The Northern Soul Top 500-Definitive Edition. Nov 30Th

Goldsoul

I've a copy of Pyramid and I've never played it out!! I love the record from the days of Ian Clark playing it....it is an 80 s giffer though and I can't imagine anyone wanting to dance to it though.

If its surplus to requirements :wink: .......i always dance to it btw.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Keep seeing things like Timebox, Stoned Love & Bob Sinclair mentioned on here & people saying they are not Northern.

Now I'll agree that Timebox is a Mod classic, that Stoned Love is classic Motown & that Bob Sinclair is Soulful Danceable House (at it's worst & that's not a dig at Soulful House cos I love the genre).

Simple fact of the matter though is that if they are constantly played on the Northern scene they are Northern Soul.

End of the day everything on the Northern Soul scene has been cherry picked from other musical genre's so get over it.

Now onto the book. Will I buy it to go alongside the first one?

If it is a true reflection of what is happening out there then probably yes.

If it's nothing more than a promotional tool to plug Goldsoul & Goldsoul events then probably no.

Awaiting revue's with interest.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Been away Mr Roberts and just come back on here to see you asking about me in your 1st post...

How nice of you...

Your self promotion is out of the circus and thats where you belong....

Luvverrllyy. See you at the Kings Hall December 1st. The books are shrink wrapped, but had to open yours in order to sign it.

Social source share

Keep seeing things like Timebox, Stoned Love & Bob Sinclair mentioned on here & people saying they are not Northern.

Now I'll agree that Timebox is a Mod classic, that Stoned Love is classic Motown & that Bob Sinclair is Soulful Danceable House (at it's worst & that's not a dig at Soulful House cos I love the genre).

Simple fact of the matter though is that if they are constantly played on the Northern scene they are Northern Soul.

End of the day everything on the Northern Soul scene has been cherry picked from other musical genre's so get over it.

They might be flavour of the month for some DJ's but are you or anyone else seriously suggesting that they are amongst he definitive top 500 Northern Soul/Rare soul records of the last 40 odd years?

I doubt they would make the top 5000.

Stoned Love wouldn't even make the top 500 Motown records.

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Carl Willingham played it in the main room at Kings Hall a few months back to a packed floor.

As, I'm led to believe, have many other DJs at predomintaely oldies orientated venues.

So does that make it a Northern Soul record?

As very few records are purpose made to be 'Northern Soul' records, I'd say the definition is created by the acceptance of the 'scene' on the dancefloor....this version does seem to have gained increasing popularity and acceptance on the Northern Scene, and so by default could be now described as a Northern Soul Record.

As a side note, I wouldn't define it as a Mod record either......but as that scene has a wider variety of appreciated genres of music than the Northern Scene I'm sure some will beg to differ.

Was definately played on the mod scene in 86/87.....just after Berts Apple Crumble was big and everyone was mining the Derams.... (funnily enough the best Deram 45 and northern soul is Danny Williams-Everybody Needs Somebody...and totally ignored)...things like Heart Trouble were also spun......There was a spate of latin records as well being played and ive just recently got rid of 2 copies of Pete Rodriguez I Like It Like that at silly money prices.....I hope this carries on as i can busily buy the uptempo "mirwood style" stompers at good prices... and offload these 80s oddities.....what next Maximillion-The Snake,Shmon,Ray Jay-Love Doll,Ricardo Ray-Nitty Gritty, Ray Barretto-Soul Drummers,Willie Bobo-Juicy..... northern soul "Post Millenium" The Scrambled Egg Years.

Edited by wiggyflat
Social source share

Pete-A lot of chart positions have changed to accomodate popular floor fillers today. That means Beggin-Timebox but also This Is My Rainy Day-The Parliaments. The images are also in colour, which was price prohibitive 12 years ago.

Please buy it......its the difference between a Steak and Kidney Pie or Turkey Dinner :D

Time box - Beggin seems like we are looking for main room tunes other than playing good northern but it filled the floor at Blackpool would prefere real northern of which there are hundreds better than this not played over the weekend.

Had great time

Stin

What a Place to DJ in

Social source share

They might be flavour of the month for some DJ's but are you or anyone else seriously suggesting that they are amongst he definitive top 500 Northern Soul/Rare soul records of the last 40 odd years?

I doubt they would make the top 5000.

Stoned Love wouldn't even make the top 500 Motown records.

Totally agree Chalky but is the book about the last 40 years or an update of the last book?

Point I was trying to make is that if they are constantly played for a while at certain 'big' venues under the Northern banner & filling floors then they are Northern Soul regardless of what we think of them.

As for the piss poor Bob Sinclair tripe the Northern rooms can bloody have it if it stops it getting played in Modern rooms :yes:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I'm no Northern Soul snob, in fact I'm quite the opposite, and I doubt if anyone else has had more UK produced Northern 45's than I have to be honest, but no way in a million years is "Beggin'" by Timebox a Northern Soul record. It's a Mod record. Who plays "Beggin'" by Timebox as Northern Soul?

Steve Croft used to play it regularly at Bradford Queens Hall inter around 88/89

Social source share

I'm no Northern Soul snob, in fact I'm quite the opposite, and I doubt if anyone else has had more UK produced Northern 45's than I have to be honest, but no way in a million years is "Beggin'" by Timebox a Northern Soul record. It's a Mod record. Who plays "Beggin'" by Timebox as Northern Soul?

Pete-Im with you all the way on this 45 - dont get it at all and would'nt want to hear it out at a northern night

Social source share

I bought the first and second editions of this book, the first was absolutely brilliant, and I love that book, and it was nice to get that all again in the second, but I have to say I'm simply not convinced Kev that you have done enough in the later editions to justify the asking price, and I mean that without malice, which seems to be something you attract.

This is a great book, but you need to write another great book to follow it, and that has to be a new idea, a new book, cause this just seems like a con to me...

Any how I found a good use for the second edition since then, Its now a book end propping up a shelf. Looks nice but there is no reason to read it cause I have the first.

Mal.C. :elvis:

post-2025-0-80451100-1353363909_thumb.jp

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I bought the first and second editions of this book, the first was absolutely brilliant, and I love that book, and it was nice to get that all again in the second, but I have to say I'm simply not convinced Kev that you have done enough in the later editions to justify the asking price, and I mean that without malice, which seems to be something you attract.

This is a great book, but you need to write another great book to follow it, and that has to be a new idea, a new book, cause this just seems like a con to me...

i agree like you i have the first two to be honest i never more than flicked through the second, like the poster above i got the second signed by frank wilson etc maybee without that i wouldnt have bought the second either but for sure i wouldnt buy a third [or fourth or fifth......]

Social source share

Was definately played on the mod scene in 86/87.....just after Berts Apple Crumble was big and everyone was mining the Derams....

I don't recall any interest in Beggin' at that time, it was maybe popular between a few collectors/DJs in selected areas but never on large scale...... then again, when a certain section of the mod scene went all fcukin 'swirly' who knows what got played.

'Berts Apple Crumble' on the other hand is indeed a proper Mod record, and really shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentance as this turd of a tune.

As for the others oddities you mention, most will (rightly) never get any attention on the Northern Scene....Sh'mon & The Snake(Maximillian) etc, but didn't Soul Drummers get spins at 100 Club during the late 80s?.....and sure I have heard that Ray Ricardo - Nitty Gritty was played at the Torch ?

Edited by Mace
Social source share

Any how I found a good use for the second edition since then, Its now a book end propping up a shelf. Looks nice but there is no reason to read it cause I have the first.

Most of us have the 1st book i should think , was a very good book indeed and one i would go back to time and again...

I did look at the second edition but no need to buy....

Don't worry Mr Roberts, there are plenty folk who will still feed your ego and your bank account.. This topic will make sure of that as you know will all the hits and bumps its getting... :wicked:

I will take up your offer of a signed copy if you come up with a new idea for a book.. :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Most of us have the 1st book i should think , was a very good book indeed and one i would go back to time and again...

I did look at the second edition but no need to buy....

Don't worry Mr Roberts, there are plenty folk who will still feed your ego and your bank account.. This topic will make sure of that as you know will all the hits and bumps its getting... :wicked:

I will take up your offer of a signed copy if you come up with a new idea for a book.. :hatsoff2: :hatsoff2:

There you go again with that aggression...........calm, calm, calmer........there, that's it

Social source share

Sorry Dave we have met and i don´t love it to pieces :ohmy: its ok and a bit messy (to me) but His(Butch´s) Temptones or Diane Lewis are much better!

Steve

Would imagine Jimmie Bo Horne would be high up in the list?

I agree with Steve, the Mello Souls is a dead duck for most dancers and that is exactly why it's only popular among collectors plus the fact the original is almost impossible to get.

It is messy, although I like it personally. But the dance floor doesn't lie.

Same happened in most eras of the scene, The Inticers for instance on Baby Luv-fantastic but dancers disagree.

Jimmy Bo is in the book.

Social source share

had the first book....not read the second,even though i dj'd with you at the launch in bristol ;-)...not sure about a third..to be honest manships guide doesnt seem to have enuff changes from the last..is this any different?

surely jt parker,kindly shepherds and some of the big funky floorfillers are there like angela davis ?...maybe rnb,gospel and funk but still filling floors on the northern scene

dean

Social source share

had the first book....not read the second,even though i dj'd with you at the launch in bristol ;-)...not sure about a third..to be honest manships guide doesnt seem to have enuff changes from the last..is this any different?

surely jt parker,kindly shepherds and some of the big funky floorfillers are there like angela davis ?...maybe rnb,gospel and funk but still filling floors on the northern scene

dean

Hi Dean- The book has a fair amount of changes.

The Fast n Funky new trend is certainly progressing, but there isn't many that are really doing big business at the main venues.

Hopefully we will witness a revolution, but it's going to take a mass influx of new souls to oust the likes of Billy Butler's-Right Track.

Social source share

I'm sorry but that just does not hold true.

What about the many plays of the vocal of DOUBLE BARREL at Kings Hall Stoke (A Northern Soul allnighter).

Try convincing me that that turns into Northern Soul after X amount of plays.

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Was definately played on the mod scene in 86/87.....just after Berts Apple Crumble was big and everyone was mining the Derams.... (funnily enough the best Deram 45 and northern soul is Danny Williams-Everybody Needs Somebody...and totally ignored)...things like Heart Trouble were also spun......There was a spate of latin records as well being played and ive just recently got rid of 2 copies of Pete Rodriguez I Like It Like that at silly money prices.....I hope this carries on as i can busily buy the uptempo "mirwood style" stompers at good prices... and offload these 80s oddities.....what next Maximillion-The Snake,Shmon,Ray Jay-Love Doll,Ricardo Ray-Nitty Gritty, Ray Barretto-Soul Drummers,Willie Bobo-Juicy..... northern soul "Post Millenium" The Scrambled Egg Years.

My best Deram's are Danny Williams ' Whose Little Girl Are You and Double Feature - Baby get your head screwed on.

Oh and The Laughing Gnome of course.

Social source share

What about the many plays of the vocal of DOUBLE BARREL at Kings Hall Stoke (A Northern Soul allnighter).

Pete- I agree with you and Cunnie too!

When do these oddities(to the scene) become fully fledged Northern Soul items, I guess when they are played at most venues.

Bob Sinclair, Back Slop-Baby Earl, Beggin are fully encrusted now on NS Playlists.

The jury's out on the the Double Barrell vocal and 54-46 which occasionally gets played, although I don't agree with it at the Kings Hall, even though I'm the promoter.

But then again,I don't dance and clearly with the mass influx, that's what its all about.

Nothings really changed though since the 70's..........My tastes(Billy Prophet, The Inspirations, Sandra Philips) others back then ...I'm Shaft, Ladies Choice, Music Maker, Falbala(ouch) etc etc

Social source share

i sold my 7 " copy of McKay 'take me over' and regretted every since . Once known at venues a floor packer and currently chased by many collectors and DJs which may indicate increased popularity in the months to come . Pete Lyster played both sides at last Riley Smith Hall
Social source share

i sold my 7 " copy of McKay 'take me over' and regretted every since . Once known at venues a floor packer and currently chased by many collectors and DJs which may indicate increased popularity in the months to come . Pete Lyster played both sides at last Riley Smith Hall

just a cd copy and its a mediocre record ! Cheese for the masses ?
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

Yes but it's a reggae record, that's the point I'm trying to make, is this a new genre - Northern Reggae?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Pete- I agree with you and Cunnie too!

When do these oddities(to the scene) become fully fledged Northern Soul items, I guess when they are played at most venues.

Bob Sinclair, Back Slop-Baby Earl, Beggin are fully encrusted now on NS Playlists.

The jury's out on the the Double Barrell vocal and 54-46 which occasionally gets played, although I don't agree with it at the Kings Hall, even though I'm the promoter.

But then again,I don't dance and clearly with the mass influx, that's what its all about.

Nothings really changed though since the 70's..........My tastes(Billy Prophet, The Inspirations, Sandra Philips) others back then ...I'm Shaft, Ladies Choice, Music Maker, Falbala(ouch) etc etc

Kev, people love to dance to them, fine, but at the end of the day, Double Barrel and The Maytals are out and out reggae classics,. I just don't see where they fit in.

Social source share

I don't recall any interest in Beggin' at that time, it was maybe popular between a few collectors/DJs in selected areas but never on large scale...... then again, when a certain section of the mod scene went all fcukin 'swirly' who knows what got played.

'Berts Apple Crumble' on the other hand is indeed a proper Mod record, and really shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentance as this turd of a tune.

As for the others oddities you mention, most will (rightly) never get any attention on the Northern Scene....Sh'mon & The Snake(Maximillian) etc, but didn't Soul Drummers get spins at 100 Club during the late 80s?.....and sure I have heard that Ray Ricardo - Nitty Gritty was played at the Torch ?

Or maybe Shirley Ellis version?

• Helpful 1
Social source share

ive always said and gogo is proof a little reggae and ska can go down well at soul nites..for us its the last 15 mins...personally i think its has more in common with 60s soul then modern soul has....but putting reggae classics in a northern soul top 500 would be one step too far

I was trying to advocate this on here 10 years ago and everyone said I was a tw*t for even suggesting it.

Now it's flavour of the month and they have separate ska rooms at venues.

n.b. at that do in Dudley they let me do a ska room for 2 weeks then the next time they changed it to an r&b room without even telling me, that would have been 2004/2005.

I think separate rooms are a good idea but I don't see any point in integrating the different types of music in one big room if you're advertising a Northern Soul event

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

Hate to be the bearer of bad news but Stoned Love was played at Wigan as an oldie by Russ and Dave Evison. Remember it clearly. Tended to empty the floor. Maybe played 3/4 times by DE.He tried to revitalise it but the dancers disagreed. He also played The Letter and other things that MAY have been played before BUT had lost their appeal by then. Oh and dont forget Sweet Talking Guy INST by Russ.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I was trying to advocate this on here 10 years ago and everyone said I was a tw*t for even suggesting it.

Now it's flavour of the month and they have separate ska rooms at venues.

n.b. at that do in Dudley they let me do a ska room for 2 weeks then the next time they changed it to an r&b room without even telling me, that would have been 2004/2005.

I think separate rooms are a good idea but I don't see any point in integrating the different types of music in one big room if you're advertising a Northern Soul event

maybe... but personally speaking gogo children has never been advertised as a northern soul night ...despite playing loads of it weve always played most other 60s genres ...to start with inc british beat/mod (hence the name) but over 5 years has grown to be mainly northern and rnb but with a chunk of funk,a slice of ska and a sprinklin of latin...anyway enuff self promotion ;-)

Edited by spacehopper
Social source share

..THE EMPERORS NEW CLOTHES..Northern soul has changed beyond understanding since the early or glory days..i dont need a book to tell me or advise me what are the top 500 NS records..as for new stuff..i can find out all about that from SOUL SOURCE/YOU TUBE ETC..I have the 1st book and its worth a read..i go to it once in a while..its a bit like a manship guide once you have one do you really need another.(.i'm fascinated by the transformation of the scene..and love the buzz words of handbaggers,fancy dress brigade,chin strokers,die hards..etc.).its like someone trying to compile a top 500 antiques or top 500 must see ancient sites..EVERYONE has their own 500..and opinion of what is or isnt northern soul..the NS scene has always had its fair share of sheep..and promoters and opportunists willing to exploit that..will it ever turn full circle and play proper northern soul circa 73/74..i doubt it..i recently took an american friend to a northern soul night at the city hall in Sheffield..unfortunately it was nothing like i'd described..give me Terrible Tom anyday..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev, people love to dance to them, fine, but at the end of the day, Double Barrel and The Maytals are out and out reggae classics,. I just don't see where they fit in.

Couldn't agree more, except the scene right now appears to be accepting the 50's, Disco and Reggae. Some break through into the '500' others wither away. The way it is...at present.

Social source share

maybe... but personally speaking gogo children has never been advertised as a northern soul night ...despite playing loads of it weve always played most other 60s genres ...to start with inc british beat/mod (hence the name) but over 5 years has grown to be mainly northern and rnb but with a chunk of funk,a slice of ska and a sprinklin of latin...anyway enuff self promotion ;-)

No but that sounds like a great mix, and it's not being advertised as a NS night, so no probs whatsoever

Social source share

If the scene got behing more 'You Succeeded-Sandra Philips types, I would be a happy compiler. The dancer though always has the final word.

So how many all nighters have you actually been to in the last 30 years other than ones you promote?

