Sockin' Soul

Roburt

As I have made mention of Rex Garvin in my piece on Marie Knight, I thought I'd start this thread on a topic related to one of his big tracks.

Rex first came to my notice back in late 1966 when I heard (& bought) his UK Atlantic 45 "Sock It To Em, JB". This was a tribute to both James Bond & James Brown and got Rex lots of props back then.

To my knowledge this was the first use of the term "Sock It To Em" even though most US TV viewers thought it was a phrase invented for use on the 'Rowan & Martin Laugh In' show. Rex's Like 45 hit the US shops in May 66 and certainly seemed to be ahead of the curve in this respect.

In no time the term was taken up within the soul community ............

John Roberts was "Sockin 1,2,3,4" on Duke in late 67.

Syl Johnson was tellin folk to "Come On Sock It To Me" (Twilight) around the same time.

Johnny & Dolores were also "Sockin' Soul" on True Soul back in 1968

......................... see info on this track here .......

https://www.oxfordamerican.org/articles/2009/dec/08/johnny-and-dolores-true-sounds/

Simtec (Simmons) & Wylie (Dixon) were "Sockin Soul Power" for Toddlin Town in 1969

............ with Syl Johnson trying almost the same song at about the same time.

What other soul songs use similar phrases / words to get their message across (I must have missed a few above) ??

So "Sockin' Soul" became quite popular in the mid to late 1960's .............. but who originally came up with the term 'Sock It To' ????

Of course, Marvel Comic characters had been 'Sockin' people in the superhero cartoon strips for some time & the Batman TV show back then must have had at least a little influence on things (words such as 'Sock' coming up on screens when Batman hit a baddy during the shows).

But who really inspired the words to the song that Rex made into a mod / soul anthem back in the day ??

post-22122-0-70086900-1352558998_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

The UK band the Senate backed up loads of visiting US soul singers (Garnett Mimms, Ben E King, etc).

They also got to cut some tracks themselves, one of these (for United Artists) being a cover of "Sock It To Em, JB".

Another UK album featured a 'Sockin' track too ..................

post-22122-0-39318400-1352565805_thumb.j

post-22122-0-90191000-1352573220_thumb.j

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

US singer Little Joe Curtis cut "Sock Me Your Love", though I can't find what it's original label of release was (unless it was Somerset).

Then there was Bill Moss & his "Sock It To Em Soul Brother" (Bell; 1969).

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

US singer Little Joe Curtis cut "Sock Me Your Love", though I can't find what it's original label of release was (unless it was Somerset).

Then there was Bill Moss & his "Sock It To Em Soul Brother" (Bell; 1969).

Roburt a little off topic here, but regarding Little Joe Curtis, I've never come across any of his singles? only stuff I have by him is that LP of him with Otis Redding "Here Comes Some Soul" (mostly Little Joe tracks) an Alshire recording released over here on the budet Marble Arch label, have you come across any of his 45's? love the guy's voice.

Back on topic, I think the track you on about was on the LP as "Bring Back My Love"?? or am I getting confused (as usual :yes: )

Steve

Social source share

regarding Little Joe Curtis, I think the track you on about was on the LP as "Bring Back My Love"?? or am I getting confused (as usual :yes: )

Steve

Steve, Little Joe Curtis did have a strange recording career. I don't have info on 45's released on him.

I get the impression that guys who had copies of his tracks on master tape just sold them off for release by 3rd parties.

Certainly very similar LP's that featured his stuff escaped in the US, UK, Europe & (I think) Australia.

RE: "Bring Back My Love" / "Sock Me Your Love" -- this track escaped with both titles -- in the US it had the 1st title, outside the US (for some reason) it had the 2nd title ... plus on the US Somerset LP each track had the artist identified. On the non US versions, not all the tracks were attributed to an actual singer.

............ MOST STRANGE.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

Steve, Little Joe Curtis did have a strange recording career. I don't have info on 45's released on him.

I get the impression that guys who had copies of his tracks on master tape just sold them off for release by 3rd parties.

Certainly very similar LP's that featured his stuff escaped in the US, UK, Europe & (I think) Australia.

RE: "Bring Back My Love" / "Sock Me Your Love" -- this track escaped with both titles -- in the US it had the 1st title, outside the US (for some reason) it had the 2nd title ... plus on the US Somerset LP each track had the artist identified. On the non US versions, not all the tracks were attributed to an actual singer.

............ MOST STRANGE.

Roburt, thanx for the info, answers why I've never been able to find any 45's by Little Joe! If I remember right the Marble Arch LP over here did credit the artist to the track, 6 by Little Joe, and 4 by Otis.

I often wondered if Little Joe had material released under a different name?

atb

Steve

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!