The Best Dj In The World

Dayo

Well, this might ruffle a few die hard feathers, but Saturday night in Birmingham I had an experience that was borderline spiritual.

Was lucky enough to catch Norman Jay at the Medicine Bar. The guy blew me away and turned my musical world inside out and upside down. I've never heard such a tasteful, eclectic, diverse and exciting mix of soulful dance music in my life. From cutting edge funky house to rare groove and classic jazz funk; every track seemed more perfect than the last. And when it ended with Sly Stone's Dance to the Music (haven't heard this out in years) - the crowd were in raptures.

It was a perfect set, with a perfect crowd and I'm certain that I've seen the best soul DJ in the world. To be honest, even the best nights I've enjoyed on the Northern scene couldn't compare for atmosphere and the sense of togetherness.

One question; NJ played a track that gave me goosebumps on my goosebumps. I feel like I ought to know it but I can't place it for the life of me.

Clues:

A female vocalist. Perhaps southern? Think of Candi Staton, though it's probably not her. It'd be medium tempo and it sounded seventies. The snatch of lyric I remember on the chorus goes something like this: "...I could easily be persuaded".

Record detectives please help me out! And if you have an open musical mind please catch Norman Jay's Good Times set. You won't regret it, the man is awesome :thumbsup:

Edited by Dayo
Social source share

• Replies 30
  • Views 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

One question; NJ played a track that gave me goosebumps on my goosebumps. I feel like I ought to know it but I can't place it for the life of me.

Clues:

A female vocalist. Perhaps southern? Think of Candi Staton, though it's probably not her. It'd be medium tempo and it sounded seventies. The snatch of lyric I remember on the chorus goes something like this: "...I could easily be persuaded".

Not June Conquest, no?

Social source share

Steve - you're a star! That's the one. Thank you! :thumbsup:

What a powerhouse when it's played at a zillion watts. I'm guessing this is Motown? Was it a single? Info please anyone....

Dayo, it's off the "Natural Resources" Lp from 1970, same one that gave us her "Love Guess Who". glad ya got the tune sorted mate, kno wot it's like when ya ratching to put a name to a tune :thumbsup:

steve

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

It's an album track, but it is probably worth buying it on one of the pretty average compilations it features on, it will be probably be remastered on one of the recent compilations, which I would guess is what Norman Jay was playing it off. :ohmy:

You'd be better off trying to track down Honey and the Bees "Love Addict" on Arctic. :thumbsup:

Dayo, hope you don't mind me asking, but do you get out much? Either you don't or alot of people will be wanting to know what you had that night! :thumbsup:

Edited by James Trouble
Social source share

:thumbsup:

Dayo, hope you don't mind me asking, but do you get out much? Either you don't or alot of people will be wanting to know what you had that night! :ohmy:

I don't get to many Northern nights these days, but, aside from a break at the turn of the 80's/90's, I've been clubbing for more than 30 years. Most recently Funky Fish in Brighton (mad!), Fuel and Moneypennys in Brum. Funky/soulful house/garage has been my weekend thing, but it's been a compromise really.

I couldn't possibly answer the second question :thumbsup:

Social source share

Interesting post Dayo, quite a few people both within - and outside of - the Rare Soul Scene have over the years said that guys like Norman Jay and Eddie Piller for example could easily be leading DJs on the Northern/Rare Soul Scene as they have the depth of collections and knowledge to do it. Are guys like Jay and Piller outsiders to northern fans ? Or could they be welcomed in to the scene ?

Wonder if anyone on Soul Source listened to what Keb Darge had to say about Norman Jay in Keb's recently posted interview about the Northern Scene .. not very complimentary at all !!!

Social source share

Guest dundeedavie

even though i am a 60's r'n'b type person i really like norman jay and have been a member of his website for a while now .... very interesting getting into arguments on the crate diggers forum

Davie

Social source share

Are guys like Jay and Piller outsiders to northern fans ? Or could they be welcomed in to the scene ?

Eddie Piller turned up at the Rimini week-ender to meet friends. As far as I'm aware he's fairly well respected amongst the modern soul fraternity (many of whom are ex-northern soul types)

Think he put out the Alice Clark track - Don't You Care. Real nice bit of crossover.

Col

Social source share

Eddie Piller turned up at the Rimini week-ender to meet friends. As far as I'm aware he's fairly well respected amongst the modern soul fraternity (many of whom are ex-northern soul types)

Think he put out the Alice Clark track - Don't You Care. Real nice bit of crossover.

Col

To my mind Eddie's more of a northern guy than a modern guy Col - ex Scooterist etc., though obviously he had the Acid Jazz label etc. and has been involved in producing contemporary music for some years. Never really thought of him as a modern soul jock though. :thumbsup:

Social source share

To my mind Eddie's more of a northern guy than a modern guy Col - ex Scooterist etc., though obviously he had the Acid Jazz label etc. and has been involved in producing contemporary music for some years. Never really thought of him as a modern soul jock though. :rolleyes:

True. I've dj'd with him before, top bloke. he's dj'd at the 100 also, not that long ago.

Social source share

Guest Stuart T

Nice track but utterly played out and reissued a few times years ago. Looking at a lot of the recent compilations aimed at that sort of audience many of the tracks have been put out several times with only one or two new tracks included, all rather boring after a while.

Norman Jay is great as a party DJ and has played some great sounds over the years, flatmate of mine was a big fan of his radio show and there was always something that really made me stop and listen. Not cutting edge and I doubt whether he thinks he is or wants to be, but I doubt whether I'd pay the price to hear him play out. I doubt whether he or Eddie Piller seem to have the records to be top northern DJs though would they want to be? NJ probably gets paid loads more than any northern soul DJ. Or maybe people don't want DJs playing expensive rareties all night (often the same ones :angry: )?

ex Scooterist etc.,

:rolleyes: Piller? Scruffy Ilford mod more like, if he reads that he will want to sue you!

Social source share

Ed's, got a broad based knowledge of Soul music, and can combine Modern through Crossover to Northern. His shows on Soul 24-7.com were entertaining and interesting whilst still being soulful.

His shows on terrestrial radio were also well listened too. Worth noting also, is his very professional style of presentation. It's a shame really that he doesn't get the opportunity to DJ, that much on the UK Soul scene. Whenever I've seen him do a set it's always been well received and delivered IMHO.

Social source share

Ed's, got a broad based knowledge of Soul music, and can combine Modern through Crossover to Northern. His shows on Soul 24-7.com were entertaining and interesting whilst still being soulful.

His shows on terrestrial radio were also well listened too. Worth noting also, is his very professional style of presentation. It's a shame really that he doesn't get the opportunity to DJ, that much on the UK Soul scene. Whenever I've seen him do a set it's always been well received and delivered IMHO.

Totally agree with you Darce!.............We've had Ed on twice at Valatone...... sounded great both times and we'll be having him on again this year!!

Social source share

Ive met eddie real nice guy,but couldnt see him makeing an impression on the northern scene.

He allready as Andy,you cant rewrite history to please your`self,get a grip,he could smile a bit more though :rolleyes:

Social source share

Guest Soultown andy

not up here he,s not,played to about 10 people at blackpool,last post on this site sick to death of every post being pulled up.

Social source share

Guest James Trouble

Ooops! Sorry about the confusion. Over hasty posting! Totally agree - Love adict is a great little tune.

"little" ? :shades: I'd wager that lord sir Norman Jay obe mbe etc has never seen a copy. But then I spose it's not 'rare' in the same way his 'rare groove' is, now is it? sad.gif

Sorry, I'm sure he was great, and so was 'rare groove', honest guv. :rolleyes::shades:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert