Most Soulful Disco Record?

Dayo

In another thread I've been waxing on about the mind blowing DJ skills of Norman Jay. One of the tunes he played on Saturday that made me tingle was Jackie Moore's, This Time Baby. Shamefaced to admit that I'd forgotten what an awesome slab of soul music this is. :thumbsup:

Set me thinking....

This might be a non starter, but what is your opinion on soul in 70's disco music? Any faves?

We most of us love Salsoul, so let me kick it off with Double Exposure, 10 Per Cent (Walter Gibbons 12 inch mix).

Has there ever been a more soulful disco record?

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

• Replies 54
  • Views 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest soul4life

so many to choose from but onr track that blew me away the first time i heard it was...

JOHNNY BRISTOL " LOVE HAS GOT A HOLD OF ME" :thumbsup::thumbsup::ohmy:

Social source share

Guest soul4life

so many to choose from but onr track that blew me away the first time i heard it was...

JOHNNY BRISTOL " LOVE HAS GOT A HOLD OF ME" :thumbsup::thumbsup::ohmy:

sorry had a mind block!!!! " LOVE NO LONGER HAS A HOLD ON ME"
Social source share

Four Below Zero :ohmy:

Lolleata Holloway / "Dreaming" :ohmy::thumbsup:

Two good calls there ...

what about Booker T (Jones) "Don't stop your love" A&M full 12" version? See the Masters at Work have featured this in their sets before now ... hits the spot for me. :thumbsup:

Steve

Social source share

In another thread I've been waxing on about the mind blowing DJ skills of Norman Jay. One of the tunes he played on Saturday that made me tingle was Jackie Moore's, This Time Baby. Shamefaced to admit that I'd forgotten what an awesome slab of soul music this is. :thumbsup:

Set me thinking....

This might be a non starter, but what is your opinion on soul in 70's disco music? Any faves?

We most of us love Salsoul, so let me kick it off with Double Exposure, 10 Per Cent (Walter Gibbons 12 inch mix).

Philly Allstars Clean up the Ghetto. Does that count ?

Steve

Social source share

Must be tons of them....

Teddy P - More I Get

Dells - All About The Paper

Best Friend Around - So Good To Know

GQ - Make My Dreams Reality

Norman Connors - Once I've Been There..................

.................and on and on (the beat goes on and on.... :thumbsup: )

Ellipsis "People" Briarmeade.

Wouldn't class that as even remotely disco personally. It's a magnicifent record but no way disco.

Edited by J-Brew
Social source share

Bought this for £3.00 recently and played it out a few times to a superb reaction. I,d forgotten how good it was to :thumbsup:

Steve

Social source share

On reflection Ellipsis is not disco-ey enought to warrrant such an epithet, agree that it's a brilliant record. How about Bileo? that's almost definitely disco, with it's 'climbing' bassline.

I suppose Rideout and Wes Black could also be classed as an attempt at 'disco', but again, late 70's with a 4/4 beat doesn't necessarily equal 'disco'...some people would reckon so but next to the ones I mentioned earlier I know which have more in common with disco.

Social source share

How are you Colin? I refuse to bite on the Gayle Adams line of questioning. I will say that I think she was a pretty good singer, and really rate her 12" on MCA with Tyrone 'The Smurf' Brunson "In This Love Triangle" from about 1985 or 86, but that's for another thread, really.

Soulful disco: how about The Controllers "People Want Music." I think that's a pretty good case of people who typically made very soulful music clambering on board the disco bandwagon and making a record which is both very soulful and very disco-ey.

Social source share

In another thread I've been waxing on about the mind blowing DJ skills of Norman Jay. One of the tunes he played on Saturday that made me tingle was Jackie Moore's, This Time Baby. Shamefaced to admit that I'd forgotten what an awesome slab of soul music this is. :rolleyes:

Set me thinking....

