Venezuelan Latin Lps

I note that Manship is auctioning a Bobby Valentin Fania LP on a Venezuelan press...I have always been under the impression that these were latter day re-presses...is that not the case?

Many titles from the mighty caralogues of Fania, Tico, Cotique and Allegre were all readily available and being imported into the UK during the early 90's...London was awash with them...I used to swap them up at Tower Records in Piccadilly as they were so cheap.

The covers are very thin card and are copies of the original US releases with an additional label logo and/or the US catalogue number details often blocked out. There was also an import sticker on the back of them, which was hard to remove. Label-wise, they were more often than not on the later designs -i.e. the Bobby Valentin albums (as all three of the 60's titles were available) was originally on the gold Fania label with original name font, rather than the multicoloured one.

Yes, I believe these are legal reissues, but were they also available in large numbers in the US, France etc (plenty of them over here in Japan), and does anyone know exactly when they were pressed up...late 80's...early 90's?

Social source share

• Replies 11
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

I was buying them around 89 and before.They were always on that really flexible vinyl.There was loads done inc the Joe Battan Riot lp Tito puentes,Ricardo Ray,loads of Eddie and Charlie Palmieris and the lp with Titos Oddesey on it which was an in demand track at the time.Most of the Fanias used the seventies label style.

Social source share

I was buying them around 89 and before.They were always on that really flexible vinyl.There was loads done inc the Joe Battan Riot lp Tito puentes,Ricardo Ray,loads of Eddie and Charlie Palmieris and the lp with Titos Oddesey on it which was an in demand track at the time.Most of the Fanias used the seventies label style.

True...all the Jazz stores had them en masse...Mr.Bongo, Honest Jons, Molejazz as well as the major Tower, HMV and Virgin stores at the time...and what was the name of that shop under the Trocadero that only lasted a short time...excellent stuff...and that shop down Turnpike Lane...Percy ran it, who also set up shop at the Jazz Cafe!?. Happy days.

Edited by Flynny
Social source share

yeah, i don't call them originals but I think some of these Venezuelan/Colombian presses go back to the 70s at least. Usually the price is right though to file them as a placeholder until you come across clean originals (which is more & more difficult these days). I kinda hate the later "palm tree" style Fania labels on them & as stated the flimsy vinyl & covers. I believe the Fania & Cotique titles are pressed from the masters while the Alegre & Tico ones tend to not be (& the sound varies with those as you'd expect). These days it seems the only way you're gonna easily find some of the great titles at affordable prices is on these Venezuelan presses or the recent reissues. (unless you live in NYC or Florida & are searching diligently or extremely lucky).

Social source share

Ah Mr Flynn....yes I moved to London in 87 was going to niters etc etc....but I thought the music got really bad.....beat ballads etc I was also going to the wag on Monday nights....but only upstairs....downstairs was for the rare groovers.I moved to the jazz scene hard Latin bop etc baz Fe jazz Paul Murphy etc etc...it was exciting music.I only started visiting northern dos again when the Ritz restarted ...as for record buying I was buying from Alan Riding in Dingwalls who because of his US girlfriend was bringing great stuff back...Got the Bobby Montez and pucho stuff off him.I remember buying loads of Latin and funk 45s cheap there as that scenevwas about the lp....I bouth the smokin.shades of black 45 there which I hear was a butch spin..

Social source share

Sorry for spelling doing it on mobile....I did buy off Percy from.outside the Jazz Cafe bought my Costanzo and Rene Bloch gear off him.Visited loads of the upnorth soul weekenders were funnily enough.....I was one of about 30 people who went from the jazzroom to listen to searlings northern sets...the modern room music was insipid.I've about 30 of those venezulan lps many of which were replaced by us origs.Mole jazz Alec from.soul jazz bluebird records Paddington...honest jons....record ans tape....there was a stall outside johns where I got a few Tubby Hayes lps....

Social source share

The ones in the shops from the late 80s were new pressings pressed by Palacio, who had bought out the rights for Venezuela from label owner Jerry Masucci, who needed the money for some investment. They were all done from masters which were of varying generations of originality, and were often of really bad pressing quality.

I can't tell if Manship's is one of those or a slightly earlier pressing (I'm not sure if the 80s ones had Palacio on the front cover). However it is certainly no earlier than 1976/77 when Fania began to use those palm tree labels.

Social source share

I can't tell if Manship's is one of those or a slightly earlier pressing (I'm not sure if the 80s ones had Palacio on the front cover).

Yep, the name is on the front of the sleeve on the late 80's press...bottom right...as seen on the auction copy.

Social source share

I remember the day that I got 'Titos Odyssey' on one of the Venezuelan reissues, I was in heaven.

Lots of great stuff too from Alan Riding, his girlfriend was Wendy who went on to do PR for Talking Loud.

https://youtu.be/OkxT4pqtTlc

Social source share

Sorry for spelling doing it on mobile....I did buy off Percy from.outside the Jazz Cafe bought my Costanzo and Rene Bloch gear off him.Visited loads of the upnorth soul weekenders were funnily enough.....I was one of about 30 people who went from the jazzroom to listen to searlings northern sets...the modern room music was insipid.I've about 30 of those venezulan lps many of which were replaced by us origs.Mole jazz Alec from.soul jazz bluebird records Paddington...honest jons....record ans tape....there was a stall outside johns where I got a few Tubby Hayes lps....

After Searling played a northern set to a capacity crowd in the Jazz Room, Baz fe Jazz took over and to a nearly empty room played Willis Jackson' Nurthern like Thurthern' as his first record, the first time I had ever heard, and remains to this day, my favourite jazz dance track.

Social source share

We probably went to a lot of the same gigs....the Willis Jackson was a big record....Titos O always reminds me of hot sweaty summer days....never seen a non flexi copy though.I used to go to the weekenders with Simon Mansell who did the jazz room for donkeys...Searling also did a northern spot in the modern room one year.Now Colin Curtis was on every year and I cant remember him doing a mecca or northern set....it was all bloody two step.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert