The Northern Soul Top 500-Definitive Edition. Nov 30Th

Goldsoul

I would imagine these are very popular last few years in many venues well they are the most asked for tunes on the scooter scene last few years.

1- the snake

2- Duffy

3- Frank Wilson

Can I donate my prize to charitee

Well I'm no connoisseur(not even sure I can spell it) but I'll be giving them venues a swerve (can you list them for me)

Best regards

Social source share

(Knowingly and reluctantly keeping the thread going, thus adding to the spin but a genuine question)

What does each entry contain? Is it just a listing of the record with a label scan or is there some background and history to the record and artist?

I'm not bothered about the order of the records (which is pretty subjective IMHO) but I'd be interested in the history behind each record. As well as stuff like who the artist was, where it was recorded, who else was involved, etc I'd also be interested in the history of the record on the scene i.e. who discovered it and when, first plays where was it big etc etc.

Is any of that in there?

Social source share

Frank Wilson produced , The Supremes 'Stoned Love ' with Jean Terrell on lead vocals could feature somewhere ? The spoken intro version in particular is a floor packer at the mo in main rooms everywhere .

Wishful thinking from me perhaps that R L Burnside might be 'bubbling under ' :lol:

Looking forward to the book .

Edited by andybellwood
Social source share

(Knowingly and reluctantly keeping the thread going, thus adding to the spin but a genuine question)

What does each entry contain? Is it just a listing of the record with a label scan or is there some background and history to the record and artist?

I'm not bothered about the order of the records (which is pretty subjective IMHO) but I'd be interested in the history behind each record. As well as stuff like who the artist was, where it was recorded, who else was involved, etc I'd also be interested in the history of the record on the scene i.e. who discovered it and when, first plays where was it big etc etc.

Is any of that in there?

Relevant background info and useful trivia on all entries. Hopefully after 40 years on the scene, I have enough info for you!

Social source share

Relevant background info and useful trivia on all entries. Hopefully after 40 years on the scene, I have enough info for you!

I don't know what that means and I've no idea whether you do.

I just wanted to know what is in the book, I'll wait and look at somebody else's.

Social source share

1 - Frank W

2 - Tobi Leg-end

3 - Jimmy Radcliffe.

Send the book to Mansfield,Kev.(5th most influential soul town). :)

Kev- Tobi and Jimmy are way off in the current climate(you should get out more lol). It's all about Timebox and Bob Sinclair these days :lol:

Oddly enough, Beggin' was a Folk House monster in 1969. The Strange World of Northern Soul indeed.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev- Tobi and Jimmy are way off in the current climate(you should get out more lol). It's all about Timebox and Bob Sinclair these days :lol:

Oddly enough, Beggin' was a Folk House monster in 1969. The Strange World of Northern Soul indeed.

:lol: .Its all Dutch to me Kev.Timebox sounds like a website for watches,and wasn't Bob Sinclair the host of Blockbusters?

Folk House '69,before my time.......

Edited by KevH
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Thankfully not where we go kev :huh:

Steve in Mansfield ( 4th most backward looking soul town) :ohmy:

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Nobody really knows where these records were played first do they? We only relate to where we first heard them, so if I first heard Lillie Bryant at Wigan, I associate it as being a Wigan record whereas someone else says it's a Blackpool record..

Edited by Pete S
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Got the first book....funnily enough not been able to buy much at those prices....Soul In The Sun...that's in the Okey Cokey top 500. I'm sure Derek Meads second record after me in London was Elbie Parker..Adventurers Easy Baby has had a little revival as has Al Kent The Way you've Been Acting lately....I predict Frank Wilson to have dropped a few places...Zu Zu is definately up there as a new entry...looking forward to a new book wish I knew about the voting.

Social source share

A top 500 does not make any sense at all if it's based on CURRENT dancefloor favourites because that will all change in a months time. So it can only be based on a record's history and it's quality and longevity. I bet some of the stuff in the last book is nowhere near this book. And even then, it's subjective to the author, and of course most people have a different all time favourite.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm no Northern Soul snob, in fact I'm quite the opposite, and I doubt if anyone else has had more UK produced Northern 45's than I have to be honest, but no way in a million years is "Beggin'" by Timebox a Northern Soul record. It's a Mod record. Who plays "Beggin'" by Timebox as Northern Soul?

Carl Willingham played it in the main room at Kings Hall a few months back to a packed floor.

As, I'm led to believe, have many other DJs at predomintaely oldies orientated venues.

So does that make it a Northern Soul record?

As very few records are purpose made to be 'Northern Soul' records, I'd say the definition is created by the acceptance of the 'scene' on the dancefloor....this version does seem to have gained increasing popularity and acceptance on the Northern Scene, and so by default could be now described as a Northern Soul Record.

As a side note, I wouldn't define it as a Mod record either......but as that scene has a wider variety of appreciated genres of music than the Northern Scene I'm sure some will beg to differ.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Carl Willingham played it in the main room at Kings Hall a few months back to a packed floor.

As, I'm led to believe, have many other DJs at predomintaely oldies orientated venues.

So does that make it a Northern Soul record?

No it doesn't, why would it?

Are you saying if Carl Willingham played "Hey Jude" by The Beatles in the Main Room at Kings Hall, we'd have to ask ourselves if that was Northern?

• Helpful 2
Social source share

No it doesn't, why would it?

Are you saying if Carl Willingham played "Hey Jude" by The Beatles in the Main Room at Kings Hall, we'd have to ask ourselves if that was Northern?

A silly comparison Pete.

as you well know, there are lots of blue eyed soul/pop records that have been accepted by the Northern Scene over the whole history of the scene....this is just another to the list.

I should imagine Timebox was probably played at the Wheel revival nights, though don't know this for sure.

The only person I have heard play it out is Carl Willingham at KH...the floor was packed.....I know lots of people on the scene who want a copy of either version.....its been accepted by the scene so that kinda seals the deal imo.

The fact that you (and others) don't think that's right is of no consequence....it's happened....with or without your seal of approval.

Furthermore, it's a piss weak record full stop......and I don't know many, if any, DJs on the Mod scene that would touch it with a shitty stick.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

A silly comparison Pete.

as you well know, there are lots of blue eyed soul/pop records that have been accepted by the Northern Scene over the whole history of the scene....this is just another to the list.

I should imagine Timebox was probably played at the Wheel revival nights, though don't know this for sure.

The only person I have heard play it out is Carl Willingham at KH...the floor was packed.....I know lots of people on the scene who want a copy of either version.....its been accepted by the scene so that kinda seals the deal imo.

The fact that you (and others) don't think that's right is of no consequence....it's happened....with or without your seal of approval.

Furthermore, it's a piss weak record full stop......and I don't know many, if any, DJs on the Mod scene that would touch it with a shitty stick.

I don't agree that it's a weak record, I think it's a great record, I remember it being played on Radio 1 when it was first released back in 1968, liked it then, like it now. Just don't really see how it can suddenly become a Northern record.

Social source share