Edited by jocko
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Still cannot understand the fascination with this. The Four Seasons is quality in comparison and as cheap, if not cheaper. No excuses not to play it really.

Agree Terry

4 Seasons every time ! -Timebox is a straight copy- but crossed into the Scene via Mod / Scooter exposure and the scene likes a nice UK issued rarity !

But Kev is reflecting on Dance floor reaction on todays scene and its a PACKER where ever you go !

Rob

Social source share

If the scene got behing more 'You Succeeded-Sandra Philips types, I would be a happy compiler. The dancer though always has the final word.

..if the top 500 is based on dancefloor action or reaction..then nobody can argue..i actually thought it was based more on collectors,DJ's,respected NS individuals,generally people who've been on the scene a while etc..its a vote with your feet poll..i dread to think what would have been the outcome should a book have been polled during say 76-77 when levines tailor mades and disco dirge were spun..much the same i guess..Torch diehards v mecca shufflers..you cant keep everyone happy..even if someone compiled the absolute best ever 500 of true northern,underplayed,rare,broke the mould,created the mould..and unreleased gems..it wouldn't be as hit..should've been available in 74..i think its a coffee table book ..nothing more..nothing less..

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Kev having bought this book twice already, should I buy it again? Not knocking it, I think it's in the top 3 books ever, but is it a lot different from edition 2?

in the top 3 books ever! like with the bible and war and peace, or maybe shakespear's collected works and Dicken's Great expectations maybe. I hear it maybe on the gcse english cannon soon.

Edited by geeselad
Social source share

Chalky-Good valid comments except don't fall into the trap that todays scene are made up of returnees. Judging by the numbers at big do's, it's more a case of the 'Jean Genie' 'Bohemian Rhapsody' person has switched to Northern as there really isn't anywhere for them to go .

I mean, when did you last see an advert in the local rag for a Top 70's night playing Racey, Chris Spedding and Pickettywich? Simple...there isn't one. SOUL is the only game in town!

The reality is, the 'newbies' have obviously been smitten with Frank Wilson, Dobie Gray and Bobby Womack but to be fair, they are enjoying The Tempests and in some case This Is My Rainy Day.

To a more hardened fan, it all gets a bit strange when 'newbie' is into Paul Anka, Bob Sinclair, Julian Covey and Get Ready-The Temptations in the same set. Since my original book 12 years ago, the scene has expanded as you know only too well. For me as a promoter its good news but then again I have competition from every town and in a lot of cases, regular fans now running nights every weekend...just to DJ.

Welcome to the Northern mass scene....2012.

Well Kev is the competition still open & I do agree with your comments above.

But this is your top three as played for the masses at your friday night club in the main room at Derby at Rolls-Royce.

So here we go, going along with what the masses love & dance to;

In at One "Young Hearts Run Free - Candi Staton"

coming in at number two "Lets Go Round Again - Average White Band"

& last but not least "I Love Music - The O'jays" at Three

So hey I hope the book captures these. :lamsey:

& yes Kev I Do know there's a dedicated soul room in the rear (Lovely & Cold with no bar most of the time playing your original Top 500)

But musics all about money. :dash2:

P.S. pm me you can bring the book to willington soul club second Saturday of the month

Cheers

Martin

Social source share

Do you know what? you should simply every year look at the records outside of the initial 500, you don't need to reiterate it for filler, and that approach allows a series of books to grow organically, you add how ever many new records come into or back into vogue as the case generally is in the past year,or how ever long, and explore the unknown things which I'm sure are in your collection, or have been at one time or another...

I'd buy a book like that, as a collector, or dancer, or fan, something looking at trends, using the music or specific releases is a great way to chronicle Northern soul, throw in the new venues don't bother with endless lists, just good editorial content, good photography, guest contributors, get these people who have done the dancing on the northern soul film involved, engage with as many newbies as you can as to what they like, and it becomes endless...

and stop grovelling to people to buy your book, its not cool..

Mal.C

Edited by Mal.C.
Social source share

been played twice in the last 6 months at gogo children by two diferent djs to a full dancefloor...damn cant stop promoting...one day i must make some money!

• Helpful 1
Social source share

two books...current top 500 oldies.....top 500 newbies,inc the uptempo funky stuff etc...the newbies would have to be compiled on line by djs,punters,promoters all over the country though based on dancefloor reactions at diffferent events not just the big goldsoul ones for it to be a fair representation...IMO

• Helpful 2
Social source share