our search for more.

The scruffy looking white demo on Popsike is currently sitting in my box. I bought it in a private auction in December 2008 off someone in UK (can't remember who but he was from darn sarf) so presumably it was he who won it off eBay 6 months earlier for USD1526. At that time USD1526 was worth about GBP780 and I paid GBP1000 so he made a decent margin but I was happy as a pig in shit despite the label damage because the vinyl is virtually flawless. This latest sale at USD1391 equates to GBP875 and the vinyl is worse than VG minus so I still think I got a decent deal. Be niceif the label was gleaming white but you can't have it all I suppose.

Cheers......Pete

Social source share

well its certainly does rip it off pete.... the promo is probably as rare as the stock imho tho...........off topic a little i wonder if parkway withdrew christine coopers `heartaches away` for ripping off the supremes and how curtis mayfield got away with cant satisfy as thats too close to the isleys TOHOM ..i`ll never know

Hi Dave, good point but infact Curtis didn't get away with the similarity in "Can't Satisfy" and "This Old Heart Of Mine". He apparently had to give up publishing rights to Jobete on that one!

Didn't stop a lot of groups copying the Impressions sound verbatim though!

Cheers,

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Mark ,I just thought that it was on overall,a relative motown sounding obscurity that had lost its interest,bootlegged many years ago and then forgotten about....I popped the question to see what others thought ! Apparently then it is still very rare and indemand -even shagged out copies. The mind boggles at what a mint demo would go for... :ohmy: in a uk dealers auction....

John Manship sold one a couple of years back!

Social source share

Guest soultan

The scruffy looking white demo on Popsike is currently sitting in my box. I bought it in a private auction in December 2008 off someone in UK (can't remember who but he was from darn sarf) so presumably it was he who won it off eBay 6 months earlier for USD1526. At that time USD1526 was worth about GBP780 and I paid GBP1000 so he made a decent margin but I was happy as a pig in shit despite the label damage because the vinyl is virtually flawless. This latest sale at USD1391 equates to GBP875 and the vinyl is worse than VG minus so I still think I got a decent deal. Be niceif the label was gleaming white but you can't have it all I suppose.

Cheers......Pete

despite the label damage i am still jealous

Social source share

Cheers......Pete

Not quite as good as the Gwen Owens demo you got off me then Pete

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!