The Most Soulful Record That Made The Charts?

Dayo

• Replies 90
  • Views 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soul4life
Yes,not bad but the original version`s even better...
cant argue there! in the same era.. jimmy ruffin " what becomes of the broken hearted" :D
Social source share

Guest Dirk Tiggler

This is a really good question - so good I'm recording my 1st post. My initial reaction was it must Holland Dozier 'Why can't we be lovers?" but on reflection I think Gene Chandler "Does she have a friend for me?" is equally as good. While talking about Gene C don't forget "nothing can stop me" also charted. A near chart entry from '73 was "Stoned out of my mind" from the Chi-lites, a great record to warm up any venue. As it didn't chart I'll go with "Oh girl" instead. Regards to all Ada from "The Black Country"

Social source share

cant argue there! in the same era.. jimmy ruffin " what becomes of the broken hearted" :lol:

can`t argue there either..quite awesome... :yes:

"if you keep on doin what ya doin" Ruth Bo Kirkland

again, quite a nice record...and it IS a nice record to SH*G to !! Thanks for that geordiejohnson!

Edited by The Soul Intention
Social source share

This is a really good question - so good I'm recording my 1st post. My initial reaction was it must Holland Dozier 'Why can't we be lovers?" but on reflection I think Gene Chandler "Does she have a friend for me?" is equally as good. While talking about Gene C don't forget "nothing can stop me" also charted. A near chart entry from '73 was "Stoned out of my mind" from the Chi-lites, a great record to warm up any venue. As it didn't chart I'll go with "Oh girl" instead. Regards to all Ada from "The Black Country"

Warm welcome to the forum!

Social source share

Lou Rawls - You'll Never Find

New York City - I'm Doing Fine Now

HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUE NOTES- THE LOVE I LOST

HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUENOTES -I LOVE MUSIC

Ojays - Backstabbers

PHYLIS HYMAN - YOU KNOW HOW TO LOVE ME

Holland & Dozier - Why can't we be lovers

Sister Sledge - Thinking Of You

Gladys Knight - Taste of Bitter Love,

GEORGE BAD BENSON-SUPERSHIP

Spinners-Could It Be Im Falling In Love

What a great selection, but the words to Wake Up Everybody - HAROLD MELVIN AND THE BLUENOTES (with Teddy P singing) are fantastic! :lol:

Edited by karenb
Social source share

Guest soul4life

This is a really good question - so good I'm recording my 1st post. My initial reaction was it must Holland Dozier 'Why can't we be lovers?" but on reflection I think Gene Chandler "Does she have a friend for me?" is equally as good. While talking about Gene C don't forget "nothing can stop me" also charted. A near chart entry from '73 was "Stoned out of my mind" from the Chi-lites, a great record to warm up any venue. As it didn't chart I'll go with "Oh girl" instead.

Regards to all Ada from "The Black Country"

DITTO! a very warm welcome ada...just thought of another but not sure if it was released in the u.k?

JAMES BROWN " ITS A MANS WORLD" the godfather at his soulfull best!!! :lol:

Social source share

DITTO! a very warm welcome ada...just thought of another but not sure if it was released in the u.k?

JAMES BROWN " ITS A MANS WORLD" the godfather at his soulfull best!!! :lol:

Sure was released in the UK; originally on Pye International 25371. Probably ona few re-issues too. Not sure if it made the charts, maybe lower reaches. Good choice. :yes:

Social source share

More recently, I watched Alicia Keys sing You Don't Know My Name live on Top Of The Pops - absolutely superb, seriously soulful as well! Also thought the John Legend Ordinary People remix (his best effort, by far) was an excellent soulful release as well.

Steve.

Social source share

Shane

Perhaps I'm missing something here. You're not the first to suggest this track. I've always thought it was a tad poppy. I'll go revisit it.

Colin

great record. not many have such mass appeal and still retain such quality imo.

fave of Pete-s if i am right?

Shane

Social source share

Lee Ryan, the pop star of 'blue' fame stated soul music as his major influence on tv this morning. he said his fave soul acts were 'mike & the mechanics' and 'chicago' :lol:

some people eh? :yes:

Shane

Social source share

great record. not many have such mass appeal and still retain such quality imo.

fave of Pete-s if i am right?

Shane

Somewhat bizzarely - yes it is - absolutely brilliant record. I've got it in with my northern records but only because I keep forgetting where I've put it!.

Social source share

Guest Brian Ellis

I've got it in with my northern records but only because I keep forgetting where I've put it!.

How do you know it's with your northern records if you keep forgetting where you put it? :lol:

Brian

Social source share

Can't believe that nobody has mentioned - so I'll do it for you

"Walk Away From Love" - David Ruffin

AWESOME!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Bugger, read the thread title and was just about to post up the same thing!! Got to agree, brilliant stuff from,possibly, the best voice in soul music...but that's another thread :yes:

Social source share

How do you know it's with your northern records if you keep forgetting where you put it? :lol:

Brian

Because...er....my pop/rock/whatever records are all over the place but there's one shelf with my own little collection of northern, so I know it's always there...I think

Social source share

sister sledge - thinkin of you

:yes::(:yes::lol:

Shane

How about that then - I agree! :yes:

Walk Away From Love - David Ruffin - Brilliant! :yes:

Love Machine - The Miracles - takes me back :yes:

Social source share

Guest soul4life

just thought of a more rescent u.k soul release! early nineties magic from?

KENNY THOMAS " BEST OF YOU " :P:P:P

also

LOOSE ENDS " LOVE CONTROVERSY " :P:P:P

Social source share

GET DOWN ON SATURDAY NIGHT-OLIVER CHEATMANN

GIVE ME THE NIGHT-GEORGE BENSON

KASHIF-I JUST GOTTA HAVE YOU(LOVER TURN ME ON)

THATS MY MOST SOULFULL TOP3

NICO

Social source share

GET DOWN ON SATURDAY NIGHT-OLIVER CHEATMANN

GIVE ME THE NIGHT-GEORGE BENSON

KASHIF-I JUST GOTTA HAVE YOU(LOVER TURN ME ON)

THATS MY MOST SOULFULL TOP3

NICO

I forgot about them, shouldnt have as I agree great 'records' :P:P

Social source share

Guest soul4life

Mind you, most of Kenny Thomas has to be classed as 'Most Soulful . . .' :P

anyone know whether he will be 'touring' again soon?

hi karen, kenny has a new album coming out very soon! so would think he has sum live gigs! in the works to promote the album..cant wait to see him again as he was awesome at fleetwood. best terry :P
Social source share

Guest soul4life

one artist that hasnt been mentioned yet? got to see her in concert and was blown away by her performance! this track stormed up the charts...

ANITA BAKER " RAPTURE" blush.gif:P:P

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert