Disco

Barry

dis·co (dibreve.gifsprime.gifkomacr.gif)

n. pl. dis·cos

A discotheque.

a.
Popular dance music, especially of the late 1970s, characterized by strong repetitive bass rhythms.

b.
A style of dancing usually done to disco music.

intr.v. dis·coed, dis·co·ing, dis·cos

To dance to disco music.

[short for discotheque.]

disco [ˈdɪskəʊ]

n pl -cos

(Music / Pop Music)

a.
an occasion at which typically young people dance to amplified pop records, usually compered by a disc jockey and featuring special lighting effects

b.
(
as modifier
)
disco dancing

(Music / Pop Music) a nightclub or other public place where such dances take place

(Music / Pop Music) mobile equipment, usually accompanied by a disc jockey who operates it, for providing music for a disco

(Music / Pop Music)

a.
a type of dance music designed to be played in discos, with a solid thump on each beat

b.
(
as modifier
)
a disco record

[shortened from discotheque]

I'm all for it!!

:thumbup:

Social source share

Check out-

The Strikers- Inch By Inch or Body Music

Unlimited Touch- Searching To Find The One

Proper Disco :-)

I don't think I'd call either of those Disco to be honest. Both pure 80's Paradise Garage tracks to these ears. I only consider 70's stuff to be Disco in the pure sense of the world........

Ian D :D

• Helpful 2
Social source share

Are we now grown up enough to understand it?

Discuss

I am, you are.. I couldn't give a shit about the rest.. It just means we can look disaprovingly at people like we normally do.

Social source share

I pose some questions on this site with a knowing hesitancy as to what road half the replies are going to go down, which can be tiresome really but I do it anyway I suppose just to prove mesen right.

As for a definition, you should know by now what would be the relevant quality productions, major and Indie that would deem me posing such a question on a site inhabited by so called muso's. :wink:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Thing is it's more a case of 'are you grown up enough to recognise that 90% of the danceable modern soul played northern events is 100% disco - though often somewhat atypical'... Good old northern inverted snobbery drawing lines in the sand that don't exist.

Anyone who doesn't think something like Weekend by Phreek is pure brilliance is dead from the neck up.

Dx

Should be arrested for crimes against taste and wasting good vinyl.

Social source share

I pose some questions on this site with a knowing hesitancy as to what road half the replies are going to go down, which can be tiresome really but I do it anyway I suppose just to prove mesen right.

As for a definition, you should know by now what would be the relevant quality productions, major and Indie that would deem me posing such a question on a site inhabited by so called muso's. :wink:

Ah yes, but covering what years? Disco records are still being made now.... and what about the crop of remixed compilations like the brilliant Philadelphia International one that Ian Dewhirst put together, can we include the remixed tracks? Do we include Italo Disco? How about 'Disco Duck' a hit, and the word disco in the title, does that merit discussion? Are different mixes allowed to be discussed, as they are not 'original' in the true sense of the word, and were often extra tracks on the 2nd issue of a 12". A lot of remixes were just white labels spread amongst the select few DJs, and not 'official'. How snobbish is it ok to be.... especially when wearing platform shoes, a curly perm, and spandex?.....

:wicked::D

Social source share

Ah yes, but covering what years? Disco records are still being made now.... and what about the crop of remixed compilations like the brilliant Philadelphia International one that Ian Dewhirst put together, can we include the remixed tracks? Do we include Italo Disco? How about 'Disco Duck' a hit, and the word disco in the title, does that merit discussion? Are different mixes allowed to be discussed, as they are not 'original' in the true sense of the word, and were often extra tracks on the 2nd issue of a 12". A lot of remixes were just white labels spread amongst the select few DJs, and not 'official'. How snobbish is it ok to be.... especially when wearing platform shoes, a curly perm, and spandex?.....

:wicked::D

That is for you to decide. :wink:

Social source share

Should be arrested for crimes against taste and wasting good vinyl.

As I said... Anyone who doesn't think something like Weekend by Phreek is pure brilliance is dead from the neck up :wicked:

The likes of Ottawan, Tina Charles etc have about as much to do with proper disco as those appalling British pop versions you tried to foist on an innocent and unsuspecting world have to do with soul Pete - now THEY were an appalling waste of vinyl.

Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

As I said... Anyone who doesn't think something like Weekend by Phreek is pure brilliance is dead from the neck up :wicked:

The likes of Ottawan, Tina Charles etc have about as much to do with proper disco as those appalling British pop versions you tried to foist on an innocent and unsuspecting world have to do with soul Pete - now THEY were an appalling waste of vinyl.

Dx

Whatever.

Social source share

My First and last love will be Disco. I have collected some greatly produced Disco Instrumentals and Disco-Soul. Like most of the records i have tirelessly filed out digging, listening etc there is good and bad records in every category...so ignorance certainly wont help me collect nice records. Personally the smaller labels for me were the buzz records because they were far from pop. This kind of 'Happy Sound' appealed mostly to young people in the United States in the mid to late seventies. Much of this kind of music had very little appeal to adults as soul vocal's captured much of the attention. It became more poular for adult dancefloors when bigger artists and their bigger record labels influenced Dj's to entertain the club scene. Funk was harder and more relevent to the attitude on the streets of America during this time and so took a higher profile as far as energy instumentals go and certainly to black people in America where povery and unemployment were a reality. Disco intended to portray the ambition of "The American Dream" a winning sound, especially with the prominence of strings which set up a unique experience in the discoteque. The music worked because it tied in with the politics, fashion and 'wannabe' american lifestyle of that time. The artists/musicians were not too tight about categorising music. So many black artists were actually listening to country records, jazz and blues because this is what they grew up on. THE MUSIC in "general" progressed on as far back as Jazz in the 1920's were records were intended especially for the Discoteque along with Motown Soul, Sixties Soul, even... err House Music were all intended to feed nighclubs and so the saying.."You Pratt its all Disco..!!!" rings true for me anyway. Nowadays we have punters thinking they invented SOUL MUSIC describing "CROSSOVER"...the musicians will just laugh..its a bit silly really..tut tut tut..!! The Disco sound did penetrate the US, later gaining appeal in the southern districts (Home of Countrty Music), where, the dancing bridged alot of racial tension (NOT disco pop records that they show on the TV..!!!). This gives Disco a revolutionary appeal its a big Stamp. Sadly there was a consequence (The rebellion of Disco in 1977). As far as history goes this establishes Disco as a proven Genius. Its all down to taste, so, the Happy music will always have room in my record box..!!...so yes... long live Disco..bakersoul....................

Edited by bakersoul
  • Helpful 2
Social source share

I don't think I'd call either of those Disco to be honest. Both pure 80's Paradise Garage tracks to these ears. I only consider 70's stuff to be Disco in the pure sense of the world........

Ian D :D

Got to disagree with you there Ian, 45 seconds into Body Music, the word 'YOWSAH' can clearly be heard. In my world, that makes it Disco :-)

Social source share

My First and last love will be Disco. I have collected some greatly produced Disco Instrumentals and Disco-Soul. Like most of the records i have tirelessly filed out digging, listening etc there is good and bad records in every category...so ignorance certainly wont help me collect nice records. Personally the smaller labels for me were the buzz records because they were far from pop. This kind of 'Happy Sound' appealed mostly to young people in the United States in the mid to late seventies. Much of this kind of music had very little appeal to adults as soul vocal's captured much of the attention. It became more poular for adult dancefloors when bigger artists and their bigger record labels influenced Dj's to entertain the club scene. Funk was harder and more relevent to the attitude on the streets of America during this time and so took a higher profile as far as energy instumentals go and certainly to black people in America where povery and unemployment were a reality. Disco intended to portray the ambition of "The American Dream" a winning sound, especially with the prominence of strings which set up a unique experience in the discoteque. The music worked because it tied in with the politics, fashion and 'wannabe' american lifestyle of that time. The artists/musicians were not too tight about categorising music. So many black artists were actually listening to country records, jazz and blues because this is what they grew up on. THE MUSIC in "general" progressed on as far back as Jazz in the 1920's were records were intended especially for the Discoteque along with Motown Soul, Sixties Soul, even... err House Music were all intended to feed nighclubs and so the saying.."You Pratt its all Disco..!!!" rings true for me anyway. Nowadays we have punters thinking they invented SOUL MUSIC describing "CROSSOVER"...the musicians will just laugh..its a bit silly really..tut tut tut..!! The Disco sound did penetrate the US, later gaining appeal in the southern districts (Home of Countrty Music), where, the dancing bridged alot of racial tension (NOT disco pop records that they show on the TV..!!!). This gives Disco a revolutionary appeal its a big Stamp. Sadly there was a consequence (The rebellion of Disco in 1977). As far as history goes this establishes Disco as a proven Genius. Its all down to taste, so, the Happy music will always have room in my record box..!!...so yes... long live Disco..bakersoul....................

• Helpful 3
Social source share

Guest in town Mikey

Sort of reggae-disco

Yeah. Thinking back on it, it probably is. Cheers.

I dont like disco that isnt reggae influenced, but I do like Reggae that isnt disco influenced.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!