TEN CITY- THAT`S THE WAY LOVE IS (Underground Mix by Timmy Regisford with the violin strings-not the Steve "Silk" Hurley mix-that`s awful)

CAMEO-FIND MY WAY

ROSE ROYCE- IS IT LOVE YOU`RE AFTER

Social source share

There's loads of stuff. Just grabbed a bunch of 45s from my 70s/80s section of my DJ case and came up with:

King Tutt - You've got Me Hung Up - FUN CITY

Jackey Beavers - Trying To Get Back To You Girl - DADE

South Shore Commission - We're On The Right Track - WAND

Las Vegas Connection - Give Me Your Love - HEP' ME

Majik - Back Into Your Heart - HI

Charles Jackson - I'm Gonna Get Your Love - CAPITOL

Grey & Hanks - Now I'm Fine - RCA

Honey Cone - Somebody Is Always Messing Up A Good Thing - HOT WAX

O.V. Wright - Into Something (Can't Shake Loose) - HI

And indeed, Bileo, Curtis, Rare Pleasure, Four Below Zero are all up there as well.

Love that pounding stuff. :rolleyes:

Social source share

Soulsmith said:
Not heard that one Dan. But I do really like "Crazy Love" by them.

Not high in soul content but good uplifting tune.

here you go :rolleyes:

Social source share

So not all good 'modern' records are broken then?

If you reasd back over my million posts you'll see that I've always said I liked the uptempo 4/4 beat 70's records that were played, Summer In The Parks, Love Knocked You Down, Can You Imagine That etc...it's the dreary shit I don't like

Social source share

I am my usual antagonistic self.

But thanks for asking.

Anyone remember Fat Larrys Band - 'Motown Review' or 'Centre City'

Not really that soulful but brilliant to dance to.

Col.

Col, talking of Fat larry's band, have you heard "Lookin' for Love Tonight" and as an aside, his one time wife, was the lead singer with Slick who cut"Space Bass" another great disco track.

Social source share

Col, talking of Fat larry's band, have you heard "Lookin' for Love Tonight" and as an aside, his one time wife, was the lead singer with Slick who cut"Space Bass" another great disco track.

Really like Lookin' for Love Tonight, although its been years since I've heard it.

Space Bass, well thats another story! One of those records made me realise I could never again hack it in a normal club. How right I was to reject the jazz funk scene & follow the true path......

Social source share

Really like Lookin' for Love Tonight, although its been years since I've heard it.

Space Bass, well thats another story! One of those records made me realise I could never again hack it in a normal club. How right I was to reject the jazz funk scene & follow the true path......

Now you've mentioned Jazz Funk how about "Dancing in outer space - Atmosfear?

The dirtiest bassline you'll ever hear, Love it...

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Guest Kill_a_pig

I am my usual antagonistic self.

But thanks for asking.

Anyone remember Fat Larrys Band - 'Motown Review' or 'Centre City'

Not really that soulful but brilliant to dance to.

Col.

Fat Larrys Band "Centre City" what a fantastic tune. Just dug it out and yes, it is soulful too. Play it again. Please.

A top few disco soul tunes:

Teddy Prendergass "I Dont Love You Anymore".

Originals "Down To Love Town".

Curtis "How Can I Tell Her".

Kashif "Rumors".

Billy Nichols "Diamond Ring"

and the best by a country mile:

Kumano "I'll Cry For You".

Social source share

and the best by a country mile:

Kumano "I'll Cry For You".

Yeah ... great call - but this time I'm gonna do a Steve G and say it's got to be the Prelude 7" version ... that longer album version with the never-ending instrumental break is sooooo boring!!!

Steve

Social source share

Guest soul4life

a great track i dont believe has been mentioned yet! was released as a disco release but to me is a classic modern soul anthem!!!!

LEW KIRTON " HEAVEN IN THE AFTERNOON" released on T.K DISCO 12INCH ( AWESOME) :lol:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert