Jimmie Raye - Philly Dog 'remastered'?

George G

Clearly this is not the original....but the info says 'remastered' - is this a legit better sounding release or just a new euphemism for pressing or boot? I know I can listen to the sound clip but it's hard to tell if different when listening on a computer vs my original copy which has some wear.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/JIMMIE-RAYE-Philly-Dog-Around-The-World-KKC-Records-002-Northern-Soul-45-Listen-/110974909973?pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item19d69ebe15#ht_4580wt_1003

Social source share

didnt it also come out on dark blue look a like boot which may have caught some people out?? , if i remember right the sound dipped a bit somewhere in the record

Yes there was a dark blue styrene one done in 77 with different label design to the original.

Kim Kimborough not around anymore I don't think?

Social source share

didnt it also come out on dark blue look a like boot which may have caught some people out?? , if i remember right the sound dipped a bit somewhere in the record

Grant you are spot in, the dip comes just before the second chorus I think, the dark blue ones were followed very closely by these pale blue ones, I remember soaking one of those in bleach and it turned it white and everyone thought I'd got a white demo :lol:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Yes there was a dark blue styrene one done in 77 with different label design to the original.

Kim Kimborough not around anymore I don't think?

Steve the one Grant is talking about is vinyl and is identical to the original apart from not having a stamp. Just sold mine on here less than 3 weeks back.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve the one Grant is talking about is vinyl and is identical to the original apart from not having a stamp. Just sold mine on here less than 3 weeks back.

I thought the title on those dark blue boots was silver, and black on the original, or am I mis-remembering something - again!

Social source share

I thought the title on those dark blue boots was silver, and black on the original, or am I mis-remembering something - again!

No the original has silver lettering mate. He has another single on KKC, also with Philly Dog in the title I think, that has a red label with black lettering.

370100566892.jpg

B side is Philadelphia Dawg on the one below

200597154531.jpg

Edited by Pete S
Social source share

:lol: thats how i find stuff on ebay that no-one spots Pete, now wheres that caffiene :D

Did you know there's a actually a search engine that will do that for you - look for something specific but with slight misspellings, for instance if you want to search for MIDDLETON it'll automatically search for Moddleton, Middletin and so on.

Did you invent it Grant? :lol:

Social source share

Did you know there's a actually a search engine that will do that for you - look for something specific but with slight misspellings, for instance if you want to search for MIDDLETON it'll automatically search for Moddleton, Middletin and so on.

Did you invent it Grant? :lol:

:shhh::lol:

Social source share

Thanks for answering. :thumbup: I still am not sure if in general 'remastered' is used to describe boots/pressings.

Also on the original 45 the silver appears much shinier than on the boots. Not something I would want to gamble on in a dark room. I listened to the clip vs original in detail and even with my copy having lost some high end brightness to play wear it still sounds better.

Social source share

Thanks for answering. :thumbup: I still am not sure if in general 'remastered' is used to describe boots/pressings.

Also on the original 45 the silver appears much shinier than on the boots. Not something I would want to gamble on in a dark room. I listened to the clip vs original in detail and even with my copy having lost some high end brightness to play wear it still sounds better.

But the record he is selling has not been remastered in the slightest, it's a 1977 bootleg and will be the same quality as all the other copies. If it sounds different, he's rejigged the audio file.

Social source share

talkin of jimmy (jimmie) raye, anyone remember some unrelased thing that was doin the rounds a good few years back, not sure if JR was a cover up name name as wouldnt have seen the point as i believe was a one-off acetate, sure it was called 'Grab It' bit 'blaxploitation' sounding but very good.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!