Trendy 'funky Stuff' Versus The Mighty Sixties Beat Ballad

Mal C

Can't they be both? Soul and a beat ballad?

Here's one that I've always thought was great! Hey.......written by a white bloke, produced by two white blokes and even (god forbid), sung by a white bloke! Even published by the same company that had Paul Simon and that there soulful Neil Sedaka as clients! That should be more enough to get you steaming! :lol::thumbup:

Tin Pan Alley at it's best.... :thumbsup:

Regards,

Dave

Superb Dave.Yeah Jimmy Beaumont's "I Never Loved Her Anyway" that man Mike Lewis, been checking and picking up stuff that him and Stuart Weiner did. they had that knack of the "beat ballad" way, and not in a Dean Martin way at all! Stoppers on Jubilee (Beat Ballad?, Mid Tempo? or just Mid Tempo Beat Ballad?) and Jackie Taylor are two that have the right ingredients for me.

Steve

Stoppers - "Come Back Baby"

https://youtu.be/I-Yub8S0gFM

Jackie Taylor - "Walkin' Back"

https://youtu.be/oqEolQMWlbU

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Hey up Mal great thread.

Don't know whether it's my computer, my settings or summat but it's taken at least 40 minutes to read all 4 pages of the thread from start to finish (whinge whinge moan moan).

With all the YouTube links (which I love) and replies which include the same YouTube links again, my computer just goes into stuttering meltdown when trying to turn a page over hahaha.

Takes at least 5 minutes to load a new page (does this happen to anybody else?) nearly threw a wobbler several times miself.

Anyway, after all that I'm gonna add a YouTube link to slow the whole thread down even more......

Jesse James come on down those stairs - it's your time to shine.

derek x

Edited by Derek Pearson
Social source share

Guest Dave Turner

Hey up Mal great thread.

Don't know whether it's my computer, my settings or summat but it's taken at least 40 minutes to read all 4 pages of the thread from start to finish (whinge whinge moan moan).

With all the YouTube links (which I love) and replies which include the same YouTube links again, my computer just goes into stuttering meltdown when trying to turn a page over hahaha.

Takes at least 5 minutes to load a new page (does this happen to anybody else?) nearly threw a wobbler several times miself.

Anyway, after all that I'm gonna add a YouTube link to slow the whole thread down even more......

Jesse James come on down those stairs - it's your time to shine.

derek x

Derek, not you mate. This thread takes some loading for me as well. Possibly all the Youtube clips slowing it down.

Social source share

Superb Dave.Yeah Jimmy Beaumont's "I Never Loved Her Anyway" that man Mike Lewis, been checking and picking up stuff that him and Stuart Weiner did. they had that knack of the "beat ballad" way, and not in a Dean Martin way at all! Stoppers on Jubilee (Beat Ballad?, Mid Tempo? or just Mid Tempo Beat Ballad?) and Jackie Taylor are two that have the right ingredients for me.

Steve

Interestingly both done by Lewis and Wiener on Roddie Joy first. Personally think her versions of both are better, particularly Come Back Baby. Speaking of Jackie Taylor though I love his lead on The Skyliners "The Loser".

Edited by garethx
Social source share

If you play this thing of beauty any way other than it was heard to be made you are certifiably insane.

Ady send the boys round with the straight-jacket and the "nail clippers", sort it out!

LOL.You are quite right Jocko.I'd quaffed a bottle of Dave Abbott Shiraz,so please ignore the pitching down comment.

Social source share

Steve

The Stopper is such a f*cking great record. Oozes quality, style, vocal brilliance and is just so deeply cool.

Edited by corbett80
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

I was OK with a lot of that shit, until it came to this:

watch?v=0X_rMV7NYO8

At which juncture, I baled out & stayed out for > 30 years.

Compare it to this:

watch?v=NzvHkUhGkrw

Edited by Droylsdonian
Social source share

The slower, down tempo, or beat-ballad 60's atmospheric or big city sound that reached max popularity around the late Stafford period seems to have been out of favour for a long time now, apart from the odd spin or two, still get a few down the 100 Club, like Lou Johnson's version of Roy Hamilton. Personally, I love these kind of tracks, but think you'll hear less and less at various venues as we progress? thru' the earlier parts of the 21st century. I think a lot of the great, known and lesser known 60's Soul items, whether they are fast, mid-tempo, or slower are sounding very dated now (which, of course, they bloody well are) !! Lovely things to have in your collection at home, such as the Garland Green's, Roy C's ' Gone gone ', etc, but most venues and dance floor expressionists seem to favour quicker tempo later 60's and 70's, and slightly more funky soul mover-groovers.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Guest Droylsdonian

I've heard some fantastical excuses as to why folk dropped off the scene, this however has got to be up there with the kids n mortgage nugget..... :lol:

Best Russ

LOL mate - glad to see the irony wasn't lost on you. Sport,actually.

That little jink of the feet - that little rolling over onto the outer welts of yer Royals & back when both feet are momentarily static & parallel - that's how you tell a 'funky' NS lover. So I stopped when I found mesen doing that. :wink: Is that equally unbelievable? I would be a tad embarrassed to do it now, but I can recognise it @ a thousand paces & it still goes on.

Does anyone want to 'out' themsen?

P@

ps I still do it @ home :shhh:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!