The Northern Soul Top 500-Definitive Edition. Nov 30Th

Goldsoul

It's funny Peter I keep reading "the scene was dead in the 80's" from people I don't remember seeing in venues up and down he country. The scene ws very much alive and thriving in my experience.

Blimey Chalky you where only 10 in the 80,s I remember see,in you at the odd venue with yer Dad Andy Dyson lol

Social source share

Sneak Peek preview anyone.......

80's spin Elbie Parker is at 407 while Jackie Day-Naughty Boy is at 420. Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas for you Stafford fans :D

Meanwhile back at 338 its The Flirtations-Stronger Than Her Love.....Mark Freeman show your appreciation :P

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Hey if you don't buy my new book, there'll be no turkey this Christmas. The kids will be getting an apple and orange at best, so please, give generously x

https://www.goldsoul....t&product_id=68

Images now in full colour, this is a perfect Christmas gift to all. Available from Goldsoul, Amazon and good record stores such as Beatin' Rhythm(Manchester)

Hopefully receiving favourable reviews from Steve Cato, Mike Lofthouse, Trev Thomas fairly soon.

Signed copies at no extra cost.

How much is postage to Europe, please? Couldn't see it on the site you linked to...

Social source share

Chalky-Good valid comments except don't fall into the trap that todays scene are made up of returnees. Judging by the numbers at big do's, it's more a case of the 'Jean Genie' 'Bohemian Rhapsody' person has switched to Northern as there really isn't anywhere for them to go .

I mean, when did you last see an advert in the local rag for a Top 70's night playing Racey, Chris Spedding and Pickettywich? Simple...there isn't one. SOUL is the only game in town!

The reality is, the 'newbies' have obviously been smitten with Frank Wilson, Dobie Gray and Bobby Womack but to be fair, they are enjoying The Tempests and in some case This Is My Rainy Day.

To a more hardened fan, it all gets a bit strange when 'newbie' is into Paul Anka, Bob Sinclair, Julian Covey and Get Ready-The Temptations in the same set. Since my original book 12 years ago, the scene has expanded as you know only too well. For me as a promoter its good news but then again I have competition from every town and in a lot of cases, regular fans now running nights every weekend...just to DJ.

Welcome to the Northern mass scene....2012.

i think your right there kev about the jean jeanie brigade now turnin to northern for somethin to do.......i personally wished they bugger off tho as they are swamping the rest of us

• Helpful 1
Social source share

No I was just stating a fact that NS almost disappeared in the 80's...

It may have for you, but we were doing nighters every week, hardly disappeared and certainly not fact.

Social source share

I was doing anything between 2 and 5 venues every weekend, odd one in the week as well. I went to many nighters and soul nights that were rammed. Yes some low on numbers but it hadn't disappeared like some of you seem to think. Many of today spins are 80's discoveries as well. All the DJs had imagination, playing sets they believed in and dancers more than appreciated.

The 90's saw the scene go so far backwards it was the 70's all over again and that is where it has stayed with sheep for DJ's with no imagination playing the same few hundred records.

If it wasn't for those in the 80's there would have been nothing for the "returnees" to come back to.

I do think that some people want to view the scene as dead in the 80s as they decided it was not for them after a handful of years on the scene (btw not you Pete, don't know whether you was there or not).

Only then when they return to pretend they didn't miss anything. Like you say Chalky a weekend could be a soul night in Long Eaton, Soul Night or Nighter Friday, Nighter Saturday and a soul night or dayer Sunday. But hey the scene was dead then, bless em :)

Social source share

It may have for you, but we were doing nighters every week, hardly disappeared and certainly not fact.

If you're trying to tell me the early 80's were the halcyon days of Northern Soul, I'm afraid we shall have to disagree.

I'm talking about numbers.

From 1978 onwards people left the scene in their thousands and nobody replaced them.

That's fact!

Social source share

If you're trying to tell me the early 80's were the halcyon days of Northern Soul, I'm afraid we shall have to disagree.

From 1978 onwards people left the scene in their thousands and nobody replaced them.

That's fact!

Where do you read my trying to tell you the 80s are the halcyon days. Big gap between that and the scene having almost disappeared isn't there.. Ahem... Fact.

Don't know if this link will work but here's a snippet of the scene some would like us to believe was almost dead in the 80s

Edit Wrong link. Here's the right one I think

Edited by Byrney
Social source share

That's fact!

depends , they were definatly halcyon days for me, because thats when i started going, keb, guy, ian clark, rob marriot etc were playing records that were right up my street, i have to say, most of the 80's venues previously mentioned were pretty well attened, however, lets take off the rose tinted glasses regards stafford, brilliant music, yes, but most of the time the place was half empty, but having said that, still my favourite venue ever

Social source share

dreaming about TOTW Stafford, first visits to the 100club, buying Kent Lp`s, writing first letters to Ady Croasdell (never getting an answer LOL), having Inferno Records "Detroit A-Go-Go" on my walkman while doing my job as a cleaning man at Lufthansa every day before school to earn the money for my first treasured Northern Soul 45s, waiting for the Soul Bowl list to arrive on a friday, sending money in letters and hunting down the first us soul 45s warehouses: the eighties were SIMPLY FABULOUS...for me. LOL

• Helpful 1
Social source share

dreaming about TOTW Stafford, first visits to the 100club, buying Kent Lp`s, writing first letters to Ady Croasdell (never getting an answer LOL), having Inferno Records "Detroit A-Go-Go" on my walkman while doing my job as a cleaning man at Lufthansa every day before school to earn the money for my first treasured Northern Soul 45s, waiting for the Soul Bowl list to arrive on a friday, sending money in letters and hunting down the first us soul 45s warehouses: the eighties were SIMPLY FABULOUS...for me. LOL

marc, you've just described my life circa 1982 / 3, well almost, i never worked for lufthansa, and i dont recall ever writing a letter to ady

Social source share

The weirdest thing of all in the last decade or so, is how and why some tracks reach astonomic proportions floor wise.

Here's a few leaders:

Bob Sinclair How/Why?

Paul Anka 'When'. Bigger now than the 70's

Billy Davis 'Stanky'. Soul packs in 72

Hamilton Movement. A grand and lukewarm in Northern arenas now 2 and half and floor filling

Soul In The Sun- Tommy Hunt.

Then again, I guess Travis Wammack- Scratchy sounded weird alongside You've Been Cheatin back in 66.

Social source share

marc, you've just described my life circa 1982 / 3, well almost, i never worked for lufthansa, and i dont recall ever writing a letter to ady

you missed nth re writting letters but you missed out on luftansa, they paid a pretty nice wage back then. I got fired though when I lost their master key after I had a few too many at a party I "foolishly" decided to attend before going to work ;)

Social source share

sorry kev wigan for gary rushbrooke 80-81 ish

Yep Elbie Parker was Huge late Wigan / Clifton Hall tune for Gary.

Agreed 80's was quieter than the 70's but it brought a lot of new and young devotees and hung on to hardcore Soul fans.

The diversity in music, early to mid 80's, was incredible and I'll bet many of the discoveries of that time are the tunes now making their way into the new Top 500', replacing the classic Torch and early Wigan Stomper!

It will be interesting to see how the content of the book compares with the first edition.

And to see where the 'new entries' are and in what period they were discovered!

All the best,

Sean

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Agree Joe jama must be high as well....and that Latin track Sugar....Beggin was an 80 s mod spin ...as was Pow Wow....Twinkle little star ...heard that in 3 different countries..Detroit Soul must be in the top 20...Flame n king must be pretty high.How does the data get collated for the 500 ?

Social source share

Got the first two and probably don't need a third but no doubt some will feel inclined to buy it, so good luck to them and Kev.

I was not specifically on the scene in the 80's preferring to listen to contemporary stuff courtesy of Richard S and the sttuff adopted by Rod Deerlove, but I will remain eternally grateful that the scene was maintained by the guys at Stafford and Ady C and all the other people who ran venues in the 80's that allowed me to be aware of the stuff being discovered and played then which I then fully appreciated when the time was right to come back.

Attendance wise, it might have been a bit thin but music wise, the quality of stuff from the 80's definitely stacks up against the very best of that discovered in the 70's.

Social source share

Agree Joe jama must be high as well....and that Latin track Sugar....Beggin was an 80 s mod spin ...as was Pow Wow....Twinkle little star ...heard that in 3 different countries..Detroit Soul must be in the top 20...Flame n king must be pretty high.How does the data get collated for the 500 ?

Kevin- A general overview of what I see at the venues I frequent backed up by DJ feedback plus a survey to over 1,000 on Facebook late last year.

Most of the titles are in there.

Social source share

I would imagine these are very popular last few years in many venues well they are the most asked for tunes on the scooter scene last few years.

1- the snake

2- Duffy

3- Frank Wilson

Can I donate my prize to charitee

Social source share