Yvonne Vernee On Ebay 5/11

Now then Dave , Jimmy Gresham - teri de - I bought via Bedfords Steve cooper for £8 on my 21st birthday march 1979 , what a great double sider that was a vg copy . As for Jimmy Armstrong I,m sure you overcharged me. :P

Getting back on topic I sold a vg copy of Yvonne Vernee for a £1000 4 years ago , that was the 2nd copy I had ever had first one went to Todmorden Tim in the early 90s

I take it you must have been told the story from Steve at the time that the Jimmy Gresham was one of a stash of stuff that he got from that man

himself Leonard Jewell Smith from his house. The records Steve got from Len included a few more Teri-De items Soul Shakers, Penetrations, Groovers and most famously a legendary (at the time) copy of 'Bettin on Love' unfortunately with a crack, plus other assorted LJSmith penned/

produced items such as Lola Sands on Bison etc..

Social source share

Guest gordon russell

Terry,

My copy has 2 black crosses on 'Just like you did me' side and record is VG++ to M-

Could this be your old copy ? :g:

Could be mate......think my copy winged it,s way north....a good way to tell is ....if the label is orange with black writing it might be lol :lol:

Social source share

i had all those hammie sadly no longer bought the cracked len jewell for 35 quid of andy spencer sold it to Tim Brown for 1750 quid a good few years later

You and Tony really know how to thump Todmorden Timmy for a record the poor wee lad :wicked:

I don't know how you sleep at night :lol:

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Did Chris Plant have Karmello Brooks for £25....was told someone did around d the time he sold up?

What is he doing now?

I Don't think Karmello Brooks was going for more £10 at the time, got one of Pete Lawson for £8 at Stafford.

I'm sure Stafford was still going when Andy sold up, I was on a meagre apprentice's wages of £75 a week, so could only afford £35 for Martha Star Love Is The Only Solution & Billy Kennedy w/d on Thelma, though I'm sure I bought some other stuff.

Edited by Tony Smith
Social source share

I Don't think Karmello Brooks was going for more £10 at the time, got one of Pete Lawson for £8 at Stafford.

I'm sure Stafford was still going when Andy sold up, I was on a meagre apprentice's wages of £75 a week, so could only afford £35 for Martha Star Love Is The Only Solution & Billy Kennedy w/d on Thelma, though I'm sure I bought some other stuff.

Last Stafford February 1986.

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I remember the Jimmy Burns wanted that but out of my reach at the time sure he had chuck flamingo as well with many others Andy Spencer another blast from the past bit like Dave Knight but thats another time - Tony love the story's if only we new ?

Social source share

Sorry Tony

Andy was still very much a active collector after Stafford. There was a handful of allnighter's after the Top Of The World at the South End Working Man's club (In the outskirts of Stafford, an Alan Johnson Promotion) During one of these Andy beat me to a Larry Wright "Sweet Sweet Kisses" off Derek Pearson for £25 :thumbsup:

• Helpful 1
Social source share

I take it you must have been told the story from Steve at the time that the Jimmy Gresham was one of a stash of stuff that he got from that man

himself Leonard Jewell Smith from his house. The records Steve got from Len included a few more Teri-De items Soul Shakers, Penetrations, Groovers and most famously a legendary (at the time) copy of 'Bettin on Love' unfortunately with a crack, plus other assorted LJSmith penned/

produced items such as Lola Sands on Bison etc..

Yes Steve told me at the time , there was also a green issue of the Capitals -omen in that batch , which Miles Grayson signed but I,m not sure if Miles was at Lens house that day or if it was signed before . Do you still see Steve perhaps he could clarify

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

I remember the Jimmy Burns wanted that but out of my reach at the time sure he had chuck flamingo as well with many others Andy Spencer another blast from the past bit like Dave Knight but thats another time - Tony love the story's if only we new ?

Yes Remember Dave well I was buying some nice things from him mid 80s , I met him only once at Stafford where I had a copy of Gerri Shivers - Lets try it again - Pat from him for £40 , it was the one record i was missing from my Smoke and subsidary label Pat collection. Was the hardest one to find and nobody I spoke to knew it then.

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

you still got it Tony?

Yes still got it Ted ,Cant remember who bought it from Steve cooper in 79 , but I know Trev Polnee from Northampton owned it for a few years he then sold it on to Pat Blaker , I then got it from Pat about 10 years ago ,

Edited by midnight brew
Social source share

Sorry Tony

Andy was still very much a active collector after Stafford. There was a handful of allnighter's after the Top Of The World at the South End Working Man's club (In the outskirts of Stafford, an Alan Johnson Promotion) During one of these Andy beat me to a Larry Wright "Sweet Sweet Kisses" off Derek Pearson for £25 :thumbsup:

Well the old grey matter does let me down from time to time! :)

Edited by Tony Smith
  • Helpful 1
Social source share

Bunch of mercenaries, the lot of yer (bugger, wished I got in first)

Nothing mercenary about it at all, the prices mentioned in this thread where the market value's of that time and personally I never had enough money to buy everything i wanted at any given time. Likewise during the 70's when you could buy records for 50 pence and a pound you always had to for go on some titles in favour of the ones you wanted the most. invariable the ones you chose not to buy then cost you a arm and a leg somewhere further down the line. :yes:

I seem to remember that when Andy sold up the final sum of his collection was circa £12,000 to £13,000 (probably a year's salary back then in a well paid job).

A few months ago Andy appeared at a local soul night, he kinda mentioned to Ted and myself that he wouldn't mind buying a few things back Eddie Parker I' Gone etc. We told him to forget it, for him to buy back what he had in 1986 would cost him at current market values the best part of £500,000 if he could get them that is and this wouldn't include an of the rarer titles that have turned up during the last 25 years.

So we've all got some great memories but also a few regrets along the lines of why the hell didn't i buy that at the time :(

Dave

Edited by Louise
  • Helpful 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!